+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Funny How I Forget

I am starting on my venture of "dropping in" my zx11 cams, I have had a handful of parts boxed up lying around in my garage. Since my move a couple of years ago and many, many other things going on I put off working on the Rex. Besides not having the time, when I did I just was not motivated to tear her down again. The last major overhaul I did, I missed a couple of good seasons of riding and once I got her back together she was running far better than she ever has.

Figured if she aint broke don't "fix" it right?

Well, my first ride this season I had went out with Howard aka: BonzRexter before that ride he has known that I have been sitting on some "Go Fast" parts and has sorta kept to get them installed. Well not to long ago he had invited me to what seems to be a epic ride he does with a group of guys every year. This ride involves 4-5 days of riding and camping, personally I have never been on a adventure like this one. To top it off I had never been on a ride in that part of the state, I am totally stoked.

Any way back to the bike, I started to tear her down this evening when I got back from Florida. Drained the coolant etc, removed the stick ignition coils along with the thermostat housing assembly. As I was doing this I started to realize all the goodies I had already installed through out the years. The ones I forget about like Kwick's No' Flo' plugs, Tip Over Kill Switch, Greg's Block Off Plates plus many others...

It really hit me as I was looking through Jason's Lexan Pulsar Cover at Kwick's 4į advancer to set the motor at TDC how all these little things I have invested in has not only improved my bike but has really made life alot easier when it comes down to working on her.

Well, time for me to get things picked up so I can get this done before the end of the week

Thanks Guys,

Merlin

Born In The USA

Re: Funny How I Forget

Cool!

I was looking for the wrap up on your trip. You know, how you narrowly escaped being eaten in the hotel lobby, and the python couldn't catch up with you, and the lionfish screwed up his attack, and the gangsters were robbing some one else while you got away with a young woman wearing fishnet stockings and not much else. Stuff like that.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    Cool!

I was looking for the wrap up on your trip. You know, how you narrowly escaped being eaten in the hotel lobby, and the python couldn't catch up with you, and the lionfish screwed up his attack, and the gangsters were robbing some one else while you got away with a young woman wearing fishnet stockings and not much else. Stuff like that.

What happens in Florida, stays in Florida...

BadAss Hooligan
    causing trouble near Milton, Ontario, Canada

or in fact "NEVER HAPPENED". Yes you tend to forget all the very cool additions you can make to a REX and they all just seem to work Flawlessly. Such a versatile motorcycle
    Johnnie Phatt
    Head honcho of project
    Rise of the Phoenix

bring Dave if you must....Perko

President of the ZRXOA

Right on Merlin. Sounds like a lot of fun lined up with Bonz

The extreme of forgetting mods to your bike is Calista. Iíve sat and stared at it for days and I keep finding new stuff that KWICK doesnít even remember doing to her.

Take lots of pics during the trip and let us know how it goes.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks Arash

Speaking of Calista, Kwick sold me her old braced swingarm when he put that badass Daeg braced one on her. If things go smooth I plan on getting that put on as well plus I have Greg's rear caliper hanger and torque link

President of the ZRXOA

You really do have a nice stash of stuff waiting to go on!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Hooligan

That's why I had to start a list of everything that was done and by who, so I could remember it all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BadAss Hooligan

Okay, since this is my first rodeo I need some opinions

I have "dropped" those cams in and made sure my cam lobes matched the markings on the cam sprockets. I am trying to line the "EX" mark and the "IN" marks with the head, this is as close as I can get them with making sure the cams are seated in the cap grooves...

Name:  20190606_132301.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  2.49 MBName:  20190606_132320.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  2.74 MB

This was before,

Name:  20190606_104958.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  2.50 MB

Again sorry if these uploaded upside down

When I play with the cam sprockets and move them one back or one forward each, they seem to be really off the mark. Plus the chain link marks match the count, I would hate to button up the caps and find out it is off.

Thanks

President of the ZRXOA

Funny How I Forget

Looks spot on to me

I didnít count the links, but if you say the count comes up right I can say youíre on the right track.

BadAss Hooligan

Thank you Sir

BadAss Hooligan

In like Flynn, followed the cam cap torque procedure and of cours tripple checked to make sure they are all torqued

Rotated the crank to make sure everything was lined up, now it's time for my valve adjustments

Name:  20190606_145831.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  3.39 MBName:  20190606_145817.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  2.70 MBName:  20190606_150043.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  3.64 MB

Almost forgot that I had one of Kwick's fancy dancy cam chain tensioner, I know that will unleash about 5 more hp...

Stuffed Up

When I did mine I somehow managed to be 1 tooth off on the IN cam - must have check the damn thing about 20 times.

Ran like a bucket of crap so I pulled it apart and found the issue immediately

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

avtech3d

When I assembled my ZZRX, I was 1/2 a link off on the crank. This wouldn't have caused it to run bad, but the chain link didn't line up on the cam markings like shown here and in the manual diagrams for counting links between marks.

Bugged me enough to pull the cams and start over.

Your gonna love those cams.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by avtech2 View Post
    When I assembled my ZZRX, I was 1/2 a link off on the crank. This wouldn't have caused it to run bad, but the chain link didn't line up on the cam markings like shown here and in the manual diagrams for counting links between marks.

Bugged me enough to pull the cams and start over.

Your gonna love those cams.
    Man don't jinx me,...

I already have a problem quadripple guessing myself I just got done doing my valve adjustments and am about ready to reassemble my cooling system.

BadAss Hooligan

Well, I got her all buttoned up filled her with coolant and fired her up. I let her idle till the cooling fan kicked on and let her rest a bit, I bled the system from the water pump buttoned it back up. When I fired her back up she was running pretty good, while I was refreshing myself on my carb sync tool I noticed my temp light came on

I plan on letting her rest over night and follow up on it tomorrow, I hope the coolant just needs to be bled and topped off.

BadAss Hooligan

Well, this was not on my schedule today but it needed to get done

Name:  20190607_160938.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  3.19 MB

I took my rear tire off to get a minor leak fixed, the shop wanted to sell me a new tire due to liability policies. Pissed me off because the Service rep had told me that they would fix it and get me out the door due to me just bringing my wheel in and not the bike

I new I needed to rebuild my rear caliper and replace the pads but knowing that I have Calista's old Braced Swingarm sitting in a box I could not resist...

Name:  20180330_150528.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  3.53 MB

If any of you guys have any tips or suggestions other than what the manual provides it would be appreciated.

Other than that, I will follow the best advice I give to other members seeking advice and just follow my heart.

BadAss Hooligan

Funny How I Forget

When refilling the coolant did you have the thermostat bleeder bolt open? Then fill until a stream comes out then tighten it down.

Iím away from home so I donít have access to the manual. I suspect itís in there but you didnít mention that.

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

Born In The USA

After bleeding the system, I opened the cap and applied a small amount of air pressure to the catch bottle to push the coolant up the hose to the fill the neck to the top, and put the cap on. You will still have to check it again after it has been run a few times.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Cundalini, I did get the coolant issue resolved last night, I did follow the manual plus I checked it this morning bled the upper valve and topped off just a bit. Fired the bike up and let her run until the fan kicked on a few times, so far no over heating.

I clearly did not have the system properly bled yesterday evening

I have made pretty good progress but shut down for the evening, the swingarm is in and the rear calipers have been cleaned and are ready for reassemble.

Name:  20190607_203643.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  3.33 MBName:  20190607_184717.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  4.09 MBName:  20190607_184702.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  4.36 MB

avtech3d

You got this!

It's gonna be a sweet ride.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by avtech2 View Post
    You got this!

It's gonna be a sweet ride.
    Thanks

I hope you were able to put those rear shocks to use, they were taking up space in my small garage

I had ordered some master kits for my brake/clutch, clutch slave seal and rear brake master kit from Kwick, he did tell me that since he did not stock those they could take up to 8 days. It would have been perfect if those had come in, I wanted to rebuild those before I put the Galfer lines in. I may just hook the rear line up and bleed the system, I am anxious to ride her, BonzRexter invited me on a quick run up to the hills on Sunday.

Born In The USA

You are making impressive progress!

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    You are making impressive progress!
    Considering that if I did not run around late morning early afternoon, I am surprised I made the headway I did

As soon as I got the swingarm in I looked at the time and grabbed the rear caliper and started breaking it down. Tomorrow I have a vet appointment @11a and a 1230 on the other side of town, early bird gets the worm!! When I get up I will get the caliper reassembled for breakfast and see about running that rear Galfer line.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post

If any of you guys have any tips or suggestions other than what the manual provides it would be appreciated.

Other than that, I will follow the best advice I give to other members seeking advice and just follow my heart.
    Don't know if it's in the manual, but I seem to recall loosening the rear engine mount makes pulling the swing arm out, a lot easier.

Good luck

Acceleration - 1109JE pistons, ZX11 Cams & rockers, ported head, CNC Valve job, CVK40 carbs, F/Pro kit, Tsukigi exhaust, dyna ignition, Ape clutch,
    Handling - ZX14 front end, and clutch, ZX6 swingarm, ZX10 wheels, brembo rc19 master, braided lines, Works shocks,
    Bling - Custom radiator, trainlight with HID, Jason bar end mirrors, dickstand & pulsar cover, Poshfaith sprocket cover, Sgt seat, Teds battery out, Mark444 S/S Kit..

avtech3d

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    Thanks

I hope you were able to put those rear shocks to use, they were taking up space in my small garage
    They are on my ZZRX, should have it running and rode worthy soon.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Made some decent headway this morning, it is about the time to link the drive chain,...

Name:  20190608_085513.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  3.83 MBName:  20190608_094838.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  3.72 MBName:  20190608_095253.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  3.96 MB

Time to break away so I can take my best friend to her scheduled appointment, and get myself groomed

Name:  20190608_095439.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  3.96 MB