+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    President of the ZRXOA

AV80R starts making scrap metal - Taig Micro Lathe

Used a hacksaw to cut the brass rod I was previously working on to a more manageable length.

Swapped out to the 4 jaw chuck and used some math to figure out how much material to remove so that I can face 4 sides of the cylinder to create the biggest square that will fit.

0.984Ē diameter

984 squared = 968,256

968,256/2= 484,128

Square root of 484,128 = 695.79

Letís round up to 696, thatís how long each side of the square should be (0.696Ē)

984 - 696 = 288

288/2 = 144

I need to remove 0.144Ē off each side and if I measure and cut correctly, I should end up with a pretty true square.

Using the dial indicator installed on the carriage slide from KWICK is what Iíll use to measure out this 0.144Ē cut

Letís see what happens. Hereís the first side.

Second side. I used a square tool to slide in behind the workpiece to ensure it was parallel with the chuck.

Third side

And the last side

Itís not perfectly square, but close enough for me. Itís 0.695Ē wide by 0.697Ē tall.

Neat little exercise to see if I can intentionally measure and cut to a specific length.

Next time I need to make sure to start with a cylinder that is the proper length to make sure I end up with a perfect cube instead of a rectangular block.
    Last edited by AV80R; 11-10-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

The Mod Father

Re: AV80R starts making scrap metal - Taig Micro Lathe

Yes., good practice exercise to build on while getting accustomed to machining metal on your lathe..

Well done Arash..

I am assuming that 4 jaw chuck is 4 "independent" jaws...?
    Very handy for machining things that you want "eccentric"....

Great progress...!
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

President of the ZRXOA

Brian, yes itís an independent 4 jaw...I forgot to mention that!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Devilsí Advocate

Squares are rectangles with OCD.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by BASpro View Post
    I had a chance several years ago to purchase a barely used (1 car project) Smithy 1220XL with about $2K in tooling for ---- $2000.
    Yup, that is why the lathe Arash bought was a good deal, it came with GOBS of tooling.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Squares are rectangles with OCD.
    LOL! I had to do it again and get the cube done.

Then I grabbed some 1/2Ē brass rod, drilled it and tapped it M6 x 1.0

Then I chucked up some more and turned it down so I could make a corresponding M6 screw with a die.

Then I screwed both pieces together

And turned the outside to conceal the seam

Pretty fun so far.

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by RixRex View Post
    How about the finished product...

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

Forgot to mention I got this used band saw for free from a friend at my airport.

It was covered in sawdust and cobwebs, but cleaned up nice. I have to find a different saw blade for it. This one is just for wood.

CarlM

Damn it. I forgot to look at the lathe

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Forgot to mention I got this used band saw for free from a friend at my airport.

It was covered in sawdust and cobwebs, but cleaned up nice. I have to find a different saw blade for it. This one is just for wood.

www.MSCDirect.com has every blade. I have a Lennox BiMetal one on mine.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

Crazy busy week at work so I havenít had time to experiment on the lathe, but Iíve stocked up on so fun stuff instead.

First I bought some 1/2Ē round cold and hot rolled mild steel.

The steel supply house a few miles from my home has some neat tools and caters to the amateur hobbyist which is pretty cool.

I bought some center drills and a tungsten scribe

Blue layout dye

Nikx Stikx

This adorable tiny grinder was $30

My dies didnít fit the Taig die holder for the tail stock, so I bought a metric and SAE set that does for only $32 for both sets from Harbor Freight.

This weekend I want to try using the compound slide to cut a taper and figure out how to use it properly.

The Mod Father

Compound slide is useful for very short tapers Arash.

For long slender tapers..,offset the tail stock using the grub locking screw at the side of its base.

(I used this a lot turning brass gun barrels for models back in "the day" 30 odd years ago...)

Only thing to remember is to do 'all your detail machining" first while the piece is parallel.....as it cannot be held in the chuck after you have tapered it...(only between the centres afterwards....)

Oh and depending on the length and diameter you will need to use a 'travel steady"......(only for long tapers....doesn't apply to those with the compound slide.)

Have fun......

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

President of the ZRXOA

Brian, I would have had to learn all of that the hard way, as I didnít think of offsetting the tail stock at all. Thanks!

Itís a bit ambitious at this point, but I really like these tool post and tail stock handles that a fellow named John Bentley made for his Taig lathe.

http://modelengines.info/lathes/taig.html

Part of the construction of these handles is cutting a short taper before bending the handle. Do you think this taper is short enough to do with the cross slide?

I emailed John and he was so kind to send me some info on how to make the handles. Here is his email:

Hi Arash,

The ball handles are a worthwhile addition to the lathe.

I have included two descriptions that I wrote a few years ago for other people. I sent many long descriptions of making ball handles by email over the years, but when I used to go through old email files I could never find one of those, since they were usually included with other topics. As a result, on each occasion, the story was told again like a wheel re-invented. So as I mentioned previously I finally put a bit together in one place Ė Ďhope it is of some help!

I am ashamed to admit that instead of making a new set of handles for my newer lathe, I removed them from my original Taig and "transplanted" them to the new 2006 lathe at time of its purchase, as they still looked in fine condition. Actually they are still fine in 2019.

I apologize for the crude nature of the picture and sketches Ė I do know better!

An engineer(!) would say these are designed backwards - as normally the taper should be smaller at the ball end and enlarge toward the screw. Well, that engineer can have dents in the palms of his hands if he wants! I think a good engineer is a master of compromise and will choose the reverse (and larger balls) for comfort, for an application this small.

Please ensure that all of these dimensions will work on your lathe - they were made for my old Taig. They are a starting point however. "E" isnít too critical, but donít make it too short on the toolpost or the tailstock ram lock or your fingers will be bumping things. Make the shaft longer than you think you should...more will be consumed in the bend than you expect (because it is tapered not parallel).

Last minute scrawl:

These are the dimensions of the handle for the Tailstock Ram lever. It doesn't need to be longer than the original steel strap, because of the extra comfort (if a 7/8Ē ball is used) it allows easily applying much more pressure to the tailstock ram when drilling with large diameter bits.

Extra gadget:

Below are two styles of a pin which will slide along the top of one of the T-slots on the upper surface of the headstock. One of these points toward the pulley on each of my lathes. I turned a 3" (I think) steel disk which is screwed onto the inside of the pulley and has a row of 60 holes which this pin will engage to lock the headstock. It is a very worthwhile addition to use for dividing. You can get more useful divisions from a 60-hole row than any other number of holes.

BALL HANDLES:

The ball handle shafts were turned, tapered as they appear and with a parallel section at the end to enter the ball. If you are going by eye, they need to be a little longer than you think is right. This is simply because more length is used up in the bend than you may expect (probably because the taper tends to affect such guesswork). I put the threaded shaft end of the handle in a bench vice and heated the thinnest part with a propane torch, turned down low. At the same time, a light pressure was applied to the handle with a convenient tool until the shaft began to bend. Very little pressure is needed - and it doesn't need to be screaming red hot, either. Excessive heat or pressure might leave the handle too weak to be useful.

Don't worry about which direction to bend the handle with reference to the thread orientation. The final position of the handles, when screwed in, can be easily changed. Any of the handles will fit in the 3-jaw chuck after they are bent, to allow turning the hub shorter to control the orientation when "snugged-up".

Regarding the toolpost handle, it took me a while to realize that correct nut orientation under the toolpost would solve any problem of handle positioning. I actually cut my handle down once to correct the problem! The toolpost handle can be set in any one of four positions, depending upon which way the nut is oriented in the cross slide T-slot.

Also, if soft steel is used to make the toolpost handle, the thread can eventually strip where it enters the nut. If there is enough shoulder length up top, the damaged bit of thread can be simply lopped off and a corresponding length of the shoulder turned down to compensate. This would be a rare event, if the thread is a nice close fit in the nut. The other handles will never wear, as they go into aluminium in the tailstock.

BALLS:

I went to a motor repair shop and asked for some old ball bearings. A Dremel with cut-off disks was used to cut through the outer races. The balls were heated yellow under a propane torch and cooled very, very slowly. Cooldown was accomplished by retracting the torch (turned very low) after a period of a minute or two. It is most important to prevent any breeze reaching the work at any temperature much above 100 C during this period. A ball was then placed in the 3-jaw chuck, centre-drilled and the job finished with the appropriate drill bit (most ball bearings drill very easily when annealed).

I silver-soldered the handles into the holes in the balls. If you don't know what you are doing with real silver-solder, don't do this! It is possible for the red-hot ball to fly off at bullet-speed, due to trapped steam from the flux. Options are to use Loctite (or 5-minute epoxy), press fit them or shrink them on with heat.

I must confess that I made the large ball on the new tailstock lever simply by turning it (and its shaft) in one piece, freehand on the lathe. It only took a few minutes and it appears very close to being spherical.

To my way of thinking, some key points are:

1) Allow extra length for the bend in the stem.
    2) It will (and should) bend at the thinnest part of the stem.
    3) Bend it while hot (light constant pressure applied, then pencil flame only at the bend - & just enough to do the job)

If separate balls are used:

4) Heat ball bearings yellow, then cool very slowly (& away from draughts) until long after they reach black heat.
    5) Hold the balls (reasonably tightly) in the aluminum jaws of the Taig 3-jaw chuck.
    6) Always use a centre drill first, when the ball is drilled.
    7) Some balls won't soften - throw them out (with their sisters) and get new balls from another bearing assembly.
    8) Possible ball attachment methods - threaded, heat-shrunk, pressed, epoxy glue or silver solder.
    9) Note that silver soldering will require minor safety precautions due to trapped steam build-up from the flux.
    10) After the handle is completed it will probably be discoloured from heat, glue or solder. Hold emery cloth (80 - 200?) between thumb and forefinger and twist the handle with the fingers of the other hand. Always rotate it around its axis, at the point where the emery is making contact ('bit tricky at the bend). When it has a smooth uniform brushed appearance, repeat the procedure with medium or fine steel wool, to give a smooth "feel" to the handle.

A lot of people may not want to try ball turning, so they see the ball bearing method as more tangible. I can appreciate that - they are "part way there", before they start. I now turn balls freehand in a few minutes. It is only a case of leaving a similar-sized ball on the cross slide, very close to the work being turned. Repeated A-B comparisons as the turning proceeds should create a perfect ball....well, with a couple of practice runs the first time!

Note that Taig sells a simple ball turning attachment for $22.30 US.
    https://taigtools.com/product/radius-turner/

Best of luck Arash,

John
    Last edited by AV80R; 11-16-2019 at 10:30 AM.

President of the ZRXOA

John Bentley is a phenomenal craftsman. Here is a 1/8Ē scale Taig lathe he made as his first project on his mill!

http://modelengines.info/lathes/modeltaig.html

Devilsí Advocate

I'll get up to speed and we can have a three way Taig competition to make a mini Taig?

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

I wouldnít even know where to begin, Pete!

Step 1: contact Brian or Pete to commission them to build it.

Step 2: send PayPal

Step 3: Wait for package

:

The Mod Father

Guys....,Have fun on your little Taig lathes..

Don't think I have used mine in nearly 30 years..(.......might have once or twice..)

It sits on the shelf along with the Unimat...(wouldn't part with them though....,just Very rarely use either of them nowadays....,but in the late 80's etc they were an extension of my hands..)

"Horses for courses"........

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

Devilsí Advocate

Insert EVIL grin....

So, I was at Frank's shop today

So, we were making rocker tool posts

Longer:

Like a hot knife thru melted buttah!

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

Brian, Iíd be sorely disappointed if you ever got rid of those lathes based on your coffee can thread! I already know that dipping my toe in the water with the Taig is going to eventually end up with me moving to a bigger lathe.

Pete, the rocker tool post is gonna be GREAT!

My youngest daughterís baptism was yesterday and it was so wonderful. Everyone was tired and went to bed early, which left me some time for my next experiment on the lathe.

I brought out the compound slide to see if I could figure out how to use it.

I donít have a manual so Iím just making guesses based on what I think you guys would tell me.

Itís a challenge positioning it where you have room for the workpiece. Having it hanging way out obviously isnít going to be good for rigidity. Also I had no idea how to mount the tool, but I found what I thought is the proper clamp to secure the tool directly to the slide without a post.

I can see what Brian meant about using the slide for short tapers. Itís limited. Hereís the result. Surface finish isnít very good.

Next I wanted to to try my center drills out.

Ok, that was a little deeper than I was planning, but this is scrap metal production so...

I flipped the workpiece around in the chuck and faced the end and chamfered the edge.

Then I used a center drill in the tail stock to give me a pilot which I then progressively made bigger with drills.

I used a file to carefully chamfer the inside edge.

The larger hole is bored almost completely through. It wanted to pull the drill into the work, so I noticed I had to continuously remove the drill to clear chips and add some oil.

I confess I had to use a file to clean up the poor surface finish on my taper. Iím sure you guys will have some tips on my setup/method which will improve my results.

My scrap metal pile is growing!

I need to figure out how to raise the lathe up higher.

BadAss Hooligan

Scotchbrite with a little oil on it will make a not-so-pretty finish look great, for future reference...
    Get on the short bus boys 'cause I'm takin' y'all to school!

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakijockey View Post
    Scotchbrite with a little oil on it will make a not-so-pretty finish look great, for future reference...
    I tried some well worn maroon scotchbrite, but I bet some new stuff would work great. Thanks!

Devilsí Advocate

There are many grades, and many brands, of ScotchBrite type pads....experiment. We all have our faves and they are often different.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

BadAss Hooligan

3M Scotch Brite Nylon Pads:
    7445 - White pad, called Light Duty Cleansing - (1000) 1200-1500 grit
    7448 - Light Grey, called Ultra Fine Hand - (600-800) 800 grit.
    6448 - Green (?), called Light Duty Hand Pad - (600) 600 grit
    7447 - Maroon pad, called General Purpose Hand - (320-400) 320 grit
    6444 - Brown pad, called Extra Duty Hand - (280-320) 240 grit
    7446 - Dark Grey pad, called Blending Pad (180-220) 150 grit
    7440 - Tan pad, called Heavy Duty Hand Pad - (120-150) 60(?
    Get on the short bus boys 'cause I'm takin' y'all to school!

Hooligan

Arash thatís nice work.
    You could thread the end of that and use it as a tip for a blow gun on your compressor.
    Mike

Devilsí Advocate

The coarse and a Pepsi clean Cheese Steak type cook tops really well.
    óFrom when I worked at Casellaís Deli in my teens.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    You learn quickly I see.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

Hooligan

Various rolls of emery cloth grit would likely be handy for smoothing on the lathe. No?

Name:  9A433847-15F4-45CC-BA1B-9537656737B3.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  53.0 KB
    Mike

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by McRex View Post
    Various rolls of emery cloth grit would likely be handy for smoothing on the lathe. No?

Attachment 321194
    Every machinist has his or her faves :-)

Norton makes sanding sponges that I sometimes use....

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

The Mod Father

Arash...,you have the compound slide in the wrong 'T' slot on the cross slide..,and you are getting excessive "chatter" as a result..(lack of rigidity..)

Move it to the 'T' slot closer to the headstock for more rigidity..

As I said though you are limited to the length of taper you can do using this method.......,besides you would also have the "work" producing excessively (more than Ideal..)

In addition if possible try to avoid trying to create an internal bore chamfer using a file...as you have very little "control" or precision..

Instead use an internal "boring tool" as it has a good "undercut" to position it for the desired chamfer.....

Oh and I have no intention (at present) in moving my Taig and Unimat on........they have nice memories for me and are linked to my modelling days....(they are just ornaments though.)

BG.

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..