+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Born In The USA

Re: GPz swing arm change

Pretty cool! Are those the stock, adjustable rear shocks?

My red one had S & W units that were total worn out, so I used the Fox units off of the blue one. I sent them to Fox to be rebuilt and set for my weight.

The forks on the red one didn't work either. I learned to be smooooth. I used the forks off the blue one, and tried different fork oils until it felt balanced. I think there is 15w in there now.

The carbs have felt lean for some time. I don't plan any mods for the bike. If I want to go fast, I have the ZX10.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan

Yes stock shocks . Had some aftermarket ones on there for a while . Found those stock ones on ebay years ago . Been trying to get everything back to stock . Bike had a hard life . I know everyone who owned it since new . The first owner crashed it then put it back together then sold it to my brother . My brother went into a wobble on the highway and crashed it . He fixed it and sold it to his friend when he bought his zx7 .

He crashed it doing a wheelie . I bought it and fixed it again . Then I let my son ride it . He rode it for 8 years or so and also crashed it doing a wheelie.
    Stays it went into a wobble when he set it down.
    He stopped riding it when he bought his zrx

So you see a trend here

So I fixed it again .

Ha Ha

Haven't rode it much in the last few years .

Need to go threw everything again and get it back in shape if I ever find the time .

Born In The USA

I am not a wheelie kind of guy. I have gotten used to the long, low, second gear power wheelies on the ZX10, but I don't try to wheelie any of my bikes. I think the rake angle might be more suited to cornering than stability. Mine will get a little wobble (if I let go of the bars) when it wants a front tire.

Maybe yours would like some new bearings. I put tapered bearings in the neck as the ball bearings were notchy. I use two pieces of waxed paper, and shoot a little spray cooking oil between them. With both feet on the ground, I ease the front wheel on to the smallish piece of waxed paper. If you are not straight up and down, it will try to shoot off to the side. The bigger the piece of paper, the farther it will go. It's like ice. With some weight forward, I turn the bars to feel for notches. Should be smooth. Before I changed the bearings, it had a big notch at the straight ahead position.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan

Good trick with the wax paper . Never heard that one before . I dont do wheelies either at least not on purpose. Im a scaredy cat to old .

Just need to go threw everything on mine . Been beat hard and put away wet . Still runs sweet though . Amazing what these bikes will take and you can still save them with mostly maintenance .

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by riturbo View Post
    Good trick with the wax paper . Never heard that one before . I dont do wheelies either at least not on purpose. Im a scaredy cat to old .

Just need to go threw everything on mine . Been beat hard and put away wet . Still runs sweet though . Amazing what these bikes will take and you can still save them with mostly maintenance .
    I was told how someone did it, and just used other stuff in a similar way. The guy I got the bike from said it was bullet proof. So far, so good.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550