+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New, but just to this Board

Pleasantly eating dinner....

So the restaurant manager goes table to table asking if anyone drove a motorcycle, we go outside and there is my zrx laying in a pool of broken green plastic, red and yellow broken lens covers and about two gallons of gas, oil and antifreeze. She says she doesnít want the police or insurance companies involved and that her company will pay for all the damages, but she needs an estimate before she can write me a check. Every part that has damage has been discontinued by Kawasaki, does anyone have any advice, or should I just tell her $6000.00 should cover it, there is one a couple towns away for sale, turbocharged I believe!
    Thanks in advance.

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Pleasantly eating dinner....

Sorry to hear that bro...
    No matter what, you should have filed a police report and exchanged insurance info. Even if you decided to settle it on the side with the restaurant manager.
    Although the parts are mostly discontinued, your local Kawi dealer still has the retail price of those parts. Have them print up a full retail parts/repair estimate regardless and present it to the restaurant. Good luck

BadAss Hooligan

Btw, how did it get knocked over? Did one of her staff hit it in a vehicle owned by the restaurant?

I hope you took lots of pictures with the bike still lying on the ground and lots of detailed pics of the damage.

In Charge of McGov Only

10 grand, or you call the insurance company

Sorry for the confusion, young lady in a brand new truck, pulled into a parking stall where my bike was parked and hit my motorcycle real good, I think it was laying about 3 stalls away from where I parked it, the woman was in a roofing companyís brand new truck and was on the phone with her boss when I walked out to the parking lot, she said she was authorized to write me a check for the damages, on the spot. I told her I had no idea how much it was going to cost to fix it and we exchanged information. The reason the police were not called was because we were on private property, so the cops couldnít do anything, anyhow. Sorry for the confusion.

BadAss Hooligan

Hmmm.....strange. That must be the laws in Nebraska. Here in CT, you are ALWAYS required to file a police report, no matter where it happened. Otherwise, it can just end up in a never ending "He said" "She said" situation. This way, there is a written report (often with indication of who was at fault) only a few minutes after it happened. Memories start getting hazy, and stories can change 2 or 3 weeks down the road.

BadAss Hooligan

If it's thrown the bike 3 spaces the frame is probably bent, which would write it off (if going through insurance). Even though it is on private property the police should be called because of the amount of damage and the insurance company need a police report.
    On the other hand IF they are going to pay for it go for full retail cost of all the parts needed and see what they say. As I'm sure you know the parts will come to more than what the complete bike is worth. If they pay up then you get to decide if it's worth rebuilding or buy another one.
    Good luck.

Calamity Gil

Sorry about your bike. Iím with Pete, $10K. Those darn female drivers
    ZRXOA membr #8704
    "It is not the strong but the responsive that survive."

BOTM Feb '13

2009 Hooligan of the year

Ugh, that sucks bad.

Police report or not, hopefully you took some pics to document the scene of the crime. As suggested above, a priced out parts list will help back you up when you do hit them up for payment. The $6k figure you pitched out isnít out of line at all. Sure hope they donít try to jerk you around and just cut the check. Good luck!

2009 Hooligan of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Racer Gil View Post
    Sorry about your bike. Iím with Pete, $10K. Those darn female drivers
    The wife and I came very close to being creamed yesterday in a parking lot while on the ZRX, by a male driver in a minivan. He was driving across the parking lot (far too fast) with his head in the glove box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadAss Hooligan

Sorry about your Rex!!!!! Hope you get it resolved satisfactorily

The problem is with all drivers on the phone!!! Same as Drunk Driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

If you go through the insurance company all they will pay you is what you would get for your bike if you were to sell it, not what you think it's worth or the actual cost to rebuild it.
    So they would look at eBay, Craigslist, and locally and offer you the lowest price they find as a starting point. It will be much less than $6000.

You should try and get a written estimate for rebuilding in case the owner starts to backtrack but I think $6000 US would be good. Sucks I know. If you take back the old bike as well, the motor is still good as well as other parts, so there is that.
    The owner certainly doesn't want his insurance rates to go up but one thing is also certain, the longer you wait, the more the owner will try to get out of this as cheaply as possible.

I'd take the $6 or $7000, go to the owners bank and get cash immediately, plus the broken bike and call it a day.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

BadAss Hooligan

That much damage you might consider buying a good used bike and transferring the "mods" you have to it. You may end up with a lot spares you could keep or sell.
    02' ORANGE!

Originally Posted by CinKo

"Apparently Titanium to Kawasaki
    Has become what Chrome is to Harley..."

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Ti = Sex

huckleberry squarepants

6K is not out of line at all. Call back today and give them that figure. If they balk, then do the itemized list that comes to 6K when labor is figured in. I am guessing they will just write the check. That gives you the advantage of having a bike with a clear title. Re-build titles are always hard to move.

CRACKERMAN

I hate parking where I cant see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Isaac is NOT a zrx purist.

BadAss Hooligan

no cops, oh well,
    but still many pictures and at least 2 witnesses that heard her admit it was her fault, and
    she would pay.
    If you want something you never had,
    You have to do something you've never done.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by the-atc-kid View Post
    Hmmm.....strange. That must be the laws in Nebraska. Here in CT, you are ALWAYS required to file a police report, no matter where it happened. Otherwise, it can just end up in a never ending "He said" "She said" situation. This way, there is a written report (often with indication of who was at fault) only a few minutes after it happened. Memories start getting hazy, and stories can change 2 or 3 weeks down the road.
    ^ this

Same in Va. Without a police report, youíre case wonít be very strong. They take down peopleís statements and draw out diagrams/take measurements

I would take pic of her truck license plate drivers license phone number etc... until check cleared if going the no police report route

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Yep. Here in Mississippi, if your on private property, most times cops won't even come if called. Seen this first hand .
    Pics,and witnesses........
    Good luck.
    WGARA........ (Thanks G).....
    Ytrap.......
    ZRXOA # 3545

2001 BLACK ZRX !!!!
    2000 BMW k1200LT

Faster black one! All other are green with envy.

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

Sorry to hear about your bike. You should have called the police, private property or not. Documentation (of any kind) is always a good thing.

Hope she cuts you a check and didn't have a chance to sleep on it.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

Quote Originally Posted by the-atc-kid View Post
    This is not required in California for property damage, but it's a good idea. That said, I don't always follow my own advice. I was at Costco recently waiting for the gas pump and a guy just backs into the front of my car (for once, not a rear-ender--the car is an idiot magnet) and we just exchanged information and I called right away and made a claim to his company, AAA, which was a pleasure to deal with. Just property damage.

But, yeah, if she later denies it to avoid losing her job, you'll wish you had a police report.

It sounds like your bike is, perhaps, a total loss. A shop would prepare an estimate for you based on getting some unobtanium parts off Ebay or whatever. In CA the responsible party is only required to pay the lesser of the diminution in value or cost of repairs. Unless you can make the case that your ZRX was somehow unique. Customization, etc. Your mileage may vary.
    ďIs life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!Ē Patrick Henry, American patriot.

"Red is faster of course" 8/5/19 Ca Pete acknowledges the obvious.

King of Kazmania

Well, since no one has asked, I will...

Was she hot?

GLWO

" 'tis far better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
    - Someone

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on,
    or by imbeciles who really mean it."
    - Someone else

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, DO WHAT YOU SAY

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by kazman View Post

Was she hot?

GLWO

You are such a refreshing idiotic knucklehead. I still do want to marry you.

I 2nd the nomination: WAS SHE HOT????? Clarification: no need to answer this if you don't believe "she" emerged from the womb as a true split tail.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

Father Joe

Back on subject.

Was you bike parked at the top of the parking stall? Often times habit (bad) is to pull into an empty striped car parking spot and park the bike at the end/bottom of the spot. If there's cars on either side a douche driver can often look and say "oh, there's a spot" and barrel into it since from that distance it looks empty (bike is at the back/bottom).

When compelled to park in a congested car parking lot I park the bike at the TOP of the spot. Where it's visibility is maximized.

What a sucky situation.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

TMZ of the ZRXOA

I rarely ride my bike and end up parking in a parking lot for whatever reason. That's not to say though, that I don't stop at a store while on a ride.

If I do, I go out of my way to find a secure spot to park my bike. That spot may be on the side of a store, maybe I'll pull up onto the walk in front of the store, or I'll park in a spot that says no parking.

If I do park my bike to go into a store, it's only for a few minutes at best. I don't leave my bike unattended for very long. I've been practicing this for almost 50 yrs. or so. I've never had an incident with my bike.

While living in OR. though, back in 2008, my brother and I were on a ride and we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. We both parked our bikes in one space in the parking lot. Our bikes were staggered and well within our space.

Some dolt in a Dodge 4x4 pick-up pulled into the space next to ours. He parked so damn close to my bike, my clutch lever was almost touching the side of his truck. I couldn't even mount my bike from the left side. I had to stand on the right side of it and inch it forward to get it away from the truck.

I was mad as could be. He purposely parked his truck in such a way as he make it hard for me. Once I had my bike clear of his POS truck, I went to the opposite side and removed the core from the valve stem in one of his tires. I gave the core a good toss and we were on our way.

Don't get me wrong, I don't make a habit of this kind of behavior. This was a one time exception to the rule. The idiot needed to be taught a lesson, and he just happened to pick the right guy to teach him one.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    Back on subject.

Was you bike parked at the top of the parking stall? Often times habit (bad) is to pull into an empty striped car parking spot and park the bike at the end/bottom of the spot.
    ^ This is when I do.

Have the end of a bike where a car would sit. Same w/smart cars. Iíve seen them park at the end so the cars can see them and donít come screaming into the parking spot. Guy in my complex parks is Ducati all the way up at the top of the spot heís just asking for it

My friend Parks his 650 up in the sidewalk area oftentimes on brick pavers but I believe thatís illegal, he got a ticket in DC for parking on the sidewalk, Plus I donít trust some bricks sitting on dirt to support the REX which Is heavier than his 650
    Last edited by Cundalini; 06-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

Super Moderator
    I is Approving Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    Back on subject.

Was you bike parked at the top of the parking stall? Often times habit (bad) is to pull into an empty striped car parking spot and park the bike at the end/bottom of the spot. If there's cars on either side a douche driver can often look and say "oh, there's a spot" and barrel into it since from that distance it looks empty (bike is at the back/bottom).

When compelled to park in a congested car parking lot I park the bike at the TOP of the spot. Where it's visibility is maximized.

What a sucky situation.
    Visibility wasn't the problem, his bike was knocked 3 stall spaces away from where it was parked.. but your advice is spot on.

rezrokit, I hope you get fully compensated for your bike and the time it takes you to get a replacement..

Sometimes I forget people can see me make the jerk off motion when they're talking to me...

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by kazman View Post

Was she hot?

GLWO

Golden corral hot or Peter Lugers steak house hot?There's a difference.

She was pretty hot, and I parked so that cars could see my bike before they tried to pull in. I talked to her tonight with a list of parts that were damaged and she acted like I pissed in her Cheerios. No remorse or sorry-ness at all, almost like I was bothering her, and she said she needs a typed estimate via email listing every part, part number, description of partand price of part that was damaged so she could give it to their accountant so they could decide what they would pay for. I feel like showing up at her office tomorrow morning and reminding her that she fucked up and crashed my prized possession and that it wasnt me that crashed her brand new $70,000 truck into my motorcycle and to go fuck herself and look up all those discontinued parts herself, Iíve already spent probably 15 hours tracking down part numbers and prices and shit.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Yup.....she had a chance to sleep on it.

Stuffed Up

Yeah nah, straight to the cops I say. Even though it's on private property it's still a legal matter. I'd be getting it notified to Insurance companies ASAP, even if it's just your own to start with.

Typing up quote with estimates etc is not your job.

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting