+ Reply to Thread
    Hooligan

Speed Triple clutch adjustments

2000 Triumph Speed Triple. Went into a local "suspension guru". This was before my ZRX forum days. Came back among other things with a new clutch that had went out while in for suspension work. With all the different bikes I have and thus forums I'm on, this one by far has the most knowledgeable and fun people on it. I know, let the insults fly....

Right now the adjuster at the bar is all the way in. Free play is correct at the bar. The point of engagement is right off the bar. I would like it out further from the bar, easier for me to control. Am I correct at adjusting at the bar to about 1/3 out. It would now be to tight. Then adjusting the free play, to loosen it back up, at the adjuster on the clutch cover? How about some ideas on how to do this properly if this method is incorrect. Thanks for the up coming abuse and advice.

2009 Hooligan of the year

Re: Speed Triple clutch adjustments

The lever is not adjustable in that regard. If you have the free play properly adjusted, that's as good as it gets. The good news though is that adjustable levers are available that will allow you to alter the engagement point as you desire.

Hooligan

Two different animals here. Speed Triple is cable actuated, ZRX is hydraulic. That said...

The adjuster sleeves at bar and clutch cover only lengthen the cable housing, thus effecting the adjustment. If you extend the sleeves out somewhat, you may get enough extra housing to make a less-than-full pull of the lever engage the clutch (effectively adjusting the lever out farther). If clutch is not disengaging without lever right on the grip, adjust to get it off of the bar. If adjustment won't do it, cable may be stretched and time for a new one. Once stretched, there's nothing but replacement. Unless a too short cable was installed, it will never be too tight (it won't shrink, only ever stretch).

LT
    Is it cold? I seem to be shrinking...

BadAss Hooligan

You need to adjust it on the clutch cover first with the adjustment screw on the lever all the way in then slacken the two nuts that hold it in the mount turn the one on the right to tighten till there is Little to no slack on the lever. Tighten up the left bolt to secure the cable in the housing this gives you a static setup and now fine tune it on the bar adjuster. It sounds like itís too tight in the engine side
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

BOTM JUNE 2018 THE VANILLA GORILLA

BadAss Hooligan

But I forgot to say you need a little free play on the cable otherwise it will stay engaged if the cable is to tight
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

Hooligan

Thanks gentlemen, kind of what I had in mind, but thought I would ask before I started monkeying around with it.

BadAss Hooligan

Let us know how it goes