+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45

Thread: Hot Tub Advice

  1. #1
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Hot Tub Advice

    Over the years Iíve come to realize the tremendous knowledge base that exists within the OA, and not just in the realm of motorcycles. Iíve seen countless threads on a myriad of topics where members have garnered valuable advice on non-motorcycle projects, which is why I start this thread.

    For the past 15 years Iíve lived with Ankylosing Spondylitis, a degenerative form of arthritis that is causing the lower disks in my back to fuse together. Except for the occasional Tylenol, I donít use meds; I refuse to go there. For the most part I function well during the day, but in the evening when I slowdown and sit, the stiffness and pain sets in. Which brings me to the idea of a hot tub.

    Our back deck needs replacing, so weíve decided to incorporate a hot tub in the plans. Weíve researched local dealers and have found a vendor we believe we can trust. We are looking for a four-person tub with lots of adjustable jets. The model we like so far is part of the Getaway series by Master Spas.

    http://www.hottubuniverse.com/product/ocho-rios-le/

    Iím sure many of you have infinite experience with hot tubs, so please give this hot tub rookie any and all advice that can help us through this project... thanks!

  2. #2
    Father Joe
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burpinham, Babalama

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Out of curiosity do you mean HOT TUB as in the real thing, which (I'm going back 35 years) means wood...as in....redwood? Or do you mean SPA which means fiberglass? Again, 35 year old nomenclature for me but if it is still technically accurate then you too can be accurate. I'm thinking you are referring to "spa."

    But hell, these days they may be referred to as Hot Tub Spas.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

    The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

    Kwackifoofoo

  3. #3
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    While they are made of various materials (fiberglass, polymers, etc.) they are still generically referred to as hot tubs... some people might say hot tub spa, but hot tub is still recognized... but, I'm not looking at the redwood tub type.

  4. #4
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    God's Country

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Have you consulted with your doctor? I had a touch of that during a temporary condition. I know how much it sucks. The heat is good for muscle but not for joint inflammation.

    My physical therapist told me that once the bones finally fuse the pain will go away. The idea was to get them to fuse straight. Thankfully the condition causing the symptoms went away.
    In the meanwhile she used to stretch my spine which helped tremendously the sciatica brought on by the spondylitis.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

  5. #5
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    Have you consulted with your doctor? I had a touch of that during a temporary condition. I know how much it sucks. The heat is good for muscle but not for joint inflammation.

    My physical therapist told me that once the bones finally fuse the pain will go away. The idea was to get them to fuse straight. Thankfully the condition causing the symptoms went away.
    In the meanwhile she used to stretch my spine which helped tremendously the sciatica brought on by the spondylitis.
    Both my GP and rheumatologist suggested heat might help with some of my pain, but I don't recall joint inflammation being mentioned. I'll bring it up with my doc when I see him in about three weeks. I sometimes I use a heated Magic Bag on my lower back and I find the warmth helps with the pain and stiffness.

  6. #6
    2009 Hooligan of the year
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    One thing that should not be overlooked is operating cost. If you have the option to go with propane (either existing gas service or possibly a propane tank), you should look into that to compare cost against electric. Heating water can be very expensive.

  7. #7
    Pine Tree DJ
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fleming Island, FL

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Keep stretching, try to stay as limber as possible for as long as you can.
    Had a few patients over the years with AS that didn't stretch much until it was too late. Hunched over, fused spine. Makes it difficult to fully inflate your lungs when you are hunched over.
    Sounds like you found out about it early enough to avoid a lot of the major problems that come along if you didn't know about it.

    Enjoy the hot tub! (Or spa, McGov....)


  8. #8
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by PT Matt View Post
    Keep stretching, try to stay as limber as possible for as long as you can.
    Had a few patients over the years with AS that didn't stretch much until it was too late. Hunched over, fused spine. Makes it difficult to fully inflate your lungs when you are hunched over.
    Sounds like you found out about it early enough to avoid a lot of the major problems that come along if you didn't know about it.

    Enjoy the hot tub! (Or spa, McGov....)

    Thanks, Matt...

    I've long since taken to heart the expression, "use it, or lose it"... I had a recent evaluation by my rheumatologist and her assessment was that I have loss little of my dexterity and range of motion over the last decade. However, the pain has not abated one bit; it's something I've learned to live with. I try to stay active and stretch things out...

  9. #9
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    One thing that should not be overlooked is operating cost. If you have the option to go with propane (either existing gas service or possibly a propane tank), you should look into that to compare cost against electric. Heating water can be very expensive.
    We have looked into the expected electricity increase and we are okay with the projected numbers. Same with other expenses like chemicals, filters and other scheduled maintenance. We don't do much travelling and don't currently own a boat or have a need for a cottage, so we've decided to indulge ourselves with a hot tub spa... there ya go, Joe

  10. #10
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Missssssipeee

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    It is fine Caper . Every cabin Iíve looked at or rented advertised the ď hot tub ď amenities.
    Sorta like Perkoís engine versus motor debate .
    What else would you expect from a reflector loviní ĎBama boy
    Apostrophe included at no charge
    WGARA........ (Thanks G).....
    Ytrap.......
    ZRXOA # 3545


    2001 BLACK ZRX !!!!
    2000 BMW k1200LT

    Faster black one! All other are green with envy.

  11. #11
    I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Montreal

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    If you pull the trigger, try to go salt water if you can to get away from chlorine.



    'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

  12. #12
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRISPY View Post
    If you pull the trigger, try to go salt water if you can to get away from chlorine.
    From what I read you will still have chlorine in your system. Salt water hot tubs operate using vast amounts of both bromine and chlorine salts. Your hot tub then has to break down and convert these chemical salts into usable bromine or chlorine.


    Are these saltwater tubs more expensive? I don't know anyone with one...

  13. #13
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    God's Country

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Caper View Post
    Both my GP and rheumatologist suggested heat might help with some of my pain, but I don't recall joint inflammation being mentioned. I'll bring it up with my doc when I see him in about three weeks. I sometimes I use a heated Magic Bag on my lower back and I find the warmth helps with the pain and stiffness.
    It was a long time ago. I recall joint inflammation being mentioned. I was taking anti inflammatory medication for it as well as other symptoms.

    I don't know if you've ever had your spine stretched by a PT but it is an incredible feeling almost as good as sex. It didn't hurt that the PT was my girlfriends smoking hot sister.

    I went to her house barely able to walk because my lower spine stiffness caused sciatica to flare up. She worked on me for about forty five minutes and I walked out of there with only 20% of the pain I had earlier. She loosed up my sacroiliac as well.

    She gave me stretching exercises as well. I have never had another flare up thank heavens.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

  14. #14
    Suffers from Mad Kaw disease
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    On a lovely tropical island near Ft. Wayne, IN

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    My wife suffers with degenerative arthritis.
    The meds started damaging her kidneys.
    This is what worked for her, she cut her meds down by 80%..

    www.quellrelief.com



    Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk


    YTRAP, G and Joe.... sure gonna miss you guys...

  15. #15
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by BlkZrx View Post
    My wife suffers with degenerative arthritis.
    The meds started damaging her kidneys.
    This is what worked for her, she cut her meds down by 80%..

    www.quellrelief.com



    Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, Iíve considered TENS in the past... Iíll look into Quell

  16. #16
    The Young and the 'Rex-less
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Howell, Mi

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Im in the same boat, building up the bachelor pad and need one here

    Following the thread. Ive set my budget at $7500. Been researching for a year now. Seems theyre all warrantied about the same, lot of it comes down to the best dealer in your area for any warranty or out of warranty repairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkra13 View Post
    Youngzrxer - the only guy that can sound like he's 13 and 80 years old in one post.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    Young'un was right on the mark with his opinions.

  17. #17
    triton who?
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville,Va

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Buy a good water test kit. Test daily until you can predict what your tub needs. Buy your chemicals in bulk online.. Avoid dealers like the plague.
    The measure of a grown man is not the steps he takes, but his ability to live with the consequences.

  18. #18
    Born In The USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Redding, CA.

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    There was one here when I got the house. I have used it once in a year. Up until his death, I had to share it with a mosquito.

    There is a setting to maintain the water by running the pump to filter it, and you can set the temp at what you like, but that cost $omething. If you get relief from pain, I would do it, but you may end up with a Seattle tan. That's where your skin looks like a prune after a while.

    I finally had the guys come out and get it ready for winter by draining it and disconnecting some pipes. If I didn't do that, I would have to keep it hot enough to not freeze.

    If I run into a hot tub mama, I will get it running again.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

    I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.



    2014 Ninja 1000

    2005 ZX10

    1981 GPz550

  19. #19
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lake Hartwell and I-85

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Former hot tub owner here. Mine was acrylic plastic, and we used bromine based chemicals. It was a big one (8 seater) with twin 5 hp pumps. We set up a privacy fence enclosure in the back yard and I built a synthetic lumber deck to put it on. So we could enjoy it day and night, I put up a canopy for shade. My wife and son loved it.

    Lessons learned...

    1. Chemicals are expensive. Water chemistry is a PITA for maintenance.
    2. Tree frogs love to crawl under the edge of the cover and enjoy the tub too!
    3. Tree frogs spoil the romance.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Surfdancer; 06-18-2019 at 06:04 AM.


    New Rules, Can't Say...

  20. #20
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Perth Australia

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    HOT TUB ADVICE

    Never get drunk in a hot tub with your wife's attractive younger sister.


    Acceleration - 1109JE pistons, ZX11 Cams & rockers, ported head, CNC Valve job, CVK40 carbs, F/Pro kit, Tsukigi exhaust, dyna ignition, Ape clutch,
    Handling - ZX14 front end, and clutch, ZX6 swingarm, ZX10 wheels, brembo rc19 master, braided lines, Works shocks,
    Bling - Custom radiator, trainlight with HID, Jason bar end mirrors, dickstand & pulsar cover, Poshfaith sprocket cover, Sgt seat, Teds battery out, Mark444 S/S Kit..

  21. #21
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder View Post
    HOT TUB ADVICE

    Never get drunk in a hot tub with your wife's attractive younger sister.
    I say, was she a goer, nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, know what I mean

  22. #22
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    In my op I gave a link to the top contender in our search for a hot tub. Chris, I'm still looking into saltwater systems, but the jury is still out.

    Master Spa is the manufacturer of our current choice. Did a little looking and found this:

    Master Spas is based in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Operating out of a state-of-the-art, 32-acre campus, we are the largest swim spa manufacturer in the world, and largest portable spa and hot tub manufacturer that makes 100% of our product in the USA.


    Many of the other companies buy parts/components from China and assemble them in North America.

  23. #23
    I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Montreal

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Caper View Post
    From what I read you will still have chlorine in your system. Salt water hot tubs operate using vast amounts of both bromine and chlorine salts. Your hot tub then has to break down and convert these chemical salts into usable bromine or chlorine.


    Are these saltwater tubs more expensive? I don't know anyone with one...

    Good to know, I'll have to investigate more myself. I never really investigated salt water hot tubs, only a quick searches on salt water pools when I get tired of smelling like chlorine.



    'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

  24. #24
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRISPY View Post
    Good to know, I'll have to investigate more myself. I never really investigated salt water hot tubs, only a quick searches on salt water pools when I get tired of smelling like chlorine.
    The chemical footprint is smaller, but the downside is doesn't have the same sanitizing power and algae can build up in the internal plumbing as a result. Also, the increased risk of corrosion is holding me back, along with adding about $1200+ to the price. The regular unit we are considering is about at the limit of my wife's comfort zone, given that we are also putting in a new multi-level deck.

  25. #25
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Buy a good water test kit. Test daily until you can predict what your tub needs. Buy your chemicals in bulk online.. Avoid dealers like the plague.
    Sounds good to me, thanks mister...

  26. #26
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Central NY

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    I like the idea of the hot tub spa's you can swim in

    Ö those seem to be the best of both worlds

    - inground pool / swim in place v laps - then the spa jets for muscles too

  27. #27
    Moderator
    Thixotropic Hooligan

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    oscillating in TN ARK MISS

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    I have used one twice a day for 19 years. Cheap "Jacuzzi" at Home Depot. The motor went after 2 years, the Balboa Heat Pac 3500 lasted about 8 years. The key is to know throughly what you are dealing with when you treat water. If comsetics, lotion, hair products are introduced in large quantity it can be a real game of jumping and chemical bumps. Never allow clothing or bating suits or you have to use a lot of other additives to cancel out the surfactants, this makes cleaning the filter harder.

    I use a small plastic spoon to add the chlorine (granulated: each purchase different strength) each and every time I use it, I usually add 1/3 f of the spoon not rounded. This eats what I just left behind, mainly oil and salt. The filter gets removed and back flushed with warm water ever 3 or 4 weeks. Sock fuzz and hair. If I don't use it I have a full day, two cycles to catch up or it will turn and run away from you, you never know how to catch it and it bounces all over the place and produces weird byproducts. Think of a swimming pool turning green but in odor, the water just gets cloudy in a hot tub, you get the idea.

    This is the most balanced routine I have come up with and has proven itself reliable. Yours will be different based on diet and number of people. I think ever person should have their own private tub and learn the ease of use.

    Good Luck, around $1.25 a day on 110 volt commercial rates.

    PM me with questions if you want.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by ClayX; 06-19-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    Do your own thing but don't touch mine.

    Avatar is my only wheelie pic unless you are on board.

    Member # 10

    Hal #8 RIP


  28. #28
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Clay, thanks for the response and your insights. There is no substitute for experience.

    Our estimate of power consumption is right inline with your experience, $1.25 per day...

  29. #29
    Trapper John
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Springfield, VA

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    I've been using one for 11 years now and as an old Static line and Halo jumper with 6K plus exits/jumps its a God send. At 58 the rucking, running and jumping are catching up with me.

    I have an old Tiger Spa its been rebuilt once and is a quality model. I use a very simple chemical kit. (I'll get you the name) It treats the water for a month and you add 1 chlorine tablet a day. The monthly mix keeps all other chemical levels spot on. Pretty simple.
    Clay is right always shower before going in, swim suits can cloudy the water from your routine laundry detergent. If you have privacy, just like Naked Fly Fishing, Naked Hot Tubing is the best with a female buddy!

    Enjoy!

    Zdaneman sends
    zdaneman
    Curve Carver !!

  30. #30
    Cape Breton Barbarian
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Scotland

    Re: Hot Tub Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by zdaneman View Post
    I've been using one for 11 years now and as an old Static line and Halo jumper with 6K plus exits/jumps its a God send. At 58 the rucking, running and jumping are catching up with me.

    I have an old Tiger Spa its been rebuilt once and is a quality model. I use a very simple chemical kit. (I'll get you the name) It treats the water for a month and you add 1 chlorine tablet a day. The monthly mix keeps all other chemical levels spot on. Pretty simple.
    Clay is right always shower before going in, swim suits can cloudy the water from your routine laundry detergent. If you have privacy, just like Naked Fly Fishing, Naked Hot Tubing is the best with a female buddy!

    Enjoy!

    Zdaneman sends
    Any system that is effective and streamlines the maintenance is something that appeals to this noob. Do post up the product...

    The showering before makes sense and will become my routine. Although thereís nothing but privacy in my backyard


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.7
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 AM.
vBulletin 4.0 skin by CompleteVB