+ Reply to Thread
    The Normal Hooligan

Question Drag Racing Modifications?

1st gen ZX1400 (2007)
    Bike runs 9:394 @116.5mph (3.99@330')
    Stock engine with extended swing arm kit, Power Commander 3 (Brock's generic MR2 tune) , Brock's Sidewinder. MPS air shifter. Butterflies out and no airfilter (as per tune file)
    Single front brake, no abs, no lights, race body but stock fuel tank, (run with two bars showing on gauge)

Suggestions for cost effective mods to increase power.
    Of course would love to run 8.99 but not at great cost!

I am thinking head porting is the first logical step, but have no idea where to start looking for a reasonable job for a reasonable cost

Am located in Canada so it makes a huge difference if the services are available up here or not.

Thanks for any guidance!Name:  _n.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  64.0 KB
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hance; 10-18-2019 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added more info.
    WARNING !
    Poster tends to use sarcasm during regular communication. If a post seems offensive please re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin...

Hooligan

Re: Drag Racing Modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Hance View Post
    1st gen ZX1400 (2007)
    Bike runs 9:394 @116.5mph (3.99@330')
    Stock with extended swing arm kit, Power Commander 3 (Brock's generic MR2 tune) , Brock's Sidewinder.

Suggestions for cost effective mods to increase power.
    Of course would love to run 8.99 but not at great cost!

I am thinking head porting is the first logical step, but have no idea where to start looking for a reasonable job for a reasonable cost

Am located in Canada so it makes a huge difference if the services are available up here or not.

Thanks for any guidance!
    Pulling the butterflies out of the injecters made a noticable inprovement in low in on mine . Zx1441 is a great website for zx14s

Truly a BadAss Hooligan

.020" shaved off the head will give ya about another 10 HP. You could go with what they used to call the Super Street cut and the bike will be right at 200hp but don't you dare miss a shift. SS cut from what I remember was a .040" to .060" angled cut. Your not going to get much from porting as those heads were pretty good from the factory.
    1307cc BOTM March 09
    1/8 mile: 5.8385 @ 120.35 mph
    1/4 mile: 9.161

ZRXOA # 6771
    "A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man."

BadAss Hooligan

I ran 9.03-9.08's with a 15t front and 45t rear sprocket with a full stock dressed weight bike extended 9.5 inches with a single stage lockup. Knock that 60ft into the low 1.40's high 1.30's and you can get close. 40hp dry nitrous is a cheap way to get there too.
    Get on the short bus boys 'cause I'm takin' y'all to school!

The Normal Hooligan

I simply forget the gearing. I will check the records to see.
    Launch at 6000 rpm and reach full throttle and full clutch engagement before the tree.

This bike has never went quicker than 9.30 even with a multi year/multi bike/ multi track points winner riding it. Note that the riders were both over 250 lbs!
    Last edited by Hance; 10-18-2019 at 12:55 AM.
    WARNING !
    Poster tends to use sarcasm during regular communication. If a post seems offensive please re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin...

Hooligan

To many ways to list, but here's a way to get some cheap power. The Gen2 cams are more aggressive and are a bolt in !! Maybe a real extended swingarm of at least 8-10 over. I've been 9.63@151 SWB on my Gen2 14 and I'm 240lbs add gear and I'm around 255lbs.

BadAss Hooligan

I simply forget the gearing. I will check the records to see.
    Launch at 6000 rpm and reach full throttle and full clutch engagement before the tree.

This bike has never went quicker than 9.30 even with a multi year/multi bike/ multi track points winner riding it. Note that the riders were both over 250 lbs!
    If he didnt 60ft the bike it wouldnt run better. The mph on that time ticket is at least good for 9.teen passes. Believe me, I did over 1800 passes on a stock motor at 245lbs suited. A whole tenth needs to come off of the 60ft. but in your defense, the mph needs to be 149 or so to touch the 8's. Mine would mph 151 in the cold air but started dropping until it settled at 145-146. Found out it had a plugged fuel pump sock when I took it apart to turbo it. Have you checked yours?
    For some reason your 1/8th mph is a little low. Might be gearing? I couldnt get the job done at 6000rpm at my weight, I had to launch at 8-9000 to get 1.38-1.41 60foots.
    Last edited by kawasakijockey; 10-18-2019 at 01:42 AM.

BadAss Hooligan

Jim Gilnack of Competition CNC can bore your throttle bodies from 44 to 47mm.
    Driveability is great after a tune and I picked up several ponies.
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

Devilsí Advocate

See Brock's for how to grind away 1/2 your brake pads.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

The Normal Hooligan

Gearing is 16:49 Rear gear is an alum vortec.
    Rear tire is a Shinko Hookup Pro 190-50x17 front is Shinko Stealth 120x60x17
    Bike also has a Brocks tie down kit on the front.
    Rear shock has been re-valved to drag race spec's.
    Lowering links on rear and forks are lowered a bit as well.
    2nd gen Cams and an actual dyno tune sounds reasonable.
    I wonder about removing the balance shafts?
    Yes the other guy only launched it at 6750ish. Can't imagine me leaving at 8500 without either flipping over or burning up the clutch
    I the swing arm extensions are 9" I think, wheel base is 67 3/8"
    Going to check the fuel pickup soon, thanks for that tip! Season is over up here.

Pete:What the hell are you on about??
    Last edited by Hance; 10-23-2019 at 02:09 AM.
    WARNING !

Devilsí Advocate

Gearing is 16:49 Rear gear is an alum vortec.
    Rear tire is a Shinko Hookup Pro 190-50x17 front is Shinko Stealth 120x60x17
    Bike also has a Brocks tie down kit on the front.
    2nd gen Cams and an actual dyno tune sounds reasonable.
    I wonder about removing the balance shafts?
    Yes the other guy only launched it at 6750ish. Can't imagine me leaving at 8500 without either flipping over or burning up the clutch
    I will measure the swing arm extensions, they look about 7"
    Going to check the fuel pickup soon, thanks for that tip! Season is over up here.

Pete:What the hell are you on about??
    Itís on here. Brock sands away half the brake pad contact area...really.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

I have read in the past that the guys who ran without balance shafts put them back in.
    What fuel are you using with the MR12 map?
    I had a friend try the MR9 and 12 with no luck. I loaded the track map with regular ol' 87 and he picked up almost 2 tenths somehow.
    It is what I ran with at the time too.
    Last edited by kawasakijockey; 10-23-2019 at 07:39 AM.

The Normal Hooligan

After contacting Brocks re: Cost of MR12 vrs the fact that I don't win any money, they suggested that I run mid grade un-leaded. So that's what I do.
    Had a couple of local ZX1400 guys suggest just leave the balance shafts alone.
    Going to do a leak down and go from there. I imagine a set of rings and a little valve lapping will be in order

I wanted to ask on here because it's such an active forum. The zx1441r forum has some good info but not to much activity. I was hoping people would just chime right in and say something that everyone does and it gains 10 hp or something

As we say around here in the racing game "It ain't nothin' a couple thou won't fix!"

Thanks guys!
    WARNING !

BadAss Hooligan

If you would like a Brock's track map I might be able to email it for you to try.

Hooligan

Gotta remember that any map is generic, a good data logger will get you to the specifics for your bike and your area. Elevation/humidity etc will be specific to you... The map can get you close but you'll still need a little fine tuning to get it right. BTW a set of ZX10 wheels is a cheap/reasonable way to drop some weight... How about your chain O-ring or non O-ring ?
    Last edited by ZX1441r; 10-25-2019 at 01:59 AM.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by ZX1441r View Post
    Gotta remember that any map is generic, a good data logger will get you to the specifics for your bike and your area. Elevation/humidity etc will be specific to you... The map can get you close but you'll still need a little fine tuning to get it right. BTW a set of ZX10 wheels is a cheap/reasonable way to drop some weight... How about your chain O-ring or non O-ring ?
    All great info above!
    I run a logger, they are reasonably priced and fairly easy to hook up. The data really helps.
    ZX10R wheels are a great mod, the 14 wheels are probably the heaviest sportbike wheels out there. OSR even makes a kit with everything needed for the conversion, it includes wheel bearings for the 14 axle and all the spacers. I use to run 10 wheels before going to BST's, the 10 wheels are by far the best bang for the buck.
    I change sprockets quite a bit and honestly get tired of having to be so careful with the c/f wheels. If wheelies are a problem you can just swap out the rear wheel for a good drop in rotating weight.
    If you're not riding on the street definitely go with a non o-ring chain.....big difference.
    Dan

WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    See Brock's for how to grind away 1/2 your brake pads.
    You mean you dont grind away yours to save weight?
    Kidding. Really. Just kidding. Laffed my butt off when I read your post.

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by cuznguido View Post
    You mean you dont grind away yours to save weight?
    Kidding. Really. Just kidding. Laffed my butt off when I read your post.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

The Normal Hooligan

Strictly drag race bike. Good project for the winter, removing all the o-rings on the current chain!
    I only have a generic tune, looking around for a dyno with exhaust gas sniffer to dial in a map. Where I live there are no speed shops or engine repair shops with motorcycle experience. hearing rumours that there many be a dyno shop, but likely will have to drive to another province, and pay my $45.00 toll to use the bridge off of here.
    I have a Power Commander 3 USB but have no idea if I need a stand alone logger or an add on. I am open to suggestions.
    Could someone please tell me what years ZX10 lighter wheels fit my 1st generation ZX1400?
    I started to look into the 2nd gen cam shafts and from what little I could find it suggests that the intake is the same and swapping in a 2nd gen intake into the 1st gen exhaust is what they do. The cam needs some welding as well.
    WARNING !

BadAss Hooligan

For the wheel conversion you can go to osrbikes.com, he has the info you're looking for.
    On his site just go to the ZX14 link.
    Dan

WHY I STAND:

BadAss Hooligan

Hance you're a big guy what 6' to 6' 2" and over 250? Not being critical but it's hard for you to get skinny in the bike... wind plays a big part at the "Big In" and the faster you go the more it works against you. So anything you can do to get lower behind the fairing and windscreen would be a huge.

Doubt there is a way to lower the fuel tank but that would be something to look into. Lots of big guys have a hard time being small on the bike... so think along those lines to see what you can change yourself or the bike to make that happen.

As you know weight plays a big part also and I think your numbers look pretty good for what you're done to the bike and your size and weight.

What RPM at your going through the traps? I think the gearing KJ suggested would help but most likely makes the bike more wheelie prone. Getting the handle bars more forward and try to get some of your weight set more forward or at least leaning more forward should help.

The 1 - 2 shift is going to most important so sliding the clutch lever and rolling that throttle is where it's at... it's like being a surgeon in making that first slice smooth and the correct depth... practice practice! You could look into a slipper clutch!

It would be interesting if you knew of a good rider (not saying your not) that was under 5' 10" weighting less than 170... my experience that would get your bike in the teens... size and weight play HUGE when it comes to running good number as does rider ability.

A lot of good ideas have been suggested all will make more HP but remember the more HP the bike makes the harder to harness it in that first 60 feet to 300 feet... But if you don't have the HP then the 60 feet never get's better.

Longer swingarm may be come a need but I think 8's are in your reach... HP is just how much money you want to spend and the time spent finding it!

Good luck and be safe Keep us posted

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan

What Wayne is saying is good stuff due to his experience.
    I had a buddy cut down a spare ZX14 fuel tank that I use at drag racing & land speed events.
    I can't find any good, close up pictures right now but have these two to show a little what it looks like. At 215 pounds and a gut it helps me a bunch to get tucked in.
    Name:  PhotoEditor_20191030_115624237.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  1.24 MB
    Name:  PhotoEditor_20191030_115726846.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  1.35 MB
    The bottom picture is my youngest son making a pass on my bike at Bristol dragstrip, that's my oldest son on his 14 next to him. You can see how much of the tank is gone by the Kawasaki letters on the tank on his bike.
    It gets my weight forward to help with wheelies and also helps me get tucked in.
    You can see in my avatar I can tuck pretty good for an old fat guy!
    Dan

WHY I STAND:

Hooligan

Hance their is a shop in Truro with a dyno not sure of the name, planning on taking my VFR800 their in the spring, maybe one of the Nova Scotia guys will come in with some more info, Dave

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks Dan!

I've often thought about the picture in your avatar how tucked in you are... you look like a pretty big guy and then last week or so you posted up the picture of you and your wife at the Kawi dealer meeting and I realized you are big guy ... that's not a bad thing, us little guys always want to bigger

Back in my day as you can see by my avatar we didn't use fairing but they were not really all that popular then.

As far as drag racing Dave Schultz was the real pioneer for using a fairing on a Pro Stock bike but Dave's initial reason was to have a billboard to attract big time sponsors to display there name. A tiny decal with SUNOCO or EAGLE ONE wouldn't work from them but as we know it worked when their name rained all down the side of that big ass ugly fairing

Later Dave began doing wind tunnel testing and discovered there was a true advantage in having a fairing plus rider position also played a part in the total aerodynamics of the bike, rider and fairing. Schultz was always taking things to the next level.
    Dave and I raced motocross as a team in the earlier 70's and he was that way then with our Kawi F7 175cc endures converted to motocross bikes... we did kick some butt with those bikes

In my day we had air shifters and special cut trans gears that worked like an automatic which is still used in todays P/S bikes but the 4 valve heads and technology takes it to a whole different level.

Pro Stock bikes for the past few years have been running ET and MPH at what Top Fuel bikes ran back in my day. I always wonder when does the WALL come when the ET stops being lowered and MPH stops going higher? Just seems to be endless!!!

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan

The 16-49 gear that Hance has is a 3.06 ratio. A 17-52 gear has the same ratio of 3.06, but would accelerate the slowest. With a 15-46 it would be a 3.07 ratio,but it would accelerate the bike quickest. It is not the extra few links of chain weight that help or hurt. It is just the fact that the smaller front sprocket applies torque easier from a standing start. Something we learned in BMX as a teen. I have experimented with different size sprockets that have the almost same ratios a good bit. The 15t knocked .06 off my 60fts. and almost a tenth on the 330. I wheelie'd less, believe it or not, because I figured I was getting off of the clutch sooner. Weird.

The Normal Hooligan

Thanks a lot guys. Tons of info here!
    Dyno shop just outside Moncton NB that can do actual mapping, I hear.
    I always though a ratio was a ratio till the young fellow got into kart racing, running the same ratio but with smaller gears always got out of the corners better?
    I would love to see a couple more shots of that cut down tank!
    Anyone have a ZX10 rear wheel for sale? Must be reasonable price because I am Canadian and will have to pay a lot of fees to get it here!!!
    WARNING !

BadAss Hooligan

Name:  Polish_20191104_162737877.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  1.70 MB
    Name:  Polish_20191104_162703783.jpg
Size:  1.80 MB
    Name:  Polish_20191104_162606547.jpg
Size:  1.75 MB

Here ya go Hance,
    Dan

WHY I STAND:

The Normal Hooligan

Thanks. That's the sort of inspiration I need.

Any Canadian persons have a ZX-10 rear wheel and or a !st gen ZX1400 fuel tank for sale?
    WARNING !