+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

Anyone using the newer "ceramic" SIO2 and or TIO2 spray on paint coatings?

I'm thinking about trying one of these out. I'm finding myself caught in rain often and anything that would make cleaning up after that easier I'm all for! Has anyone used any of the consumer level spray on ceramic coatings? Mothers CMX for example?
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Anyone using the newer "ceramic" SIO2 and or TIO2 spray on paint coatings?

I tried the Meguirs , beads up nicely so far, only been on 2 weeks will see how it holds up in this scorching sun.

I tried the Mother's CMX. Clay bar'd the whole bike and did 1 coat Saturday and a 2nd coat Sunday. Looks awesome and the paint is so slick if you tried to stand on it I think you'd slide right off. Will have to see how the next rainy ride goes.

I took this pic from about 10 feet away in the shade and you can see my reflection in the paint. In person it looks like there's a layer of glass over the paint.

Name:  E11CEB30-9B7E-4826-ADA4-FEDB9123FE02.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  2.70 MB

Name:  99809D2A-3E01-4BA6-A174-5C13B957B3DF.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  87.0 KB
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent View Post
    I tried the Mother's CMX. Clay bar'd the whole bike and did 1 coat Saturday and a 2nd coat Sunday. Looks awesome and the paint is so slick if you tried to stand on it I think you'd slide right off. Will have to see how the next rainy ride goes.

I took this pic from about 10 feet away in the shade and you can see my reflection in the paint. In person it looks like there's a layer of glass over the paint.

Attachment 314859

Attachment 314860
    Well that looks great..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

Ok, this stuff is AWESOME!!! I've cleaned it twice now - first was just bugs, my helmet had about 10 times the bugs on it that the bike did (they mostly slid right off). I literally blew on some of the bugs and they fell off. I gave a quick squirt of Mothers detailer and literally one wipe and all the bugs were gone on the front end!!

Yesterday I got caught in a rain storm. The paint looked spectacular after the rain (couldn't tell it wasn't just washed). The pipes, swingarm, under the rear fender, etc had some dirt left on them. I cleaned the entire bike (like every nook and cranny that's visible without taking the fairings off) in about 1/4 of the time that a quick cleanup took before. I'm sold on it!
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

President of the ZRXOA

Is this the stuff Steve?

Mothers 01024 CMX Ceramic Spray Coating

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K46RD7Y..._30PmDb55ZHS49
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Yep, and you'll want a pack of microfiber applicators too, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KWMWX2S...pi_i_q9PmDbP7J

It seems a little goes a long way but at first you have to use more. I went through 5 of them doing the two coats. On of those I dropped on the ground. I can hardly tell that I used any out of the bottle.

You want your paint right first because your sealing that sucker up and are gonna have to live with it for a while lol.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

President of the ZRXOA

Thanks for all the info

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Oh yeah, isopropyl alcohol (you hear it called IPA) too. You want to strip all the waxes, soaps, etc before you put it on. I started with a clean bike of course, clay bar (i used mothers detailer), then wiped everything down with the alcohol. I don't have to bother with polishing because the bikes practically brand new but this is where I'd polish, then do the cmx, wait 24 hrs and do it again (resist the urge to ride it ). You don't have to do a second coat but after all the prep work throwing another coat on is easy. Applying the cmx is totality the easiest part of the whole thing. Can't wait to read your reaction.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

President of the ZRXOA

I'll let ya know what happens. My plastics and tank are virtually new so the prep shouldn't be too bad.

So, 1 week before putting the bike away I rode to Kentucky and back and the bike was covered in bugs. I should have taken video of it (I'll remember next time). The coating has been on for 4 months and all I did was spray detailer on it, wait a couple minutes and all of the bugs literally just wiped off. Really amazing stuff. I've put the bike away for the winter and right before I bring it out in spring I'll do it again and see what it's like through a full season but even if I had to redo it every 4 months I'd be happy. I'm a happy camper.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229