+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

I think I probably need counseling - looking for a bike again: 1986 KLR600

IDK if it is midlife crisis or a brain parasite but I am looking for a bike again.

This time I am thinking of a big single. I always liked the big enduros of the 80s like the Honda XL or the Yammie XT.
    Being a Kawi nut of course I am considering the KLR600 and I found a promising looking example in Hamburg.

I told my wife "It would be crazy to get yet another one, wouldn't it?" and she goes "Why? You work hard and deserve it if it makes you happy."

So she is no help in protecting me from myself.

Long story short, I will probably take a closer look at this one on the weekend and I almost hope that I will find something that is not right...

It is a 1986 KLR600E (with kick- and E-starter) with 40,000km on the clock. He wants to reduce the number of bikes he has and is asking 1,000EUR.
    He refers to it as an "old reliable lady" with no imminent issues.
    Name:  IMG_5042.PNG
Views: 248
Size:  1.63 MB
    Name:  IMG_5043.PNG
Views: 245
Size:  1.76 MB

I am probably lost already...
    Godspeed Jaco. You're missed down here mate.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

The Mod Father

Re: I think I probably need counseling - looking for a bike again: 1986 KLR600

Another project........?? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me..

I am never as happy as when I have a bike in pieces going over every single little bit.

I see you are developing the same affliction....(our wives realise there is no cure so they smile and accept what we have become..)

Anyway its better than wandering the streets or shopping malls aimlessly....(I have seen those poor guys and it ain't a pretty sight.!)..
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan

It is mid life crisis, it is normal, healthy even. That KLR looks nice and clean with a reasonable mileage, Iíd be all over it.

I was exactly the same, loving the big mono cylinder of the 80ís I dreamt of as a teenager. I even had an XL 600 R for a short while in 1991, while living in Greece.

So a few years ago I looked around, first bought an old XL 500

Then felt it was great looking and retro but seriously under powered with weak drum brakes, so I sold it for a profit and ended up buying not one but two XT 600 E which I restored. The second one was meant for parts but was complete and almost functional so I couldnít decently cannibalise it for parts.

But like Brian says, the fun is maybe in tinkering with them. I only drove them for 5000 km before selling them again after a couple of years. And I bought this instead, serious power, brakes and chassis.

The Mod Father

Yes when I finish a project...,or even approach finishing it I kinda slow down and want to to last a bit longer

It is like the adventure has came to an end and you have reached your destination.....

A "carry over" from my model making period I guess...and I am already planning my next "adventure"....

That is where I can express my creativity..

BG.

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan

Ok, so you're not being helpful in stopping me either but what did I expect?

But it gives a warm, fuzzy feeling not to be alone with this disease. Thanks for your thoughts so far.

This time I am looking for a basis that is better than with the Gipsy and would not require a complete disassembly to achieve a decent result.

I already did some research on known weaknesses to check (weak balancer chain tensioner "doohickey" and KCAR decompression mechanism, timing chain tensioner, oil consumption due to ovaled barrel) and will not show up unprepared.
    It is currently restricted to 27HP (unresctricted 42HP) but that's an easy fix.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

President of the ZRXOA

You can't have just one bike!

Go for it
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

I used to be....

I'm a big fan of the old KLR, we have had a few through the years. Still have one, green one below, the solid black went to a guy that was headed for South America on the Pan American highway. Inexpensive bikes with lots of parts available, slow, with a few tweaks they can be an good bike for everyday life, rode it to work this morning.

But the Honda is more fun

avtech3d

You need something to ride along with the kid.

Sorry, but can't think of a reason not to get another bike.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

Hooligan

KLR650 with adventure riding gear... boxes, lights, GPS, and helmet comms.... hell yeah man. Get out with some buddies and do some trail riding/camping.
    1999 ZRX1100
    Few odds and ends:

Look at the universe. The stars keep their order. The trees and plants grow upwards without exception the waters flow. Be like this. -Lao Tzu

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I already downloaded a workshop manual.

BadAss Hooligan

a 33 year old wiring harness has its own gremlins,
    it would be great close to home, for a few hours
    I would not venture days away on it.
    If you want something you never had,
    You have to do something you've never done.

BadAss Hooligan

I'll keep an eye on this

perfect number of bikes is N+1

N being the number you currently have. Basic math there

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2U View Post
    a 33 year old wiring harness has its own gremlins,
    it would be great close to home, for a few hours
    I would not venture days away on it.
    Good point with the harness. I've been lucky with the 33 year old on the KMX and the 32 year old on the GPz but that does not necessarily have to be with all old Kawis.
    I'll have an eye on that on Friday when I kick its tires.

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    I'll keep an eye on this

perfect number of bikes is N+1

N being the number you currently have. Basic math there
    I've never been good at math but that I can understand.

BadAss Hooligan

We all knew what would happen, right?

I was there today with my wife. Seller is a really nice guy. We pushed the Red Thumper out of his garage and she looks just as good as on the pics he offered her with.
    Then I started her and was sold. This baby sounds badass.

Since it has no plate I could only run her up and down his street shortly but that was enough to convince me fully. The wife could not stop grinning too - she loves that sound of the big single fourstroke.

The tip with the harness was justified. The ignition had some contact issues but I bet I will sort that out.

Apart from that she starts fine and the engine sounds clean without alarming noises.

She has her patina but for a 33 year old bike she is in great condition and none of the POs messed up with her original design. She apparently has been taken care of and one of the POs even fitted an oil temp gauge which is recommended especially for these models since they are a bit delicate with their oil.

Engine, cooling system and brake are not leaking and look good.

Due to the electric gremlin I got her for only 850EUR which is basically a steal. I found none nearly as tidy and original for less than 1500EUR.

I will only tidy her up a bit but not nearly as thoroughly as the Gipsy. The KLR will be cleaned, tidied up and well taken care of but she will still be a bike for general use (incl. some playing in the dirt).

I am going to pick her up tomorrow and take some better pics when she's home with her sisters.

I'm happy.

Name:  IMG_5049.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  1.44 MB
    Name:  IMG_5048.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  1.48 MB
    Name:  IMG_5047.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  1.52 MB
    Name:  IMG_5050.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  1.30 MB

I used to be....

Great bikes, I love the simplicity

Hooligan

Nice one Heino, looks very good for 30+ years.
    Have loads fun on that thing, and there's only one carb to worry about!
    2006 ZRX 1200R in proper flat lime green.
    1982 Z400J3 - the project..

BadAss Hooligan

Your wife is a very smart lady... if she keeps you happy in bike (S) then that keeps you out of the bars and chasing "split tails" those in the long run bring you both a lot of grief

I guess my wife and yours must think alike... in the last 60 days I have purchased 2 Kawi 400 triples

That is one very nice bike... super clean for a 30 plus year old endure bike. Those big singles shake the ground and sound really bad... bad being good!

Not much to do with that one... but ride

Good score... enjoy and be safe!

Wayne

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ZRX View Post
    We all knew what would happen, right?

I will only tidy her up a bit but not nearly as thoroughly as the Gipsy.

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by AL Terry View Post

Great bikes, I love the simplicity
    Yeah, me too. I've always wanted one and finally got it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackman View Post
    Nice one Heino, looks very good for 30+ years.
    Have loads fun on that thing, and there's only one carb to worry about!
    Right Davy. I am already afraid of messing that one up too.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA-ZRX View Post
    Your wife is a very smart lady... if she keeps you happy in bike (S) then that keeps you out of the bars and chasing "split tails" those in the long run bring you both a lot of grief

I guess my wife and yours must think alike... in the last 60 days I have purchased 2 Kawi 400 triples

That is one very nice bike... super clean for a 30 plus year old endure bike. Those big singles shake the ground and sound really bad... bad being good!

Not much to do with that one... but ride

Good score... enjoy and be safe!

Wayne
    Thanks Wayne. That is exactly the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
    Honestly. Just a little cleaning and touch up. I swear. I can resist.

BTW, on the second pic you can see my dreaded "negotiating prices" face. I hard a hard time not to burst out in joy over that thing.

Edit: I just noticed that my wife took the pics vertically, so they probably all show on the side for you - sorry guys. Better ones tomorrow.

Hooligan

I think my wife and your wife would get along great . Congrats on the new ride .

BadAss Hooligan

So I picked up the Red Thumper on Friday and started to clean her up on the weekend.
    Name:  IMG_5054.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  2.69 MB
    Name:  IMG_5053.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  2.94 MB
    Name:  IMG_5060.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  2.85 MB
    Name:  IMG_5061.JPG
Size:  2.39 MB
    Name:  IMG_5062.JPG
Size:  2.52 MB

There are some minor things to fix but the protective touch ups I found on several spots show that this bike was taken care of.
    Name:  IMG_5057.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  2.05 MB
    Name:  IMG_5058.JPG
Size:  1.40 MB
    Name:  IMG_5059.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  1.19 MB

The fork lowers were corroded quite badly but some scotch brite, steel wool, and Mothers (applied with a good portion of elbow wax) helped with that (left side done, right side awaiting treatment):
    Name:  IMG_5063.JPG
Size:  2.15 MB

With the vehicle papers I also got some bills and vehicle inspection reports. 10,000kms (3 years) ago among other things the forks, brakes, and the chain kit were done by a repair shop. This is another plus in my book.

With the old fuel (has not been running for months) and carbs probably clogged it is not running as it could right now but it starts right away and when fully warmed up it accepts throttle already better than in this short clip.
    https://youtu.be/NNLrZyGEUMc

Laymanís analysis without a real clue:
    From the drop in revs on blipping the cold engine I have the feeling that she is running rich. I tried to run her with the petcock OFF and had the feeling that she ran better when the fuel flow started to starve which supports my thinking. It gets better the hotter she gets.

I filled a carb cleaner into the tank and cleaned the air filter and with these simple remedies already I had the feeling that the next cold start went better. I will keep an eye on this.

Of course I will do a regular maintenance with oil change etc. next.

I am so happy that I convinced myself that getting another Kawi is not a sign of mental decay but a reasonable necessity.
    I still cannot believe the great condition that this bike is in, considering her age and the money I got it for.

Hooligan

I am so happy that I convinced myself that getting another Kawi is not a sign of mental decay but a reasonable necessity.
    I've had it with these damn liberal types who will buy and ride any make of bikes, and refuse to stick to the one true path of the big K.
    Congrats on being loyal to the cause Heino!
    Time for my medication....
    2006 ZRX 1200R in proper flat lime green.
    1982 Z400J3 - the project..

BadAss Hooligan

BadAss Hooligan

congrats! Nice looking bike

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by kwackman View Post
    I've had it with these damn liberal types who will buy and ride any make of bikes, and refuse to stick to the one true path of the big K.
    Congrats on being loyal to the cause Heino!
    Time for my medication....
    ...."the one true path".....
    ..you Will ride Only Kawasaki...
    Name:  escaping-cult.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  48.6 KB

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan

Those eyes should be green.

I registered the Gipsy and the Red Thumper at the local DMV today and took the Thumper out for a first ride. She runs generally great, pulls strong and the sound is brutal.

The only thing is that when I open the throttle wider she occasionally starves on fuel and dies. After a moment I can start her again and she fires up right away.
    I am thinking that some dirt, water or residues might be briefly clogging the main jet when I open her up. Idle and low end are not affected.
    She has quite some popping on decel which indicates a lean condition if I remember right.

I poured carbs cleaner in the tank and I have the feeling it is getting better. In worst case I will have to take a closer look and pull the carbs but the carbs cleaner has been in now for only 60kms so I will give that a little longer.

Coffee break at the vintage gas station. Forks are brushed finish now BTW.
    Name:  C6381E00-FBF5-42CE-AAE1-D5B1EC606804.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  1.87 MB
    Name:  5D484C66-8A1C-464B-901E-A3246D61746D.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  1.35 MB
    Name:  D1933430-E694-4077-83D5-C6070D867AE1.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  3.18 MB

Spotted one of her younger sisters today but I like my 86 model better.
    Name:  D5FE58D7-7D15-4195-8C82-AB4187EF2C9A.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  2.92 MB

Garage is slowly getting a bit packed.
    Name:  B6047CB5-1F28-48F5-BF0B-09082A592CA3.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  2.03 MB

President of the ZRXOA

You have a nice stable going there Heino.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks Arash. I guess I need a hangar.

President of the ZRXOA

Now you're talking!!!

The Mod Father

Thanks Arash. I guess I need a hangar.
    Easily sorted......(and not too expensive either.. )
    Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 31
Size:  3.7 KB

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

August 2019 BOTM..