+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BadAss Hooligan

157,000 kilometres - What To Do Now

My 2005 ZRX has just rolled over 157,000 kms ( ~100,000 miles).

During the last 14 years, she has taken me all over the east coast of Oz and we have shared some great times together. She has never been a "commuter" plodding away in stop-go traffic, rather she has always been a "sports-tourer" running 6-8 hours per day on many multi day trips.

Like all good ZRXs, she not exactly "stock", but she has always been a true thoroughbred and never let me down.

However, she is starting to show her age. The gear changes are not as good as they used to be ( worn shift forks/shift drum ?), there is a fair bit of cam-chain/starter chain noise when first started on a cold morning, the alternator is over-charging (15.2V) so there will be some problem connector in the wiring harness, the suspension while reworked, is still not that good, and she seems to get hotter a lot quicker than years ago (bad water pump / blocked hoses?)

So, I am now presented with a dilemma.

Do I
    • Retire the ZRX to the "back paddock" like a race horse, where she can enjoy her well earned retirement, with the occasional Sunday morning ride to the Pie In The Sky cafe for a coffee, while I buy a new Ninja 1000 ABS for my multi-day touring activity. After all, the Ninja 1000 comes with all the modern electronic mod-cons and none of the mechanical head-aches that a 15 year old bike has.
    • Do I do some major "R & R" activity. Maybe along the lines of a 6-speed transmission + cam & starter chains + guides, mild head work, ZX cams, USD fork transplant, and so on.

I'd be interested in what does the Collective thinks ??
    2005 ZRX1200 - Another fast green one.
    2003 ZRX1200 - A fast green one but I zigged when I should have zagged. R.I.P

BadAss Hooligan

Re: 157,000 kilometres - What To Do Now

difficult not to like the new ninja 1000 ABS what with the assist slipper clutch, fuel injection, and like you said ABS, etc, etc,...

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

Stuffed Up

Buy the Z1000 AND do the R&R on the ZRX

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

BadAss Hooligan
    causing trouble near Milton, Ontario, Canada

Price out the Z and price some reasonable repairs/mods for the rex and let your wallet decide
    Johnnie Phatt
    Head honcho of project
    Rise of the Phoenix

bring Dave if you must....Perko

Hooligan

Murph, it all depends on how much money you want to spend.
    Top end noise, perhaps a top-end overhaul and some new piston rings.
    Getting hotter - new water pump and radiator.
    Replace alternator.

All-up will be cheaper than a (highly desirable) Ninja 1000.

I have just shy of 150,000km on mine, but did the top-end rebuild at around 105,000km. She's good for another 50,000 at least.

My ZZR1200 is also nearly at 150,000km. Did top-end rebuild 20,000km ago. Will last a lot longer still.

My 2c.

Bill.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    Buy the Z1000 AND do the R&R on the ZRX
    Well, I guess some of us have unlimited funds, but not me. It is either one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Phatt View Post
    Price out the Z and price some reasonable repairs/mods for the rex and let your wallet decide
    I think you may be on the correct perspective but the question is "what are reasonable repairs". I mean, the cam-chain/starter chain are cheap & easy, but splitting the cases and fitting a 6-speed is not cheap. The USD front fork transplant/replacement is not cheap. And so on . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Down Under View Post
    Murph, it all depends on how much money you want to spend.
    Top end noise, perhaps a top-end overhaul and some new piston rings. Getting hotter - new water pump and radiator. Replace alternator.

Bill.
    Thanks Bill, The costs of the R&R (say $4000 and I do all the labour) to the ZRX will be cheaper up-front than the cost a new Ninja 1000 ABS (say $16000). But even if I spend $4000 on the ZRX, it's resale value will be next to $zero ( I mean who is going to buy a ZRX with 200,000++ kms) while the Ninga will sell in 3 years for $12000.

I might be better off selling the ZRX now for say $2000 "as is" and buying the Ninja.

Thinking about it, I could "back out" the mods and restore it to "stock" and sell the bike + sell the mods separately ( Mo-Flo 40mm carbs, Kwick slipper clutch, PWR radiator, Promecha forks, Gazzi shocks, Akroprovic full exhaust, plus other odds & ends).

I may actually be better off financially doing that, but I don't want to "part out" the old ZRX. She has been a faithful servant and deserves better.

Stuffed Up

Well, I guess some of us have unlimited funds, but not me. It is either one or the other.
    Bugger, I was hoping it was you - as it's certainly not me

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

Legal Eagle

There's little reason to buy a new Ninja. There should be plenty of 2-3 year old bikes in great shape. Additionally, the Versys 1K (2015 and later have the slipper clutch) is much more comfy and is a great bike. So, buy a slightly used V1K and take your time renewing the ZRX

2009 Hooligan of the year

I would do what I've already done - mod the ZRX.

Formerly "Sperera88"

I'd be curious what a Dyno would look like on a stock motor with that many miles. I assume like all engines it loses some hp, right? but how much?

Two wheeled FREAK

Buy another ZRX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM me for great prices on Íhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

BadAss Hooligan

You really should make a honest assessement/evaluation of the overall condition, only you know what has been done or needs done.

You should do a compression check and a cam wear inspection to aid you in the decision process, these could be big $$ items. The transmission issues alone could be in the $500 + even if you do a used 6 speed.

IAC it would be a labor of love, not an investment, the market on these bikes is limited IMO.

Orig. owner, 99 ZRX, 61k+
    ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Cam degree 105 int.,107 exh.
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.
    Ohlins RS, Race tech fork
    Fork brace+Steering damper

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.

" WHEN YOU OWN A CHINESE PRODUCT, ALL CHINESE SPARE PARTS ARE OEM QUALITY "

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    There's little reason to buy a new Ninja. There should be plenty of 2-3 year old bikes in great shape. Additionally, the Versys 1K (2015 and later have the slipper clutch) is much more comfy and is a great bike. So, buy a slightly used V1K and take your time renewing the ZRX
    good point. "new new" is going to have higher initial cost not to mention higher tax and insurance

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

What this man said. If you don't want/need traction control, pick up a 2011-13, get Ivans' reflash and some suspension mods and you will be plenty happy. The slipper clutch is an easy two hour mod, especially now that used ones are coming up on ebay all the time now.

Then you can try to complete with a guy in California who has 130,000 miles (209,000 kms) on his 2013 Ninja 1000.

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

BadAss Hooligan

This is good advice as the Versys 1000 is number 2 on my "possible replacements" list and there are some great low-mileage bikes on the market.

Licensed to Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyau View Post
    I might be better off selling the ZRX now for say $2000 "as is" and buying the Ninja.
    If you do decide to sell up, get in touch with me

BadAss Hooligan

Well, I've decided to eliminate the Versys 1000 from the "contender's list", so I'm back to my original position . . . re-work the ZRX or buy a 2016~2018 1000SX.
    • The Versys 1000 has a tall seat height, and I am vertically challenged and can't "flat foot" when stopped.
    • The bike has a wet weight of 251kg. That is 10kg more than a stock ZRX and 20kg than a stock 1000SX.
    • The engine is tuned for mid-range at the expensive of top end, and I've been corrupted by my "stock" ZRX.
    • The suspension is "long travel" which is great in absorbing road bumps but it tends to wallow a bit at higher speeds or when pushed into tight canyon corners.
    • The 2016~2018 1000SX electronic Rider's Aid package is better than the Versys 1000.
    • The 1000SX's instrument panel is better looking, with more features.

Some of these items can be fixed with after-markets parts, but more $$$$ are required.

Stuffed Up

Not sure if I saw it but have you done the numbers on the insurance, rego etc for it? I have several bikes that i dont ride purely as I refuse to fork out any more $ to the QLD Govt.

Obviously having just the ZRX means less cost in that respect.

Do you plan on having either bike pulled apart for extended periods of time? I love the fact that I can strip one bike down and not have time pressures on me to get it back together to get to work on Monday.

BadAss Hooligan

The rego on the ZRX is due for renewal at the end of January next year, and NSW is way more expensive than QLD, so having 2 bikes registered for road use is not really an option.

I guess I could buy a ex-demo 1000SX and then let the rego on the ZRX lapse.
    • If I like the 1000SX, then I can either sell the ZRX "as is" or spend some time doing it up for re-sale.
    • If I don't like the 1000SX, I can still take my time and re-work the ZRX and then sell the 1000SX. I'd be out of pocket some money, but hopefully not too much.
    Brand new 2018 1000SX are available for $18,000 OTD, while I found a ex-demo 2018 with 100kms on the clock for $16,000 OTD. If they announce a 2020 1000SX, the prices may fall some more.

Stuffed Up

The rego on the ZRX is due for renewal at the end of January next year, and NSW is way more expensive than QLD, so having 2 bikes registered for road use is not really an option.

I guess I could buy a ex-demo 1000SX and then let the rego on the ZRX lapse.
    • If I like the 1000SX, then I can either sell the ZRX "as is" or spend some time doing it up for re-sale.
    • If I don't like the 1000SX, I can still take my time and re-work the ZRX and then sell the 1000SX. I'd be out of pocket some money, but hopefully not too much.
    Brand new 2018 1000SX are available for $18,000 OTD, while I found a ex-demo 2018 with 100kms on the clock for $16,000 OTD. If they announce a 2020 1000SX, the prices may fall some more.
    Is deregistering the ZRX and keeping it indefinitely an option? Then sell when the prices go through the roof

Hooligan

Nothing wrong with enjoying the ride and modern technology of a new Ninja 1000.

BadAss Hooligan

I'd say a good low mileage Z1000SX is probably better as an investment, after 150k you'll need to tackle just about everything to make it compare to a bike like that at a similar cost. BUT: the SX is a very different animal and a proper modded rex is a great thing indeed. If you just look at money I can't argue against a newer bike (this rarely happens). Did you ride one? I don't even fit on these little modern bikes any more.

Hooligan

My ZRX still runs like it did on day 1, if not better.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

BadAss Hooligan

Gday Murphy,

Difficult decision, but in terms of resale and the figures you've provided above, I don't see much financial difference in buying a 16k bike with a resale of 12k in a few years against spending 4k on the rex with a lower resale in a few years. So it seems the benefits will be determined by your appetite to do all of the labour work on the ZRX against the turn-key option of the Ninja and your enjoyment in riding/owning them.

It sounds like most of your issues with the ZRX involve the engine/trans so you could always find a low km replacement engine either from a ZRX (theres a 1200 up at Hills Motorcycle Wreckers at the moment) or from a ZZR.

If it was my decision, I would rather keep and store the ZRX (let the rego/insurance lapse so it doesnt cost anything to have sitting there) rather than sell it for 2k and get the Ninja. At least the its there if you decide to start tinkering on it again in a couple of years.

If you decide to sell the ZRX or part it out, let me know - it'll be going to a good home

BadAss Hooligan

I'm starting to think that the economics are swinging in back favour of the ZRX.

I am 67 years old, so lets assume I have another 5 years "sports-touring" left in me. Over the last 5 years, I've racked up 60,000kms, so lets assume over the next 5 years, as I get a little older and a little slower, I only rack up around 45,000kms.

The current Dealer price for a new 2018 Ninja 1000SX is around $18,000, while a 2013 Ninja 1000SX with 20~40,000kms is around $10,000. This means that the nett "out of pocket" cost over 5 years for a Ninja 1000SX is around $8,000. (ie. 18000-10000 = 8000)

So, if I spend $8,000 on my old ZRX now, and recycle it at scrap metal yard in 5 years time for $0, I won't be any worse off financially.

This "out of pocket" cost excludes consumables like oil, tyres, chains, registration, etc but they will be the same regardless of which bike I ride.

So, if I go down the "Project ZRX" route, what can I get for my $8,000.

Things I can do myself = $3000
    • Traxxion fork cartridges,
    • Cam chain, starter chain, waterpump overhaul
    • Wheel bearings, swing arm bearings
    • Replacement alternator
    The gearbox is becoming "notchy", so it will need some work which will involve splitting the cases. I'm thinking a new shift drum + shift forks + FPro detent kit.

I could stay with the 5-speed gear cluster, but if I am going to get the cases split, then I may as well go for a 6-Speed Transmission = $2000 (I can strip down the engine but I'll need a workshop to split the cases).

That leaves around $3000 for the engine,
    • Ape Head Work = $1600
    • Kwick Yoshi Cams = $1600
    • Ape 1224 Big Bore Kit = $2000

Which 2 out of those 3 make sense ?? Stock bore + re-work head + cams ??

Puppy Love
    Outside of the delivery area for Mikes furniture

Sell the ZRX cheap to that guy in Marrickville
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    I don't act like that and I have a small pe**s. I'm just gayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric308 View Post
    Hey, I'm two hours later here in Cheeseland if that would help. Right now I''m wearing a #69 Packer onesie with green stilettos.

EMPLOYERS: Avoid hiring unlucky people by immediately tossing half the CVs into the bin

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
    Sell the ZRX cheap to that guy in Marrickville
    You spelt BRISVEGAS wrong

Puppy Love
    Outside of the delivery area for Mikes furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    You spelt BRISVEGAS wrong
    No, I'm just trying to keep it easY and local for everyone, heck My trailer in nearly back on the road too
    Last edited by Greedy; 10-29-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    I don't act like that and I have a small pe**s. I'm just gayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric308 View Post
    Hey, I'm two hours later here in Cheeseland if that would help. Right now I''m wearing a #69 Packer onesie with green stilettos.

EMPLOYERS: Avoid hiring unlucky people by immediately tossing half the CVs into the bin

Hooligan

The gearbox is becoming "notchy", so it will need some work which will involve splitting the cases. I'm thinking a new shift drum + shift forks + FPro detent kit.

Perhaps: http://ksrc-au.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=45984

Name:  Shift2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  164.6 KB

Legal Eagle

Murph - Your decision depends on what you want to ride, don't over analyze the economics. Do you want something newer or do you want to keep riding your beloved ZRX? You need to maximize your enjoyment, that's why we ride in the first place.