+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Ethanol-Free fuel questions?????????

I have been looking at www.Pure-Gas.org for ethanol free fuel sources. My uses would be for my streetbikes, dirt bikes, ATV's, snowmobile, lawn mower and weed whacker. I no longer race, so this isn't a consideration.

I bought some from the pump in New Hampshire last year, and the two quads I put it in have fired up and run perfectly since then. They are started and/or ridden VERY infrequently. If I remember correctly, it was only about 60 cents more per gallon than regular gas. Wish I could remember where I bought it. I would head back up there and fill a bunch of cans.

My questions are:
    1.) What percentage of ethanol is considered ethanol-free?
    2.) Where does the ethanol level need to be, so that even small carbs (like on a weed whacker) wouldn't have any issues?
    3.) What are the octane needs for normal, non-racing use? Pure-Gas.org show stations that have 91, 93, 94, 95, 98 102, 110 and 112...and probably more.

I don't prefer buying the sealed cans of gas, because they are WAY more expensive per gallon ($9.00-$15.00) as opposed to ($3.50, or so) at some pumps, like the one in New Hampshire.

Any fuel gurus out there?
    Last edited by the-atc-kid; 11-16-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Father Joe

Re: Ethanol-Free fuel questions?????????

Quote Originally Posted by the-atc-kid View Post
    I have been looking at www.Pure-Gas.org for ethanol free fuel sources. My uses would be for my streetbikes, dirt bikes, ATV's, snowmobile, lawn mower and weed whacker. I no longer race, so this isn't a consideration.

I bought some from the pump in New Hampshire last year, and the two quads I put it in have fired up and run perfectly since then. They are started and/or ridden VERY infrequently. If I remember correctly, it was only about 60 cents more per gallon than regular gas. Wish I could remember where I bought it. I would head back up there and fill a bunch of cans.

My questions are:
    1. What percentage of ethanol is considered ethanol-free?
    2. Where does the ethanol level need to be, so that even small carbs (like on a weed whacker) wouldn't have any issues?
    3. What are the octane needs for normal, non-racing use? Pure-Gas.org show stations that have 93, 94, 95, 98 102, 110 and 112...and probably more.

I don't prefer buying the sealed cans of gas, because they are WAY more expensive per gallon ($9.00-$15.00) as opposed to ($3.50, or so) at some pumps, like the one in New Hampshire.

1. 0%.
    2. 0%. (note: KWICK will opine differently).
    3. 87. I have ethanol free 87 on the pump just down the road.

Now a caution. Some people get fooled (the Pure-Gas site can lead to this) when they correlate a lack of a "contains up to 10% ethanol" sticker on the pump with No Ethanol. Often times this is nothing more than a new gas station that hasn't got all of their "stickers" on their pumps. TRUE ethanol free is very clearly marked as such at the pump.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks! I didn't do an extensive search. Just poked around in NH and VT. Didn't see any 87 octane. The lowest I saw was 91.

Satan's Donkey

Thanks! I didn't do an extensive search. Just poked around in NH and VT. Didn't see any 87 octane. The lowest I saw was 91.
    From what I was told we only get down to 91 because the gas is coming from Canada. Any VP station will have it at the pump around here for $3/gal.
    -Jake

Rape is no laughing matter.
    Unless you're raping a clown.

ZRXOA #2995

Originally posted by Ca Pete
    "A helmet may save your life, but if you are not wearing the rest of your gear, you may wish it hadn't."

BadAss Hooligan

It seems you cold state guys have more ethanol related problems than we down in the hot states.
    Get on the short bus boys 'cause I'm takin' y'all to school!

Tanner's Photo Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakijockey View Post
    It seems you cold state guys have more ethanol related problems than we down in the hot states.
    The "off" season is typically when trouble happens with alcohol fuels. My power equipment sits for several months without use beginning right about now.
    ZRXOA #2754

I cut it twice and it's still too short!!

Originally Posted by philobeddoe
    ..........wanna know the law? ask a criminal, not a cop.........

Born In The USA

I have had problems with the chain saw and the shredder plastic items after using 10% ethanol pump gas. I have a new tank coming for the shredder as it has cracked, possibly from an internal baffle pushing the sides out (that's where the cracks are), and I had to sand down the gas cap threads to get it to fit back into the chain saw. Both were fine when I got them.

I was told of a place across town where I will get fuel without contaminants.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan
    Leeds,Alabama(about 5 miles from Barbers Motorsports Park)

I'm always going to put some Staybil or some other additive in my gas burners
    anyway, so I don't even bother hunting "pure gas" any longer. I do run Chevron in most everything
    anyway, mainly because it's right down the street when I head out anywhere.
    I also put Techron in everything when needed, and Star-tron in the stuff sitting for
    long periods of time without running. Between Jetski's, motorcycle (17yrs old), lawn equipment,
    and my ole 24 year old truck, not a single fuel issue from ethanol gas. some do I guess, me, none.
    Lucky? Who knows?
    2002 ZZR1200

Two wheeled FREAK

Startron works... Period. I use it year round in my bike. In the winter I add some Stabil also.

It may be expensive, but you only need a tiny amount to treat the fuel in a small tank. Available at most auto parts stores.

http://www.starbrite.com/startron

Name:  14308.A1_229921b19352ba91d49fa098cefb634f.png
Views: 174
Size:  191.7 KB

PM me for great prices on ÷hlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

I thought that earlier, but figgered I'd keep my mouth shut...

Marinas sell no ethanol gas. EPA recommended no ethanol gas in boats and planes.
    Paul
    ZRXOA #4325

'99 ZRX 1100
    '87 944S
    '00 ES 300
    '05 FXHO

"The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more 'n a few."... Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
    Look at all the invites! darn, if only I had an engine on my broom!

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    ....For gods sake I am such a pussy
    "This is a dangerous world, and this cat isnít remotely qualified to handle it. This guy has no clue, I promise you." G. W. Bush on Obama

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    Marinas sell no ethanol gas. EPA recommended no ethanol gas in boats and planes.
    I believe that AV80R has said that ethanol is OUTLAWED in airplanes in the USA.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

Super REXer

I've found here in Western New York any e free fuel is 90 octane maybe a northeast supply thing. Also use Startron too. Have found this to be a good combo. In the past I've had a chain saw gas line dissolve. Would not use anything but e free in the bikes and any of my small equip engines lawn mower, snowblower etc.
    Super Dave 436

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    I checked a local marina...it had ethanol... .ill check more marinas...
    sm. airport near me e-free....but 91-94 octane

BadAss Hooligan

When I search for 'Pure Gas' in NC, I find all octane levels.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Hooligan

My questions are:
    1.) What percentage of ethanol is considered ethanol-free?
    2.) Where does the ethanol level need to be, so that even small carbs (like on a weed whacker) wouldn't have any issues?
    3.) What are the octane needs for normal, non-racing use? Pure-Gas.org show stations that have 91, 93, 94, 95, 98 102, 110 and 112...and probably more.

https://youtu.be/HdDEL7WLN5U or you could watch this.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post

not in my immediate area..

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
    I checked a local marina...it had ethanol... .ill check more marinas...
    sm. airport near me e-free....but 91-94 octane
    Airplane gas has a lot of lead in it. That will ruin oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan
    Leeds,Alabama(about 5 miles from Barbers Motorsports Park)

I have bought aviation gas (100 octane) at a local airport that was lead free.
    It ran well in higher compression anything we had. It was expensive at the time
    so we didn't load up on it much. Looked like window cleaner, clear blue. Marianas around here,
    they have ethanol in some of there gas, not all. Also none of it is over 87-89 octane. At least
    none I've seen.
    2002 ZZR1200

Two wheeled FREAK

When ethanol first became an issue, I was working at HVMC. we tried everything we could find. Nothing worked. Rich Sr went to the marina and asked them what they were using. Came back with Startron. It worked. Took another year before the local stores and bike parts distributors caught on.

There are all sorts of problems with ethanol. Another common issue is that the paper element fuel filters disintegrate if not made to survive ethanol. Honda and Kawasaki both recalled fuel filters back then. Probably others as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM me for great prices on ÷hlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

BadAss Hooligan

I try to run ethanol free as much as possible, but it's somewhat cost prohibitive unless I drive up to NH or VT. Like I stated previously, in Connecticut, it's $9-$15 a gallon or more. Then, I still make a cocktail of Startron, Techron, and Fuel MD just to be safe. I just don't get to ride my bikes anywhere near as much as I'd like to, so they often sit for as much a month... more in the winter.
    Last edited by the-atc-kid; 11-20-2019 at 02:24 AM.

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by charliezzr View Post
    I have bought aviation gas (100 octane) at a local airport that was lead free.
    It ran well in higher compression anything we had. It was expensive at the time
    so we didn't load up on it much. Looked like window cleaner, clear blue. Marianas around here,
    they have ethanol in some of there gas, not all. Also none of it is over 87-89 octane. At least
    none I've seen.
    Blue av gas is 100 LL (low lead). "Low lead" is relative. Old, low horse power (65 HP, 85 HP and such) engines ran on 80, but you can't buy that any more, so you have to use 100 LL, which has 8 times as much lead as the 80 the plane was supposed to get.
    100 LL has so much lead, you have to lean the crap out of the mixture to keep from lead fouling the valve guides, which makes the valves stick. Arash has many stories about that.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

I used to be....

I use VP pre-mix 50-1 94 octane in all our 2-stroke yard equipment, it's expensive but no matter how long stuff sits always starts right up. The Kawasaki backpack blower is 15+ years old, changed the pug and primer bulb in it a couple of years ago. With the added benefit it smells like race gas makes the two hours a week in the yard more pleasant. Use canned gas in the pressure washer as well, it doesn't get used much and for winter storage use canned gas in the lawnmower, 20 yo John Deere still runs great.

We're lucky, non ethanol gas is readily available in our area, often in different octane levels.

BadAss Hooligan

I agree 0% for small engines at least in mid west area. Small tiller a 2 cycle motor trashed due to ethanol. One chain saw trashed same reason. Carbs on a bike trashed due to fuel. Had Kwick go through them and better but still not perfect. I have switched in the last three years to Ethanol free 90 octane withing 20 miles of home and no issues. The carbs were an issue before I switched. I get better fuel mileage as well. To each his own but I will pay a little extra and so far my small engines and bikes are worry free since switching.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post

87 and 90 is what I can get locally. Seems to work fine and I have even went 50% equal amounts and still runs great.