+ Reply to Thread
    The Krylon Kid

Rotational judder

There is no actual noise, but that's the only way to describe it. It happens at any speed, clutch in, coasting. It seem synchronous with some rotational component, (brake rotor or speedo drive) and can be felt as a slight vibration through the bike and hands. Like a beating heart, that speeds up or down depending on RPM. Any thoughts... other than "STOP RIDING THAT MOTORCYLCE NOW!

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Rotational judder

Chain?
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

BOTM JUNE 2018 THE VANILLA GORILLA

beermonger

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMamba View Post
    Chain?
    Thatís my first guess or a warped rotor.
    OBJECTS IN MIRROR
    NO LONGER MATTER

ZRXOA member #1964

No More Clowns
    Olympia, WA, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

I'd lean toward chain.... How many miles on the chain? When was it lubed and adjusted last? Got a loose spot?
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

BadAss Hooligan
    causing trouble near Milton, Ontario, Canada

It could be a dry chain or one with a tight section
    You could try spraying the chain with a quality chain cleaner or washing out with varsol blow dry it and see if you can find it by hand baring that relube and see if the clean and lubes and see if it helps
    Johnnie Phatt
    Head honcho of project
    Rise of the Phoenix

bring Dave if you must....Perko

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

Easy enough to check for straight rotors. Once they are eliminated, seriously take a look at the chain. Remove it and clean the living Hell out of it. I always used pre-mix gasoline in a drain pan and a good parts brush. It always came out looking great.

Dry it and then check for kinks and/or tight spots. Reinstall it, adjust for proper tension and lube it up good. Raise the ass end of your bike and spin the rear tire by hand. Feel for tight spots and/or resistance.

If you have any doubt as to the amount of service life left in it, buy a new one.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Easy enough to check for straight rotors. Once they are eliminated, seriously take a look at the chain. Remove it and clean the living Hell out of it. I always used pre-mix gasoline in a drain pan and a good parts brush. It always came out looking great.

Dry it and then check for kinks and/or tight spots. Reinstall it, adjust for proper tension and lube it up good. Raise the ass end of your bike and spin the rear tire by hand. Feel for tight spots and/or resistance.

If you have any doubt as to the amount of service life left in it, buy a new one.
    The chain is riveted together. Are you thinking dirt bike with a clip?

If it's the chain, that should be easy enough to find, and spin the front with it up on a stand. You can straighten a rotor knocked out of alignment.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

bump in tyre, (very) unbalanced tyre

The Krylon Kid

And the verdict is in. It was the chain. I'm a little embarrassed. I had lubed it recently, apparently not well enough. Thanks fellas.

No More Clowns
    Olympia, WA, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    And the verdict is in. It was the chain. I'm a little embarrassed. I had lubed it recently, apparently not well enough. Thanks fellas.
    Damn chains!!!!!!!!
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

Weed Eaters Anonymous...
    In my LazyBoy or in the yard with a weed eater

My 2cents. How old/miles has the sprocket and chain been on the bike? I'm a big time lubber of my chain, about every ride. I'm gonna rethink what I've done the last 17 years/108K miles. Next time I'll get an X-Chain and keep it really clean and avoid the lubes short of some gear lube from time to time. Dirt is an issue around here. On the other hand, I'll probably lube the sheet out of it.....

The Krylon Kid

I think the chain and sprockets have about 15k on them. The sprockets are steel and the chain is an EK. I lube frequently (haha). When I have the time I get the tire off the ground and clean thoroughly with a brush and kerosene. Then spray clean with chain cleaner, dry with compressed air, and finally lube. I suspect that gets done about every 500 miles. In between those services the chain gets a re-lube once in a while. Although I have been guilty of rain riding without relubricating the chain afterwards. What is the expected service life of the 530 chain?

Hooligan

I`ve got 75000 miles on my Rex and I`m on my third chain and probably due for another in the next 5000 miles or so.

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Derro View Post
    Damn chains!!!!!!!!

That's why I'm riding a BMW.

When I had my ZRX, I was OCD about a clean and well lubed chain. The CS area was as clean as any other area on my bike as well.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

Do you feel BRUCE!, punk?

I think the chain and sprockets have about 15k on them. The sprockets are steel and the chain is an EK. I lube frequently (haha). When I have the time I get the tire off the ground and clean thoroughly with a brush and kerosene. Then spray clean with chain cleaner, dry with compressed air, and finally lube. I suspect that gets done about every 500 miles. In between those services the chain gets a re-lube once in a while. Although I have been guilty of rain riding without relubricating the chain afterwards. What is the expected service life of the 530 chain?
    I changed my chain at 38K miles and it was still good............I only changed it because I could not believe it could possibly still be good.
    2003 Green ZRX
    1983 Red Honda 1100F (sold)
    1983 Blue Honda 1100F (sold)
    1979 Honda CB650 Custom (broke cam/sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (bad cam/stolen/sold)

Born In The USA

When I have the time I get the tire off the ground and clean thoroughly with a brush and kerosene.
    There are threads about chain care on here.

Summery;

The chain is permanently lubed. The grease is captured inside the rollers by the O-rings. If kerosene gets past the O-ring and into the grease, the grease will become diluted, shortening the chain life.

What we are doing is cleaning the grit off the chain and applying an anti corrosion coating. That's why some of the products say "Chain Wax." You can't add lube to the rollers by any method I have heard of.

The old bikes/dirt bikes we used to ride did not have O-ring chains, so the way you are doing it would be OK for them.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550