+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Hot Tub Advice

  1. #31
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by zdaneman View Post
    I've been using one for 11 years now and as an old Static line and Halo jumper with 6K plus exits/jumps its a God send. At 58 the rucking, running and jumping are catching up with me.

    I have an old Tiger Spa its been rebuilt once and is a quality model. I use a very simple chemical kit. (I'll get you the name) It treats the water for a month and you add 1 chlorine tablet a day. The monthly mix keeps all other chemical levels spot on. Pretty simple.
    Clay is right always shower before going in, swim suits can cloudy the water from your routine laundry detergent. If you have privacy, just like Naked Fly Fishing, Naked Hot Tubing is the best with a female buddy!

    Enjoy!

    Zdaneman sends
    Any system that is effective and streamlines the maintenance is something that appeals to this noob. Do post up the product... thanks Z

    The showering before makes sense and will become my routine. Although thereís nothing but privacy in my backyard

  2. #32
    Trapper John
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Springfield, VA

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Ok, home package is Ecoone SPA monthly. Treats for 6 months, plus 2 containers of one shock and stablizer. One tab a day keeps it fresh and clean. Plus clean the filter once a week. I have two filters just rotate them . Plus filter cleaner and test strips all come in the Ecoone kit. Super simple...I know used to be a life guard and pool chems are a bitch !!! Ck Discount Spa for kit and filters. If no kit go to Company, order direct. I pay 138.00 for 6 month kit. That's DC price. 76 cents a day!
    Zdaneman sends
    zdaneman
    Curve Carver !!

  3. #33
    Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRISPY View Post
    If you pull the trigger, try to go salt water if you can to get away from chlorine.


    Yeah, the chemicals are a bit of a pain. You have to keep the water clean, in Ph balance, etc. If you don't, you can get skin infections. Don't ask how I know.

    Also, don't get it too hot. And never drink so much while relaxing--though it is tempting to do so--that you fall asleep. People have been cooked in hot tubs/spas, whatever you want to call it.

    Some warm water should help loosen muscle tension in my experience.

    Not sure about inflammation though.

    I'm not a doctor and I haven't even played one on TV.
    ďIs life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!Ē Patrick Henry, American patriot.

    "Red is faster of course" 8/5/19 Ca Pete acknowledges the obvious.

  4. #34
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Central NY

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    My Brother has always had one i

    if you lotion or use hair product a shower before use keeps the scum bubbles from foaming/forming which helps with filters , and if ya have hard water a softener helps - even a waterboss from Home Depot helps

    1.25 a day is nice compared to the swim tubs

    .. and to keep bacteria from forming I have been told 103f is key but 103 to maybe 101f is sufficient ?

    I m curious about lowering temps then heating - I have only known people that keep it at 101 then move it up to 103

  5. #35
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    midwest

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Okay Caper, I'll bite.

    First and foremost, do NOT base your selection on how many people it seats.

    Climb into the display and sit in each seat. Water level generally is the bottom of head cushions at each seat.
    Now, are you submerged as much as you want to be without scrunching down into an uncomfortable position?
    If not, the spa is not going to help.

    Upkeep: On my third tub, have done bromine, am currently doing chlorine. Looked heavily into saltwater, every single store said stay away from saltwater in hot tubs. I followed their advice and went back to the chlorine.
    If you follow manufacturers suggestions on chemical doses and frequency, the water will stay clear and not smell for longer than their recommended 3 month for water change out.

    Electricity: You're a Canuckian, get the 6" to 4" tapered cover, once the water is to temp, the heater doesn't run often or long.

    Cover: We're all getting older and have problems, spend the money and get the hydraulic lift for the cover. Learned that lesson this last tub. Went cheap, then bought the hydraulic lift.
    Wintertime, sweep the snow off the cover before attempting to open, yes, things can and will break. Knock icicles off before opening.

    Temperature: Summer I run 94 or 95 F, rest of year if nights are cool, I run at 104 F.


    Shower before you get in tub, make sure you are rinsed off completely. Attire, do NOT wash and use fabric softener every single time, the stuff doesn't rinse out 100% in washer and WILL screw up your tub balance. We usually use vinegar for wash and rinse, suits stay clean, no foaming in tub when you get in.

    Hope some or all of this helps you.
    http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/signaturepics/sigpic35693_1.gif


    ZRXOA #3699

  6. #36
    Beetle Bagged Hooligan
    KotF Firestarter

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central NY

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Rob,
    Just drink a shit ton of water, beer or Kool-aid, put the plug in the bath tub drain and piss alot.... invite the wife too.
    Cheaper & easy to clean

    Get better buddy, KOTF misses ya'!
    All I got.
    "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

    ZRXOA # 5243

  7. #37
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    Rob,
    Just drink a shit ton of water, beer or Kool-aid, put the plug in the bath tub drain and piss alot.... invite the wife too.
    Cheaper & easy to clean

    Get better buddy, KOTF misses ya'!
    All I got.
    You are an evil genius...

    Youíll see me again.

  8. #38
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggonenutz View Post
    Okay Caper, I'll bite.

    First and foremost, do NOT base your selection on how many people it seats.

    Climb into the display and sit in each seat. Water level generally is the bottom of head cushions at each seat.
    Now, are you submerged as much as you want to be without scrunching down into an uncomfortable position?
    If not, the spa is not going to help.

    Upkeep: On my third tub, have done bromine, am currently doing chlorine. Looked heavily into saltwater, every single store said stay away from saltwater in hot tubs. I followed their advice and went back to the chlorine.
    If you follow manufacturers suggestions on chemical doses and frequency, the water will stay clear and not smell for longer than their recommended 3 month for water change out.

    Electricity: You're a Canuckian, get the 6" to 4" tapered cover, once the water is to temp, the heater doesn't run often or long.

    Cover: We're all getting older and have problems, spend the money and get the hydraulic lift for the cover. Learned that lesson this last tub. Went cheap, then bought the hydraulic lift.
    Wintertime, sweep the snow off the cover before attempting to open, yes, things can and will break. Knock icicles off before opening.

    Temperature: Summer I run 94 or 95 F, rest of year if nights are cool, I run at 104 F.


    Shower before you get in tub, make sure you are rinsed off completely. Attire, do NOT wash and use fabric softener every single time, the stuff doesn't rinse out 100% in washer and WILL screw up your tub balance. We usually use vinegar for wash and rinse, suits stay clean, no foaming in tub when you get in.

    Hope some or all of this helps you.

    Some great advice... thanks, man.

  9. #39
    Moderator
    Thixotropic Hooligan

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    oscillating in TN ARK MISS

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Don't forget the outdoor pool. I snagged this from the curb, threw some hardware cloth and cement at it and put a cheap $50 Amazon filter on it, miniature swimming pool to cool off. Five years later it's a must.
    Attached Images  
    Do your own thing but don't touch mine.

    Avatar is my only wheelie pic unless you are on board.

    Member # 10

    Hal #8 RIP


  10. #40
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    UPDATE:

    Did a tent sale thingie last weekend to look at another brand of tub, Arctic Spa, and while it is Canadian made, it did not float our boat. Went back our original dealer to chat and found out they had a like-new tub coming in on consignment. It was only used one summer (2017) and then winterized, dissembled and put into storage. It is also made by Master Spa, like our first choice, and it is larger with more features along a two year warranty from the dealer. The price was too good to pass on. It still has to be transported to the dealer and then we can have a look. No final deal yet.

    http://legacywhirlpool.com/showroom/enterprise

    Name:  Enterprise_lg.png
Views: 76
Size:  116.1 KB

    Our deck guy came out a couple of evenings ago to take some measurements and find out what we want. Should have a quote by Tuesday. This is a holiday weekend here in Canuckia...

  11. #41
    Father Joe
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burpinham, Babalama

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Caper View Post
    UPDATE:

    Did a tent sale thingie last weekend to look at another brand of tub, Arctic Spa, and while it is Canadian made, it did not float our boat. Went back our original dealer to chat and found out they had a like-new tub coming in on consignment. It was only used one summer (2017) and then winterized, dissembled and put into storage. It is also made by Master Spa, like our first choice, and it is larger with more features along a two year warranty from the dealer. The price was too good to pass on. It still has to be transported to the dealer and then we can have a look. No final deal yet.

    http://legacywhirlpool.com/showroom/enterprise

    Attachment 313702

    Our deck guy came out a couple of evenings ago to take some measurements and find out what we want. Should have a quote by Tuesday. This is a holiday weekend here in Canuckia...
    Goodness that thing looks fun and relaxing. And will clean every last little nook-and-cranny of the human form.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

    The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

    Kwackifoofoo

  12. #42
    Moderator
    Thixotropic Hooligan

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    oscillating in TN ARK MISS

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Great news, your life is about to change.
    Do your own thing but don't touch mine.

    Avatar is my only wheelie pic unless you are on board.

    Member # 10

    Hal #8 RIP


  13. #43
    aka: The Flasher
    Inner Circle Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Near Charlotte North Carolina

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRISPY View Post
    If you pull the trigger, try to go salt water if you can to get away from chlorine.
    I worked in the pool ans spa industry for 15 years.
    Salt does not sanitize....you still need a sanituzer and for HOT water I reccommend Bromine....either tablets or granular.
    Salt is used to MAKE chlorine; a sanitizer but by itself is not a sanitizer.
    People who have salt pools have a salt generator and adding salt to the water makes chlorine.
    Current ride........bikeless at the moment.

    Past Pleasures
    1974 GT 380 Suzuki
    1982 GS750EZ Suzuki
    1985 V65 1100 Honda Sabre
    1986 VN750 Kawasaki Vulcan
    1994 VN750 Kawasaki Vulcan
    2002 ZRX 1200R Red of course
    2004 ZRX 1200R Another Red one
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST1050
    2007 Suzuki Bandit1250
    2008 Yamaha FJR1300

    May God Bless and Protect My Brothers and Sisters Who Ride With The Wind!

    F P miss you buddy!

    ZRX member # 3706

  14. #44
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Update:

    The hot tub/deck is still in the works. Our carpenter is busier than a hooker during shore leave... but, he tells us he can start our project at the end of August. We are going to lay a concrete pad for the hot tub and the deck will be done in red cedar. Should be nice

    We have gone in a different direction with the tub. We have made a private deal with the owner of the hot tub business to buy a smaller used tub (sold new 2015) that was lightly used by an older couple who wanted a larger tub. The business owner bought the tub personally so he could then sell the couple a new larger tub. We now buy the tub from the owner in a private sale = NO TAXES! Screw the government taxman...

    This tub is from a higher line, with better features and materials. Despite it's small size, it has two pumps and lots of therapeutic jets. Because it will be mainly the wife and I, this tub better suits our needs and at an amazing price. We will have to purchase a one-year warranty through the business as part of the deal, but that just gives us more peace of mind. The tub was only used three summers and was professional serviced each fall.

    https://www.masterspas.com/twilight/ts-240

  15. #45
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    47330

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Best advice is to buy used
    We bought a 3 year old Royal Spa for less than $2500 installed and a new cover. It was the top of the line when new and was used one year, drained and stored. The original owner paid over $9K for it new. There are a lot of people around this area that buy them, use them a year or so and just get uninterested. We use Bromine (lasts longer) with ours and do not have any issues, but it all depends on how your skin reacts to it versus chlorine.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrly View Post
    A lot of the fun is going out of this place at a real quick pace .

    Got a sloppy shifter? I can fix that
    http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222626



    Jims_rex 4430


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.7
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 PM.
vBulletin 4.0 skin by CompleteVB