+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bar End Mirrors

Licensed to Mod

Bar End Mirrors

Considering doing bar end mirrors. Obviously that entails removing the end weights. Have read that causes more vibration thru the bars.....thoughts?
    Jeff
    '85 750 Turbo E2 - '86 Ninja 600 - '00 ZRX - '03 ZRX

Two wheeled FREAK

Re: Bar End Mirrors

Budzrx makes heavy bar ends that he will machine for car end mirrors. Works well. Or he can machine your stock bar end weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM me for great prices on Öhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

Licensed to Mod

Quote Originally Posted by detrailers View Post
    Considering doing bar end mirrors. Obviously that entails removing the end weights. Have read that causes more vibration thru the bars.....thoughts?
    You can replace your end weights with a set from rhinomoto that have a section machined down to 7/8" so that the bar end mirrors clamp on easily. Or, you can pay someone to machine your existing weights. OR... you can machine them down yourself like I just did.

Name:  IMG_2724.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  254.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2739.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  282.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2772.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  203.9 KB

Poor man's lathe. I chucked the weight on my drill press and used an angle grinder to rough cut it. Then I did final shaping with metal files and snuck up on the final dimensions but repeatedly checking with a micrometer.
    It doesn't get any better than this....and that's what's bothering me.

I used to be....

I am a big fan of bar end mirrors. Smooths out the airflow, great rearward sight but the downside is the width. I have aluminum handlebars on all bikes so can't answer your question on vibration with stock bars. Can say with aluminum bars and no end weights we don't have any problems with vibration.

We used some cheap bar-end mirrors in the past and the glass was a bit loose in the housing causing some blurriness. Have CRG's on the bikes and they are solid as a rock.

I used to be....

Quote Originally Posted by RAD View Post
    You can replace your end weights with a set from rhinomoto that have a section machined down to 7/8" so that the bar end mirrors clamp on easily. Or, you can pay someone to machine your existing weights. OR... you can machine them down yourself like I just did.

Attachment 319571

Attachment 319572

Attachment 319573

Poor man's lathe. I chucked the weight on my drill press and used an angle grinder to rough cut it. Then I did final shaping with metal files and snuck up on the final dimensions but repeatedly checking with a micrometer.
    Looks great, took some work and a lot of patience.

Father Joe

There's a guy on this here lil' motorbike board that makes some Tew-Kewl-Fewr-Skewl bar ends out there in Chandler Arizona. Have you seen them?
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

Licensed to Mod

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    There's a guy on this here lil' motorbike board that makes some Tew-Kewl-Fewr-Skewl bar ends out there in Chandler Arizona. Have you seen them?
    You're right about that and this was in no way meant to slight that business endeavor. I should have probably prefaced my post with "If you're a cheapskate like me..."

It doesn't get any better than this....and that's what's bothering me.

Licensed to Mod

Wow excellent info guys TY
    Jeff
    '85 750 Turbo E2 - '86 Ninja 600 - '00 ZRX - '03 ZRX

Two wheeled FREAK

PM me for great prices on Öhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

Hooligan

I've got Puig Hi tech parts wheights on my 12, and Rizoma bar-end mirrors.
    Don't know if you can get them in the US, but I think so.
    They work great and look good.
    Attached Images    
    The eyes are the window of the soul.

#10174 Z650b1 '77, Z650b2 '78, ZRX 1100 R '98, ZRX 1200 R '01.

BadAss Hooligan
    causing trouble near Milton, Ontario, Canada

I had one of Chrispy's sets
    I did not notice any increase in vibes But I have to wear gloves due to vibration regardless of which bar end weights are on the bike
    Johnnie Phatt
    Head honcho of project
    Rise of the Phoenix

bring Dave if you must....Perko

Stuffed Up

I dont have bar end mirrors, but I have removed the weights from 2 ZRXs and replaced with lightweight options - on neither have I felt any signifigant difference.

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

2009 Hooligan of the year

Quote Originally Posted by RAD View Post
    That's how I did mine, except my "drill press" was a hand drill held in a vice.

As for the original question, there are a lot of variables involved that effect bar vibration characteristics. Best you can do is start somewhere and resolve issues from there. In my case I did find that bar end weights were a noticeable improvement. I'm about to go through this whole experiment again, having just changed to aluminum bars with aluminum bar ends as mirror mounts.

Hooligan

I have the Old School Napoleon Bar-End mirrors, that go right into the ends of the bars so weights cannot be used. They ain't the snappiest looking bar-ends around, because, well, they're pretty big, which means...………………...you can actually SEE THINGS in back of you!! Imagine that! As far as vibration in the bars? Meh, it ain't bad at all. On my Monster S4R I bought it with these beautiful Rizoma mirrors, that look GREAT! Only thing is, you can barely see anything in back of you! I made SS extension pieces to shove them outboard a bit, and more SS extensions to bring them up a little bit, had the have special 10x1.25 L/H thread screws made, and after that small () bit of fettling, I can at least see more than a beautiful view of the inside of the elbow on my sweet Ducati Corsa leather jacket. The S4R is a sexy beast, so I just had to go through all that for the sake of style.

Ride On!

Chris
    Loose nut behind handlebars!

Hooligan

Loose nut behind handlebars!

BadAss Hooligan

I used eBay bar end mirrors WITH the standard bar end weights. I removed the standard handlebar expansion fittings and a longer bar end bolt to attach the mirrors. This mounting technique also moved the mirror outboard so that I could see behind me much better. The best of both worlds!!!

Name:  Bar End Mirror.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  29.9 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin