+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Mod Father

Re: Carbon Fuel tank build

Superb Peter..!!

I could not agree more.....,the fundamentals of the preparation and 'ground work' are imperative.!!!

The most luxurious mansion ever built started with digging in the clay...!!

BG.
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

President of the ZRXOA

Carbon Fuel tank build

Peter, you will have me here cheering you on every step of the way.

Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Peter, you will have me here cheering you on every step of the way.

Arash……...….Is this a "political correct" cheerleading team .???..

Peter

BadAss Hooligan

Ok apart from being politically correct and whatever else if we got dressed up in cheer outfits I think I would look like this somehow maybe a little grayer
    Attached Images  
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

BOTM JUNE 2018 THE VANILLA GORILLA

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Arash……...….Is this a "political correct" cheerleading team .???..

Peter

Chess cheerleading is a special case.

Here’s 5 mins of your life you’ll never get back.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...nament/3505907

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Hooligan

Have you ever considered making a carbon valve cover minus all the pair emission crap? There would be a good chunk of weight reduced.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1143 View Post
    Have you ever considered making a carbon valve cover minus all the pair emission crap? There would be a good chunk of weight reduced.
    I like that idea

Hooligan

I also asked for a CF belly pan!

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    I like that idea
    Recently removing my valve & clutch cover made me realize how heavy both the valve & clutch covers really are plus if you could eliminate the pair valve all together then that would allow even more air flow under the tank & be less top heavy.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1143 View Post
    Recently removing my valve & clutch cover made me realize how heavy both the valve & clutch covers really are plus if you could eliminate the pair valve all together then that would allow even more air flow under the tank & be less top heavy.
    If you build it they will buy it including me.

Hooligan

Hello guys..
    @Arash..sorry nocansee in my part of the world..copyrights and stuff..but I get the general idea..

@Kevin and Jimbo..I have no plans of making engine parts at the moment...this is a whole differant ballgame
    these parts need to resist more then 130° C..
    You see you need to cure these parts at very high temperatures about 160 °C and in different stages..
    So I will have to buy a autoclave oven wich is expensive , but to overcome , cos I could use that oven on multiparts..
    The real cost would be the mold..if you heat up to 160 degr , the only thing that can stand that for multipal times is metal or aluminium
    So I have to order a CNC'd negative of a valve cover or clutch cover , and these would be one off's so even I found somebody to do it , what would be the cost....
    and for how much parts would I need it... 5...20 at the max...so the mold cost devided by the parts would be allready a major set back.
    Also I would have to use pre preg carbon(much more expensive)wich must be stored in a freezer and only then has a life span of about 6 months , so here also extra costs..
    It would be of no commercial interest for both of us , I will have to take in account all these costs and count my working hours , and you will be put off by the price..
    I stick to body parts for now...;-)

Anyway got the tank oem paint free this weeknd , but had a bit more work then anticipated (isn't this always the case..)

Name:  t9.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  230.6 KB

So I bought me some paint stripper from the local DIY..
    let it soak for the whole night...and nothing happend , just a wee bit of shrinked up paint her and there..
    obviously this was a paint stripper designed for window or garage door paint..alltough the package said for ALL paints..

Name:  t7.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  351.3 KB

I went to the local carbody shop and got me this paint stripper..

Name:  t11.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  183.2 KB

after emptying the whole can on it ,in intervals, with each time sraping the crumbled paint with a paint scraper
    I came eventually to this..

Name:  t11.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  183.2 KB

So the old powertools had to save the day...

Name:  t4.jpg
Size:  252.6 KB

till this result

Name:  t1.jpg
Size:  194.2 KB

Name:  t2.jpg
Size:  221.1 KB

Allready the tank started rusting leaving it overnight in the garage , so a quick brush up was needed and then I gave it some ground paint to more rusting
    the dents and nicks will be adressed as soon I take the mold's from the top side , for now it is protected , and nowing my luck I'm sure to drop some tools on it or bang it against
    something wile handling it..

Name:  t8.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:  t10.jpg
Size:  176.4 KB

so next ting is working out how to get a mold from the underside with all these "lovely" things sticking out..(without completely destroying the tank cos I still want to keep it for spare usage )
    Also I need to make some kinda "flat" space underneath the tank over the intire circumference for "mating" purposes...
    You see the "flange" on the tank is very good for metal welding purposes , but way to small for glueing.. so being ugly in itself I would need to enlarge that flange to about an inch!!!
    Modern tanks don't have that flange (most of them are plastick anyway..), it is only there for the welding sake of it , welding is still the strongest way of putting 2 metals together known to men, so the flange can be kept small
    and still have a strong bond , not with glueing (altough being 2K glue)it still needs a far mor bigger surface area to get the same strenght..

Name:  t3.jpg
Size:  120.6 KB

so challenging times are up ahead...
    see ya later

Peter

Hooligan

how about inverting the welded flange on the mold so part a and b can meet internally rather than externally to allow a much cleaner finished look?

President of the ZRXOA

Superb! This is amazing to watch Peter. Thanks for all the pictures of the steps. I’m glued!

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by jacobzrx1200cafe View Post
    how about inverting the welded flange on the mold so part a and b can meet internally rather than externally to allow a much cleaner finished look?
    I tought about this also Jacob
    But how would I apply any pressure when glueing together...?
    Also putting a flange on a mold afterwards isnot a straight forward thing to do
    Also I am using my friend's 916 tank as a build guide an this tank has clearly an flat flange on the inside as seen in pic
    this tank has been scatterd around a few times and still has no leaks..

Name:  binnen2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  368.7 KB

inside of 916 tank

cheers
    Peter
    Last edited by peter; 11-12-2019 at 01:17 AM.

Hooligan

Wow I had no idea how much detail was involved pretty crazy. Awesome thread tho & thank you for sharing.

BadAss Hooligan

Just a suggestion, maybe delete the fuel gauge sending unit. And add internal bracing side to side to counter expansion. Also will act as a splash wall. Fiberglass is stronger, but not as stiff as CF as you probably know. Cool project

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by skandix View Post
    Just a suggestion, maybe delete the fuel gauge sending unit. And add internal bracing side to side to counter expansion. Also will act as a splash wall. Fiberglass is stronger, but not as stiff as CF as you probably know. Cool project
    I could do a "race tank" version..(save a few grams here and there..and omitt the gauge mounting...).but leaving the fuel gauge always out would set many people off.. it is suppose to be a "plug and play" kinda thing

Peter

BadAss Hooligan

Yeah I think it will be more popular as a plug&play for sure! Great to see progress, keep em coming!