+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BadAss Hooligan

Re: I think I probably need counseling - looking for a bike again: 1986 KLR600

I drained the coffee latte that the PO apparently used as a coolant today.
    Name:  IMG_5150.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  1.01 MB

I flushed eight times already and slowly the water gets almost clear. I will continue tomorrow.
    Now the wife and I will go out on a steak diner date.
    Godspeed Jaco. You're missed down here mate.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ZRX View Post
    I drained the coffee latte that the PO apparently used as a coolant today.

I flushed eight times already and slowly the water gets almost clear....
    That looks horrible Heino.!!

Another bike getting "rescued"...
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan

I had a white one new in the day and sold it in 1989 and wish I would of kept it. The bike was jetted with a K&N in air box plus a Supertrap slip on and ran like a much stronger than 600 machine. I owner a 2003 KLR650 that was set up the same but ran way less stronger. The 600 bikes were very good running bikes. Good luck and great choice. I found one for sale but the price was more than I was willing to give.

BadAss Hooligan

No such thing as too many motorcycles...not enough room, yup, too many bikes, nope

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
    That looks horrible Heino.!!

Another bike getting "rescued"...
    The basis to work on is way better than it was with the Gipsy, Brian. Mainly it's catching up with some maintenance neglects and fighting some rusty brackets, frame joints, paint chips, and such over winter. Also the wire harness will need some love, but it will be no complete restore like your epic works my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rex II View Post
    I had a white one new in the day and sold it in 1989 and wish I would of kept it. The bike was jetted with a K&N in air box plus a Supertrap slip on and ran like a much stronger than 600 machine. I owner a 2003 KLR650 that was set up the same but ran way less stronger. The 600 bikes were very good running bikes. Good luck and great choice. I found one for sale but the price was more than I was willing to give.
    It does run very strong. It is kind of a Frankenstein engine though. The crankcase is the original 600 but someone mounted the 650 engine covers and the barrel and head of the 650. maybe there was an issue with the original piston and barrel and somebody took the chance to upgrade on displacement like I did with my Rex and the 1200 engine.
    The big KLRs are notorious for their oil consumption due to ovaled barrels but I have ridden the Thumper for a couple hundred kms now and noticed only minor consumption, so that is on the plus side too.
    I am still more than happy with my spontaneous decision to pull the trigger on that bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXFriedrich View Post
    No such thing as too many motorcycles...not enough room, yup, too many bikes, nope
    The garage directly facing mine is for rent right now.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXFriedrich View Post
    You bet. I just added an SRT8 to the already cramped garage space. No good meals in my future for latest purchase!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ZRX View Post
    The basis to work on is way better than it was with the Gipsy, Brian. Mainly it's catching up with some maintenance neglects and fighting some rusty brackets, frame joints, paint chips, and such over winter. Also the wire harness will need some love, but it will be no complete restore like your epic works my friend.

It does run very strong. It is kind of a Frankenstein engine though. The crankcase is the original 600 but someone mounted the 650 engine covers and the barrel and head of the 650. maybe there was an issue with the original piston and barrel and somebody took the chance to upgrade on displacement like I did with my Rex and the 1200 engine.
    The big KLRs are notorious for their oil consumption due to ovaled barrels but I have ridden the Thumper for a couple hundred kms now and noticed only minor consumption, so that is on the plus side too.
    I am still more than happy with my spontaneous decision to pull the trigger on that bike.

The garage directly facing mine is for rent right now.
    The 600 I had would stand up on the rear wheel in first three gears with ease. Looking back I made a terrible mistake selling it.

BadAss Hooligan

I mounted the LeoVince X3 today.
    Name:  16C5CEA9-58AB-4192-9655-EB3580C99A68.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  1.44 MB
    Name:  6591F5A3-CDE2-4ED5-A7FF-8B397ED62134.jpeg
Size:  1.65 MB
    Name:  6793BED6-18C7-45D4-8E6F-8C99D62C0248.jpeg
Size:  1.58 MB
    Since the attaching parts were designed for the 650C model with a different tail section I had to become a little creative on the rear mounting where the provided spacer was a tad too long.
    Name:  7BFC6681-040E-4EBA-850E-EB119DD562F3.jpeg
Size:  1.26 MB

I also made a comparison vid with the sound of the original vs. the Leo.
    My boss says he actually likes the original better because you hear each knock of the piston.
    I prefer the deeper growl of the Leo and I do not miss the tweeting. Decide for yourself.

President of the ZRXOA

Definitely like the Leo better than stock sound.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s