+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford Maverick

aka The Streak

Ford Maverick

Last month was the Maverick's 50th birthday. I've had 4 over the years. My first was a hand-me-down 70 Grabber from my step-dad. He bought it when we moved to Florida in 76. It was Grabber Blue with a 200/6 with a three on the tree. I used to abuse that car when I was 16. I would always screw up the shifter linkage from powershifting second. Jammed that baby into reverse many times! My SD finally went to the parts store and got a floor shifter linkage. He cut a huge hole in the floorboard and use a 3' threaded rod with a cheap shifter knob on it. I used to hide it in the back of the school parking lot to avoid my buddies in Camaros, Mustangs, Chevelles. I parked with the Valiants and Ramblers. It was the car of all those driving firsts. Things like lawn jobs, losing control in the rain, learning oversteer on dirt roads. Pulling friends' cars out of different stuck situations. Can't forget first dates! I had big dumb kid dreams for that car. Got out of the Army, and my SD had sold the old Maverick. I was driving a 67 Chevelle then divorce happened. Lost the little I had and was back in a white rusted out 70-72. Forgot the year but it was a small bumper car. Drove that until I ran across a mint red 70-72 that I drove until I wrecked it my first time driving in freezing conditions in Connecticut. That was in 88, I think.

It's 2015, and I had just moved back to Florida from New Mexico. I was going back out to NM clear out my storage. My f150 picked up a nasty exhaust leak and CEL just outside of Amarillo. Limped into Santa Fe and called a repair shop that specializes in Fords. I'd used them a couple times. When I pulled in, I instantly saw the Maverick. Pulled up and all I could think was this is nicer than the Maverick my SD bought in 76! I circled it a couple times pretty blown away. I walked into the office and started telling the secretary my old Maverick stories. She said, "You're just the person she's looking to sell it to". I needed to get back to Florida because my dad was in the hospital, and it wasn't looking that good. I really wanted this car. 5 minutes later the lady came in to get her Maverick. I talked to her for a couple minutes. She hadn't listed the car but had turned down 2 people. One wanted to make it a race car. The other wanted it for his son to learn how to drive in. I called my girl and told her to send me this picture.

Name:  189.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  3.23 MB

She knew then it was going to a good home. Come to find out her father purchased the car for her when she started at UCLA in 71. She had loved that car and took incredible care of it. The only reason she sold it was because in the Spring of 2015 in NM there was so much rain that mice were at plague level and were eating the wiring on her daily driver. She only had one garage space so the Maverick had to go. She was pretty sad when I handed her boyfriend the cash. I would have been, too. The car has never been hit, no rust ever, ashtrays never used, original spare,, I could go on. The only thing she did to it was paint it black lacquer with a Pink Floyd kind of stripe on the side in the late 70s. Had it repainted original color when she moved to NM in 1990. Paint looks good from 20'. I'd like to have a pro paint it correctly with stripes one of these days.

72 Grabber

Name:  017.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  1.38 MB

Name:  034.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  3.59 MB

Name:  018.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  3.18 MB

Name:  027.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  3.50 MB

Name:  056.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  3.43 MB
    02 ZRX1200R

ZRXOA #8130

Born In The USA

Re: Ford Maverick

That looks great!
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

Ford Maverick

What a great looking car!!!

Original CA plate looks cool.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Badass Hooligan

I'm a Ford guy and love the Mavericks. They made the best looking Pro Stockers back in the day! And Fantastic looking Maverick, Rex!!!! Grabber Blue?
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin

BadAss Hooligan

Looks like new... that blue had been around a long for Ford!

Wayne

Color Monitor

It will look great with a complete factory Grabber paint scheme. Save up your pennies and get it done right.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

My only experience with the Maverick was back in the mid 80s. I lived in Orlando and started dating a country bumpkin fresh in town from North Dakota. She had an Avocado green Maverick in great shape that she drove to Florida from the Fargo area. She was very memorable...the car? Not so much LOL. I will say though...she never had any trouble with the Maverick. I remember because I would have been the one fixing it. I will also say that a V8 and a nice set of wheels with some fat rear tires does look good on the car. If I remember correctly, some people put the shackled leaf springs on those things which, to me, detracted from its' looks.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    It will look great with a complete factory Grabber paint scheme. Save up your pennies and get it done right.

TG
    Done Right?? Any MAACO can do a paint job better than the assembly line. New cars did not shine like they do at Barrett-Jackson...

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

I was having a similar conversation with a friend that owns a P-51.

He said the large vertical invasion stripes were painted with pushbrooms during WWII before D-Day and they looked nothing like the concours paint jobs many have today.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    I was having a similar conversation with a friend that owns a P-51.

He said the large vertical invasion stripes were painted with pushbrooms during WWII before D-Day and they looked nothing like the concours paint jobs many have today.
    Imoron (sic?)..."AirCraft Paint" and Centari...both were absolute crap, but they used both on aircraft so EVERYONE in the 70's wanted to have their cars shot with it. Thick, one-two coats and 1/8" thick orange peel...

I shot my 1969 Camaro with ACME Acrylic Lacquer in Marina Blue Metallic with Urethane Clear and won a trophy in every show I attended. It looked "Right" except it was shiny :-)

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

Ford Maverick

Imron is awesome man! Iíll have to disagree with ya on this one.

44C was painted with Imron in 1986, sat outside in the sun 24/7 from 1994-2001 and still looks stunning 33 years after the paint was laid down.

Devilsí Advocate

Drive a car down the freeway with it on the hood. The rock chips look like crap in it. they are like an 1/8" deep. the paint is incredibly hard...and brittle.

Planes don't have to deal with road debris.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    I shot my 1969 Camaro with ACME Acrylic Lacquer in Marina Blue Metallic with Urethane Clear and won a trophy in every show I attended. It looked "Right" except it was shiny :-)
    My 72 Monte Carlo was a Lacquer job with 6 coats of clear. Stunning. It was Ford Moondust Blue Irridecent. Best Blue I've ever seen. Car always looked detailed.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

I'm Canadian!

KaaBooommm

Pops
    Size matters, good thing I drive a huge bus.

Hooligan

I never owned a Maverick. But have had the 'privilege' of changing the spark plugs on a factory V8 model.

GREEN is always the fastest

ZRXOA #3823

aka The Streak

Thanks for the compliments on my Maverick. I thought about modding the car with a complete Mustang SVO driveline swap. Make a 2500# car lighter with an easy 325-350 RWHP. I was thinking about trying to make it run 11s and still get 30 MPG. I also thought about a ecoboost 4 that's in the new Mustang. That is a big 4 cylinder and would require major work. The 250/6 runs so good I don't think I want to go that route. I do need a taller tire so the car doesn't scream down the highway at 70.

Original D70-14 on the right.

Name:  030.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  4.14 MB

Stereo still works. Found the recipt from 81. Not easy finding cassettes nowadays.

Name:  024.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  3.84 MB

With my uncle's 69 Ranchero Rio Grande. It's been his daily since 85.

Name:  422.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  2.24 MB

He made the hidden headlight grill. My uncle has some impressive skills. Cars been restored in his backyard twice. It needs another as the rust is starting to pop out in a few places. It's always been outside.

Name:  420.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  3.44 MB

Name:  442.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  3.82 MB

Name:  434.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  3.56 MB
    02 ZRX1200R

ZRXOA #8130

President of the ZRXOA

What a pair!!!

I really like the lines of the Maverick. I need to look up what the Grabber stripes are supposed to look like.

President of the ZRXOA

Ford Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Drive a car down the freeway with it on the hood. The rock chips look like crap in it. they are like an 1/8" deep. the paint is incredibly hard...and brittle.

Planes don't have to deal with road debris.
    Planes deal with worse! Iíll have to show you the nose bowl and leading edges of the airframe on a few planes.

A giant propeller up front on the ground wrecks havoc.

Rain becomes abrasive above 150 mph. Like a very fine grit of bead blasting.

Youíll be surprised what damage bugs can do at 120+ mph.

At 200+ mph all of the above increases exponentially.

But none of this matters because I just found a photo of the Grabber stripes for the Maverick. They look great! Iíd have to spring to get those on there if I owned it.

aka The Streak

I think it's a very underrated body style. Alot of people who comment on the car agree. Who would have thought you would hear people say beautiful Maverick.

Here's the original paint scheme.

02 ZRX1200R

ZRXOA #8130

BadAss Hooligan

Very cool. Love grabber blue. Iíve had 3 grabber blue Mustangs.

Ranchero grill is killer
    ZRXOA 8377
    '01 Green Machine with some Bling
    '00 RC51
    '83 GPz 550-- Number 4.
    93 Ninja 1100

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
    For those who will not try, no explanation is possible

BadAss Hooligan

Great vehicles. Miss those simpler cars.

Color Monitor

Ranchero grill is killer
    I agree with bossracer. You're uncle did a fantastic job on that custom grill. It look great and very factory.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

aka The Streak

Uncle picked up this pump with a 428. I think he said it's a 1972. It's basicly a 428 Cobra Jet with 360 truck heads. Clean as a whistle inside because it's only been used with propane. It's going in the Ranchero to replace the tired 302. He ordered a complete Edelbrock top end kit for it. He says it'll taake 100# off the engine.

Name:  428.PNG
Views: 155
Size:  1.37 MB

Name:  428-2.PNG
Views: 152
Size:  1.08 MB

Name:  428-3.PNG
Views: 152
Size:  1.01 MB

I finally found some 14X7 steelies for the back of my Maverick to replace the 14X6. I've been looking for a year. My uncle used to have a few sets of these but he sold them years ago. Found them on Albuquerque CL. Called a friend and he picked them up for me. Not easy to find in good shape now. These came on Torinos and some Mustangs. Now I need to find the wider trim rings.

Name:  torinorims.PNG
Views: 146
Size:  603.6 KB
    02 ZRX1200R

ZRXOA #8130

BadAss Hooligan

Nice find on that pump engine. 427's were used also. Yeah those FE intakes are heavy it's a fairly light engine with aluminum bolt ons . Edelbrock heads will wake it up.

Hooligan

My son has a 74 maverick with a factory 302 with a three on the tree . Its pumpkin orange . Fun car to drive It will burn tire till you let off the gas in first and second. He hasnt driven it in a few years . Got it stashed in the garage with his 67 firebird project .

BadAss Hooligan

I had a couple back in my younger days. First was an old Bell South fleet car I got in High School. Had the 200/6. Never did anything with it but drove it. Dad made me sell it when I got in trouble with drinking buddies.

In my college days, I bought a POS 4 door from a neighbor for $200. Had the 302. It was two tone - faded blue and primer grey. Tricked it out but only so much you can do without twisting the unibody frame. Ladder bars helped the rear tires grip, but it still was scary to handle compared to modern cars.

New Rules, Can't Say...

BadAss Hooligan

BadAss Hooligan

Back in the day my friend's dad bought a brand new blue Maverick Grabber with a 302 and a four speed. He put cams and headers on it (along with the obligatory Holley and Edelbrock manifold) practically right out of the show room.
    While the old man used to drive it gently, when he wasn't around his son would come down into our neighborhood and do burnouts and generally beat the piss out of it.

I never forgot how cool that car was and it remains one of my favorite muscle cars to this day.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

Devilsí Advocate

...he put "A" cam in it....

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.