+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stalled project

BadAss Hooligan

Stalled project

About 3 maybe 4 years ago, I started dis assembling my 1970 Moto Guzzi 750 Ambo. It was a complete, low mileage runner, that ran very well. Biggest issue was that the paint is way sun - faded (but original), and it leaked oil out of several areas, but not really enough to notice much of a difference in the level. I thought I would take it apart, fix the oil leaks (just re gasket the motor) and have it painted in stock colors, and recreate the pin striping. So now it sits on my lift table, All the tin is off, most of the wiring tagged and un hooked, carbs, generator, pipes removed tagged and boxed. And there it sits, at least 3 years now. I have completely lost my motivation. Anybody have any idea how to kick yourself in the butt and restarting? I've got plenty of projects in line, but the Guzzi is so far on the back burner I hardly see it anymore. I'd hate to die and have it end up in a scrap pile. Not sure how to rev up my enthusiasm. BTW, I used to love riding it for a change of pace. Kinda lost
    "Nothing is good or bad, thought makes it so"
    William Shakespeare

1970 Moto Guzzi 750 Ambassator "Way back machine"
    2001 ZRX1200R "Green Meanie"
    1999 Honda VFR Interceptor "Red menace"

King of Kazmania

Re: Stalled project

" 'tis far better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
    - Someone

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on,
    or by imbeciles who really mean it."
    - Someone else

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, DO WHAT YOU SAY

BadAss Hooligan

^^^ this ^^^
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Mainely here

Yeah well, I built a frame, 40 degree neck, installed a TL1000R motor, was going to go land speed race with it...

I've never dropped something after so much work. Guess I'm old enough to accept I'll come back around to it. I still want to ride it.

Figure the fire will come back. Don't force it.

Name:  20170406070856-8dde3e7d-me.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  91.6 KB

Hooligan

Just keep pecking away at it a little at a time . Even small things add up . Soon it will be so close you will start to enjoy it again .

I should talk . Got about 10 projects in different stages .

Got a 70 chevy truck haven't touched it 10 years and it was an easy resto.

BadAss Hooligan

I've always loved projects but as I get older it seems they drag out longer.....but I still love them.
    I now don't jump around, I get on one thing and stay with it unless I run out of parts.
    For instance, the ZRX I'm on now I'll work on the swingarm/rear wheel & brake. Next I'll move to the front, then the engine, etc. and this keeps my interest alive without feeling overwhelmed.
    Now get back to work!!! ;-)
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

President of the ZRXOA

Get one thing, no matter how small, done every day.

Eventually it will be done.

Looking at the big picture will crap you out. Think of it as a bunch of little projects.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

The Mod Father

That is exactly my approach as well Arash...

I guess every one of us hits a 'wilderness / writers block' period every once in a while...

Motivation and enthusiasm wanes and apathy sets in..

When you get into that frame of mind.,even the very thought of "the work ahead" has us procrastinating over the slightest thing and you start thinking "what's the point".?

Like BB King says... "The Thrill is Gone".!!

Its a difficult one.....,but I think Start small (real small.!!)

Begin with baby steps like just looking at the project on the table and 'cleaning/tidying the area around it' .....examine little areas on the "project itself" and clean them..

Then take a wee break..,have a Beer or coffee and "look" over the project...just stare at it and in your minds eye pick out something you "want" to work on..

Focus on the first "Small" thing that need doing and do that (only that)...

When you see "something" done (no matter how small and you get a sense of satisfaction from how it turned out.,then slowly the "desire" to take another wee step on the "next bit" will follow..

Do not rush Anything....,Do not look 'too intently' on the amount of work ahead to complete the entire project...............just one small step at a time.

Treat each job (area) almost like a separate project from the whole, even though they are all linked and related...

When I was involved in scratchbuilding masterpattern models for some manufacturers back in the 80's~90's this was the method I worked....."sub-assemblies"...

How does the old Chinese proverb go ?.... "a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step"..

Take it one small step at a time....and before you know, when you see something getting transformed by "your hand" the sense of satisfaction will encourage you to press on...

Take your time...it is a hobby not a chore.!

Hope this helps
    God Bless

Brian G Wells.
    Last edited by BG Wells; 06-26-2019 at 04:45 AM.
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY

BadAss Hooligan

I tell myself i need to give my project just 30 minutes a weekend, even if it is just staring at it. It usually turns into more once I get started.
    02' ORANGE!

Originally Posted by CinKo

"Apparently Titanium to Kawasaki
    Has become what Chrome is to Harley..."

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Ti = Sex

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks all, I think starting small approach may work for me, I'm going to grab 1 part at a time, and finish it the best I know how. Maybe I'll ride it again!
    "Nothing is good or bad, thought makes it so"
    William Shakespeare

1970 Moto Guzzi 750 Ambassator "Way back machine"
    2001 ZRX1200R "Green Meanie"
    1999 Honda VFR Interceptor "Red menace"