+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Z1R Project

BadAss Hooligan

Z1R Project

So after seeing all the rebuild threads and the Gorilla being done I went and got myself a new project. It's a bucket list top 5 to have one and the prices are madness atm so this wasn't cheap but I was affordable almost got a divorce in the process but my wife forgave me eventually so here she is
    Attached Images        
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

BOTM JUNE 2018 THE VANILLA GORILLA

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Z1R Project

Got started on breaking it down and it looks really good for such an old lady. The pistons were removed years ago dunno why but I'm sure I will find out
    Attached Images      
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

BadAss Hooligan

Carbs apart from some surface rust are in great condition
    Attached Images    

President of the ZRXOA

It's finally time Carlo!!!

Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Head and valves look great no holes ! Bores are great too
    Attached Images    

BadAss Hooligan

As I earlier said: Great catch Carlo and I truly envy you for that blue thunder.
    Did you get an exhaust with it?

As for your wife - sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Subscribed of course.
    Godspeed Jaco. You're missed down here mate.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ZRX View Post
    As I earlier said: Great catch Carlo and I truly envy you for that blue thunder.
    Did you get an exhaust with it?:
    Thanks Heino hopefully I can achieve your standards and it is a dream to own one and Iíve wanted one since I was a kid so dreams come true.

I got a Marshall pipe with it but has been welded by a blind man and his budgy that has the sh*ts

So webike might happen just seeing what I can shift to raise funds otherwise Iíll make my own

BadAss Hooligan

I can feel an awesome story developing here.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

BadAss Hooligan

Adding a few more pics of where I'm at so far. Looks like it had a filter change in 1984 going on the sludge build up and got to use one of my favourite tools to remove the sump plug which some smarty pants made round years ago it's probably why it never got oil changes . ALSO someone when they removed the pistons put used toilet rolls over the rods to stop them making marks on the casings I guess it's one of those simple is sometimes better things this Z is growing on me
    Attached Images          

The Mod Father

I can say right here...,right Now.............I'm gonna love this thread.!!

Great project Carlo..

BG.
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan

Just a few of the clutch. I started with that and well you can see it's been there quite a while the pack stayed together until I maletized it to.come apart but otherwise the steels look okay but it's definitely new springs and plates
    Attached Images          

Devilsí Advocate

"The Minister of War and Finance"

--from one of my friend in Australia.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Well its update time and things were going okay I found it had a dyna electronic ignition instead of points so that's good but then I found a ball in the sump I think it's coming from the clutch but can't get the basket it just yet I'm hoping it's not from anywhere else I also found some piston pin clips and some came chain related stuff. Oh and this thing stinks the oil is almost back into tar form

BadAss Hooligan

I forgot to add pics what a noob
    Attached Images              

BadAss Hooligan

And just had a look I don't have a flywheel oh the joys!
    Attached Images  

BadAss Hooligan

The ball goes between the clutch pusher and the rod. here are a couple inspirational piks. this is a 2200 mile all original bike.

Name:  thumbnail_Attachmen(1).jpg
Views: 319
Size:  263.0 KB

Name:  thumbnail_Attachmen.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  271.8 KB

President of the ZRXOA

That oil is congealing a lot! You caught this just in time before it gets worse.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

I test rode a new one back in the day. I wanted that thing so bad, I could taste it. But, back then, money was oh so tight.

Another dealer had the TC model in stock. The closest I could get to it was to stand near-by and just gawk.

Name:  28cd7b25add3e6cc52ac6758fc1d5370.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  159.0 KB
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by ninja11zx View Post
    The ball goes between the clutch pusher and the rod...
    With the older 550 this was the setup - will probably be the same for your big one, Carlo.
    Name:  clutch-ball.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  76.1 KB

Finding piston pin clips in the oil sump of old Kawis seems to become a fashion nowadays. I joined the club recently too.

I love this thread already and you are doing it right taking everything apart downt to parts level. Great job, mate.

BadAss Hooligan

I've got a friend with an original blue TC. Been sitting in the basement for years.
    It's better to be a smartass than a dumbass, although my wife says I can be both at the same time.

BadAss Hooligan

The guy that owns the blue one i posted above had a black molly tc that he sold a few years ago. the blue one above just sold yesterday for big money and is heading to japan.

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks guys I'm hoping it's from there and not anywhere else just making up a tool now to hold the basket also I found this manual from a really nice gentleman and for 40 pounds I dunno how many us that is but it's great condition
    Attached Images  

BadAss Hooligan

There is an amendment manual for the Z1R also. I found one in a German forum, but that is in German unfortunately.

Devilsí Advocate

There is an amendment manual for the Z1R also. I found one in a German forum, but that is in German unfortunately.
    Google Translate app
    Works great!

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

I know some German Du bist eine Furzkiste I love that one I learned it years ago and break it out often

BadAss Hooligan

I will get it for you tomorrow.

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

Of all the bikes I had a chance to buy and didn't, the most I regret not buying was that Z1R-TC.

My buddies actually ponied up the money I was short. They offered it to me interest free, and plenty of time to pay it back.

Back then, I was semi-employed and not so sure yet of my career track. I didn't want to place myself in a position owing others money.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

BadAss Hooligan

Carlo, I am gathering some Z1R reading for you. What P/N does your service manual have? Thereís a 99931-540-02 covering the KZ1000-A1, KZ1000-A2, and KZ1000-D1 (frame KZT00D-000001-) and a 99931-540-03 covering additionally the KZ1000-A3 and KZ1000-D2 (frame KZT00D-17501-).

If I remember it right you have the D1, correct?

If you are interested I could provide the latter manual in English as PDF anyway. It is a huuuge PDF though (280 MB split over 5 files) so we would need to see how to get it to you (maybe burning a CD and send it over).

BadAss Hooligan

I used a "bad" apostrophe and can't edit but by PDF optimization I would be able to reduce those file sizes immensely but still it would be too big to send, so I guess a CD will be the best.

I will also provide wirings, parts catalogs, and lots of ads and posters like these on it. Only if you want me to, of course.
    Name:  Poster_Z1R_1978_01.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  596.5 KB
    Name:  Poster_Z1-R_THE_FASTEST.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  1.34 MB

Edit: Even without the Service Manual mentioned above, I am already at 170 MB of data.
    Name:  2019-07-05 07_54_21-Z1R.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  119.6 KB
    Name:  2019-07-05 07_54_57-Commercials_and_Pics.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  71.3 KB

Edit2: Since it never hurts to have an electronic (searchable) version of a service manual, I just added the 99931-540-03 to the compilation. I brought it down to 72 MB plus 9 MB for the Z1R supplement manual.
    Please PM me your address so I can shoot out the CD.
    Last edited by Black-ZRX; 07-05-2019 at 03:49 AM.

President of the ZRXOA

Nice job Heino