• Suomy

1 1.15%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    No More Clowns
    Olympia, WA, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Re: Best street helmet manufacturer poll

Quote Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent View Post
    Helmet choice can almost be a religion with riders. A Shoei saved my life in '89 - I look at the damage to that thing and I still can't believe I lived through it. They 1000% have a customer for life. LOVE LOVE LOVE my RF1200 with the transitions shield. I've almost reached helmet nirvana. Add something that could keep the helmet cool without adding any (hah, well much) weight and it would be the perfect helmet. Come on technology . . . . .
    No kidding man!!!! I've mostly had Shoei and been down in 2 of them (1 being an RF1200)..... Then I watch as the IOM guys wear Arai and I watched a buddy go down HARD in his Arai...... and have a minor concussion... It's tough to choose these days! In all honesty.... I'll probably go back to Shoei after this Corsair V is done..... but who knows!
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

No More Clowns

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
    Love the fit of my Shark
    Shark was originally one of the options before I figured out the polls only allow 12 options.... Shark was the 13th.
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR

Slightly opinionated, but never politically correct

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 NATO View Post
    Man, y'all got it made. Youse guys get to pick and choose from a variety of high tech, light weight, feature laden helmets from race bred pedigree manufacturers.

What do I get to choose from?

HJC.

That's what I get for havin' a pumpkin head.

You guys probably have nooo problem finding gloves and boots too.

Ima go crawl back under my damn rock.
    We should compare head sizes . I have a size 8 Noggin, others have thought they had bigger heads than I , they were wrong. Shoei has been my brand of choice though I am due a new one so maybe I might experiment. Arai's have never fit me right

My head measures 64cm around.
    F1 rules NASCAR is like dumping a box of Fruit Loops in the toilet and watching them all swirl around when flushed. Add some screaming redneck to announce the event and you could sell tickets.

when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity - Hunter S Thompson

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

Here's pics of the Shoei that saved my life - I keep it out in the garage:

Name:  BRDsYLvNSNig%7%80yBcmA.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  2.40 MB
    Name:  VFjiGRPpTAus5q+9bDbjBw.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  2.40 MB
    Name:  ffBYSBzwTeOf8eI4DsfxOw.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  2.87 MB
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

2009 Hooligan of the year

I'm a bit surprised to see Shoei taking top billing in this poll. Seems not that long ago such a poll would have been slam dunk for Arai.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    I'm a bit surprised to see Shoei taking top billing in this poll. Seems not that long ago such a poll would have been slam dunk for Arai.
    I am surprised more guys do not have a oval'sh skull that AVG & Vemar accommodate best imho

- both are ECU & latest Snell approved :

The Doctor Is In
    About 90 miles north of where I was before & 15 minutes from the Kingdom of Kazmania, FL

I buy new helmets on a whim, cool graphics and whatnot, so I've owned my fair share over the years. Way back when, Shoei's were my helmet of choice as they fit my noggin best and were well made. I went thru the whole RF series for years. But as they climbed in price, I said, 'screw them.' I'd love to get another Shoei but, cheapskate I am, I ain't paying those prices.

Then I switched over to HJC which, IMHO, were just as nice and well fitting as the Shoei for half the price. Went thru lots of their models too but HJC did something different w/their last CL-17 helmet line which caused pressure points on my forehead & made it unusable. Now I'm very tentative about buying HJC again and that's too bad as their new HJC i10 Taze Helmet calls to me.

Name:  hj_ci10_taze_helmet_750x750.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  72.1 KB

A Scorpion or two (my current one being a Scorpion EXO R710) has made their way into the inventory from time to time as they fit my head even better than the HJC. I really like my R710- no pressure points, ventilation like I've never experienced before w/any helmet, and comfy overall. It's a super helmet.

Name:  scorpion_exor710_focus_helmet_750x750.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  46.4 KB

Thankfully, I've never had to test a helmet- knock wood- but I'm betting that pretty much any of the major manufacturers lids will protect as well as the other.
    "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."
    Rorschach

BadAss Hooligan

seems most have a head either round or oval, when a manufacturer tries to blend them and use optional cheek pads / interior padding for fitment, they seem to mess up both sets of heads, especially oval heads with pressure to the forehead and back of the head with a more rounded lid

when it comes to helmets - it seems you have to be honest with yourself - are you round like a bowling ball or not and use the company website to see what they intend to serve with each line of lids - many cater to both but you have to research it seems

I am a 7.5 size head and vemar and avg are heaven, the big names that most voted for seem to feel tight or loose , and the tight is not it will fit after some hours tight - it is the aching head of wrong equipment tight , bummer

No More Clowns

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Right!? I thought it would at least be closer....
    Both are outstanding brands and obviously destroy their competition. Relatively
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR

No More Clowns

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXFriedrich View Post
    seems most have a head either round or oval, when a manufacturer tries to blend them and use optional cheek pads / interior padding for fitment, they seem to mess up both sets of heads, especially oval heads with pressure to the forehead and back of the head with a more rounded lid

when it comes to helmets - it seems you have to be honest with yourself - are you round like a bowling ball or not and use the company website to see what they intend to serve with each line of lids - many cater to both but you have to research it seems

I am a 7.5 size head and vemar and avg are heaven, the big names that most voted for seem to feel tight or loose , and the tight is not it will fit after some hours tight - it is the aching head of wrong equipment tight , bummer
    Or..... if you can find the right, experienced salesman (like myself)..... You can change padding, remove foam from some padding in some helmets to change sizing or even completely replace liners and pad sets to get the right shell/padding fit in the right helmet! You'll want to find a store for that though...
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR

avtech3d

I've had HJC, Scorpion, and other affordable options that I would wear a large. The Shoei must fit my head shape better, since my RF1200 is a medium.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Derro View Post
    Or..... if you can find the right, experienced salesman (like myself)..... You can change padding, remove foam from some padding in some helmets to change sizing or even completely replace liners and pad sets to get the right shell/padding fit in the right helmet! You'll want to find a store for that though...
    Small market town, prolly no experienced folk like you around, the vemar came with different sized cheek pads that was nice

The Green Widowmaker

I have no idea what's best and have been fortunate enough to have never road tested one. I bought my first Shoei in 1983 and have stuck with them ever since. I like the way they fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    i gave him a stupid look and said that 'tricks are for kids' and i'd rather stunt his mom and walked out...

It's only ankle deep if you go in head first...

The Busa Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Derro View Post
    Yeah, it's a shame they stopped making the Qwest. They replaced it with the RFSR (which is essentially the same shell as the RF1200). It's not as quiet as the Qwest, nor as comfortable.
    Gave that one a shoot along with the neo tech 2 . Both sold . My Quest was great . Now just using a Schuberth C3 Pro Americas edition.
    Just picked up a Arai Defiant X in the black / purple / silver for the wife with the Pro shade system. She loves it .

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

No More Clowns

The Qwest size small Serenity, white and blue.... I have,,,, was for my Wife originally and she wore it 1 time... to try it on.. It's never even been in the wind.......... It's a Snell 2015 (ofcourse) ... worn once. I need to get rid of it! It's been sittin in it's shoei bag for the past 3 years... It's thisn .......

Name:  shoeiqwestserenitysmall.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  141.4 KB

Name:  shoeiqwestserenity.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  150.6 KB
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR