+ Reply to Thread
    Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Anyone running Tubliss?

Thinking about ditching the conventional tubes on my next tire change. Anyone have any experience with this system?

Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

2009 Hooligan of the year

Re: Anyone running Tubliss?

I got WAY more flats running tubeless than I ever did running tubes. WAY more. Example - I got five (count 'em - FIVE) front tire flats when running tubeless before even making it to half tire life (read a few months of riding). By comparison, I had maybe around 3~4 front tire flats in several years of riding the same trails using standard tubes where most were pinch flats.

I now run ultra heavy duty tubes made by Bridgestone (and I think Michelin makes ultra heavy duty tubes as well). (knocking on wood)....Haven't had a flat since going that route. The steering is noticeably heavier (not bad, but noticeable). But its a trade-off I have been very happy making.

It's important for me to note that where I ride mostly is very rocky and many sharps rocks. Most all the flats I get are cuts, rather than punctures. Slime doesn't work so well with cuts.
    Last edited by zrx24; 12-10-2019 at 06:44 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

Slow east coat woods theyíre fantastic. Much smoother, and less kick. You will climb hills you never could before. Especially with wet rocks. I donít see any point to run them in the front though. And dry dusty west coast may not be that great. Try it. I havenít had a flat in 3 years, but some people are just flat magnets regardless. First installation will be frustrating. After the learning curve is over, tire changes will be comically easy
    Whitey White Bread

BadAss Hooligan

I have a couple of riding friends that run tubless and love it, but they have all still had flats but can ride them back to
    the truck to plug and go again.

I just recently went to mouuse bibs in both front and rear and really like them. About the same weight as the Ultra Heavy duty tubes but never have to worry about flats
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

Two wheeled FREAK

Michelin, Metzler, Bridgestone, IRC - all make heavy tubes IIRC.

I was going to suggest the Bib mousse also - but it is pricey...

PM me for great prices on ÷hlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve516 View Post
    Michelin, Metzler, Bridgestone, IRC - all make heavy tubes IIRC.
    "Ultra" is the key word here. All of the above mentioned heavy duty tubes are not as heavy duty is one might expect. Failures using "heavy duty" tubes is what drove me to try the Tubliss system.

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    "Ultra" is the key word here. All of the above mentioned heavy duty tubes are not as heavy duty is one might expect. Failures using "heavy duty" tubes is what drove me to try the Tubliss system.
    What kind of pressures are you running? Were all your flats due to punctures or pinch flats?
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    What kind of pressures are you running? Were all your flats due to punctures or pinch flats?
    With the "standard" heavy duty tubes, most were pinch flats when running around 9 ~ 9.5 psi. Eventually I ended up running around 14 psi on the front to prevent pinch flats, which is how I improved my skills to recover from front end slides.

With the ULTRA heavy duty tubes I am able to run the 9 ~ 9.5 psi up front as I desire. The Tubliss system allowed me to run those desired pressures as well (anything below 8.5 psi gets squirrelly where I usually ride), but punctures (cuts, more specifically) became a very serious problem. I was usually able to repair the tire by patching inside. But the regularity of flats is what drove me to the ultra heavy duty tubes. Again, I ride in very rocky terrain. So your riding conditions may yield entirely different results.

Hooligan

I think tire choice makes a big difference as well. I run a fairly hard tire and seem to avoid flats. I keep them at 12-13 PSI front and 9-10 PSI rear. That can change slightly depending where I'm riding that day. I have an Ultra heavy duty tube in the back and heavy duty up front. Mixed bag of terrain around here, from soupy mud to shale rock with everything in between.
    Maxxis extra heavy duty tubes.....

Name:  MAXXIS_TUBES-900389353.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  36.1 KB
    Mike

BadAss Hooligan

I am running the Mouuse both front and rear now and it only took a ride or two to adapt to the feel, but I do love not thinking about a puncture or pinch flat when bashing through the sharp rock or Cactus around here

I was dreading the install after reading some install reviews but watched a video from a guy I met on a ride who is a AA class Enduro guy his method made it fairly easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58s93an7iH4
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

BadAss Hooligan

From a thread I started in 2014...

I know it's been 3-1/2 years since the last post on this thread, but I just came across this in the October 2018 Dirt Bike magazine...

www.tubesaddle.com

Approx. 6oz each, as low as 8psi for better traction, almost 50% lower price than Bib Mousse or Tubliss, and there's a step-by-step video on their website

It has a 5-star rating from MXA, and was product of the year in Dirt Rider

The competitors...

www.tubliss.com

http://www.michelin.com/eng/media-ro...oad-motorcycle
    Last edited by the-atc-kid; 10-03-2018 at 01:15 AM.