+ Reply to Thread
    Just Some Random Guy

DRZ Oil System Issue

Since the OA is my new "Google Search".......

Rode to work last week on my '09 DRZ 400S and when I arrived the entire rear of the motorcycle was coated in engine oil. I took it home in the truck, and it took 2 quarts (practically the entire capacity) to bring it back to full on the dipstick (the bike has an in frame oil tank, and you have to run it a bit prior to checking the oil level to ensure there isn't a portion of it still in the sump).

So I start it up to see if I can determine where/how it dumped the entire oil capacity in a 25 mile/30 minute commute. Nothing at idle. Took it out for a short ride, nothing. Did a couple of short rides (totaling about 40 mile) and not a drop leaking from the bike.

So I rode it to work this morning and nothing. I'm assuming it blew the oil out of the crankcase breather, but can't/haven't confirmed that.

So doe anybody have any idea how a DRZ might dump its entire oil capacity on one day, but not lose a drop the next?

I'm keeping a couple of quarts of oil with me in the event of a repeat, but I hate problems that "go away" knowing they can return at any time.

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

Devils’ Advocate

Re: DRZ Oil System Issue

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

c10's best friend

Make sure you aren't overfilling it by checking cold. A lot of people change the oil every thousand miles and don't worry about checking between changes.

You have to get the motor hot​, starting a cold engine and idling for 3 minutes as outlined in the manual is not enough. Take it for at least a spirited 10 min. ride then let it idle for a minute and shut it off. Wait a few minutes and stand the bike straight up level and then pull the dipstick, reinsert so it just touches the threads and then take a reading. Should be between the upper and lower marks.
    Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

BadAss Hooligan

I had one that would do that. It would only puke at highway speeds. Not a drop, then 60 mph + and blarf, all of it. Just a disaster. Had the bike for years prior without fault. Moved heaven and earth without a resolution. Eddie Sisneros was the guru at thumper talk at the time. Unless your screen in the oil res is clogged I don't know what to tell you. I parted the bike because of it, and chucked the bottom end in the trash out of caution. My sympathys. Hope you can get it resolved. It's been years so maybe someone has found a cure.
    Whitey White Bread

2009 Hooligan of the year

I thrashed my KLX400R (DRZ400 w/green bodywork) for years and fortunately never had that happen. But odds are its your breather box. Some have had them clog and back up.

https://alwaysoverdone.com/2015/01/2...ystem-is-busy/

Here are pics of it cut open.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...her-box-sucks/

BadAss Hooligan

And Btw, in my case it was not blow by related. It was flooding the engine, and not returning. It's a fairly simple engine. Seems the scavenge side of the pump no longer could keep up under sustained rpm. New pump didn't fix it. New breather didn't fix it. New rings, new valve seals. I had put a clear catch can on the breather, rode it, and the moment it started, stopped the bike and checked the oil level. Frame reservoir would be empty.
    Last edited by Redrodent; 06-03-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    Whitey White Bread

BadAss Hooligan

Can you tell I'm still bitter?

I loved that bike
    Whitey White Bread

c10's best friend

Mine was run very hard and never did it. Pissed off more than 1 Hardley rider taking off from a signal light, and once had a Chebby pickup play the pass me/pass you game that ended when he hit his speed limiter and I eased by with the optimistic speedo showing 102mph and he was . All of that took about a mile, but no oil puked.
    Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

2009 Hooligan of the year

I learned also that the crank bearing doesn’t last long when the engine is running upside down.

BadAss Hooligan

I had one too that never did that.

My mechanic however who is held in high esteem by local riders, told me that these machine get oil starved when you rev them up for a long time (as in keeping the throttle open during commuted).

I used to grab the clutch for a few seconds every couple of miles and let it idle for a few secs.

Just Some Random Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Redrodent View Post
    I had one that would do that. It would only puke at highway speeds. Not a drop, then 60 mph + and blarf, all of it. Just a disaster. Had the bike for years prior without fault. Moved heaven and earth without a resolution. Eddie Sisneros was the guru at thumper talk at the time. Unless your screen in the oil res is clogged I don't know what to tell you. I parted the bike because of it, and chucked the bottom end in the trash out of caution. My sympathys. Hope you can get it resolved. It's been years so maybe someone has found a cure.
    Sounds just like my issue. I put oil in it and it has been fine for a few hundred miles, but I've been keeping it under 70mph during the commute. I've also been keeping a couple of quarts of oil at the office in the event of a repeat.

The scary thing was that the "leaking" was slow enough for the rear tire to keep the center line oil free through friction with the road surface, but both shoulders of the tire were getting soaked in oil. If I'd honked into a turn it would have been instant high side.

The screen in the oil reservoir was cleaned just a couple of weeks prior (and it wasn't dirty anyway). I'm going the try some of the tips in the links Chris posted and then see if I can replicate the failure. I don't like riding it with a known issue that may (or may not) reoccur at any time.

Of course now I'm dealing with this.... http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...71#post4984371

Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

Born In The USA

If the oil is diluted with fuel, the lack of sealing could lead to increased blow-by pressure and out the breather it goes. I would expect the spark plug to show signs of oil consumption (ash deposit or worse).

On the starter issue, as the starter was loaded, but not turning, you could have had arcing between the solenoid contacts and/or brush to armature, preventing connection afterward. Your continued trying it, finally got some flow and it spun. If it was the solenoid, it may not latch now and then. If it was the brushes/armature, it probably cleaned itself up the moment it spun.

Just taking a guess.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Just Some Random Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    If the oil is diluted with fuel, the lack of sealing could lead to increased blow-by pressure and out the breather it goes. I would expect the spark plug to show signs of oil consumption (ash deposit or worse).

On the starter issue, as the starter was loaded, but not turning, you could have had arcing between the solenoid contacts and/or brush to armature, preventing connection afterward. Your continued trying it, finally got some flow and it spun. If it was the solenoid, it may not latch now and then. If it was the brushes/armature, it probably cleaned itself up the moment it spun.

Just taking a guess.
    All good info, thanks. The plug was clean, nice and tan.