+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 64

Thread: Tire chirp

  1. #1
    The Krylon Kid
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Manchester NH

    Tire chirp

    I've recently noticed my front tire chirping when downshifting. This new development seems to correlate with the installation of a new front tire. Is this normal? I only suspect it's the tire because it sounds like rubber on asphalt, but it might also be the front fork compressing???

  2. #2
    Devilsí Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Large and Prickley

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    I've recently noticed my front tire chirping when downshifting. This new development seems to correlate with the installation of a new front tire. Is this normal? I only suspect it's the tire because it sounds like rubber on asphalt, but it might also be the front fork compressing???
    ...Have a good mechanic check it out.

    ooooooooooooo

    WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

    PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

  3. #3
    TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    I've recently noticed my front tire chirping when downshifting. This new development seems to correlate with the installation of a new front tire. Is this normal? I only suspect it's the tire because it sounds like rubber on asphalt, but it might also be the front fork compressing???

    Only on down shifting? How's it sound when you brake hard on the front? I could understand the chirping when you brake, but when you down shift?

    Give that front tire some more miles of wear and see what occurs.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

    ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

    (Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)


  4. #4
    Devilsí Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Large and Prickley

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Only on down shifting? How's it sound when you brake hard on the front? I could understand the chirping when you brake, but when you down shift?

    Give that front tire some more miles of wear and see what occurs.
    He's either missteakin' at what he's hearing, or it's something serious....get it checked out.

    ooooooooooooo

    WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

    PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

  5. #5
    The Krylon Kid
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Manchester NH

    Re: Tire chirp

    I rarely find myself braking hard... make that never. I consider myself a decent mechanic. I guess I was hoping somebody would pipe up and say "that happens all the time Brah." I'll pile some miles on it and see what's the what.

  6. #6
    TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    He's either missteakin' at what he's hearing, or it's something serious....get it checked out.

    Even with a full face helmet, I still get a lot of road / wind noise. I hear crap all the time and I wonder what it is or where it's originating from.

    Just can't see that down shifting would cause a new front tire to chirp any. It's not like it stops rotating for a moment. But hey, I've been wrong before. I thought that a new pair of Ohlins would make a big difference on my bike.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

    ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

    (Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)


  7. #7
    Devilsí Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Large and Prickley

    Re: Tire chirp

    He could just run it up to a buck thirty a dozen times an see it anything gives up?

    Just downshifting should not do that, but the front wheel was just off and the noise just started..?

    As I always say: "What's broke is usually the last thing you worked on."

    ooooooooooooo

    WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

    PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

  8. #8
    The Krylon Kid
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Manchester NH

    Re: Tire chirp

    The motorcycle has been to 120+ multiple times since. It's steady and tight. Maybe I am mistaken. Machines make noise.

  9. #9
    TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

    Re: Tire chirp

    Agreed! I'd take a good close look at the front end again and make sure all is right. When changing out tires, I always take a good 2nd look at everything before I go for a ride.

    Myself, I was never one to pay good money to a mechanic to check out a noise. Chances are, the tech won't hear what you're complaining about anyways. Isn't that the way it always ends up?

    I'm not saying to make multiple runs @ 130. I'm saying put some more miles on the tire, do so conservatively, and go from there.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

    ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

    (Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)


  10. #10
    TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    The motorcycle has been to 120+ multiple times since. It's steady and tight. Maybe I am mistaken. Machines make noise.


    You could put an eye out at those speeds............
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

    ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

    (Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)


  11. #11
    Devilsí Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Large and Prickley

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    You could put an eye out at those speeds............
    I know, right??

    ooooooooooooo

    WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

    PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

  12. #12
    Mod/Admin
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dayton,Me

    Re: Tire chirp

    I'd check the speedo driver in the wheel and speedo cable. Just a suggestion , they will make a chirping sound when they aren't on right.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me Ö It's time for patriots everywhere to rally together again and take back America. - Chuck Norris

  13. #13
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    US

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    The motorcycle has been to 120+ multiple times since. It's steady and tight. Maybe I am mistaken. Machines make noise.
    BUT when they used to not make noise, that can be a problem
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

  14. #14
    TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by schmoo View Post
    I'd check the speedo driver in the wheel and speedo cable. Just a suggestion , they will make a chirping sound when they aren't on right.

    ^^^^^ What he said!
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

    ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

    (Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)


  15. #15
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    south of the river

    Re: Tire chirp

    If you had ever seen the aftermath of a front wheel bearing failure, up close and personal, you would be going over that front end thoroughly.

  16. #16
    Devilsí Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Large and Prickley

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by cuznguido View Post
    If you had ever seen the aftermath of a front wheel bearing failure, up close and personal, you would be going over that front end thoroughly.
    Prezactly.

    ooooooooooooo

    WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

    PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

  17. #17
    I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sunfield, MI

    Re: Tire chirp

    If it were me I wouldn't ride it until I figured out where that sound was coming from. Somethings not right.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229



    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"


  18. #18
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, AL

    Re: Tire chirp

    Tires (rubber) don't chirp... metal chirps. Like said, check it out before riding it again.

    As stated, it's most likely the speed drive, cable or my thought is the front axle isn't tight causing the speedo drive housing to work between the bosses on the fork leg.

    Check it out to make us all happy

    Wayne

  19. #19
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern,Ma

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post

    As I always say: "What's broke is usually the last thing you worked on."
    yeah....
    yrs. ago one of my technical mentors always preached.....
    "check where the last human hands were".

  20. #20
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern,Ma

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by BAMA-ZRX View Post
    Tires (rubber) don't chirp... metal chirps. Like said, check it out before riding it again.

    As stated, it's most likely the speed drive, cable or my thought is the front axle isn't tight causing the speedo drive housing to work between the bosses on the fork leg.

    Check it out to make us all happy

    Wayne
    only front tire chirp is hi speed wheelie.......so Im told...my .02

    I never had the balls or the mtr. to do 100mph wheelie...

  21. #21
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, AL

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
    only front tire chirp is hi speed wheelie.......so Im told...my .02

    I never had the balls or the mtr. to do 100mph wheelie...
    I didn't think about wheelies... but he did say braking not accelerating

    I've been on 100 MPH wheelies back in the day... on some H2 triples and kawi turbos... but I was young and dumb!

    Wayne

  22. #22
    Devilsí Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Large and Prickley

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by BAMA-ZRX View Post
    I didn't think about wheelies... but he did say braking not accelerating

    I've been on 100 MPH wheelies back in the day... on some H2 triples and kawi turbos... but I was young and dumb!

    Wayne
    No, just upon downshifting ....he said nothing about braking.

    ooooooooooooo

    WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

    PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

  23. #23
    2009 Hooligan of the year
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Re: Tire chirp

    Let's see......hearing a chirp.....from the front.....when down shifting......and possibly related to a recent front tire change.


    Yeah, I'd be looking at the speedo cable and the speedo housing to confirm the prongs are properly seated in the hub. You may find you have a broken speedo hub. Wouldn't be the first.

  24. #24
    Weirdly Peculiar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Where am I?

    Re: Tire chirp

    Try bouncing the front end up and down in the garage, listen for the noise...
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

    2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

    "A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

    He who is right all the time is never always right.

  25. #25
    CarlM
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Central California

    Re: Tire chirp

    my front tire has chirped after hard acceleration.


    You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

  26. #26
    Devilsí Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Large and Prickley

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Let's see......hearing a chirp.....from the front.....when down shifting......and possibly related to a recent front tire change.


    Yeah, I'd be looking at the speedo cable and the speedo housing to confirm the prongs are properly seated in the hub. You may find you have a broken speedo hub. Wouldn't be the first.
    This ^^

    ooooooooooooo

    WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

    PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

  27. #27
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    "Straya"

    Re: Tire chirp

    It may be the speedo inner cable contacting the speedo inside the speedo clock.

    Dab the front brakes and see if you can reproduce the noise.

    You have had the front wheel out and the speedo cable assembly has been disturbed.

    Downshifting can cause the fork to compress.

    It's a bit off the wall,but worth a try.

  28. #28
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Perth Australia

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by green12 View Post
    my front tire has chirped after hard acceleration.
    My front tyre chirps sometimes when upshifting from 2nd to 3rd.


    Acceleration - 1109JE pistons, ZX11 Cams & rockers, ported head, CNC Valve job, CVK40 carbs, F/Pro kit, Tsukigi exhaust, dyna ignition, Ape clutch,
    Handling - ZX14 front end, and clutch, ZX6 swingarm, ZX10 wheels, brembo rc19 master, braided lines, Works shocks,
    Bling - Custom radiator, trainlight with HID, Jason bar end mirrors, dickstand & pulsar cover, Poshfaith sprocket cover, Sgt seat, Teds battery out, Mark444 S/S Kit..

  29. #29
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    North Carolina

    Re: Tire chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Agreed! I'd take a good close look at the front end again and make sure all is right. When changing out tires, I always take a good 2nd look at everything before I go for a ride.

    Myself, I was never one to pay good money to a mechanic to check out a noise. Chances are, the tech won't hear what you're complaining about anyways. Isn't that the way it always ends up?

    I'm not saying to make multiple runs @ 130. I'm saying put some more miles on the tire, do so conservatively, and go from there.
    That's what I do too. Then I take it up and down the street at slow speed a few times with no helmet to see if I can hear something (see if I can hear something???). Then I check it again.

  30. #30
    Legal Eagle
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl

    Re: Tire chirp

    A front tire chirping under hard braking means it is going to lose traction. Happened to me once as I was going too fast into a turn on the Cherahola, I released the front brake hoping I had scruffed off enough speed and had to lean more than I was comfortable, but made it through the turn


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.7
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 PM.
vBulletin 4.0 skin by CompleteVB