+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CarlM

Does anyone use a gps on their bike?

I'm not into cell phones and tech stuff bare in mind. I bought a wife a TomTom years ago and I keep that in the truck for when I am on trips. I bought her a Garmin a couple years ago but I have never used it. Her new car has one built in . Haven't used it but maybe twice.
    so, I bought a used bike. It has a Garmin 610 on it. I played with it a little . Last night I noticed that the altitude for our town was high. was 103 out side I looked at it a minute and it said 103.5 and a foot higher. Put the bike away.

So today I was chatting and I told the know it all negative asshole at work that I think my GPS has a barometer for altitude. He said you don't know shit about how they work. Does anyone even use one anymore? everything is on a cell phone. I bet Garmin isn't in business any more. I said I've seen bikes with GPS on. He said did you look? I am sure it was a phone on the bike. ( does have a barometer)

So, the young guy that DOES ride an M/C was looking at the bike. He said that Montana is cool. Said he wanted one for dirt biking. I told him "Mike" said no one uses them, cell phone is better. He said bullshit. You loose signal. Mike said why the hell do you even need a GPS on a dirt bike?

The guy I bought the bike from lived in the mountains. the wife was texting and sending pics on the way home. Twice she said she lost signal in the mts.

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

Stuffed Up

Re: Does anyone use a gps on their bike?

I have GPS Speedo in my Streetfighter ZRX and one in my scooter, very accurate.

As for proper GPS Maps etc - yes I use that a lot. I run WAZE and pipe it into my helmet via my Sena. I dont listen to music or take calls, but when there are cops or cameras coming up she tells me.

I dont know anyone using a dedicated GPS these days though, everyone just uses phones.

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

BadAss Hooligan

i have the smallest TomTom they made a couple years ago for my bike when I leave the area and yes satellite is great except for when in urban areas with tall buildings or bad cloud cover. Other than that, it works great. It is another item so if you have a full data plan on your phone, I don't, then you could just use google maps or google road or some other phone navigating feature and not hve to have a seperate navigating feature. TomTom gives the free map updates as well
    Last edited by Cundalini; 06-07-2019 at 12:26 AM.

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

I've had a dedicated GPS on my ZRX for may years. These units have been "el cheapo" Chinese units bought over Alibarba and all worked fine. TomTom and Navman are available here in Oz but their prices are just ridiculous.

I am now on my 4th dedicated GPS unit. My earlier ones were all Windows CE based but that operating system is no longer being supported, so I have recently upgraded to an Android based dedicated GPS unit. The unit has Bluetooth for my Sena unit, plus WiFi so that I can down load most apps from the Google Play Store, just like any mobile phone.

I have even set up my mobile phone, which I carry in the tail-bag, as a "hot-spot" so that I can use Waze app, which I downloaded onto my GPS unit, when in the cities and iGo Navigator when outside telephone coverage. I guess I only use Waze when I'm on the main highways going "point to point". iGo Navigator is a far better navigation system that is far easy to set up with multiple via-points or chnages on the planned route.

Most phone based navigation apps, like Waze and Google Maps, require internet/telephone network access, so as soon as you get out of range, which is pretty easy here in Oz, they become useless.

If all your riding is in a big city/town then maybe a phone navigation system would be Ok, but I'll stick with a dedicated GPS.

As the old AmEx television advert said, " I would not leave home without one".
    Last edited by Murphyau; 06-07-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    2005 ZRX1200 - Another fast green one.
    2003 ZRX1200 - A fast green one but I zigged when I should have zagged. R.I.P

President of the ZRXOA

Waze

Cops, accidents, potholes, objects on the road, all provided real time.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyau View Post
    Most phone based navigation apps, like Waze and Google Maps, require internet/telephone network access, so as soon as you get out of range, which is pretty easy here in Oz, they become useless.
    I just did Brissy > Sydney and back with a few stops - didnt lose signal once.

Ran Waze the whole time and it pinged me probably a good 30 times, all were spot on bar one that was for a car that had obviously left (so i updated it)

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    I just did Brissy > Sydney and back with a few stops - didnt lose signal once.

Ran Waze the whole time and it pinged me probably a good 30 times, all were spot on bar one that was for a car that had obviously left (so i updated it)
    On the highway, Waze is fine and as I said I do use it then because there is full mobile phone coverage, but try going through the Nimboyda Valley or out through Oallen / Windellama and Waze will stop working. Get half way and decide to try a new route and you are up ship creek.

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyau View Post
    On the highway, Waze is fine and as I said I do use it then because there is full mobile phone coverage, but try going through the Nimboyda Valley or out through Oallen / Windellama and Waze will stop working. Get half way and decide to try a new route and you are up ship creek.
    Never heard of those places! "laff" I am going to assuming they are out WhoopWhoop???

BadAss Hooligan

Exactly. WhoopWhoop would be a big town compared to those 2 places I mention. Trouble is, both places are great motorcycle back-roads without any mobile phone coverage for 50 ~80 kms so Waze, which only holds data in its cache for 25 km range, soon stops "navigating".

If you get down to Grafton sometime, consider doing the Nymboyda Valley, which is between Grafton & Ebor. Great little road.

Devilsí Advocate

TomTom app in my iFone 6.
    Completely non-cell reliant. A true gps.
    With zero cell signal it still works perfect.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

I've had a TomTom unit mounted on my Versys 1000 for three years & it's done great.
    I still use maps in my tank bag when on the road but in town the GPS is handy.
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

Hooligan

Garmin dedicated GPS for my cars.
    It came in handy when we did the lap around Australia a couple of years back, never lost a signal, unlike on our phones.
    I always take it along overseas, such as when we went to Hawaii not long ago, and rented cars here and there. Never got lost.
    Even found Woopwoop in Queensland.
    Mine doesn't have a barometer on it though that I know of.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Down Under View Post
    Garmin dedicated GPS for my cars.
    It came in handy when we did the lap around Australia a couple of years back, never lost a signal, unlike on our phones.
    I always take it along overseas, such as when we went to Hawaii not long ago, and rented cars here and there. Never got lost.
    Even found Woopwoop in Queensland.
    Mine doesn't have a barometer on it though that I know of.
    No Whoop whoop here, definitely a lot of BumFuck Idaho's though :D

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Waze

Cops, accidents, potholes, objects on the road, all provided real time.
    Waze is great, although I use it more for highway driving around the NE than I do on the bike. Partly because there's no traffic and very few cops around most of where I ride within a couple hours of home, and partly because I like to listen to music while I ride (Spotify), and for whatever reason the Waze alerts are way louder than the music. Irritates me.

Hooligan

Garmin Nuvi here... I ride in the mountains where there is no cell tower coverage at times. Works really well.
    The only problem I'm having is the vibration tends to wiggle loose the USB cable in the back of the unit.
    I haven't attempted to improve this yet, but for now it's not bad at all. Very useful.
    Another key reason I use it vs. the phone, is you can navigate the menus with your gloves on. Unlike my phone. (You can get that conductive thread for your gloves, but I don't bother.)

Name:  47748704422_152890d115.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  60.3 KB
    1999 ZRX1100
    Few odds and ends:

Look at the universe. The stars keep their order. The trees and plants grow upwards without exception the waters flow. Be like this. -Lao Tzu

No More Clowns
    relocating..... USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by green12 View Post
    I'm not into cell phones and tech stuff bare in mind. I bought a wife a TomTom years ago and I keep that in the truck for when I am on trips. I bought her a Garmin a couple years ago but I have never used it. Her new car has one built in . Haven't used it but maybe twice.
    so, I bought a used bike. It has a Garmin 610 on it. I played with it a little . Last night I noticed that the altitude for our town was high. was 103 out side I looked at it a minute and it said 103.5 and a foot higher. Put the bike away.

So today I was chatting and I told the know it all negative asshole at work that I think my GPS has a barometer for altitude. He said you don't know shit about how they work. Does anyone even use one anymore? everything is on a cell phone. I bet Garmin isn't in business any more. I said I've seen bikes with GPS on. He said did you look? I am sure it was a phone on the bike. ( does have a barometer)

So, the young guy that DOES ride an M/C was looking at the bike. He said that Montana is cool. Said he wanted one for dirt biking. I told him "Mike" said no one uses them, cell phone is better. He said bullshit. You loose signal. Mike said why the hell do you even need a GPS on a dirt bike?

The guy I bought the bike from lived in the mountains. the wife was texting and sending pics on the way home. Twice she said she lost signal in the mts.
    I have a bmw nav 6..... (Garmin 660) for my bike. I used it on the drive to Texas from CA... They are useful for a number of reasons. It sounds like the negative guy has a tiny peepee.

When it's hooked up to the bike, it gives me a wealth of info, like elevation, speed, avg speed, distance traveled, bike temp, mileage, miles to empty and a bunch of other stuff... also... it almost never loses signal. Similar stuff in the car. GPS is still useful for sure!
    Last edited by Derro; 06-07-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

BadAss Hooligan

Thereís is a MC specific TomTom that has features like picking a route based on a variety of factors and different displays but it cost almost 4x what my repurposed car TomTom did

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/motorcycle/

My issue is having it handlebar mounted, it bakes in the sun. A better model than mine would have Bluetooth voice command so you wouldnít even have to have the unit exposed to the suns rays once you have your route entered. (you can see the plastic cup on the back of mine for using in a car but that pops right off for when I use it on the MC)

Last edited by Cundalini; 06-07-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Father Joe

Interesting. NO Garmin Zumo mentioned by anybody.

Here in The States Waze is unbelievable (it's a Google product). As Arash mentioned the "stuff" that it reports (courtesy of other Waze folks in front of you) is stunningly accurate.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

Devilsí Advocate

My TomTom app cost...ready...$35.99....one time.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    My TomTom app cost...ready...$35.99....one time.
    That would be good for our m8ís Down Under especially if they have a VAT,like the EU, raising the price of items.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    Interesting. NO Garmin Zumo mentioned by anybody.

Here in The States Waze is unbelievable (it's a Google product). As Arash mentioned the "stuff" that it reports (courtesy of other Waze folks in front of you) is stunningly accurate.
    Is it a subscription service or does it require full data and/or signal on a phone?

I heard of it before and downloaded it once but for some reason I didnít use it. I donít know

BadAss Hooligan

Hi Carl. Not sure if anyone else answered this already but Garmin is very much still relevant: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into...Sports-p0.html
    They are relatively famous in water sports (sailing, navigation...)

Phone carriers and GPS use different technologies that now "speak" to each other. Thus making your "smart" phone also a GPS unit with specific Apps mentioned by others here.

Me and my buddies use Scenic app by mototmappers for long road trips in the mountains. It works without phone reception after you set your trip up. you can download maps of the areas traveled, load routes that other used and track your trip, share it, add local points of interests...
    https://www.motomappers.com/
    Waze is my favorite commuter app.

Just remember that all these require regular updates! A 2yo GPS unit will not have updated roads, directions... if you don't "plug" it in regularly.
    Whatever you use, it'll require some prep/set up time.
    Member # 10024 - 99 ZRX1100
    Les Coqs Sauvages - We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us...
    "A little extra is never enoughÖtoo much is just right..." - KWICK

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

I've used a series of cheap Garmin car GPS's over the years. Killed a couple, not because they got wet (they did) but due to the USB ports going bad. Last month, I received a Garmin Zumo 396 from Shell650 as an early birthday gift. The earlier Zumo's were very pricey for what you got but these lastest versions finally have all the features I was looking for (although they are still pricey). The smartphone integration now works really well and it's nice having a GPS with a bright screen, works well with gloves and acts as a hub for the Sena communicators, reads texts to me, shows live weather rain radar, live traffic, mp3 player, etc......

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

GPS is a 3d system. It uses as many satellites as possible to determine your position lat/long/altitude. It's less accurate in altitude than it is in lat/ long with the altitude accuracy at +- 75 feet. Some GPS's have a barometer to increase the altitude accuracy.

I do use a dedicated GPS. I have a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S. Here's what I posted about it after having used it for ~5000 miles:

Previously I was disappointed in this GPS. Itís ability to search for an address is sorely lacking. You can search on your phone and send it to the GPS but thatís not something you can do without pulling off the road, etc. For riding around your local area you can probably do a lot better.

What I found on this trip was for the kind of riding Iím looking for - sport touring heavy on the sport side, finding the most fun roads around to ride, etc.

I finally figured out how to setup a route in basecamp and load it to the GPS. Itís kind of a clunky system but it works. Previous to figuring it out I couldnít find anyone online that had successfully done that.

What it works best for though is to set the Garmin adventurous routes on and turn highways all the way down and turns and hills all the way up. I found a lot of roads that were a blast to ride that I wouldnít have found without it.

Iíve also figured out how to transfer trails back to basecamp to map trips. Again itís kinda clunky but works.

I did start to have some trouble on this trip with it disconnecting from power for some reason. It also will occasionally (VERY occasionally) reboot. Bluetooth connection sometimes drops - but I canít say for sure if thatís the Garmin or the Cardo PackTalk slim I have.

Name:  972A4A30-6A56-48FB-B718-B696C5CEF3A7.jpeg
Views: 104
Size:  3.31 MB
    Last edited by Steve St.Laurent; 06-07-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Hooligan

Fellow basecamp user here. If you haven't already, check out Calimoto.
    You can create routes based on the most winding roads, then use Basecamp to transfer them over.

https://calimoto.com/en/motorcycle-trip-planner

1999 ZRX1100
    Few odds and ends:

Look at the universe. The stars keep their order. The trees and plants grow upwards without exception the waters flow. Be like this. -Lao Tzu

Hooligan

...I bet Garmin isn't in business any more.

Garmin is still in business and doing just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You are dead a long time, so enjoy the time you have while you are alive"

BadAss Hooligan

Let us know what you decide to get w/pic/s

I personally think satellite will be better, in the long run, if/when bug- out day arrives Name:  onoz-omg.gif
Views: 84
Size:  46.5 KB not to mention it works even if you dont pay your cellie �� bill
    Last edited by Cundalini; 06-07-2019 at 05:18 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

Garmin is HUGE in aviation, car GPS could go away and it would not bother their bottom line one bit.

Also big in commercial GPS, a car GPS can't be used safely in an 18 wheeler at 80K Gross Wt.... most truck/bridge accident stories have" the driver was following his GPS" in them, what they don't say is he took it out of his car.

I have a Garmin 595, it is water and vibration resistant, it has a motorcycle mode so it treats a bike differently than a car, for example no U turns on a bike will be given as instructions

It also feds into my radio on the chrome turd, so it acts as a phone interface, MP3 player and puts turn by turn directions into the speakers... it will over ride any other audio source to make sure you hear the turn instruction.

Waze is great for traffic info, Google Maps are good, and Google owns Waze. But I prefer a stand alone GPS with updated maps.

On the C14 I put the GPS on a ram mount and peek at it occasionally
    ZRX 1200R 7/2003 -5/15/2015 (sold to a good home)

ZZR1200 April 2009 -September 2014 (dealer trade in)

2017 Concours 14 ( June 2018 -current)
    HD 2013 FLHTK Stage 4 ( Sept 2014-Current)
    HD 2003 FLHTCI cammed. closed loop FI, upgraded suspension ( Sept 2005 - current)

Hooligan

Garmin Zumo 660 that i use on all of my bikes.Never fails.
    ZRXOA #008987
    ZRXOA #027289

Never ride dirty

CarlM

Quote Originally Posted by Cundalini View Post
    Let us know what you decide to get w/pic/s

I personally think satellite will be better, in the long run, if/when bug- out day arrives Attachment 312534 not to mention it works even if you dont pay your cellie 📱 bill
    The bike I just bought came with one. That is what started the conversation with the know it all at work. Garmin 610 Montana

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy