+ Reply to Thread
    TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

Any plumbers or like minded plumbers on here?

I have a plumbing question. The house we are looking to buy is on city water and city sewer. The house has a sewer evacuation pump down in the basement foundation. You enter this area by a good-sized exterior door.

The seller had some problems with it in Dec. of 2018. The "sump pump" as it's called in the full disclosure statement, said that it was replaced at a cost of $8200 and all problems were mitigated.

My question is........is the sewer evacuation pump also known as a sump pump? When initially looking at the house, I did open that exterior access door and peer inside. The pump in question is quite large. I'd say close to that of a 55 gal. drum, if not larger. It has some very large diameter pipes coming from it.

We've never owned a house with any kind of a sump pump, let alone a septic evacuation pump. I suppose cause this house sits on a hillside, it needs a pump to get rid of the sewer waste, where as other homes can get by with a gravity flow.

It also has some sort of an alarm system on it.

Can anyone elaborate some on this system I speak of? I'd like to be better educated on this system and how it works. We are meeting an inspector tomorrow and I do plan to ask him about it. I'd like to come off as knowing something about it.

TIA!!
    Last edited by dano; 10-03-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

Born In The USA

Re: Any plumbers or like minded plumbers on here?

In general terms, a sump is a container for something. Some houses have water problems, and a sump and a pump are used to get it out from under the house. A sewage evac system is a work around due to the collection point being lower than the sewer pipe under the street. The sewage has to be lifted to the pipe in the street.

It's a problem that you will have to pay attention to. The pump is electric. What could go wrong with that? You might have to rig a generator to power the pump when your power is out.

You will have to make sure your guests don't put anything in the toilet that will make it mad.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Father Joe

If you're on septic sewer. And the field lines are above/higher than the house. Then YES you need to pump the waste against gravity. There is often a grinder to chew up your.....uh....you know.....corn.......so that it pumps easy.

Without a doubt that is a TDF (Turd Disposal Feature) I would not want.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    In general terms, a sump is a container for something. Some houses have water problems, and a sump and a pump are used to get it out from under the house. A sewage evac system is a work around due to the collection point being lower than the sewer pipe under the street. The sewage has to be lifted to the pipe in the street.

It's a problem that you will have to pay attention to. The pump is electric. What could go wrong with that? You might have to rig a generator to power the pump when your power is out.

You will have to make sure your guests don't put anything in the toilet that will make it mad.

Excellent! You pretty much nailed what I was thinking it would be or do.

You created a couple of more questions for me to ask the inspector.

Thank-you very much!

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    If you're on septic sewer. And the field lines are above/higher than the house. Then YES you need to pump the waste against gravity. There is often a grinder to chew up your.....uh....you know.....corn.......so that it pumps easy.

Without a doubt that is a TDF (Turd Disposal Feature) I would not want.

From what I understand and know, the house does not have a septic field or an underground tank. But, I will definitely find out for sure.

Thanks!

BadAss Hooligan

My question is........is the sewer evacuation pump also known as a sump pump?

The technical name for this system is - Sewage Grinder Ejector Pump - No tampons or hair balls down that drain - And make sure you have a generator to run it during those "dark" times.
    *2004*PASSION*RED*KOOL*KALM*KOLLECTED*ZRXOA*7057*
    * Z R X * KAWASAKI * 1 2 0 0 * KAWASAKI * Z R X *

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by lennyk View Post
    My question is........is the sewer evacuation pump also known as a sump pump?

The technical name for this system is - Sewage Grinder Ejector Pump - No tampons or hair balls down that drain - And make sure you have a generator to run it during those "dark" times.

I understand the female personal hygiene issue. Hairballs huh? I suppose hair strainers on top of all the shower / tub drains.

Some have said the system might have a battery back-up. I'm thinking I'm going to need to enter that access area and take a really good look at it and what's in there.

Thanks for your reply.

Hooligan

Something else to ponder is ; That sounds like a BIG motor. Most businesses in our town have to meet our construction specs of ;;; dual grinder motors under 3 HP each. About 1/2 of our city lift stations have 10 HP to 20 HP motors( about the size of a round kerosene heater). JUST how big is this house and how many people live it ???

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by RiceRiderSlim View Post
    Something else to ponder is ; That sounds like a BIG motor. Most businesses in our town have to meet our construction specs of ;;; dual grinder motors under 3 HP each. About 1/2 of our city lift stations have 10 HP to 20 HP motors( about the size of a round kerosene heater). JUST how big is this house and how many people live it ???

The house is 3552 sq ft. It's currently empty and I don't know anything about the previous owner(s). I think it was built in 2001. My wife would know for sure, but she's not here at the moment. It will be occupied by just the two of us.

It's has 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. It's a two level house.
    Last edited by dano; 10-03-2019 at 06:27 PM.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

In my initial post, I said that the pump looked to be quite large. I should have said the holding tank looked to be quite large.

I have no clue as to how big the pump motor actually is.

Hooligan

More than likely the sewer grinder / pump system is required because of a bathroom in the basement and the need to lift the waste to the main sewer line serving the 1st story. I wouldn’t think a battery backup / UPS has enough battery capacity to run the Sump Pump (ground water) and the sewerage grinder/pump during a power outage. I’d definitely want to have a generator backup and a easy to access connection point to power the pumps from the generator. Keep in mind the generator needs to exhaust to the exterior of the building at a minimum.

BadAss Hooligan

$8200.00 for a grinder pump? No pun intended but holy crap! I've had one in my basement bathroom and no problems in 15 years. I probably just jinxed myself. Like someone said just becareful of what goes down it.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

There's a good chance that this septic pump system only services the lower level of the house. That's what I hoping for.

If that's the case, I feel much better about it. That would be a big load (no pun intended) off my mind. We are meeting an inspector tomorrow for a shorter, follow up inspection. I'm hoping he will know enough to answer my questions.

I'm going to get my step-son to ask the listing agent to ask the seller who installed the system.
    Last edited by dano; 10-03-2019 at 07:56 PM.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

More than likely the sewer grinder / pump system is required because of a bathroom in the basement and the need to lift the waste to the main sewer line serving the 1st story. I wouldn’t think a battery backup / UPS has enough battery capacity to run the Sump Pump (ground water) and the sewerage grinder/pump during a power outage. I’d definitely want to have a generator backup and a easy to access connection point to power the pumps from the generator. Keep in mind the generator needs to exhaust to the exterior of the building at a minimum.

I'm really hoping that you are right, in regards to a bathroom on the lower level. I'll know by this time tomorrow if the system indeed as a battery back-up.

Not crazy about the possible need for a dedicated generator though. There's more than plenty of space in the basement foundation area that this system is in. 10-4 on the exhaust routing.

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

This sounds like a strange combo....you're on city sewer but have a septic pump? I would think the house was built higher than the city sewage lines so therefore no pump needed.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie View Post
    This sounds like a strange combo....you're on city sewer but have a septic pump? I would think the house was built higher than the city sewage lines so therefore no pump needed.

The house sits on a hillside. A good portion of the property is steep, brushy, and useless, unless you're a Billy Goat.

The lower level of the house is well below street level. Hence, the need for a separate waste water pumping station. I'm really hoping that is the case. If so, the lower bathrooms will rarely get used.

beermonger

Shit goes down hill. The basement bath requires a sewage ejector/ sump pump to pump waste up hill. 8 grand was about what I charged for a basement bath with sump pump complete, where do you live Beverly Hills? I never should have retired.
    OBJECTS IN MIRROR
    NO LONGER MATTER

ZRXOA member #1964

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by IGNATZ View Post
    Shit goes down hill. The basement bath requires a sewage ejector/ sump pump to pump waste up hill. 8 grand was about what I charged for a basement bath with sump pump complete, where do you live Beverly Hills? I never should have retired.

We've looked at so many houses, they are now beginning to blend together. I simply cannot recall if two of the four baths were downstairs or not.

I know for sure, at least one is. And, there's a small utility sink in the great room (family room) downstairs. There's also an out door SS kitchen set-up on the back patio, that has two sinks and water available of course. We plan on getting rid of that.

Beverly Hills? Naw, not a chance. N. AZ., up in the mountains.

Wife says two bathrooms upstairs, two downstairs.
    Last edited by dano; 10-03-2019 at 09:46 PM.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

We went back to the house and met up with the inspector. We went into the access area that the sewage grinder ejector pump is in. The holding tank appears to be at least 100 gals. if not more.

The inspector seems to think that both levels of the house are served by the system. It does not have a battery back-up system.

He says it looks as if it has two pumps. I hope that someone can say for sure by looking at the attached pics. We are going back again this weekend, and I can take more pics if needed.

In a prior post, I stated that a cost of $8200.00 was used to repair or replace the system. I was mistaken! That amount was was paid out by an insurance company for a claim that included repair or replacement of the system and any subsequent damage that was done. I have no idea as to any details.

Name:  P1090786.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  144.3 KB

Name:  P1090787.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  151.3 KB

Name:  P1090788.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  152.6 KB
    Last edited by dano; 10-04-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Hooligan

I am thinking:
    Large diameter black pipe is for gravity collection from your house ( I see there appears to be a Y connection before it goes into tank)
    2 sets of wires entering the top of tank should be to power the pumps and float switches.
    2 smaller diameter pipes ( With white Fittings ) appear to be the pressurized exit from your tank. Also looks to Y down to one pipe. Look to see if it exits the building. Look for perhaps a CLEAN OUT fitting on the outside of the building.
    White fittings with red handles look to be shut off valves - - good for when doing repairs.
    White fittings with bump in middle, kind of looks like would be 1 way check valves --- so that expelled waste water does not flow back into tank.

All being said -THE tank is Large ,as it should be for holding capacity ,and you most likely have 2 small pumps inside. This type of installation usually gives YEARS of good service as the pumps are cooled by the water they are submersed in, and usually are Grinder pumps the they break up the solids for easier pumping. Just try to watch what is sent down the drains / toilets. Grease and so called Flushable Wipes main bad guys. We have most trouble with these as the wipes do not break down and bind with the grease to make mats. Which over time clog up our pumps. Hope this helps.

BadAss Hooligan

No experience, but anything mechanical will fail. I would sleep much better with some type of alarm or fault detector to alert me if one of the motors stops working.

At the sewage lift station across the street, the motors alternate and a data system logs motor operation so city can be sure each is functioning properly. The data is beamed to city facilities and pumps are regularly maintained, but we are asked to call if we see the green light atop the control cabinet change to red. When that has happened in the past, the sewer vac truck shows up and public servants get to climb down inside and check on the pumps. No releases noted in the past 30 years, but we are careful about what we send down the pipes.
    "with all deliberate speed"

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by RiceRiderSlim View Post
    I am thinking:
    Large diameter black pipe is for gravity collection from your house ( I see there appears to be a Y connection before it goes into tank)
    2 sets of wires entering the top of tank should be to power the pumps and float switches.
    2 smaller diameter pipes ( With white Fittings ) appear to be the pressurized exit from your tank. Also looks to Y down to one pipe. Look to see if it exits the building. Look for perhaps a CLEAN OUT fitting on the outside of the building.
    White fittings with red handles look to be shut off valves - - good for when doing repairs.
    White fittings with bump in middle, kind of looks like would be 1 way check valves --- so that expelled waste water does not flow back into tank.

All being said -THE tank is Large ,as it should be for holding capacity ,and you most likely have 2 small pumps inside. This type of installation usually gives YEARS of good service as the pumps are cooled by the water they are submersed in, and usually are Grinder pumps the they break up the solids for easier pumping. Just try to watch what is sent down the drains / toilets. Grease and so called Flushable Wipes main bad guys. We have most trouble with these as the wipes do not break down and bind with the grease to make mats. Which over time clog up our pumps. Hope this helps.

Thank-you for the reply and the information. You are right on the money, in regards to wipes and female personal hygiene products being a no-go.

Your description of the components of the system is also correct from what I have learned. This type of septic waste contraption makes me a little nervous. Never had to deal with anything like it before.

Thanks again!

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    No experience, but anything mechanical will fail. I would sleep much better with some type of alarm or fault detector to alert me if one of the motors stops working.

At the sewage lift station across the street, the motors alternate and a data system logs motor operation so city can be sure each is functioning properly. The data is beamed to city facilities and pumps are regularly maintained, but we are asked to call if we see the green light atop the control cabinet change to red. When that has happened in the past, the sewer vac truck shows up and public servants get to climb down inside and check on the pumps. No releases noted in the past 30 years, but we are careful about what we send down the pipes.

Yes, this system does have an alarm. Both a visual (flashing red strobe light) and an indoor audible alarm.

BadAss Hooligan

Put your ear against that Y pipe and have someone flush each toilet. You'll hear which ones go to the sump.

I have a sewer grinder/sump at the love shack. Luckily it's in the yard so when it fails (twice so far) the crap just runs into the grass.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by jjgres View Post
    Put your ear against that Y pipe and have someone flush each toilet. You'll hear which ones go to the sump.

I have a sewer grinder/sump at the love shack. Luckily it's in the yard so when it fails (twice so far) the crap just runs into the grass.

We plan to go back over to the house sometime this weekend. There will be three of us and I will indeed, have someone flush the toilets on both levels of the house to determine if both levels are served by the septic system.

Beings that there appears to be two pumps inside the tank, I'm thinking the system does serve both levels. I'll still do the sound test though.