+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hooligan

Chirp on deceleration?

Need a little help fro you all. My rex developed a chirp like a bird when letting off the throttle and decelerating and it also sometimes occurs on clutch disengagement. 25k miles, all stock 02 zrx1200. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Spreading the word.

Formerly "Sperera88"

Re: Chirp on deceleration?

You didn't mention where the noise is coming from but I assume it's the drive section. Have you checked your chain for looseness? Take a look at your wheel bearings, if possible get it on a stand and wiggle it for play.

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

Check the swingarm pivot bolt and the eccentrics, axles pinch bolts, brake caliper mount bolt, etc
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

BadAss Hooligan

I'd check chain for tension and lubrication first, especially if the eccentrics have been flipped

Hooligan

Ill try to get it on the stand this week and adjust the chain. Canít tell where it is coming from but happens every time I release throttle when driving. No noise standing still just running through rpm range. Thanks for the help, keep the ideas coming.
    Spreading the word.

2009 Hooligan of the year

Have you already addressed the starter chain tensioner issue (i.e. installed KWICK's tensioner fix)?

If not, look through your oil filler hole and see if you have any marks on your clutch cover plate. Below is a fairly extreme example of what you're looking for.

Name:  e380b148472bc5d6e40e61c161652e46.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  319.6 KB

I'm thinking that chirp might be the tensioner "pinging" off the cover plate when you chop the throttle.

Hooligan

Was reading about this last night, ill check it as well! Thanks so much.
    Spreading the word.

Born In The USA

Some guys have had the removable frame link get loose on the right side. The frame will flex if the bolts are loose.

Somethings bolted, not quite tight enough, will make noise as they move against each other. There is often red powder around the point moving if they are steel parts.

Good luck.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan
    causing trouble near Milton, Ontario, Canada

one other remote possibility is you have your chain too tight or it is binding due to lack of lubrication
    There is an outside chance the chain is binding and it causes to the tire to resist spinning when there is no power to it. When you adjust our chain have a look for tight links.
    Unlikely I know but have seen it in other bikes
    and yes they were poorly maintained which I suspect yours is not
    JP
    Johnnie Phatt
    Head honcho of project
    Rise of the Phoenix

bring Dave if you must....Perko

Hooligan

Id like to think its well maintained but I may be missing something so Ill give it a look.
    Spreading the word.

Weirdly Peculiar

Is the cush drive bushing dry? The cush drive will rotate a bit in the wheel with throttle manipulation, if it's dry it could squeeeek.
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

Devilsí Advocate

Mouse caught in the fan shroud?
    It is winter....

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Stuffed Up

The chirping on mine was clutch lever, some graphite spray fixed that - although I assume you have ruled it out.

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

Hooligan

Yep ruled that one out. Its most prominent when letting off the throttle from 1/3 or more throttle. I just pulled and lubed the clutch handle a few weeks ago cause it was getting sticky and lubed the chain. Been too busy with work to get it up on the stand but hopefully soon and Ill report what I find. Keep the ideas coming, they are all pretty good so far.
    Spreading the word.

Hooligan

Little bit of chew on the basket so iím guessing the tensioner is the issue so Ill het a hold of kwick and order one. As long as Iím pulling it apart Iím thinking of doing the clutch. Its got 23k and I just commute on it but I have noticed the feel getting a bit different but donít get on it enough here on the island to notice any slip. What does everyone think...do the clutch and or what else should I do while I am in there? Thanks as always.
    Spreading the word.

BadAss Hooligan

If it concerns you , now is the time . I have over 120,000 on my original , stock clutch . They are pretty stout , lol
    WGARA........ (Thanks G).....
    Ytrap.......
    ZRXOA # 3545

2001 BLACK ZRX !!!!
    2000 BMW k1200LT

Faster black one! All other are green with envy.

Hooligan

Ill just pull them and check the measurements while I have it apart. What are the correct specs?
    Spreading the word.

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by fafinsab View Post
    Ill just pull them and check the measurements while I have it apart. What are the correct specs?
    Measurement tells you nothing.

As the cork gets out it absorbs oil and actually gets thicker.

Does it slip?
    Is it grabby?
    If not, do t worry about it.

Rebuild the slave cylinder with a Factory seal.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Sounds good, what should I look for other than feel. Burning or warping?
    Spreading the word.

At 23k you likely won't find anything of concern, unless the previous owner drag raced the crap out of it.

Fresh clutch fluid and a slave cylinder rebuild should restore feel. If you just want to spend money, buy a braided stainless clutch line to replace the old rubber line if you still have that on the bike.

If you're determined to measure things...

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...=1#post4644511

Hooligan

Thanks all, ordered the chain fix and will pull it apart when it gets here. Will let you all know what I find.
    Spreading the word.

BadAss Hooligan

"Warning, I will use "normal" or it's tenses, more than normal in this post, for clarity"

The "normal" tensioner issue, noise or damage only occurs during engine cranking, it would not "normally" happen while bike is running and/or driving, or clutch operation/disengament, unless something is really off, not jumping to conclusions, but I would advise a complete clutch area/parts inspection, including removing basket and checking damper, etc. Like mentioned before a slave cylinder rebuild may be due, it lives in a fairly harsh place and are prone to corrosion, IAC just based on age of bike all this stuff and more could be due, winter coming so there's time.

Not "normal" for these bikes clutch and components to fail, but your problem description is not "normal". Under "normal" riding/operating conditions the clutch should last well over 50k+ IMO.

There's plenty info on this site, just do a search !!! (General Public Announcement !!)

Orig. owner, 99 ZRX, 61k+
    ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Cam degree 105 int.,107 exh.
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.
    Ohlins RS, Race tech fork
    Fork brace+Steering damper

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.

" WHEN YOU OWN A CHINESE PRODUCT, ALL CHINESE SPARE PARTS ARE OEM QUALITY "

Weirdly Peculiar

It's not the clutch or starter\alternator chain tensioner....

Do rebuild the clutch master and slave as well as replace the old rubber line to get the feel back. How old are the brakes?
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

Devilsí Advocate

Stock exhaust header?
    If so, the baffle weld(s) can crack internally and make a racket.

Also, the alternator:
    http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...tor-Loose-Bolt

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Environmental is complicated issue, move every year or two and have been in NJ, FL, RI, NM, CA and RI again with the bike. Brakes are about 2k old and calipers weíre done at same time. All stock. Done tons of searching on the site before I made the initial post but there was nothing like what I was describing. Once the parts get here Iíll look around in there and see what I can find. Iíll pull all the plates to examine them. I do commute a lot so on and off the clutch a lot. Last time I had it serviced at the dealer they mentioned there was some clutch slip but I have never noticed it. As I said it like a bird single chirp when I chop the throttle, nothing on acceleration unless I just canít hear it and occasionally on clutch release at low rpm. Not a rattle or repetitive noise just once per my appropriate actions....chirp.
    Spreading the word.

Weirdly Peculiar

Mileage has next to nothing to do with brake and clutch hydraulic system condition.

Maybe the throttle tube needs cleaning. Do not lube it, just becomes grinding compound.

Hooligan

Ill check the tube but only does it when moving, nothing in neutral while stationary and rolling at same speeds, only does it when in gear. Basically when the engine is slowing the bike down, which is why I was starting with drive chain and drivetrain. The chain seems fine and is well maintained, nice and free and properly adjusted. And as mentioned it is a single chirp and does not happen till I chop the throttle again. Im also going to check all the carb and airbox boots/connections just incase its an air issue. Thanks again for all the ideas and help.
    Last edited by fafinsab; 11-11-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Spreading the word.

Weirdly Peculiar

Did you pull the rear wheel and check the cush drive bushing? And rubbers? And there are 2 wheel bearings and a cush drive bearing.... That's the rest of the driveline...

Devilsí Advocate

Alternator and header can be causes, see above

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.