+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BadAss Hooligan

Idling vehicle is illegal...

So I was driving to work last week...
    and heard on the radio that "letting ur vehicle (warm up) idle is illegal"

At lunch I asked my co-worker's if they were aware of this...
    NOPE...they had no clue.....
    so we started googleing N.H./ Mass &Maine laws...

Turns out...it's real..
    there's graphs..temp vs. time../fines for buses..time vs. cash amount..ect..

What about the rest of the country...
    u guys as uninformed as me...

BadAss Hooligan
    causing trouble near Milton, Ontario, Canada

Re: Idling vehicle is illegal...

three minutes max in my little burg. Other towns have other timelines. I am not sure if it is a provincial thing or not
    As well the courts have decided If you vehicle is idling anywhere at any time and is stolen you are held partially responsible for the theft as you did not take all possible precautions to prevent it
    If the vehicle is involved in any illegal actions you can be named in any civil actions arising from the crime
    So you may want to looking that as well
    jp
    Johnnie Phatt
    Head honcho of project
    Rise of the Phoenix

bring Dave if you must....Perko

Two wheeled FREAK

Itís about pollution mostly. NY has similar laws.

Best way to warm up vehicle is to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM me for great prices on ÷hlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

President Emeritus

When I lived in Nebraska and it was -20 out, there was no way I was driving until the heater and defroster were working.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    When I lived in Nebraska and it was -20 out, there was no way I was driving until the heater and defroster were working.
    It can be dangerous otherwise. Iíve seen way too many people driving along with only a tiny clear spot in the windshield to look through.

Name:  474E84F4-4BAD-4E92-AC17-2EF805E25904.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  41.1 KB
    Mike

2009 Hooligan of the year

City of San Antonio and Bexar County recently got an earful for not allowing a variance to their 5 minute idling restriction on concrete trucks that are staged at construction sites to pour concrete. It is necessary to keep the concrete churning until placed, but City Council didn't give a crap about that. I think they eventually backed down, but not certain on that.

BadAss Hooligan
    causing trouble near Milton, Ontario, Canada

that is not a lack of warming up. That is just lazy
    Johnnie Phatt
    Head honcho of project
    Rise of the Phoenix

bring Dave if you must....Perko

Born In The USA

Flat tappet cams need oil splashed up to them, and that is limited by slow RPM. Roller cams, maybe not so much, but I don't know.

I saw a surprising number of thermostats stuck in the open position back when I was wrenching a lot. If it takes a long time for your engine to warm, that might be a place to look. Modern cars have electric fans that can control the engine temp at idle, but once you get going, it is back to the thermostat. That was a puzzler for some mechanics on early computer controlled engines, where the stat was stuck open and fooled the computer into thinking the engine had just started.

Cold oil doesn't lube so good, so I don't ask much until there is some heat in it.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Phatt View Post
    that is not a lack of warming up. That is just lazy
    Agreed.
    Mike

BadAss Hooligan

yeah Steve516..
    I get the pollution thing...
    I was taught...once oil is flowing...mtr. need to be under a load.. (heats up qwiker)
    Northern climate...f*#king love full synthetic...

understandably another emission ex: in N.H. forbids 2 stroke marine mtrs.
    back in the day they were everywhere...

BadAss Hooligan

I looked up Ohio law , I have heard about it but never took the time to read it . I never leave my car running and not locked anyway so it does not affect me .

1.661 Unattended motor vehicles.
    (A) No person driving or in charge of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key from the ignition, effectively setting the parking brake, and, when the motor vehicle is standing upon any grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.

The requirements of this section relating to the stopping of the engine, locking of the ignition, and removing the key from the ignition of a motor vehicle do not apply to any of the following:

(1) A motor vehicle that is parked on residential property;

(2) A motor vehicle that is locked, regardless of where it is parked;

(3) An emergency vehicle ;

(4) A public safety vehicle.

(B) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Amended by 132nd General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 26, ß101.01, eff. 6/30/2017.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004.
    01 ZRX 1200 green
    00 ZRX 1100 black
    12 C14 connie red
    2003 KLX 400
    2004 CRF100
    2008 CRF100
    2016 300 Ninja
    2017 Z125 Pro
    " Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars"

" That which you manifest is before you " Enzo

ZRXOA# 8746

Father Joe

I live in Alabama where most "stupid laws" leave us alone.

I always warm my engine up a bit. A bit more in winter time when the outside ambient temp is cold.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

This reminds me of a 2019 Chevy Cruze I rented a few months back, it had auto stop/start, my 1st experience with it, a little unerving to say the least, it also had remote start with 15 min. max warm cycle, I guess it's not in compliance

Orig. owner, 99 ZRX, 61k+
    ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Cam degree 105 int.,107 exh.
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.
    Ohlins RS, Race tech fork
    Fork brace+Steering damper

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.

" WHEN YOU OWN A CHINESE PRODUCT, ALL CHINESE SPARE PARTS ARE OEM QUALITY "

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    It hasn't changed much. Except for more vehicle thefts now.

GREEN is always the fastest

ZRXOA #3823

I came to ride

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    Flat tappet cams need oil splashed up to them, and that is limited by slow RPM. Roller cams, maybe not so much, but I don't know.

I saw a surprising number of thermostats stuck in the open position back when I was wrenching a lot. If it takes a long time for your engine to warm, that might be a place to look. Modern cars have electric fans that can control the engine temp at idle, but once you get going, it is back to the thermostat. That was a puzzler for some mechanics on early computer controlled engines, where the stat was stuck open and fooled the computer into thinking the engine had just started.

Cold oil doesn't lube so good, so I don't ask much until there is some heat in it.
    I used to have a Dodge Dakota, and it got to the point that it wouldn't shift into overdrive until several miles after I'd started it. I called my mechanic, and he said "It needs a new thermostat." I was like
    '99 ZRX1100, Akropovic, jet kit
    '13 FJR1300, Givi touring stuff

BadAss Hooligan

Here in Colorado it's illegal because people steal the vehicles and drive off with kids in them while the idiot parent is in the 7-Eleven.

Otherwise they steal them from driveways and people wonder why their car is gone...
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1Ē risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40ís@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

Just Some Random Guy

They forget that they serve at the pleasure of the people. When people decide enmass not to abide by the law, and leave their vehicles idling, the system falls apart.

As a ZRXOA Hooligan, I let my vehicle warm up as long as I want, Government be damn.

Though for the record, unless I'm using the heater to de-ice the windshield, I don't warm up vehicles in the winter.

Last edited by AV80R; Today at 03:47 AM. Reason: No politics

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

BadAss Hooligan

My Jeep Wrangler has remote start. It times out after 15min. Then, if you want to, you can do it for another 15min. It can't easily be stolen though...
    the doors lock and you can't put it into gear until the key fob is inside the vehicle.

Legal Eagle

What about all those empty busses that idle throughout an entire football game?

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    dont forget the moms sitting (w/high school kids) at the bus stop idling....@ 40+degrees....

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Of course we know that those diesel buses are low emisions/EPA/CARB complaint,etc., etc., just ask any Volkswagen dieselgate owner, besides breathing all that in while you watch the game ....

How about the thoushands of Diesel trucks that idle overnight at truck stops, etc. or all the "official vehicles" that literally idle all the time especially in extreme weather.

When I lived in NC foothills, I used to cover my truck cab with a blue tarp if I knew snow/ice was coming, easy
    sometimes I forgot or it caught by surprise , I had a club steering wheel lock and a separate set of keys for both I kept in truck. Installed club, started and locked door, went back in for another cup of coffee , I know the club is not very effective for seasoned thieves, but the punk and opportunistic thieves probably never seen one and want easy picking low hanging fruit.

We had a lot of heavy ice storms in my area, no easy way to clean that stuff, besides warming up car, you could tell newcomers to our area by the license plate and cracked windshield

Orig. owner, 99 ZRX, 61k+
    ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Cam degree 105 int.,107 exh.
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.
    Ohlins RS, Race tech fork
    Fork brace+Steering damper

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.

" WHEN YOU OWN A CHINESE PRODUCT, ALL CHINESE SPARE PARTS ARE OEM QUALITY "

I gots a number!

My first boss had a 63 Buick Wildcat that had an electric heater that would put out heat as soon as the car started. Would switch to water heat after warm up. Why can't they do that now?

Two wheeled FREAK

Several manufacturers have worked on heat storage tanks. Basically they capture heat when the engine is running etc. When shut off they stay hot, so that they can inject hot coolant into the engine - this means the exhaust heats up faster and the cat starts working faster - reducing emissions. It was a water to water or gel type of exchanger.

They do have pre-heaters on some O2 sensors I believe - maybe most at this point.

Some cars have electrically heated windscreens.

In most states it is illegal to drive off with snow on the hood/roof/windscreen. I have seen huge chunks of ice fly off and damage cars behind and cause accidents.

Most cars up here come with heated seats these days - works faster than the dash heat. Some cars now have heated steering wheels as well.

The remote start also works well in the summer if you leave the AC on...

My car can drop the windows or roll them up remotely - helps vent hot air in the summer.

PM me for great prices on ÷hlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

BadAss Hooligan

Its legal in Michigan to allow your vehicle to idle and warm up in your drive way thanks to Gov. Snyder in 2018. It used to be illegal and I think it was to discourage people leaving their running cars unattended with their keys in them. Changed last year after a disgruntled MI resident was ticketed >$100 for their idling car parked on their private property.

President of the ZRXOA

I kinda chuckle thinking about all the hours Iíve seen planes sitting next to a runway with 300-500 cubic inch engines running off leaded gas idling with straight pipes and no catalysts waiting to take off.

I get the fact that thereís a lot more automobiles on the road than airplanes though.

I got a new BMW loaner when they were fixing the airbag recall and I hated the whole shutting off the engine at every light and restarting it when you let off the brake.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Born In The USA

It will be interesting to see how that plays out in engine wear.

Old school lore, starting an engine was the time of most wear, as the lube had dripped off things that needed it. Maybe with synthetic oil and modern engines, it may get a different result.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

I canít imagine the little turbocharged 4 cylinder in the BMW I tried out will fare too well with that kind of behavior long term.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Born In The USA

Especially a turbo. I wonder if they will drop the turbo or add an accumulator and a check valve after so many turbo shaft failures. Or maybe it will be fine for some reason I don't know about.

I am picturing pulling off the freeway, turbo glowing, and coming to a stop light. How hot is the oil around the shaft before the light turns green?

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

Idling vehicle is illegal...

Exactly.

Iím sure itís all engineered to last until just after the BMW warranty period runs out. They have the MTBF down to an economic science on their new crop of cars with disposable components all over the engine (plastic cylinder head covers and cooling system components are just one example).

BadAss Hooligan

Car Guys used to say start it and go so everything warms up at same time

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100