+ Reply to Thread
    Just Some Random Guy

Another issue with my DRZ400S

Here we go again...so petcock failure is as common an issue with the DRZ as it is with the ZRX. Mine failed at work, filled the cylinder with gas, and when I came out to start it, the starter just clicked like the battery was dead. Tried bump starting it and dumping the clutch just locked the rear wheel and didn't turn over the engine.

Got it home in the truck, realize what the issue was, pulled the spark plug and pumped the fuel out of the cylinder. However now the starter motor won't turn over.

Short story; does any have a wiring schematic for a 2009 DRZ?

Long story; I can jump the solenoid and the starter spins. The 20 amp main fuse is good and showing 12V on both sides of the fuse.

However when you press the starter, the yellow/black and black/white going to the solinoid plug do not energize.

Pulling the starter switch from the handle bar shows w/key on: 12v at the red wire, 10v at both the orange and the yellow/white wires, and 0v at the yellow/green wire. Pressing the starter brings the yellow/green wire to 12v and the yellow/white wire goes to 0v and the headlight goes out.

So it appears everything from the battery to the starter switch is working, and everything from the solenoid to the starter motor is working. But I'd like a schematic before I trouble shoot any deeper.

Last edited by HarleyJohn; 06-22-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    Last edited by AV80R; Today at 03:47 AM. Reason: No politics

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

Just Some Random Guy

Re: Another issue with my DRZ400S

Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyJohn View Post
    Glad you found the schematic DRZ looks like a very fun bike to ride around

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

Just Some Random Guy

Yep, there are some great jeep trails over the blue ridge mountains, across the Shenandoah valley, and up into the mountains of West Virginia. Some of the best motorcycling in the world, whether on street or dirt, can be found in VA.

So as I progress with my trouble shooting, chasing voltage from the starter switch to the solinoid, each time I want to confirm voltage at a connector or a switch, I bump the starter switch and see if voltage makes it from the switch to where I'm checking. All of a sudden the starter motor starts turning. I love problems that fix themselves so I don't know what the issue is or when it might return.

beermonger

:damn Johnny, why bother with that little, gutless 400? Dr 650 is what you need.
    Make you a good deal on mine.
    OBJECTS IN MIRROR
    NO LONGER MATTER

...a gentleman who obliviously has love for theses bikes.

ZRXOA member #1964

2009 Hooligan of the year

Check the wiring around the steering head, specifically where they run down the left side. I found frayed wires that were creating starting issues.

Just Some Random Guy

Quote Originally Posted by IGNATZ View Post
    :damn Johnny, why bother with that little, gutless 400? Dr 650 is what you need.
    Make you a good deal on mine.
    Naw, I used to have a KRL650 and downsized 'cause the 650 was more than a handful off road.

I'll check the wiring around the steering head. Sounds a lot like the issue with the ZRX harness where it goes around the frame under the seat and blows main fuses.