+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Vette

BadAss Hooligan

New Vette

Didnt see it posted. Reveal starts at 57:00 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0AbsgvRwnU
    00 ZRX1100 (Black)
    85 ZL900 (Black)
    02 ZZR12 (Silver)
    ZRXOA Member #9387

Father Joe

Re: New Vette

Quote Originally Posted by eagles1539 View Post
    Didnt see it posted. Reveal starts at 57:00 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0AbsgvRwnU
    Design Dude ".....to make an exotic SUPERCAR version of the Corvette...." Well...............it does favor, oh, you know, about 6 different models of Ferrari.

But I'm all about it. I'm glad that they're taking a whole new line with the C8. Now let's see how it does around a known track with known 'Vette times.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

The mid engine Corvette was always Duntov's dream, and he still pursued it until he departed the planet in 1996.. Rumors of an unconventional Vette would circulate heavy, and concept cars would surface give or take every ten years.
    Technically, the previous generation was already a mid engined car, since the engine was behind the front axle qnd the driver. Like an AMG GT, the transmission/ axle were a single unit in the rear.

"Although the official explanation of the DNF was a failure of a rear suspension bushing after only 23 laps of racing, driver John Fitch’s feet were being cooked by the eight uninsulated exhaust pipes located in close proximity to the magnesium firewall and floor panels.

The inherent advantages of locating the engine near the middle of the car just ahead of the drive wheels were not lost on Arkus-Duntov. In the 1930s, he witnessed the mid-engine Auto Unions occasionally beat Mercedes-Benz racers with traditional powertrain layouts. Also, a mid-engine Cooper T43 driven by Jack Brabham showed promise at the 1957 Monaco Grand Prix."

BadAss Hooligan

Started to build mine (dreamer and all), although the configuration tool is backed up. Couldn't change anything but color. Suppose to start under 60000 or around it.

[URL="https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?carline=corvette&modelyear=2020&brand=chevrolet&language=en&country=US&channel=b2c"]https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?carline=corvette&modelyear=2020&brand=chevrolet&language=en&country=US&channel=b2c[/URL

Name:  Corvette Stingray 2020 (3).jpg
Views: 368
Size:  137.5 KB
    Last edited by eagles1539; 07-22-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    00 ZRX1100 (Black)
    85 ZL900 (Black)
    02 ZZR12 (Silver)
    ZRXOA Member #9387

The Doctor Is In
    About 90 miles north of where I was before & 15 minutes from the Kingdom of Kazmania, FL

I think it's fantastic. I expected starting prices in the low $100g's so for Chevy to drop this base at $60g's is, to me, unbelievable.

Can't wait to see some road tests.
    Lee
    "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."
    Rorschach

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Spectreman View Post
    I think it's fantastic. I expected starting prices in the low $100g's so for Chevy to drop this base at $60g's is, to me, unbelievable.

Can't wait to see some road tests.
    Lee

And some comparable track times.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

President of the ZRXOA

New Vette

Is it still a pushrod V8? If yes, that's AWESOME!!!

I'm digging this C8 a lot!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

At $60k that's incredible!! Working on that thing will be a bitch. I can see the possibility of one in my future. Imagine when they put the ZR1 engine in that chassis in a few years
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Is it still a pushrod V8? If yes, that's AWESOME!!!

I'm digging this C8 a lot!
    I'm sure it is a push rod motor. I have a close friend at church that is getting ready to retire and has worked at GM for more than 35 years and is in the suspension development. When I first got to know him I asked him when GM was going to get serious and drop the push rod motor for the Corvette and go to 32 valve overhead cam motor. Boy was I chastised. They are very proud of the horsepower, torque and reliability they have achieved with that motor design. Now that it is a mid engine design I'm sure it can't be long. I have seen quite few under wraps running around on the street since I live about 10 miles from the proving grounds.

BadAss Hooligan

I believe they discuss the motor setup here if you haven't seen it yet.

00 ZRX1100 (Black)
    85 ZL900 (Black)
    02 ZZR12 (Silver)
    ZRXOA Member #9387

Hooligan

It's a game changer

BadAss Hooligan

I fear the 60k vette will be like a stock HD....strippy

After Mom passed I test drove a 2013 vette ..it was base model, it felt unstable at 100mph i. A double lane change ..azz end felt like it wanted to break out

The unwanted base model may be 60k, but I would imagine something you want to spend money on will be 70k or more ...we shall see

Reflective Rider

That's the most beautiful car made in a long time. I would love to have one !

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

Played around on Chevy's designer. Here's how I'd order mine

Name:  Corvette Stingray 2020-2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  148.0 KB

Name:  Corvette Stingray 2020.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  161.0 KB

Name:  Corvette Stingray 2020-3.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  167.4 KB

Name:  Corvette Stingray 2020-4.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  142.5 KB
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

BadAss Hooligan

I believe I read it is the same 6.2L the Camaro SS has but they tweaked it for a few more ponnies and umph

at 60k it must be strippy and a possible buyers remorse imho

They announced there will be many models of it and of course the finest will be approx. $100k or more, as was reported before the jaw dropping 60k buy in entry level , a Z anything will be a bunch more $ from what I have been reading about them

no one wants the base Corvette from my experience test driving a base corvette - it has a nice look and good engine but it lacks what makes it wow - that makes it damn near necessary to go up the ladder to the Z level for 5-10k more than base model

Base model is for the look at me in a corvette so it seems .. to enjoy it, it takes a Z model at least unless they really did make them affordable for volume sales

- one article I read said Corvette may partner with Cadillac to offer a corvette escalade or ?? Corvette Cadillacs - they are thinking to spread the cost over many vehicles to offset the loss or small profit on the base vettes

It is a sexy beast but I do believe the 60k is Bait n Switch

President of the ZRXOA

New Vette

Not sure if this is still true, but years ago the majority of Corvette buyers are women, and the majority of cars sold were automatics. The base model will fulfill a lot of buyers missions.

Most buyers don't care about buying a Z06 that can perform at speed...they just want to look and sound cool from stop light to stop light next to other cars. I think this C8 in base model guide will certainly fit that bill nicely!

Doesn't get more American than that.

The more I look at it, the more I love the lines.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Actually there another big change, no more manual shift transmission on retail models, dual clutch 8 speed manual DCT, a 1st on a Corvette. Also 1st American muscle/sports car produced without a manual transmission option.
    Only posers(millenials) will buy the 60k model
    Obviously better than buying a 6 cylinder Camaro a proper American muscle car should have a V8 with pushrods !!, IMO

Orig. owner, 99 ZRX, 61k+
    ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Cam degree 105 int.,107 exh.
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.
    Ohlins RS, Race tech fork
    Fork brace+Steering damper

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.

" WHEN YOU OWN A CHINESE SCOOTER, ALL CHINESE SPARE PARTS ARE OEM QUALITY "

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXFriedrich View Post
    I fear the 60k vette will be like a stock HD....strippy

After Mom passed I test drove a 2013 vette ..it was base model, it felt unstable at 100mph i. A double lane change ..azz end felt like it wanted to break out

The unwanted base model may be 60k, but I would imagine something you want to spend money on will be 70k or more ...we shall see
    You were fine. I've seen base Vettes at track days,they hold their own against many more expensive cars.

BadAss Hooligan

Some good info here: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/18/...tte-c8-reveal/

- As stated, NO Manual trans, DCT auto.
    - Engine is a variant of the current C7 LT1 engine as a dry sump.

In addition, friend of a friend supposedly in the know (GM employee) stated that in 1-2 years will see a twin turbo variant that will be the ZR1 with 4 digit power numbers.

So far a fan of the technology, but not of the look....

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

Cape Breton Barbarian

Visually it is one tall, cold drink of water, that is to say it is exquisite...

GM is mighty proud of the power plant and tranny, and rightly so. A normally aspirated super car, what a concept... love it!

Grand Slam!!!!!

Hooligan

Ferrari called and wants their styling back.
    "If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'till you do suc-ceed" One of The Three Stooges

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx_mattboy View Post
    Ferrari called and wants their styling back.
    So evidently a used Ferrari 458 cost $60k.....

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by eddy21 View Post
    You were fine. I've seen base Vettes at track days,they hold their own against many more expensive cars.
    I was fine at that speed but it was base model, I don't think I woulda been fine too much faster , but cars are not bikes, they float in lane changes a bit
    - the next model above that has better suspension from what I have read and they were approx. $5k more - why bother with a base model ?

… I coulda bought it and upgraded it ...guy was selling reasonable due to whisky bumps on both bumpers/cracked paint and the targa top has been placed against rear pillar while opening hatch to set it down, so the paint had a nice little counter of the number of times the top has been off chipped into the paint - maybe it was the best deal because of low buy in and make it nice over time ..

but the weird thing I couldn't get past was location of the shifter

- it was at an angle of 30-40 degrees slanted off center toward the driver - which was the 1st time I saw that in anything and it is a narrow gate shifter with a medium throw - too ez to go from 2nd to 5th or 1st - but the clutch was nice & it was good enough visibility

New vette is almost sold out I read on the google today - people must like it, as I do from what I have seen and read - it seems to be a collectible in 30 -40 yrs !

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

I would say, "All that and still a pushrod motor", but I have a version of that motor in my sedan and it's a beast!

That being said, a high RPM OHC 4V motor would be pretty cool for a change. I don't think the Corvette has had one since the limited run LT-5 back in the 90's
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    I would say, "All that and still a pushrod motor", but I have a version of that motor in my sedan and it's a beast!

That being said, a high RPM OHC 4V motor would be pretty cool for a change. I don't think the Corvette has had one since the limited run LT-5 back in the 90's
    Is really more than "All that and still a pushrod motor" is another way to say american muscle car, the LT5 was really kinda a big change for the Corvette faithfull, had foreign engineering and assembled by some boat guys, was not an in house product

kinda like when Harley D put a not so great German engine in the VROD

Some interesting read on LT5 http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ould-have-been

ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.

Color Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Allen#212 View Post
    Is really more than "All that and still a pushrod motor" is another way to say american muscle car, the LT5 was really kinda a big change for the Corvette faithfull, had foreign engineering and assembled by some boat guys, was not an in house product

Some interesting read on LT5 http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ould-have-been
    Or when Toyota puts a body/interior on BMW drivetrain/chassis and calls it a Supra.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    Or when Toyota puts a body/interior on BMW drivetrain/chassis and calls it a Supra.

TG
    Ditto, what a let down after waiting 17 years

Originality was a great concept, replaced by outsourcing to the lowest bidder, Brand Loyalty is a mixed bag, you really don't know where stuff is made, my old Dakota PU has a Daimler/Mercedes engine and " Made in Mexico" stickers on it !!

ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.

BadAss Hooligan

Re: New Vette - Almost Sold Out???

Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Allen#212 View Post

You do know I drive a car with a 630hp LSA daily right?

I'd just like to see what they could do with 4v heads

(and yes I am aware the LT5 was a clusterfuck, but that doesn't mean it can't be done right)
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    You do know I drive a car with a 630hp LSA daily right?

I'd just like to see what they could do with 4v heads

(and yes I am aware the LT5 was a clusterfuck, but that doesn't mean it can't be done right)
    I am not so sure the LT5 was correctly labeled as a “ClusterFxxx”. I also do not support that the VRod engine was in that same category. LT5 was and still is a fantastic engine. The price tag for the ZR1 ‘Vette back in the day limited its success. It was a massive technology change.

As far as the VRod, it too failed due to majority of the HD buying public “not getting it” when it came to smooth, liquid cooled power. It was not a HD in their eyes. Those who would sling a leg over one, were swayed by non-HD options for less money.

Just my .02

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400