+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

The end of the fast food era, welcome to the almighty kiosk !!

My 50+ yrs love affair with fast food(misguided one ) it's rapidly coming to and end, McDonald's dollar menu has served me well and the breakfast $1 burritos are indeed my favorites, it's cheap, fast and fresh. Not necessarily good/healthy, but less than $5 OTD for a meal is awsome imo.

Well the food is not fast anymore, anything more complicated than a big mac and you have to wait on designated parking or grab a table number, and wait, and hope that the planets are aligned just right and they get it right the 1st time

A employee of my regular MD told me they are going full kiosk mode this winter(no cashiers)across Florida,
    I said are you expecting layoffs, "No we are hiring, because we have to take food out to cars and restaurant sit-ins", U ok it makes perfect sense
    , after all they are the biggest junk/fast food in the planet for a reason

Orig. owner, 99 ZRX, 61k+
    ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Cam degree 105 int.,107 exh.
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.
    Ohlins RS, Race tech fork
    Fork brace+Steering damper

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.

" WHEN YOU OWN A CHINESE PRODUCT, ALL CHINESE SPARE PARTS ARE OEM QUALITY "

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

Re: The end of the fast food era, welcome to the almighty kiosk !!

Our local Taco Bell has one. We refuse to use it.

And, our Home Depot now has more self-checkouts than regular ones. Last time we were there, I asked the HD self-checkout observer guy if we got a discount for checking out our own items? He just looked at me with a blank stare and said no.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

I used to be....

Quote Originally Posted by Allen#212 View Post
    A employee of my regular MD told me they are going full kiosk mode this winter(no cashiers)across Florida,
    I said are you expecting layoffs, "No we are hiring, because we have to take food out to cars and restaurant sit-ins",
    With the amount of staffing turnover they have layoffs will never happen, hire 3 in a week instead of the normal 6.

McDonald's average sale's/ticket is up since they have gone to more kiosks, the higher sales is the driver for more kiosks. Locally there are fewer items on the dollar menu with some higher prices, wonder how much impact that had on average sale being up?

We all remember ordering at McD and getting the food quick, today they make everything to order which is adding time to receive the order. Consumers want fresher product and one that didn't sit in a warming tray. The other challenge is the increased number of product offerings slows prep time down. Not saying McD has the greatest service but much of the wait has been consumer driven through special orders and a variety of products.

Many people sing the praises of Chic-Fil-A, I like their products but something most don't think about is how simple their menu is. The sandwich build is a piece of chicken, pickle slice, and bun, think of the combinations you can make with a quarter pounder ( actually 4.06 ounce), cheese, onions, pickle, mustard, & ketchup, then you get more specific - light/heavy any of those condiments. Chic-Fil-A keeping the menu simple enables them to get the food out faster, less errors, lower sku's to stock and much easier for the back of the store staff.

I hate kiosks but being forced to use them more. Lowes, Home Depot, & Wal-Mart come to mind, wonder how much theft has gone up with the increased kiosk usage? Is it enough to pay an employee? More importantly can they find a qualified employee? Schools today don't teach simple math like how to count money nor make change, the economy has improved and there is considerable demand for customer service type employees and not much availability.

BadAss Hooligan

Every time an employee says the self-check is open, my response is ďNo thanks, I donít work here.Ē

My wife hates to go into a store with me Thatís the way I cut time in the store.

BadAss Hooligan

I quit buying the main menu items at McDonald's long time ago, too much $$, I can get bigger real meat hamburgers cooked to my liking with my choice toppings, fries and unlimited drink at local sit down dinner, avg $ 8-10+ tip OTD, nicer setting, etc.

ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.

Born In The USA

I would rather use the self check-out than wait.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    I am TOTALLY with Bill. The abject idiocy that all-too-often happens at the cashiered checkout drives me nucking futs. Option to run a total avoidance strategy? Oh hell yes. Sign me up and PUT ME IN COACH.

The convergence of The Rise of Stupid with politically mandated wage rates, on a backbone of technology and we have most of what's described in the posts above.

Kinda like a Kawasaki ZRX with 2 carbs and 2 fuel injectors.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

TMZ of the ZRXOA

We've been using the self-checkout @ Walmart for some time now. Initially, I was put off by it. With some prodding from my wife, we now use it exclusively. We've both become very adapt at it and usually experience no problems.

BadAss Hooligan

I don't have and issue with self checkout or self ordering kiosks, really like not dealing with people and their attitudes/drama, especially when the person in front you needs a void on a can of vienna sausage because they blew right thru their budget

I have a issue with the fast food being slow, that was the whole point of it, if I have to wait, I'll just go to a restaurant

Maybe I'm supposed to use uber eats and pay premiun restaurant food prices for McDonald's junk food, that's cold by the time you get it, there's absolutely nothing worst than cold french fries

ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Allen#212 View Post
    there's absolutely nothing worst than cold french fries
    McDonald's french fries actually change their state when they get cold and become 49% hazardous waste. At least in 1984. The last time I ate a cold one.

Kwackifoofoo

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    McDonald's french fries actually change their state when they get cold and become 49% hazardous waste. At least in 1984. The last time I ate a cold one.

That, and a little known secret. There are lobby fries and drive-thru fries. The drive-thru fries are bits and pieces of what used to be regular length fries. And, they tend to be older (as in NOT fresh) and not as hot as the lobby fires are.

In other words, the lobby fries are good and are of normal length. Of course, no McDonald's employee would ever admit to this, and the corporation itself would say it's fake news.

c10's best friend

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    That, and a little known secret. There are lobby fries and drive-thru fries. The drive-thru fries are bits and pieces of what used to be regular length fries. And, they tend to be older (as in NOT fresh) and not as hot as the lobby fires are.

In other words, the lobby fries are good and are of normal length. Of course, no McDonald's employee would ever admit to this, and the corporation itself would say it's fake news.
    Sorry but anyone at the counter can watch what they do and know that is not true, and the short fries are from the boxes being dropped while still frozen/brittle.
    Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

I used to be....

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX Mitch View Post
    Sorry but anyone at the counter can watch what they do and know that is not true, and the short fries are from the boxes being dropped while still frozen/brittle.
    Agree

I worked for the chicken supplier for McDonald's that covered everything east of the Mississippi river, and work for the hamburger supplier for the southeast. There are not many suppliers that can provide the quality McDonald's demands. The hamburgers are 100% beef, nothing added, using only approved suppliers that go through a rigorous approval process. They have been antibiotic free on chickens for decades and raised in the most humane process there is. The business model for McD and Chic-Fil-A are very different, most McD owners have multiple stores and hire management, we all know that most hired management will not have the same concern about customer service that the owner has. The Chic-Fil-A model allows the owner/operator one store and expect them to be hands on, a few have two stores.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    The bags at the self checkout are smarter than most cashiers.
    Signature deleted until pithy non-political one can be formulated.

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MADZRXMATT View Post
    The bags at the self checkout are smarter than most cashiers.
    By multiples.

Kwackifoofoo

Licensed to Mod
    Leeds,Alabama(about 5 miles from Barbers Motorsports Park)

I use the self checkouts every time. I can be in-out in minutes. I don't like people
    anyway so the less time dealing with people, the better. As far as the McDonald
    thing, I don't care if it's cheap. Their food is shit. It's not that i don't do some fast food
    from time to time, McDonald's food is shit. Just sayin'
    2002 ZZR1200

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX Mitch View Post

This secret is held as close to the chest of McDonald's Corp. as Area 51 is to the US Govt.

I suppose I shouldn't even have mentioned it. It won't be too very long until the all flat black helicopters begin to show up.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    This secret is held as close to the chest of McDonald's Corp. as Area 51 is to the US Govt.

I suppose I shouldn't even have mentioned it. It won't be too very long until the all flat black helicopters begin to show up.
    Like a scene from "Capricorn One"

Bak. Derk-derka ala. Derka derka, Mohammed Jihad. Baka sherpa-sherpa. Abaka-la.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by charliezzr View Post
    I don't like people
    anyway so the less time dealing with people, the better.

Not sure why I think that's so damn funny, but it is.

When science finally locates the center of the universe, some people will be surprised to learn they're not it.

Am I always a smartass? Nope. Sometimes I am asleep.

Life is better when you're laughing.

Hooligan

Wonder if it's a generational thing.
    Most of you guys are senior citizens.

I personally would prefer Kiosks vs. telling a person on the other end of the counter what buttons to push. It's just more efficient this way. Typically more accurate too.

Same thing with self-checkouts... I'm faster than most cashiers, so I value getting in and out as quickly as possible. (That's my discount.)
    1999 ZRX1100
    Few odds and ends:

Look at the universe. The stars keep their order. The trees and plants grow upwards without exception the waters flow. Be like this. -Lao Tzu

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by AL Terry View Post
    Agree

I worked for the chicken supplier for McDonald's that covered everything east of the Mississippi river, and work for the hamburger supplier for the southeast. There are not many suppliers that can provide the quality McDonald's demands. The hamburgers are 100% beef, nothing added, using only approved suppliers that go through a rigorous approval process. They have been antibiotic free on chickens for decades and raised in the most humane process there is. The business model for McD and Chic-Fil-A are very different, most McD owners have multiple stores and hire management, we all know that most hired management will not have the same concern about customer service that the owner has. The Chic-Fil-A model allows the owner/operator one store and expect them to be hands on, a few have two stores.
    what was your job....?
    its interesting...
    what other tidbits do U have...

there filet fish processed on floating fishing factory....history channel..

I used to be....

Quote Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
    what was your job....?
    its interesting...
    what other tidbits do U have...

there filet fish processed on floating fishing factory....history channel..
    Accounting

They catch & process the fish on the boat, frozen into blocks of a specific size (don't remember that though), moved to a cold storage facility in the continental US, within the cold storage there's a processing plant. They take the frozen block, slice into the correct thickness, batter/bread and freeze. All while the filet is still frozen. Nearly half of the annual fish volume is sold during Lent. Was also involved with one of the fish processing plants.

If you consider a Happy Meal a toy sale they are the largest toy store in the world.

There quality standards are some of the most stringent in the food industry. Being as large as they are and the dislike many have for them they will not take a chance on food safety, can't afford any bad publicity. Shouldn't come as a surprise, beef sales are sliding and poultry is growing.

Bad decisions will be dealt with swiftly, some may remember decades ago they switched the ketchup recipe, didn't end well for a few. The Coke products from McD are different, instead of the syrup coming in a bag in a box it's in a stainless container, all soda delivery lines are chilled, water is highly filtered (quality of municipal water varies), their straws are larger than typical straws so you get more flavor (and soda). Many companies that started with Ray Kroc are still suppliers today, although today's management is straying away from the legacy relationships.

beermonger

Itís called fast food because of how fast it exits the digestive system, it takes less time to process , itís already crap!
    OBJECTS IN MIRROR
    NO LONGER MATTER

ZRXOA member #1964

BadAss Hooligan

After reading this I'm going out to get a Big Mac
    Member # 9082

2001 ZRX1200

My past Street Bikes
    1975 KZ400
    1980 CB750F
    1983 CB1100F
    1984 GPZ1100
    2000 ZRX1100

TMZ of the ZRXOA

We're going to Subway for lunch tomorrow.

And, we got coupons.

BadAss Hooligan

I installed/ repaired point of sale equipment for fast food from 88 to 98. My company sold them the first system geared towards them. They signed no contracts on the software and promptly gave it to Panasonic to use. They didn't allow us to put our logo in customer sight or American made stickers. Those river gravel waste cans outside were made by a mother/daughter owned company, mom had the biggest diamond ring I've ever seen in person.

BadAss Hooligan

Fast food, there's hoards of Big butts & bellies thriving on it. Ain't no kiosk going to stop 'em now.

Mod/Admin

I ran into the " kiosk" concept on the way to Mid Ohio. We all decided to try another restaurant .
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me Ö It's time for patriots everywhere to rally together again and take back America. - Chuck Norris

DonBob Hooligan

They just knocked down a profitable McDonalds in the adjacent town, to make a new kiosk Mickey D's.

I haven't eaten fast food in YEARS, yet the place is still crowded, creating traffic issues.

Pay people more than their employment's worth, and you will see more of this.

My local grocery store just let three high functioning Autistic kids go.

Good kids, always joked with them, hard workers.

The store had enough money to replace them with a robot.

I wonder how those sweet kids are doing.

https://www.app.com/story/money/busi...ts/1409242001/
    2002 Gasta Glas Ri,
    The 2007 Kaws On The Farm, Hooligan's Choice Award!
    The March 2011 Bike Of The Month!
    The 2011 ZRXOA Bike Of The Year!
    "THE FASTEST REX IN PLATTEKILL, NEW YORK!"
    2005 Raon Ri Masc
    The October 2014, Bike Of The Month
    The August 2018, Bike Of The Month!

The 2018 ZRXOA Bike Of The Year!
    "THE FASTEST REX IN PLATTEKILL, NEW YORK!"

1999 "The Lone Warrior" ZRX1100R
    1996 Giggle Bike,
    1988 Nekid Gixxer,
    1979 Strumpet