+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Weirdly Peculiar

Re: AV80R starts making scrap metal - Taig Micro Lathe

Machining brass (and bronze) is a particular challenge, sure you want to start there?
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by BASpro View Post
    Machining brass (and bronze) is a particular challenge, sure you want to start there?
    Yeah, start with Titanium.

Brass/bronze/copper is easy peasy.

The first piece on my lathe was Titanium. And the second piece I tig welded was Ti.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by BASpro View Post
    BG Wells suggested starting with soft metals (brass or aluminum) and said brass was his preference to cut my teeth with as itís pretty much ďself lubricatingĒ.

But Iíll be the first to admit that if thereís a way to screw something up, Iíll find it!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

Get some Delrin (acetal) rod....... super easy cutting. Surface finish can be tricky though.............

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

CarlM

Cram the chips in your empty beer cans and smash them. the CRV is worth more then the aluminum scrap value

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post

Arash., I machined a lot of this on my Taig micro lathe in 1991...(when I had eyesight..)

1/35 scale Nashorn.
    Name:  Screenshot_20191107-185548_Chrome.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  272.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20191107-185532_Chrome.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  333.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20191107-185519_Chrome.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  314.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20191107-185703_Chrome.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  304.8 KB

PM me if you require any help....

BG.
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISPY View Post
    Get some Delrin (acetal) rod....... super easy cutting. Surface finish can be tricky though.............

That was my original plan, but then I got impatient and went straight to some scrap aluminum I had laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by green12 View Post
    Cram the chips in your empty beer cans and smash them. the CRV is worth more then the aluminum scrap value
    Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post

Arash., I machined a lot of this on my Taig micro lathe in 1989...(when I had eyesight..)

1/35 scale Nashorn.
    Attachment 320719

Attachment 320720

Attachment 320721

Attachment 320722

PM me if you require any help....

BG.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post

The first piece on my lathe was Titanium. And the second piece I tig welded was Ti.
    So lets see this piece of titanium that you machined

And good for you, Arash! Thats a nice little setup you have there! As a machinist with over 20 yrs of experience, i still enjoy cranking handles. Making chips is fun and rewarding!
    Last edited by RixRex; 11-07-2019 at 10:34 PM.

President of the ZRXOA

AV80R starts making scrap metal - Taig Micro Lathe

I wasnít happy with the selection at the Campbell metal supply house so I went back to my old stomping grounds near my old house on the other side of the bay to go to Alan Steel.

Their off cuts and remnants selection is the best in the area. The traffic to get there sucked, so I had to buy enough to make it a worthwhile trip. They can also cut the rods to any size I want (for a small fee) so I was able to fit everything in the top case of the BMW.

Their selection of doodads and doohickeys in addition to metal is impressive.

Giant chuck

Hereís the brass rod I asked them to cut up

1 1/4Ē, 1Ē, 3/4Ē, 1/2Ē

That should keep me busy for awhile

I had to clean up my garage workbench to accommodate this new hobby.

I need to figure out how to best store the accessories for this lathe.

I put a few items up on the pegboard, but I need a dedicated toolbox that can hold everything. KWICK has a nice setup he showed me.

After my girls are in bed Iíll start messing around and post up my tomfoolery.
    Last edited by AV80R; 11-07-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by RixRex View Post
    So lets see this piece of titanium that you machined

And good for you, Arash! Thats a nice little setup you have there! As a machinist with over 20 yrs of experience, i still enjoy cranking handles. Making chips is fun and rewarding!
    Here ya go, Titanium. October 28th, 2017

https://youtu.be/F4YjQwmiQQU
    Last edited by KWICK; 11-07-2019 at 10:52 PM.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

How about the finished product...

President of the ZRXOA

Here is the old switch and power cord. It was shorting out inside the box which was really dangerous. The wires were exposed and I could have just used the existing stuff and cleaned it up, but I elected to put a longer power cord (8í) and a new switch and box.

Devilsí Advocate

How about the finished product...
    I do finished products everyday.

www.ExpensiveLightweightShit.com

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

I've had the same Taig lathe for close to 25???? years. Used it to make quite a few RC helicopter parts. And many other RC related items. Been wishing for a larger lathe for some time now.

For what it is the Taig lathe is a nice lathe. Just a little small.

Ken
    ZRXOA 7793
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

Hooligan

How cool is that

The last time I played with a lathe was in my first year of engineering school - workshop.

So what is the plan? What are you going to make?

Your garage and workspace if always so neat and clean.

The Mod Father

BG.

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

Do you feel BRUCE!, punk?

Right in the middle of the table next to the typewriter at Alan Steel appears to be a variac......reminds me of the power class in college.
    2003 Green ZRX
    1983 Red Honda 1100F (sold)
    1983 Blue Honda 1100F (sold)
    1979 Honda CB650 Custom (broke cam/sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (bad cam/stolen/sold)

The Mod Father

That is a great facility to pick up some stock material you have there Arash...

We have nowhere like this locally and every piece I use I have to source on line and wait on the mail man delivering..

I note you have bought a selection of varying diameter sections of brass...however I also note they are all larger than than the inside diameter of the spindle bore of this little lathe..

May I suggest you also pick up some smaller diameter pieces to pass through the spindle bore to practice on.
    Those larger dia pieces will have to be cut to short lengths as they will not pass "inside"....however you could turn "between the centers"..

But for practice of "facing" or "stepped facing" etc you can also cut some short sections to protrude a little beyond the chuck jaws ......however try to avoid too much "overhang"

Happy times my friend .....enjoy.!

BG.

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

President of the ZRXOA

Thanks for the tip Brian. I should have bought some smaller rod that can pass through. Iíll be making another trip back!

I chucked up a piece of 1Ē brass rod, 3Ē long in the 3 jaw chuck. It was way out of concentricity, so the first order of business was machining the soft jaws.

I used a large fender washer and clamped it in the jaws as far back against the chuck as possible so the jaws were under tension and where they would be when a workpiece is being clamped.

Next I picked out a tool that I thought was best suited for the job, and checked the height against the tail stock center.

You can see itís a touch low in the photo below.

So a thin piece of flat brass alternatively sanded and trial fit until the cutting tip was as close to the same height as I could get it.

Thatís better

I set up the tool and tool post in position to have a favorable cutting angle on the soft jaws, and also ensured I wonít crash the machine by hitting the jaws with the cross slide or tool post.

I know itís not ideal to have the tool sticking out so far, but I couldnít think of any other way to get in there.

So off to the races I go. I touched off, and then took 0.005Ē off the jaws for the first pass. Then I took 0.002Ē for the final pass.

Here is a video. Youíll hear a sound when the tool slightly comes in contact with the steel washer:

https://youtu.be/0OkvEBPg2EU

Here is a photo after the first pass:

The interrupted cut and having the tool deep inside the chuck kinda gave me the willies, but I had eye protection on and I stopped imagining what bad things could happen and focused on the task at hand to manifest success instead of failure.

Hereís what I have after the second pass:

Remove the washer

I used a small file to break the edge that was nearest the washer to ensure it doesnít interfere with the concentricity of the part when the jaws clamp down.

Next I chucked up that same piece of 1Ē round brass, 3Ē long and it spun visually perfect now. That felt like a small victory right there and I havenít even made a scratch on the brass yet!

I want to face the end, so I set up the tool so that the angles are what I believe to be correct and touched off. Unfortunately, I donít have an indicator on the slide, so itís all just by feel in terms of how much to take off.

Feels great to have the tool height properly set and feel the nub at the center of the workpiece come cleanly off at the completion of the cut! (Moving from outside to inside)

Here is what I had after the first pass.

I got a little too ambitious with the second pass, and tried to take too much off. The surface finish is poor. Now I know.

So I slowed down the speed to the lowest setting and slowed my feed down to a crawl, while taking a much shallower cut.

The surface finish was better, but the middle of the workpiece didnít come out well. I think it might be because the speed was too slow for that smaller diameter section. Not sure, Iíll have to play with it a bit.

Next, I repositioned the tool so that I can attempt to turn the outside diameter.

I just touched off and it was an interrupted cut since the piece was slightly out of concentricity. Came out good though, and this time I have the cross slide dial that can assist me in how much to take off with each pass.

I took 0.005Ē off for the second pass

Hereís a video:

https://youtu.be/PKC4KZA22HU

And 0.002Ē on the third pass. Surface finish wasnít too shabby.

I tried to just reposition the tool to put a slight chamfer on the edge, but taking a single point cutting tool and using it like that wasnít right. I should have instead just ran a file on the edge while it was spinning.

Cleaned all the chips and quit while I was ahead!

I know this is just the beginning and I have a whole lot left to learn, but this felt like a good start.

Last edited by AV80R; 11-08-2019 at 04:19 AM.

The Mod Father

Ok Arash.......,your getting "chatter" on the end of the work (both on the "face" and the dia) because there is Far too much unsupported "overhang" from the chuck.

If that section of brass was protruding about say 20~25mm max you would have a much cleaner finish with each pass.

To be turning with that amount of overhang the end needs to be supported...

This is done by drilling a small hole in the end with a "center drill bit" http://www.engineering-supplies.com/...ll-60-degree-/
    Name:  pathbscentredrilljpgwidth350.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  40.7 KB

Just drill it to the "countersink" then support the end of the work via a "live" centre in your tailstock..

You can machine larger Dia material to a length compatible with your lathe's capabilities "between the centers" like this...

But at this stage to get a 'feel' for machining have your material protrude beyond the lathe chuck by no more than 20~25mm (shorter if the material is a smaller dia.!)......if you had 6mm dia produce by 25mm you Would get "chatter" and the end would want to "climb" above the cutting tool....it that happens it can suddenly "Bite" and break the tool and throw itself out of the soft chuck jaws distorting them..!

So Be Careful with "overhang".!!
    (Same applies to the tool in the toolpost.!)

Take baby steps Arash.....,this is all a learning curve until you get a "feel" for it...........avoid 'hard materials' etc at this stage and work on.. "set up"...,tool selection..,spindle speed.,depth of cut..etc..,etc.

Oh and you Need a "carriage depth stop"....you cannot get a clean facing finish "freehand"..

Everyone wants to "run" with Stainless and Ti etc....but it is a marathon not a 100 meter dash.!

So........,cut that price of brass in three or less and have another go..,I guarantee better results.

The closer the material is to the chuck the better the finish as there will be Much less vibration.

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

President of the ZRXOA

Iíll be picking up a cheap bench top band saw today and will cut a shorter piece to work with.

I was a bit impatient and chucked up what I could.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-...904G/205503634

I have some center drills at the hangar that Iíll grab too!

Thanks Brian!

The Green Widowmaker

Looks like you've got the hang of it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    i gave him a stupid look and said that 'tricks are for kids' and i'd rather stunt his mom and walked out...

Formerly known as Racer5349...........a fool by any other name is still a fool.

The Mod Father

You have already got more than me Arash.....,I have a 12" Hacksaw some blades and my right hand..

Oh well......,I'm pretty good at arm wrestling as a consequence.!

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

Devilsí Advocate

Too small Ewe say??

Adapt and overcome!

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

I modified my tool post with a third set screw directly under the set screw closest to the work price. I used the existing hole as a guide and drilled and tapped a hole. A set screw in that hole lets me adjust the contact point of the tool to the workpiece.

Ken
    ZRXOA 7793

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by kenh View Post
    I modified my tool post with a third set screw directly under the set screw closest to the work price. I used the existing hole as a guide and drilled and tapped a hole. A set screw in that hole lets me adjust the contact point of the tool to the workpiece.

Ken
    I'll be making these, prototype on an old toolpost:

Name:  IMG_0978.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  1.04 MB

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

KWICK sent me some goodies from MM&LS:

https://youtu.be/6C9az7HCVBw

T track cleaner

End cap

Dial indicator and mount for carriage slide

Not from MM&LS, but I had some dial test indicators and mounts that fit perfectly into a modified tool post that came with my lathe.

Even though my overhang on that 3Ē piece of brass was way too much, it was still less than 0.001Ē out of concentricity.

Next Iíll cut my workpiece down to 3/4Ē long and see what kind of results I can get.

I can see how having a carriage depth stop and dial indicator is going to be real geo during facing and turning operations.
    Last edited by AV80R; 11-10-2019 at 12:35 AM.

BadAss Hooligan

EXCELLENT solution Pete on the tool post!!!

At the time when I bought my Taig, I worked in a machine shop so made me some T-nuts for the tool post and other accessories. Much better than the nuts provided.

Ken
    Last edited by kenh; 11-10-2019 at 12:32 AM.
    ZRXOA 7793

Devilsí Advocate

DRO on the cross slide:

I'm going to try a 3D Printed front, but it does work like a charm. Next up DRO for the Z axis.
    Thanks Kevin.

No brass was harmed.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Weirdly Peculiar

I had a chance several years ago to purchase a barely used (1 car project) Smithy 1220XL with about $2K in tooling for ---- $2000.
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.