+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CA insurance

Hooligan

CA insurance

Who do you Cali types get insurance through?

MD was $170, Cali quotes are ranging from $500-1000.

(And I was starting to really like it here!)

Devils’ Advocate

Re: CA insurance

Be careful, getting insurance quotes can ruin your credit rating...really.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Twinsrule View Post
    Who do you Cali types get insurance through?

MD was $170, Cali quotes are ranging from $500-1000.

(And I was starting to really like it here!)
    That's only the beginning... have you checked out housing gas you pay for that sunshine year around

Wayne

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Be careful, getting insurance quotes can ruin your credit rating...really.

Not trying to be contrary, but I check insurance rates about every two years or so, and have had, for a very, very long time. Never noticed a dip in my credit rating.

I check my credit rating about every two weeks if not sooner.

BTW......I only keep liability on my bike. I'm paying less than $100.00 per year.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

Color Monitor

CA insurance

Don't forget to check the title/registration costs too.

TG
    Last edited by AV80R; 07-17-2019 at 10:58 PM. Reason: No politics
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

Hooligan

Progressive on my bikes. State Farm on my house and car.

BadAss Hooligan

I have 6 bikes on Geico.

Runs about $1200 to $1300 a year for the lot of them IIRC.

Hooligan

CA insurance

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    Don't forget to check the title/registration costs too.

TG
    Luckily I am not a CA resident, (military).
    Last edited by AV80R; 07-17-2019 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Edited quote - No politics

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by therokonkid View Post
    I have 6 bikes on Geico..
    I have Geico too. I'm not happy with any of the insurance companies. The cost is adjusted by the risk where you live.

There are a lot of uninsured drivers where there are lots of illegals. "Uninsured motorist" insurance is not what it sounds like. After they plow you and keep going, it will be on your own insurance to cover it.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan

Yeah there is a reason I only ride old motorcycles. You can't get the parts to fix them if an accident happens anyway, so I only carry liability. $267 a year for 7 motorcycles.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

We carry high limits of liability and comprehensive on our car / truck. I can't even recall the last time I had full-coverage on any vehicle I've owned.

About a year ago, we took out an umbrella policy for $1M. It provides additional coverage for anything that is insured.

Devils’ Advocate

dano, read the replies at the end:

https://www.doughroller.net/insuranc...-credit-score/

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post

It just hasn't been my experience with getting insurance quotes and then having my credit score take a hit. I keep an eye on my score as closely as anyone. Same goes for all of my cc accounts, and banking / savings accounts.

I've never been a victim of any kind of fraud.......period. Umm, I take that back. Only once, and it was in regards to renting a U-Haul trailer one-way from AZ. to OR. I ended up getting my money back and the crooked U-Haul dealer in question lost his franchise.

In this day & age, most anything is possible I suppose. If credit scores can and do take hits from getting insurance quotes, it hasn't happened to me.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insu...-credit-score/
    Last edited by dano; 07-17-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

CA insurance

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    Don't forget to check the title/registration costs too. Someone has to pay for all of that free healthcare for illegal aliens.

TG
    Yes, our vehicle registration fees about doubled two years ago.
    Last edited by AV80R; 07-17-2019 at 10:59 PM. Reason: No politics
    “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry, American patriot.

"Red is faster of course" 8/5/19 Ca Pete acknowledges the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    I have Geico too. I'm not happy with any of the insurance companies. The cost is adjusted by the risk where you live.

There are a lot of uninsured drivers where there are lots of illegals. "Uninsured motorist" insurance is not what it sounds like. After they plow you and keep going, it will be on your own insurance to cover it.
    I have USAA for everything. Not cheap, but there when I need them. An A+ insurance company to deal with.

There are a lot of uninsured and underinsured drivers in CA. I was rear-ended in November 2016 and again in May 2018. Both drivers had a $15K policy (the CA legal minimum). So, I carry uninsured and underinsured coverage at my own policy limits (which are high). And, yes, my own policy paid some money for the second accident which really jacked up my low back.

Depending on how you assess the risk of being hit by someone with no insurance or a minimal policy, it may pay to make sure your uninsured and underinsured coverage limits are at your own policy limits (assuming you are responsible and carry at least $100,000 in primary liability coverage).

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice. Your mileage may vary.
    “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry, American patriot.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Rickrides View Post
    I have USAA for everything. Not cheap, but there when I need them. An A+ insurance company to deal with.

There are a lot of uninsured and underinsured drivers in CA. I was rear-ended in November 2016 and again in May 2018. Both drivers had a $15K policy (the CA legal minimum). So, I carry uninsured and underinsured coverage at my own policy limits (which are high). And, yes, my own policy paid some money for the second accident which really jacked up my low back.

Depending on how you assess the risk of being hit by someone with no insurance or a minimal policy, it may pay to make sure your uninsured and underinsured coverage limits are at your own policy limits (assuming you are responsible and carry at least $100,000 in primary liability coverage).

A big +1 on the uninsured and under-insured coverage. I carry as high a limit as I can on both.

Hooligan

I have USAA. My quote for full coverage through them via Progressive was $1k. Geico wanted $600. My MD insurance was $170. I went with the absolute cheapest policy to keep me legal, which was STILL 100 more than previous full coverage. I don't need medical/ lost wages, etc. It's a 2k bike for chrissake! I don't get it.

Oddly, my car insurance went down $150 here.

President Emeritus

I have Pacific Specialty, reasonably priced, but for old bikes like the ZRX, they really only offer basic coverage, no physical damage. https://www.pacificspecialty.com/ins...rcycle-street/

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    I have Pacific Specialty, reasonably priced, but for old bikes like the ZRX, they really only offer basic coverage, no physical damage. https://www.pacificspecialty.com/ins...rcycle-street/
    That sounds pretty good.

When I went down on the Ducati Monster in 2014 USAA's adjuster put the estimate to fix it at like $7K and I told him I did not want the bike totaled but just enough to keep it under whatever number was necessary to keep it from being totaled. He worked with me and I got enough to fix everything that needed fixing but did most of the work myself. Worked out well.

But, at this point, not sure it's really cost effective to maintain full coverage on the Monster and ZRX, which are 19 and 20 years old and probably worth no more than 4K on a good day. May have to see how much that is costing. Multiple vehicle discount helps!

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

$100 a year full coverage through Nationwide.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

I used to be....

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    A big +1 on the uninsured and under-insured coverage. I carry as high a limit as I can on both.
    I can't agree more!!!!!!!!!

Five years ago our oldest was involved in a motorcycle crash (girl turned in front of him). She had the state liability minimum and by midnight that day his medical bills surpassed that amount. Six hour surgery to put his shattered leg back together along with repairs to his hand. At 21 he was in a wheel chair for months, hard at that age to have your mother help you go to the bathroom and shower. We had under insured on cars and bikes, each states laws are different but thank god we had it.

We also have a $1MM umbrella liability policy, the cost is reasonable to protect what we have worked a lifetime for. Once the kids are off our insurance policies and not riding our motorcycles we will consider canceling but cheap for the piece of mind.

We also have a $1MM umbrella liability policy, the cost is reasonable to protect what we have worked a lifetime for. Once the kids are off our insurance policies and not riding our motorcycles we will consider canceling but cheap for the piece of mind.

Also have a $1 mil umbrella policy. Not that expensive though your basic policy has to be for a certain amount.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

When we took out our umbrella policy, all of our liability limits had to be the maximum.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie View Post
    $100 a year full coverage through Nationwide.
    In California? I may give them a call.

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by Twinsrule View Post
    In California? I may give them a call.
    Florida
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

BadAss Hooligan

That sounds pretty good.

When I went down on the Ducati Monster in 2014 USAA's adjuster put the estimate to fix it at like $7K and I told him I did not want the bike totaled but just enough to keep it under whatever number was necessary to keep it from being totaled. He worked with me and I got enough to fix everything that needed fixing but did most of the work myself. Worked out well.

But, at this point, not sure it's really cost effective to maintain full coverage on the Monster and ZRX, which are 19 and 20 years old and probably worth no more than 4K on a good day. May have to see how much that is costing. Multiple vehicle discount helps!
    this is why i just get liability. I would only get full coverage for a bike that can be rebuilt with new, OEM, readily available, parts.

my premium is $13.26/month. Part of the low rate is I completed the basic rider safety course, 10 years w/o so much as a parking ticket, mature rider discount, renewal/transfer discount, etc... I use GEICO

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Cundalini View Post
    this is why i just get liability. I would only get full coverage for a bike that can be rebuilt with new, OEM, readily available, parts.

my premium is $13.26/month. Part of the low rate is I completed the basic rider safety course, 10 years w/o so much as a parking ticket, mature rider discount, renewal/transfer discount, etc... I use GEICO
    Thinking of dropping coverages on the Monster and ZRX for anything except liability and uninsured-underinsured. Gotta have those.

I did a MSF course and Streetmasters so I get the max discount for riding education. I don't think I have any tickets on my record at this time. And I'm a mature driver with multi-vehicle discount. Do have a couple of accidents though--one my fault but only a fender bender property damage claim. Been hit three times in under three years though in the cars. So, I have made claims.

I have not actually looked at each bike individually to see what they add. I expect my 2016 Versys and the wife's 2015 FJ09 are the most costly as well as our cars.

When I retire I'm probably going to drop some coverage limits but could lose the $1 mil. umbrella. We'll see. By then I'll probably pare the bikes down a bit.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

I've been riding on the street since age 16. Never had a ticket in my life. That's not to say that I haven't been stopped for one reason or another.

Just no tickets..........

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    I've been riding on the street since age 16. Never had a ticket in my life. That's not to say that I haven't been stopped for one reason or another.

Just no tickets..........
    On bikes, I've only had one ticket. Got out of a couple.

Let's not talk about tickets in cars except I will say I have beat the CHP in court twice. They lie like cheap rugs. Get caught.

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

It pays to check because different companies rate bikes differently. When I went from liability only on my 83 750 Spectre to full coverage on my zx14r with State Farm my monthly insurance cost went from $32/month to $58/month. State Farm rates bikes based on their engine size only. I checked with Progressive and they wanted 2.5x what SF did. So if your on an expensive bike you get off cheap with SF - if your bike is on the other end of the scale then you get raked over the coals. I couldn't believe it when they said $58/month..
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"