+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Licensed to Mod

New member from Mississippi

Hello all. My name is Randy Woolington and glad to be a new member here. I have just bought a 1999 ZRX 1100 and during my internet research before I bought the bike, this site came up. I have spend hours here lurking before I joined this morning. Man, WHAT A WEALTH OF INFORMATION!!!!. My bike is bone stock except for D&D full exhaust and previous owner trimming the rear fender off flush with the tag and replaced clutch/brake levers. 35,000 miles and runs GREAT and looks great. I have built some pretty heavy hitting street cars in the past including a 1969 Pro Street Chevelle with a 700 horse pump gas 496 and my latest is a 1955 Chevy 150 sedan Gasser. I'm sure with the age range of lots of members here,most know what a Gasser is. 427 cubic inch,tunnel ram,solid roller cam,4-speed trans,9" ford. Street car. I am 58 yrs. old and had a pretty gnarly crash on a Honda 900F when I was 28. Really soured me on street bikes for many years. I have a 15 yr. old son that has been riding since he was 3. YES 3! He has fallen in love with street bikes so he and I got this bike as a project. He cares absolutely nothing for cars, trucks etc. Started looking for a project bike like an older Kaw KZ to do as a cafe racer style. We ran across this bike and he fell in love with the retro look of it. Now I know most here would say that the ZRX is NOT a beginner bike. I AGREE!!! My 15 year old son is 5'11" tall and weighs 185 lbs. He is an absolute natural on a motorcycle {dirt bike} and is very good at "risk management/assessment". He still has a learners permit and won't get his license for 6 more months. Between now and then he will take a riding course and have lots of time riding/practicing in a closed environment. His Mama is not overjoyed with the thought but is cool with it. Enough babbling. Looking forward to being a part of this board and thanks to ARASH for letting me join!

BadAss Hooligan

Re: New member from Mississippi

WELCOME!

The GREEN 1100 is the best of all ZRXs!

Post pics!
    Member # 10024 - 99 ZRX1100
    Les Coqs Sauvages - We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us...
    "A little extra is never enough…too much is just right..." - KWICK

BadAss Hooligan

Name:  Welcome to the Party Pal.gif
Views: 98
Size:  318.6 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Color Monitor

Welcome. The ZRX is the muscle bike of the motorcycle world. Let's see some pics of your 55 Gasser. Glad you mentioned it because I was going to ask based on your board name. We have a member here that bought a barn find 55 gasser years ago and returned it back to stock.

TG
    Last edited by TGHW; 07-02-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

2009 Hooligan of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Gasser55 View Post
    I have a 15 yr. old son that has been riding since he was 3. He has fallen in love with street bikes so he and I got this bike as a project. He cares absolutely nothing for cars, trucks etc. We ran across this bike and he fell in love with the retro look of it.
    Smart kid!

Welcome to the madness!

In Charge of McGov Only

Licensed to Mod

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    Welcome. The ZRX is the muscle bike of the motorcycle world. Let's see some pics of your 55 Gasser. Glad you mentioned it because I was going to ask based on your board name. We have a member here that bought a barn find 55 gasser years ago and returned it back to stock.

TG
    I will post up pics of Gasser. I will have to get my wife or son to show me how. Gimme a little while and I'll get pics up!

Born In The USA

Welcome!
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Licensed to Mod

Name:  Gasser right front.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  236.7 KBName:  Gasser full right.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  216.1 KBName:  Gasser engine.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  128.3 KB

Color Monitor

Awesome! Very Two Lane Blacktop-esque. I love the pie crusts and the tunnel ram. Are you running a rock crusher behind the big block?

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590

Licensed to Mod

Awesome! Very Two Lane Blacktop-esque. I love the pie crusts and the tunnel ram. Are you running a rock crusher behind the big block?

TG
    Trans is Auto Gear M23 4 speed. Company in Syracuse,New York makes it. Based on a Muncie externally but lot thicker case. 33 different gear set choices. Built to handle 650-700 FT.LBS. Pie crusts are new tires from Towel City Tire in N.C. New truck radial with tread shaved and pie crust cap vulcanized to carcass. They pulled out their original molds from the 60's. Pic doesn't show but also running Vertex magneto.Works flawlessly.

Color Monitor

That's gotta be a lot of fun on the street.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590

BadAss Hooligan

Welcome

Sweet look'n 55
    01 ZRX 1200 green
    00 ZRX 1100 black
    12 C14 connie red
    2003 KLX 400
    2004 CRF100
    2008 CRF100
    2016 300 Ninja
    2017 Z125 Pro
    " Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars"

" That which you manifest is before you " Enzo

ZRXOA# 8746

Licensed to Mod

That's gotta be a lot of fun on the street.

TG
    Indeed! I think I'm 16 again. Especially when shifted at 7,500. From 6,000 to 7,500 it feels like it's getting a 150 shot of nitrous. Tunnel rams pull hard up top.

Color Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Gasser55 View Post
    Indeed! I think I'm 16 again. Especially when shifted at 7,500. From 6,000 to 7,500 it feels like it's getting a 150 shot of nitrous. Tunnel rams pull hard up top.
    Cadman is one of our members from CA. He has a lot of experience with 427s and tunnel rams. I'm sure he'll chime in here when he sees it.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590

BadAss Hooligan

WELCOME ABOARD

CONGRATS on your new and it's great to see father and son going projects this day and time, making memories for the rest of your lives.

Like the gasser... haven't seen one of them in a while, looks great

As you know it's family here so you and your son be sure to ask and don't be shy!

Good luck with your projects

Wayne

Licensed to Mod

Man. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! Great to be here!

Born In The USA

Cadman is one of our members from CA. He has a lot of experience with 427s and tunnel rams. I'm sure he'll chime in here when he sees it.

TG
    Looks like a lot of fun.

I took a '55 like that (stock body and suspension) in a trade. It came with an open chamber, aluminum head 427 and 4 speed. I just wanted the engine and trans as a backup for the closed chamber, aluminum head 427 in my '64 Vette. I traded the car for a bike. They were not as valuable back then.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Licensed to Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    Looks like a lot of fun.

I took a '55 like that (stock body and suspension) in a trade. It came with an open chamber, aluminum head 427 and 4 speed. I just wanted the engine and trans as a backup for the closed chamber, aluminum head 427 in my '64 Vette. I traded the car for a bike. They were not as valuable back then.
    Thanks. This is a 4 door to 2 door conversion. This 427 has 990 square port heads with enough money in them I could have bought a pair of aluminum. I built it per Southeast Gassers Association rules. Car has to be period correct and everything on it had to be available in the mid 60’s. About 6 months before completing I decided chasing that series was going to be LOTS of time and money. In the 2 year build time the cars in that class had shaved 1.5 seconds off their E.T.’s.Decided to just street drive it and have fun.

BadAss Hooligan

Welcome !!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Born In The USA

"Thanks. This is a 4 door to 2 door conversion. This 427 has 990 square port heads with enough money in them I could have bought a pair of aluminum. I built it per Southeast Gassers Association rules. Car has to be period correct and everything on it had to be available in the mid 60’s. About 6 months before completing I decided chasing that series was going to be LOTS of time and money. In the 2 year build time the cars in that class had shaved 1.5 seconds off their E.T.’s.Decided to just street drive it and have fun."

If the weight is not a problem, I think the iron heads are better. The aluminum ones are designed to have studs drop through loops in the valley of the block to finish the bolt pattern. With 12 1/2:1 pistons, I blew head gaskets a lot. I think the iron units will span the area where the bolt is missing with more clamping force on the gasket.
    I could never afford to go racing in any meaningful way, so I just went to the drags now and then. I think enjoying it on the street will be more fun.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Licensed to Mod

I agree on the iron heads. This is a 10-1 compression engine. Able to run 93 octane pump gas.

President of the ZRXOA

Welcome aboard Randy!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Do you feel BRUCE!, punk?

Welcome, and that 55 Chevy is awesome............brings back memories, but where is the rat fink?
    2003 Green ZRX
    1983 Red Honda 1100F (sold)
    1983 Blue Honda 1100F (sold)
    1979 Honda CB650 Custom (broke cam/sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (bad cam/stolen/sold)

Licensed to Mod

Name:  ZRX resized.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  153.7 KBName:  ZRX 3 resized.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  192.0 KBName:  ZRX 2 resized.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  189.2 KB

2009 Hooligan of the year

Nice!

Born In The USA

Nice looking bike!

I see something going on with your eccentric adjuster. The guy before you has used a combination of sprockets and chain that has left you with no adjustment left.

Depending on whether you are big boned and want to flatten your eyeballs, some reduction from stock may be called for, but the stock sprockets work OK for medium weight riders. I found the stock ones made adjusting the chain easier, so I went back to that.

With the eccentric all the way back like that, it increases the chance of setting the rear tire in a not totally vertical position. The adjustment marks on the swing arm are expected to be off.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Licensed to Mod

Yes Cadman. I noticed this condition when I was looking at the ad before I bought it. I figured we would have to do new chain/sprockets due to unknown condition of components.Have not had a chance to do a really thorough inspection of bike since we've only had it a couple of days. Over the 4th weekend my son and I will rake it over good. I'm sure I will be back for sprocket size recommendations. Thanks for the heads up and a keen eye! Is the green stripe on front and rear wheel stock? Don't remember seeing one yet with this arrangement.

Color Monitor

Green wheel stripes are not stock.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590

Licensed to Mod

Green wheel stripes are not stock.

TG
    Cool. Thanks!