+ Reply to Thread
    RIP 6/29/19

response to JustaSpeedFreak

The following was copied from a post by JustaSpeedFreak in another thread:

this is just my humble...

OPINION:

why should i donate money to a bbs that shows blatant disregard for contributing member's wants/needs/desires and runs the OA as a dictatorship? i might as well shove my money in the sewer because i would derive just as much perceived value.

the MEMBERS, especially those who take the time to contribute and create value for and with others, are the real assets of the collective.

yeah, i know, if i don't like it - LEAVE... btw, we had a tighter OA a year ago. ya gotta ask yourself what has changed, eh?

dave
    ZRXOA #1423
    [center]

RIP 6/29/19

Well, Dave...

You should donate money to help support the message board and the home page. No other reason. Ten bucks from each person who uses this board would go a long way toward upkeep.

As far as "blatant disregard for contributing member's wants/needs/desires" goes, you're gonna need to clarify that. Almost every request that I get is met with a positive response, and changes are made if they are feasible. Members have forums available to post mods, talk about engines or carbs, discuss politics and religion, post pictures of themselves and their rides and families, plan meetings and rides, post pictures of rides they took. The list goes on and on.

Can you provide an example of a want/need/desire that has not been dealt with? I'm listening.

The OA is not run like a dictatorship. It might be close in some ways, but calling it a dictatorship is totally off the mark. Very little of the actions taken by the guys who run this association is done without consulting others. And one thing you need to remember - this is not some petty little democracy where the loudest screamers get there way, but an association that has a vision and a direction. That vision is to provide a place for people to share information about ZRXes, get to know other owners, and to last a long, long time. You're right about the members being the real assets of the association. Now imagine how far this association would have gotten if it was left up to them to do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted, to the home page or the message board or the registry. SOMEONE has to oversee this place.

As far as having a tighter OA this year than last goes, all I can say is "No way." We have at least twice the members, they all like each other and display an uncommon respect or their fellow members. I have yet to hear of one member complaining because he is not welcome on a ride, or he is treated badly by others on the message board. I am sure that if you asked, several members would fling open their doors and let you stay at their house in time of need or just to be friendly for a weekend. I, for one, have invited complete strangers into my house on more than one occassion, and I will do it again. I have met hundreds of members, and all of them are really nice people. And all of them are ready to stand behind you or beside you in time of need.

What has changed? Nothing and everything. We have more members, but we are now a larger and more diverse group. But as far as I can tell, we are still the best dang owners association that has ever been organised, on the net or off.
    [center]

RIP 6/29/19

More on the SpeedFreak problem

And this from a later post:

i have learned so much from this board, met so many cool people and had a ton of fun hanging around with OA'ers. there are a lot of genuine human beings riding ZRX's, and now other cycles. this bbs is a place of problem resolution, whining, celebration and sometimes conflict. we share ideas, many laughs and even laughed at each other in a good natured manner from time to time.

imho, the oa is becoming a less "user-friendly" environment that is very close to being dominated by the wishes and desires of a few. the posts about "if i don't like it i will delete it" and the rampant proliferation of forums are, imho, making this bbs a less member friendly place. does anyone remember how much time we spent discussing whether or not to add the "sport-touring on the zrx" forum (or whatever it was called) to the board? if you had to say something zrx related, drop a post into general zrx banter. if not bike related, pop a post onto shooting the bull. have something to sell? for sale forum. i needed to find a tranny for sale the other day and didn't know where to look.

i have expressed my concern over the proliferation of forums, and on and on it goes. others have done the same, can't remember who just now, but they have. contributing members make the board. they provide the content, the hits, the views and the substance of the oa. i really feel the administration of the board needs to be totally member focused, it used to be and now i feel it is slip-sliding away from that philosophy.

i needed to post a wake-up call and share how i felt. i apologize if my mannerism offended anyone, it seems i have that gift...

RIP 6/29/19

More response from an "unresponsive" admin...

Dave - nice to know that you feel the same way about the board, the people, the fun, and the info you have found and shared.

I would like an explaination of how you view this place to be less user friendly. Almost everything that has been requested by members has been implemented. Some things were implemented, but caused technical problems and had to be undone.

You fret about members' posts being deleted because the admin does not like what was said. If you pay attention, you'll notice that nothing has ever been deleted simply because I or any other admin, moderator, or officer has "not liked it" or has "disagreed with it." You may have noticed some threats to delete, but they were all in jest, and never actually deleted. The same goes with banning people. The only pople to be banned from this board were few in number - 3 or 4, maybe - and they were banned because their only reason for coming here was to stir up trouble. No one has ever been refused the time or space to speak his or her mind, as long as it was done in good faith and was not patently offensive.

Since August of last year, there have been over 9000 threads started, and over 65,000 posts made. It seems to me that some members are finding this a very friendly place, since hardly any of those posts have to do with a lack of functionality.

You always gripe about the "rampant proliferation of forums" but if there was only one forum, a thread you started at 9 am would be back on page 48 before lunch time. Tell me how in hell you think that would be a better scenario. As mentioned above, we have provided forums for a multitude of discussions, so you don't have to wade thru pages of Jesus-freak posts to find a little info about tightening your chain or meeting with some fellow Rexers for a weekend ride. I recently started a politics and religion forum so that the valuable opinions of our members don't get lost in the Shooting the Bull forum, just for one example. Almost all of the forums have been suggested by members, and the admin has been very responsive as far as accommodating them goes. No, Dave - two forums with tens of thousand threads in each one would never do. Open your eyes.

And READ! How in heck could someone who, on the surface, appears to be intelligent, not figure out that you can find a transmission in the Marketplace forums? Did you actually go first to the Pics of members forums, hoping to find one there? Did you rush to the Rides and Meetings forum, hoping that someone would bring a spare gearbox to a meeting? Did you look in the Board Issues forum. Your problem in finding something to buy is just that - your problem.

And as far as member-focused goes... WHAT IN HEAVEN'S NAME DO YOU THINK WE HAVE BEEN FOCUSING ON HERE????

The Innocent Guy
    I'd be afraid to post anything after that one Chuck. Next thing you know is I'd be standing in a corner with a fizzie hat on with my picture posted in a forum titled "buttheads in motion". I'm probably just jealous cause I can't word em like you just did. After that one I would be afraid to not donate. For $20 or $30 a year I have learned a $1000 worth of info about things not to waste money on,got to insult people,go on useless rants,enjoy the naked pics section,meet people that even liked,almost tag the butt end of a caddy in front of everyone at a ZRX event with just a little ribbing about it and tell the wife it is you're guys fault that I spend so much money on the bike. Maybe I just expect less on my return than Dave does.
    Later == Bobby

Did I mention I like the naked chic forum?

the political revolutionary has donated. I like to contribute money and bandwidth wows.

J.A.F.S.

Well, I'm one of the guys who complained about the proliferation of forums in the past. You may recall that I compared them to tribbles, the more you post, the more forums you get! In hindsight I can see that the powers that be were right to divide and in some cases subdivide topics to keep things organized.

I CAN see how new users may be a bit confused by the umteen different forums available. As regular visitors we don't notice just how overwhelming this place can be to someone new!

I have a friend new to computers who has visited a few times and he does have a little trouble finding his way around. However, I don't see an alternative if we want any semblance of organization here. If people take a few minutes it's fairly simple to learn your way around.

As far as threats of censorship and deleting threads, I to have found this distasteful. Chuck, you said this was in jest, but I never new that. When you say "this" or "that" will be deleted I take you at your word. I trust your judgement in these matters, but maybe you could be a bit more tactful when you address this subject? Overall, I think you do a great job. I know it's not one I would want to take on!

Well, that's my $.02 and then some!:D

I'll be sending some dinero as soon as my employer sees fit to replenish my checking account!
    It may be true that pain is weakness leaving the body. It may also be true that it is just natures way of telling you that you just did something

REALLY FREAKIN STUPID!!!!!!!!!

I think this site is absolutely incredible. Most evenings I just work my way down the list and check out everything. But when I need something specific, like info on ignition advancers, I know exactly where to find it.

I can't imagine having the poor taste or judgement to post something that would get deleted. As for Chuck's joking about it, lighten up guys -- one of this site's major assets is the humor that is a regular part of many threads. If you think he is serious, post a reply and ask him. I'm sure you'll get a straight answer.

In about two weeks my 99 will be back on the road, heavily modified. 3/4's of what I've done to it has been influenced by what I learned here. It has saved me a ton of time, and, I'm sure, a bunch of money by suggesting the best parts (like WP shocks) and steering me away from junk.

As far as user friendly, I haven't met any ZRexers yet, but I've communicated by email and phone with a few, and bought products from some, too. I have not found anyone to be anything but friendly, and extremely helpful. Also, the commraderie that exists between a lot of members is obvious in the threads, and a great thing to read.

Bottom line -- use this site for what you need from it. If you don't like it, stop typing www.zrxoa.org into your browser. You'll be amazed at what doesn't happen. If you need technical advice, go to those sites. If you want good conversation and some healthy debate, check out those sites. Above all, if this benefits you, contribute. You don't need to break the bank -- just a litle to keep the site healthy.

Wow, this is a lot longer than I thought it would be . . .

agreed. When I needed info on the hyperpor, you guys were there in hours with teh right info on warrenty. It all works for me.

wrx1ab

So send in $20 and get a nice green banner for your posts.

I am Just a Speed Freak

well...

Originally posted by ELR02
    If you don't like it, stop typing www.zrxoa.org into your browser.
    i already said that and besides it is a bookmark...

Rideaholic

Dave,You are amunst freinds here..So keep that bookmark..

Hey,when can I ride the Falco???????????
    You learn more about life from doing the things you are not suppost to do

Heck, My 93 Celica gets 34 MPG
    2002 R1 Little Boy Blue
    2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 White
    2004 Burgman 650 Blk
    Wife has a 2004 GTP Yes, it is a Import

RIP 6/29/19

Ride it if ya want, but...

Originally posted by Lloyd574
    Hey,when can I ride the Falco???????????
    I'm sticking with sheep!
    Attached Images  
    [center]

J.A.F.S.

Bottom line -- use this site for what you need from it. If you don't like it, stop typing www.zrxoa.org into your browser. You'll be amazed at what doesn't happen.
    Errr, actually it's my home page!
    It may be true that pain is weakness leaving the body. It may also be true that it is just natures way of telling you that you just did something

REALLY FREAKIN STUPID!!!!!!!!!

Rideaholic

That kind of does look like Dave...Man,he really pissed you off..
    You learn more about life from doing the things you are not suppost to do

Heck, My 93 Celica gets 34 MPG
    2002 R1 Little Boy Blue
    2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 White
    2004 Burgman 650 Blk
    Wife has a 2004 GTP Yes, it is a Import

I Luv my Muzzy
    As a relative new member and Rex owner I found the board to be easy to use and very informative, did it make me want a ZRX no I had that thought before I found the board but it did give me pause as to the level of devotion that the members gave to the ZRX, a family was found, like minded people, a cult if you will. E-mails show no emotions I may think I'm being funny the rest may think I'm rude....For what it's worth I think the powers to be are doing great work....As they say my checks in the mail...Keep up the good will....
    Leo G
    '01 Rex (green)
    Muzzy SS/SS Ivan's Kit

Dr. Pat Fever.....on
    WKRP in
    Cincinnaaaateeeee

This board is great

It is well run and administered. Every other board on the web is boring compared to this place.

"Previous 140+ Club Member"
    Shannon Trap

Wow talk about stirring up the past. This thread is almost 2 years past! Whats with the freak guy anyway?
    Yes its a '97 750 ZRX Test market model

What are you looking at?

I can't imagine having the poor taste or judgement to post something that would get deleted.
    I USED to think like that. I think I've had a couple of posts deleted in the past few months, and at least one suggestion that I delete a post (which I did). Never once did I think that the "powers that be" were out of line. In each case I knew ahead of time I was close to the edge, and the posts in question were in reference to individual members, an acknowledged red flag. These guys put a lot of work into maintaining this site. I will gladly give them the benefit of the doubt regarding what should or shouldn't stay.
    Chris Danaceau
    ZRXOA #4352
    2001 Green ZRX 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1129 View Post
    I havent winterized a bike in 10 years......Gary

Hooligan of the Year, 2003

Chuck

Some folks will complain no matter what. Some police officers I know are always complaining about the job. After awhile I just tell them, if its that bad why dont you just quit. I tend to just stay away from them, dont need to be hearing that crap all the time. This board is awesome and you have to be way out of line to have something deleted. To all those who put in the work to make this board great.
    16 Yamaha R3 Endurance race bike
    16 Yamaha Super Tenere
    14 Honda Valkyrie
    81 CB900F
    80 XS1100 Midnight Special

Bleeding Kawasaki since the 70's
    Damn commie bastards ...................

I was like wtf when I was reading that at 1st ............ it just didn't sound like something JSF would be saying ...................... this week.

SS
    For all the members we've lost - this board can only hope to help you live on in others. YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek, Mitch#101 and all the others you are forever remembered.
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    Perko has a good point though....

BadAss Hooligan

responce

i'm new to this site but sense i found it i'm here every day! this is a awsome site the poeple here are about the best i have talked to! you guys don't know me from squat but you answer questions about any thing and every thing, wanted to buy a patch and BEN just sent me one...
    i'm not to good with frazes but the best one i got is the best people ride REX's.
    Thanks for every thing every body.

JIMMYZRX
    ZRXOA#4874

2003 ZRX
    9.33 @ 141 DALE WALKER TUNED
    5.89 @ 117 1/8th 1.35 60'
    Pro Stock Bike
    8.00 @ 166.75 GEORGE BRYCE TUNED
    5.02 @ 136 1/8th 1.18 60'
    I LOVE MY WIFE
    Its 106 miles to Chicago, weve got a full tank of gas and a half a pack of cigarettes, its dark and were wearing sunglasses.

I am Just a Speed Freak

Hmmmm....

Hey Pat830,

You don't have a life, do you? Can I help you find one? Even without a steady gig, I don't have time to resurrect a 2 year old discourse on world peace and harmony...

Admins,

Can we start a forum for old posts, kinda like a nostalgia trip forum?

I am Just a Speed Freak
    Originally posted by ssiperko
    I was like wtf when I was reading that at 1st ............ it just didn't sound like something JSF would be saying ...................... this week.

SS

I always thought my mood swings were hourly and not weekly, but what do I know!