+ Reply to Thread
    The Mod Father

Past its sell by date...

For as long as I can remember I have carried this little old coffee can with me in my lunch box......Every day.!!

I must have bought it new over 20 years ago when on holiday in Cyprus and have refilled it hundreds if not thousands of times over the years..

My wife has attempted to throw it in the trash many many times..(and who could blame her)....but I just have this really strange attachment to Old stuff.

Name:  20191115_102602.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  3.40 MB

Name:  20191115_102739.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  3.16 MB

Name:  20191115_102509.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  2.92 MB

Name:  20191115_102615.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  3.40 MB

Of course it is completely worthless and madness to continue to want to use it.....but that's me.!

Am I alone.,or does anyone else suffer from this type of 'Affliction'....?

BG.
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

Hooligan

Re: Past its sell by date...

I'm sure youre coffee woul'nt even taste the same , coming from another jar Brian..

Peter

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I'm sure youre coffee woul'nt even taste the same , coming from another jar Brian..

Peter
    Hahaaa.,you are right Peter.!!

It says Nescafe on the tin however I have refilled it with everything..,Kenko.,Maxwell House.,anything at all .........and sometimes its a mixture of two or three brands...

It was just the situation of "holding onto the old tin" that infuriates my wife..

She just doesn't get it....

A few years ago this company released a 'limited edition' throw back to this original tin and of course I bought it straight away..............but when it was finished I asked "Where's my coffee" as I was searching the kitchen cupboards..??

I was told........,"oh I threw that out....it was finished"...

...whaaattt.???.........

I mean What kind of nutcase does That.!!..???!

Last edited by BG Wells; 11-16-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

2009 Hooligan of the year

I have underwear that fits this discussion topic, including the part about the wife trying to throw them away many times.

Father Joe

Brian,

I'm still driving my 1997 Toyota truck (263,000 miles).

I carry the same wallet that I carried the last two years of college (1984-1985).

My college backpack is hung up in the garage awaiting its next day adventure.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

WOW - It has a great patina!!! Perfect!!!

Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Devilsí Advocate

I still have my 1999 ZRX1100.

I did give away my ZRX magazine collection yesterday to make room for my Machining books and magazines though...it was a couple hundred pounds of prime material.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Born In The USA

Anything that provides a useful function, gets used until it is no longer repairable.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    Anything that provides a useful function, gets used until it is no longer repairable.
    Yup. Keep spares on hand and lengthen it's useful life.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

I thought that earlier, but figgered I'd keep my mouth shut...

Quote Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post

She just doesn't get it....

Tell her to be careful about breaking your habit because your attachment to old things will include her too.
    Paul
    ZRXOA #4325

'99 ZRX 1100
    '87 944S
    '00 ES 300
    '05 FXHO

"The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more 'n a few."... Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
    Look at all the invites! darn, if only I had an engine on my broom!

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    ....For gods sake I am such a pussy
    "This is a dangerous world, and this cat isnít remotely qualified to handle it. This guy has no clue, I promise you." G. W. Bush on Obama

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    Tell her to be careful about breaking your habit because your attachment to old things will include her too.

I was thinking the same thing, but that is not always a wise discussion.

Bleeding Kawasaki since the 70's

I just have this really strange attachment to Old stuff.

BG.

It seems yer wife has that same attachment.

SS
    For all the members we've lost - this board can only hope to help you live on in others. YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek, Mitch#101 and all the others you are forever remembered.
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    Perko has a good point though....

BadAss Hooligan

This is some funny but very serious stuff we're talking about here. Keeping old stuff you don't even what to get me started on that!

Chris...
    I don't think I have any underwear that qualify as really really old but I do have some that have been around a very long time and the older they are the better they fit... RIGHT

Brian...
    I don't have or use anything on the lines of an old tin and something I used daily like your tin. I have stuff that is old and like I've had for ever but mostly tools... specialty tools for Honda's and Kawasaki's that I will most likely never use again but can't part with them because of the memories and just because their tools... sad sad sad I know.

Wayne

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    .......,you are a braver man than me.!

I have rehearsed conversations like that in my mind......but that is usually as far as it goes ..

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan

I still have my album collection from my college days (over 35 years ago).

When I started my first job out of college, I used to stop at Hardees for their cinnamon raisin biscuits in the morning. Still have a complete set of the "Raisin Guys" on a filing cabinet next to my home office desk.

Some old stuff is worth keeping for the fond memories, including wives

New Rules, Can't Say...

The Mod Father

I find it hard to explain.....,

I guess its a kinda nostalgia thing and stuff like this helps keep that 'time' alive.............,memory lane sits well with me and 'sign posts' such as this are a tangible and comfortable link.

In today's "throwaway world" I find myself valuing some mundane stuff......,from a nicer time.

I also have a couple of old butter knives and spoons that I remember were in my Moms kitchen drawer we used as little kids........,I will always use them myself every time.......

Stuff like this is a link to "then" for me...,and is all part of my makeup as a person.

BG.

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

This is why I like metal detecting so much. I find the coolest things from my era, and lots more older stuff. I mean, what's not to like about who wore that old civil war uniform button and how did it end up being where it was it is. The guys in England find 2,000 year old Roman coins all the time. Think about that.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

President of the ZRXOA

I find it hard to explain.....,

I guess its a kinda nostalgia thing and stuff like this helps keep that 'time' alive.............,memory lane sits well with me and 'sign posts' such as this are a tangible and comfortable link.

In today's "throwaway world" I find myself valuing some mundane stuff......,from a nicer time.

I also have a couple of old butter knives and spoons that I remember were in my Moms kitchen drawer we used as little kids........,I will always use them myself every time.......

Stuff like this is a link to "then" for me...,and is all part of my makeup as a person.

BG.

I 100% agree. I have a few examples of this myself, Brian.

A key fob that has been on my airplane for 26 years.

A cheap Yamaha guitar that Iíve been playing for 35 years.

My late grandfather gave me a small bag that I have used for the last 15 years even though it looks tattered and beat up.

I have a set of wheel chocks that I made when I was 15 and the welds are horrible and they look atrocious, but they are a connection to memories of old so I continue using them.

I have a horizontal directional gyro in my airplane which Iíve been using since I was 10 years old, people make fun of me for keeping it in the plane but it has never failed and continues to work so I keep it in place.

Iím a self declared Luddite and always favor old over new.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

I've still got the Aeronca Champion 85 model box from Aeroscience class back in 1975 along with a few others. Still got some tools my dad gave me 40 years ago. I still have the old plastic prop from a battery controlled wind driven toy car from 1969, don't ask me why. I got tons of stuff like that Hell, I'm still carrying my go bag I bought for work almost 30 years ago. We never went anywhere.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    Brian,

I'm still driving my 1997 Toyota truck (263,000 miles).

I carry the same wallet that I carried the last two years of college (1984-1985).

My college backpack is hung up in the garage awaiting its next day adventure.
    Joe.......,I use the same T shirts and jeans at the front of the wardrobe in a continuous cycle..........,there is stuff at the back I haven't used in years..

(I Must throw those 'flares and platforms out though...)

Only time I ever have anything new to wear is Christmas.....(then I'm all stocked up again...)
    Last edited by BG Wells; 11-16-2019 at 06:11 AM.

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

Hooligan

I have a problem with buying old books from the clearance shelves at Half Price Books. I lose it if I find anything pre-1900, but anything over 100 years old is always incredible. Especially the ones with handwritten notes or doodles. Those are my favorites because reading the notes gives you a sense of someone's true nature or personality, which is compounded by the understanding that they aren't around anymore. I have an old novel assigned to a high school class somewhere with a dozen or so beautiful practice signatures in it from it's first owner. Whoever it was was working on signing her name as a teenager in class, probably instead of listening to the teacher. She also signed "Class of '06" on the inside cover. As in 1906. She drew those doodles and signed it and wrote that note right at the cusp of adulthood with little or no idea what would be in store for her, but whatever it was, she wanted to be ready to sign stuff. Then she lived her life! This book has captured that moment of her life even though she's long gone by now.

I think I also have half a dozen Hucklberry Finns, several Treasure Islands, and 2 copies of Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow, a first edition The Old Man and the Sea, and a second edition Tarzan (don't remember which, but I think it's the second or third). None of my books are worth any money as most of the covers are worn or tearing or stained or at the very least dusty but they have their own bookshelf in my bedroom, safe from any houseguests or pets.

Old stuff is pretty cool. I get it.
    Lesson learned: Squash the cat.
    -JD

Super Moderator
    I is Approving Stuff

I still have, and use, the comb attachment to a Blue Max hair dryer my Mom gave me for xmas.. '71 or '72 I think..I had hair down to mid shoulder blades, and still have a full head of hair. I use it separately, with a newer hair dryer.. I do keep it cleaner than that tin of yours tho'..

Name:  blue max comb 001.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  140.5 KB

Name:  blue max hair dryer.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  227.3 KB

Sometimes I forget people can see me make the jerk off motion when they're talking to me...

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
    I still have, and use, the comb attachment to a Blue Max hair dryer my Mom gave me for xmas.. '71 or '72 I think..I had hair down to mid shoulder blades, and still have a full head of hair. I use it separately, with a newer hair dryer.. I do keep it cleaner than that tin of yours tho'..

... .well my wee coffee tin has seen me through Many construction sites in all weathers........,heck I even fill it up and packed it with my "stuff" and took it on holiday. (Just to be prepared in the absence or room service..)

My wife out of embarrassment had to hide it in the drawer in case the maid seen it...

I didn't care less.......,as long as she didn't throw it out.!!

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..