+ Reply to Thread
    I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

2019 S1000XR Review

I was asked to post my opinion on a Ninja 1000 board so I'll post this again here as a FYI.........

So after having spent a week touring Austria, Slovenia.and Croatia on a 2019 S1000XR (with 32,000 kms), here's my review:.

Seat: One of the best seats on a stock bike I've ever ridden. I'm 5'11" w/ 32" inseam and 185 lbs. I'm sure other people with other dimensions would have a different experience but never once in the entire week did I think about my butt other than how the seat provided just the right amount of support (for me)..

Suspension: I wasn't sure about electronic suspension before this trip but now I'm more of a believer. I ran the bike fully loaded with three hard bags, solo with hard bags removed and two up with hard bags removed. I set the bike up with the left hand control button accordingly each time and each setting made a noticeable difference in preload (rear only) and damping settings (compression only front and back, I think....). From high speed solo cruising to fast twisties two up, the bike worked really well, mush better than I expected. If you are constantly switching between different setup scenarios like I mentioned, it's a very nice and easy way to go without having to dig out tools and adjust stuff. It would be even better if you could tweak each of the settings a little bit but I doubt that's an option..

Power: I only had a couple chances to really open it up at speed and it's plenty fast. The locked out Dynamic Pro setting minimized any wheelie tests but after riding Groovy's S1000R here at home, there's more than enough power there for an adventure / touring bike. It felt a little "soft" up to 6000 rpm and then things started to pick up..

Ergos: This is a damn big bike, as in it's really tall. Felt a bit top heavy, even with the hard bags removed. Combined with the comically short stock kickstand, sometimes I really had to muscle it off the stand, especially if you are on any side slope the wrong way. You are sitting very straight up. The handlebar is pretty darn wide so levering it through the turns was no problem. The wideness of the handlebar was noticeable in parking lots when at full lock as it made you reach a bit..

Transmission: Pretty tall first gear. On super tight and slow mountain switchbacks, once in a while I had to feather the clutch a bit but after a couple days, I got used to it. Overall shifting was very nice and the quick shifter (up and down) worked really well. This was my first time on a bike with a quick downshifter and there were times (low to mid rpms) it felt like the bike wasn't letting me downshift without the clutch or at least blipping the throttle a bit..

Traction control: Bike had Metzeler Z8's, about 30% worn. Once on a cool and slightly wet morning, the rear stepped out about a foot before traction control kicked in. Other than that one time, I never felt it kick in again.
    . .
    Wheelie control: The Dynamic Pro setting (that allows wheelies) was locked out on the rental bike. I asked and was told they lost 4 of 5 S1000XR's the first month they started renting them and they stopped activating this setting. You could get small wheelies by gassing it as you crested a hill and carry it for a while. Normally, I would always prefer to have the wheelie option available to me but when I was two up and running hard up mountain roads, it was kinda nice to just whack the throttle open and not worrying about keeping the front end down. When it activated, it was pretty smooth and didn't really both me at all.
    . .
    Vibration: This thing is buzzy, especially at cruising rpms / speeds. But the good (bad ?) thing is the faster you spun up the motor, the smoother things got. The thing is though you are really cooking when you get the revs up there. Pegs buzzed a bit but it didn't bother me as much as the bars.

Brakes: Pretty good power, never once did I think I needed more power but they did feel a bit wooden (different pads is probably all it needed). Once in awhile there was a slight shudder from the front but I think the pads were glazed over a bit (due to being a rental ?).. ..

Summary: This is a really nice bike that worked really, really well in multiple scenarios (setups, road conditions, etc) but it's certainly not for off road work although it handled some very rough broken pavement roads quite well. The motor is noisy and sounds/feels rough. Would I own one ? Not sure.....they are expensive, a PITA to work on and needs some work to smooth out the vibes in bars. Would I rent one again for a trip like this ? Absolutely...

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

No More Clowns
    Olympia, WA, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Re: 2019 S1000XR Review

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISPY View Post
    I was asked to post my opinion on a Ninja 1000 board so I'll post this again here as a FYI.........

So after having spent a week touring Austria, Slovenia.and Croatia on a 2019 S1000XR (with 32,000 kms), here's my review:.

Seat: One of the best seats on a stock bike I've ever ridden. I'm 5'11" w/ 32" inseam and 185 lbs. I'm sure other people with other dimensions would have a different experience but never once in the entire week did I think about my butt other than how the seat provided just the right amount of support (for me)..

Suspension: I wasn't sure about electronic suspension before this trip but now I'm more of a believer. I ran the bike fully loaded with three hard bags, solo with hard bags removed and two up with hard bags removed. I set the bike up with the left hand control button accordingly each time and each setting made a noticeable difference in preload (rear only) and damping settings (compression only front and back, I think....). From high speed solo cruising to fast twisties two up, the bike worked really well, mush better than I expected. If you are constantly switching between different setup scenarios like I mentioned, it's a very nice and easy way to go without having to dig out tools and adjust stuff. It would be even better if you could tweak each of the settings a little bit but I doubt that's an option..

Power: I only had a couple chances to really open it up at speed and it's plenty fast. The locked out Dynamic Pro setting minimized any wheelie tests but after riding Groovy's S1000R here at home, there's more than enough power there for an adventure / touring bike. It felt a little "soft" up to 6000 rpm and then things started to pick up..

Ergos: This is a damn big bike, as in it's really tall. Felt a bit top heavy, even with the hard bags removed. Combined with the comically short stock kickstand, sometimes I really had to muscle it off the stand, especially if you are on any side slope the wrong way. You are sitting very straight up. The handlebar is pretty darn wide so levering it through the turns was no problem. The wideness of the handlebar was noticeable in parking lots when at full lock as it made you reach a bit..

Transmission: Pretty tall first gear. On super tight and slow mountain switchbacks, once in a while I had to feather the clutch a bit but after a couple days, I got used to it. Overall shifting was very nice and the quick shifter (up and down) worked really well. This was my first time on a bike with a quick downshifter and there were times (low to mid rpms) it felt like the bike wasn't letting me downshift without the clutch or at least blipping the throttle a bit..

Traction control: Bike had Metzeler Z8's, about 30% worn. Once on a cool and slightly wet morning, the rear stepped out about a foot before traction control kicked in. Other than that one time, I never felt it kick in again.
    . .
    Wheelie control: The Dynamic Pro setting (that allows wheelies) was locked out on the rental bike. I asked and was told they lost 4 of 5 S1000XR's the first month they started renting them and they stopped activating this setting. You could get small wheelies by gassing it as you crested a hill and carry it for a while. Normally, I would always prefer to have the wheelie option available to me but when I was two up and running hard up mountain roads, it was kinda nice to just whack the throttle open and not worrying about keeping the front end down. When it activated, it was pretty smooth and didn't really both me at all.
    . .
    Vibration: This thing is buzzy, especially at cruising rpms / speeds. But the good (bad ?) thing is the faster you spun up the motor, the smoother things got. The thing is though you are really cooking when you get the revs up there. Pegs buzzed a bit but it didn't bother me as much as the bars.

Brakes: Pretty good power, never once did I think I needed more power but they did feel a bit wooden (different pads is probably all it needed). Once in awhile there was a slight shudder from the front but I think the pads were glazed over a bit (due to being a rental ?).. ..

Summary: This is a really nice bike that worked really, really well in multiple scenarios (setups, road conditions, etc) but it's certainly not for off road work although it handled some very rough broken pavement roads quite well. The motor is noisy and sounds/feels rough. Would I own one ? Not sure.....they are expensive, a PITA to work on and needs some work to smooth out the vibes in bars. Would I rent one again for a trip like this ? Absolutely...
    I'm MADLY in love with my 2016 S1000XR. It's quick, it's comfy and it handles pretty damn well! I'm 5'9" 260lbs.... It has the muscle to move my fat ass and it's simply fun as hell! I would never take mine off road even though there are videos of people flogging theirs offroad..... I want mine to last HAHA!!!! Glad someone else got to experience one!
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

Hooligan

I delivered a few to buyers and have ridden a bunch of them. Outstanding bike.
    ZRXOA #008987
    ZRXOA #027289

Never ride dirty

Legal Eagle

Thanks for the write up

Thixotropic Hooligan

Thanks for the review, now I know that I would like to rent one if on a trip.
    I'm going somewhere soon just not sure where. The photos were great.
    Do your own thing but don't touch mine.

Member # 10

Hal #8 RIP