+ Reply to Thread
    New, but just to this Board

Hello from Seattle! Proud new owner of a 2003 Zrx1200r. Questions about mods

Hey guys!

Awesome to have found such resourceful community! After falling in love with the looks/reviews of the ZRX 5 years ago, I FINALLY found one with relatively low miles (22K), and that had been garaged for the majority of the past 10 years. I got a green one, I heard they're the fastest!

Had a question about BASIC mods, as I'm not new to riding, (I also have a 1981 KZ 750, the "older" sister), but new to modifying bikes. I heard the ZRX is a good bike to work on.

The question is about the K&N air filter. Is it a worthwhile upgrade by itself? The bike came with a Scorpion can on it, and I've been reading that its best to do all (3) at once, the exhaust, the jets/carbs, and the air filter.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Ryan

President of the ZRXOA

Re: Hello from Seattle! Proud new owner of a 2003 Zrx1200r. Questions about mods

Welcome aboard Ryan. You're correct in that it's best to do all 3 at once. No use doing any of them without the others. Lots of HP and torque will be unlocked when you put a full exhaust/jet kit/pod air filters on.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Legal Eagle

Re: Hello from Seattle! Proud new owner of a 2003 Zrx1200r. Questions about mods

Welcome aboard

The REX likes to roll off its kickstand, so park in 1st gear, but shift to neutral and no clutch when starting. Also, change ALL fluids and how old are the tires? Do you know about the O ring in the petcock?

BadAss Hooligan

Suspension first.

Oh, and Welcome!
    02' ORANGE!

Originally Posted by CinKo

"Apparently Titanium to Kawasaki
    Has become what Chrome is to Harley..."

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Ti = Sex

Licensed to Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Welcome aboard

The REX likes to roll off its kickstand, so park in 1st gear, but shift to neutral and no clutch when starting. Also, change ALL fluids and how old are the tires? Do you know about the O ring in the petcock?
    hello!i'm new here too, and seem to have a weirdly similair story- ie, fell in love with the zrx some time ago, but only just found one. mine's an '04 with 23000kms on it, green, and my previous bike was the kz550!

anyway- what's this about the o ring in the petcock?
    my knees hurt.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by atron View Post
    ...... what's this about the o ring in the petcock?
    Welcome to the ZRX Party

Re: Petcock O Ring - Give this a read > http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...ck-Help-Thread
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

He is I

triton thinks it won't be long before kinglouie321 has to take a second mortgage on his castle. just say'in.

welcome to the fun house.
    uuhh the other larry - rwynant 2009

remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday - dale carnegie

four time winner of the ZRXOA picture game

zrxoa #8603

05 zrx 1200r - ludicrous speed
    01 zrx 1200r - proof my wife loves me
    02 zrx 1200r - cause there is no substitute for torque
    03 zrx 1200r - triton's bride limits him to four
    95 HD sportster 883 - for the buzz

BadAss Hooligan

Welcome!

Hide yer wallet...
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Douglas Adams

ZRXOA #6379

No More Clowns
    Olympia, WA, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by kinglouie321 View Post
    Hey guys!

Awesome to have found such resourceful community! After falling in love with the looks/reviews of the ZRX 5 years ago, I FINALLY found one with relatively low miles (22K), and that had been garaged for the majority of the past 10 years. I got a green one, I heard they're the fastest!

Had a question about BASIC mods, as I'm not new to riding, (I also have a 1981 KZ 750, the "older" sister), but new to modifying bikes. I heard the ZRX is a good bike to work on.

The question is about the K&N air filter. Is it a worthwhile upgrade by itself? The bike came with a Scorpion can on it, and I've been reading that its best to do all (3) at once, the exhaust, the jets/carbs, and the air filter.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Ryan
    "BASIC" mods...... oh youuuuuuu

Welcome!

I'm out in Olympia and there are some other OA guys around here too! I still need to get that meet and greet set up!
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Derro View Post
    "BASIC" mods...... oh youuuuuuu

Welcome!

I'm out in Olympia and there are some other OA guys around here too! I still need to get that meet and greet set up!
    Yes, we still need a meet & greet! And a ride, though that may have to wait till next Spring. I'l be back in town at the end of October m, and it's usually getting cool and damp by then.

Welcome aboard, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

My personal opinion is that a stock Rex offers plenty of torque and power. A bolt-on muffler and sounds cool. Air filter and jetting changes while keeping the stock exhaust header can give marginal power increases but can improve durability and throttle response a bit.

The stock header is a real cork in the breathing system, and a massive boat-anchor chunk of weight also. I did my first aftermarket header installation (with jetting and pod filters) primarily to reduce weight (about 15-20 lb reduction) but found I enjoyed the 20+ hp gain as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)

BadAss Hooligan

Welcome to the best place on earth ,where we will help you spend cubic dollars on a 20 years old bike .

here is just the tip of the ice burg

https://japan.webike.net/KAWASAKI/ZR...s/474/1001/mc/
    01 ZRX 1200 green
    00 ZRX 1100 black
    12 C14 connie red
    2003 KLX 400
    2004 CRF100
    2008 CRF100
    2016 300 Ninja
    2017 Z125 Pro
    " Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars"

" That which you manifest is before you " Enzo

ZRXOA# 8746

BadAss Hooligan

BTW here's a FREE Service Manual download >>> http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...=1#post4695130
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

Welcome Aboard to you both...

Always amazing to see people waiting and waiting to purchase a ZRX... 15 to 20 year old bike and it's still one of the best in it's class.

As you both have seen there are plenty of us here if you need help or advice about your ZRX and just about anything else on this planet that troubles you.. so no dumb questions here and don't be to shy to ask

Enjoy your new ride... and be safe

Wayne

Father Joe

Welcome aboard Ryan from Bamaland.

Though.......I was born and raised in Bellevue, Washington, schooled at the Ewe Dub and lived for 4 years in Magnolia.

You're gonna love the bike. You're gonna really enjoy this motorcycle board of knuckleheaded hooligans who will wear on you to the point you absolutely love them.

Welcome aboard sailor!
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

Everybody here keeps their bikes completely stock!

Welcome!
    May the dust of your carriage wheels blind the eyes of your foes.

Tanner's Photo Assistant

Yo, Louie!! Keep it stock............like mine. Seattle proper or outskirts like the rest of us??
    ZRXOA #2754

I cut it twice and it's still too short!!

Originally Posted by philobeddoe
    ..........wanna know the law? ask a criminal, not a cop.........

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyone View Post
    Suspension first.

Oh, and Welcome!
    Couldn't agree more. Doing the forks was a huge change then the shocks really rounded the bike out very nicely. I would prioritize it over anything else (non maint)

New, but just to this Board

You guys rock! Appreciate all the tips, suggestions, warm-welcomes, and hopeful riding-partners in the greater Seattle area!

I'm actually in Edmonds (20 minutes north of the city), but work in Real Estate, so i'm all over the Greater Seattle/Bellevue area.

Let me know when you guys want to group up for a ride over the pass!

BadAss Hooligan

I'm at Maltby, near Woodinville, so a meet-up is easy!

Mike is a bit over an hour south of us. Still do-able.

The are a few relatively new Rexers I've met around the Puget Sound.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)