+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Question about out-of-state registrations...

I very recently bought a brand new 2003 KLX400R (dirt bike) from the original owner. It has a Baja Designs street-legal kit installed, along with DOT approved tires. Problem is that he never registered it, because he never rode it. I did have him write and notarize an affidavit regarding ownership, etc... I also paid for a VIN verification to be done. There are several issues here...

1.) He had every single piece of paperwork for this bike, but the MCO from Kawasaki. This includes the original bill of sale from the Kawi dealer, warranty paperwork, and even the original Kawasaki owner's ID/warranty card (all in his name).
    2.) He went to another Kawi dealer, paid for a duplicate MCO, and got a letter back from Kawi stating that they only issue them back to the original selling dealer.
    3.) The original selling dealer is out of business.
    4.) Connecticut is one of the strictest DMV's in the country already. They would have made me jump through a dozen hoops to get it registered in the first place (because it's a dirt bike converted to a street bike), but not a chance now without the MCO.
    5.) When getting it insured, my agent said the VIN comes up as a Suzuki dirt bike. Suzuki actually made these back then and Kawi rebadged them as their own (when they had a joint venture going) {DR-Z400/KLX400}.

So, my question is this... Does anyone have/know of a state DMV that is much more lax in their approach to things?

I registered my "gray-market" Yamaha RZV500R in Maine through the mail!!! Then, a year or so later, (with a clean Maine title for road use), I registered it in CT with no issues. But, that was like 20 years ago.

I don't mind hauling the bike up to 150 miles or so, (for an inspection or VIN verification), but would really prefer mail order. Anyone? Anyone?
    Last edited by the-atc-kid; 09-11-2019 at 06:21 AM.

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Question about out-of-state registrations...

p.s. I'm not trying to do anything sneaky here. Actually, quite the opposite. I have enough bikes that I could easily just throw a plate on from another Kawasaki and ride (it is insured). I am the legal and legitimate owner of this bike and want to get it properly registered...

It's just that CT DMV is such ball busters.

2009 Hooligan of the year

Have you spoken to the DMV about your situation? It kind of sounds like you haven't. Even though they're ballbusters, they may actually be able to help. Worth asking at least.

I used to be....

Check the web, there are services available that will title/tag in a lenient state which you have to keep for a period of time, perhaps a year.

https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/how-t...e-street-legal

BadAss Hooligan

Definitely want to talk to my DMV first, but there is no real "questions desk". Therefore, I'm committing a minimum of three hours. Worth the trip if I can get this done though. I will bring every bit of paperwork with me just in case.

If that doesn't work, the guys from Dirt Legal look like just the ticket. Has anyone used them? Asking for a copy of my driver's license and SS card kinda scares me.

Thanks for the tips guys! Keep 'em coming...

Don't drive down there. Call. All you're trying to get answer to is how to register a bike without an MCO.

Hooligan

In Colorado, you purchase and OHV for the bike first, once you get the card & stickers in the mail, you can go to the DMV and apply for a OHV Title. Once you have the title it needs to have a vehicle vin Verification and a street legal inspection by the State Patrol. Once all thats been signed off, bring all that paperwork and proof of insurance and you can now get a plate at the DMV...Thats Colorado's way, I've done 4 times now

I'm finding that in your case Kawasaki USA should be able to provide you a replacement MCO. If you have not already done so, call Kawasaki USA customer service and give that a go.

BadAss Hooligan

Here in Ohio I changed a off road title to a street title .

I found a change of title form online, printed it off and had my signature notarized .

Went to the BMV and showed them the form . BAM $7.50 later walked out with a street title for a CRF100.

No inspection .

easy-peasy
    01 ZRX 1200 green
    00 ZRX 1100 black
    12 C14 connie red
    2003 KLX 400
    2004 CRF100
    2008 CRF100
    2016 300 Ninja
    2017 Z125 Pro
    " Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars"

" That which you manifest is before you " Enzo

ZRXOA# 8746

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    Here in Ohio I changed a off road title to a street title .

I found a change of title form online, printed it off and had my signature notarized .

Went to the BMV and showed them the form . BAM $7.50 later walked out with a street title for a CRF100.

No inspection .

easy-peasy
    This is CT, you need you get a Vin verification (Because it came from out of State) a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership and/or Bill of Sale and have the CO which can't say "Not for Highway Use" . If it does you need to trailer it down to only one of a couple of places and get it inspected to see if it's street legal .

Hooligan

Was this bought in CT or out of State? If in CT what dealer?

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    This is CT, you need you get a Vin verification (Because it came from out of State) a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership and/or Bill of Sale and have the CO which can't say "Not for Highway Use" . If it does you need to trailer it down to only one of a couple of places and get it inspected to see if it's street legal .
    WOW , that is just crazy .

I wonder if the OP can have someone in another state get a title switched over then transfer it back to him ?????
    01 ZRX 1200 green
    00 ZRX 1100 black
    12 C14 connie red
    2003 KLX 400
    2004 CRF100
    2008 CRF100
    2016 300 Ninja
    2017 Z125 Pro
    " Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars"

" That which you manifest is before you " Enzo

ZRXOA# 8746

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    WOW , that is just crazy .
    Don't forget this is the state you go to DMV and get to stand in line to get a ticket to stand in line.

President of the ZRXOA

Question about out-of-state registrations...

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Don't forget this is the state you go to DMV and get to stand in line to get a ticket to stand in line.
    Same thing here in CA!! LOL
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

The bike was bought new at Midtown Kawasaki in Rocky hill, CT. The have been out of business for quite a while now. I had the original owner go down to another Kawi dealer in CT and apply for a duplicate MCO. Momma Kaw responded back a few days later stating that they only re-issue MCO's to the original selling dealer. Again, it was originally a dirt-only machine, but if I had the MCO in hand, CT DMV does allow for you to make it street legal.... (once you've jumped through all 100 of the required hoops).
    I will try to call Kawi customer service. I have bought over a dozen new Kawi's over the years, so maybe they'll have mercy on me.
    I appreciate the tip about calling the CT DMV, instead of showing up in person, but that's just not how our DMV works. If they answered the phone (which they almost never do), they try to get rid of you as soon as possible, providing as little information as possible. When they think you've wasted their time enough, they just say, "You'll need to come down to one of our DMV locations throughout the state. Goodbye." Click. Dial tone.

Hooligan

I worked at midtown for 10 years at night to help Curt and Jan out during the time the bike was purchased. I know they kept copies of all CO's. They live out of State but I'll give them a call and see if any of thier paperwork was retained.

BadAss Hooligan

There are ways to do it in NH if you know someone who lives there AND has the ability to get the VIN verification done (signed for) without seeing the bike.

I have done a bunch of them for friends, I have someone who will sign off on the VIN verification and I register them, get the title, then sell the bike back to the real owner.

The problem is I am out of here for Florida in 3 days and I can't turn it that fast.
    ZRX 1200R 7/2003 -5/15/2015 (sold to a good home)

ZZR1200 April 2009 -September 2014 (dealer trade in)

2017 Concours 14 ( June 2018 -current)
    HD 2013 FLHTK Stage 4 ( Sept 2014-Current)
    HD 2003 FLHTCI cammed. closed loop FI, upgraded suspension ( Sept 2005 - current)

BadAss Hooligan

Neggy- for the winter, or just a vacation?

Let me see what happens with Kawi when I call them

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by the-atc-kid View Post
    Neggy- for the winter, or just a vacation?

Let me see what happens with Kawi when I call them
    Winter, but I am returning in November for a few days
    ZRX 1200R 7/2003 -5/15/2015 (sold to a good home)

ZZR1200 April 2009 -September 2014 (dealer trade in)

2017 Concours 14 ( June 2018 -current)
    HD 2013 FLHTK Stage 4 ( Sept 2014-Current)
    HD 2003 FLHTCI cammed. closed loop FI, upgraded suspension ( Sept 2005 - current)

President of the ZRXOA

DMV universally sucks, doesn't it?
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Well, I met with some Kawi reps during the AimExpo in Columbus, OH. They gave me the direct phone # to the guy I needed to speak to.... Unfortunately, when I called him, he told me I'm SOL. Unbelievable how they just left me high and dry after thoroughly explaining the situation AND having been a very loyal Kawasaki buyer for over 30 years!

That being said, I will try getting it registered over the winter with DirtLegal.com as listed above by Al Terry:
    Thanks for the help!

p.s. The pic doesn't do this bike justice. It's got 17 years worth of dust on it. The bike literally just sat in the corner of his enormous garage along with a bunch of other unused toys... snow blower, riding mower, etc...
    Once I give it a bath, it will sparkle!

Name:  klx400.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  231.1 KB
    Last edited by the-atc-kid; 10-31-2019 at 05:34 AM.

BadAss Hooligan

I'm hearing Vermont is now the place to go.
    I have a friend who owns a property in Maine that used to register non titled bikes there then transfer for a Mass title but Maine has tightened up.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    I'm hearing Vermont is now the place to go.
    I have a friend who owns a property in Maine that used to register non titled bikes there then transfer for a Mass title but Maine has tightened up.
    Don't know if that will work for him. It's over 299 cc's so it would still need to be titled and without the C.O. it still might be difficult.