+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Doctor Is In
    About 90 miles north of where I was before & 15 minutes from the Kingdom of Kazmania, FL

And the FJR 1300A has arrived.

My “new to me” 2016 Yamaha FJR1300A. Completely stock, 6200+ on the odo.

Name:  16 FJR.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  238.8 KB

Name:  l. side.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  R side.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  113.8 KB

Dennis and I rode 3.5 hrs. up to Springhill, Fl. to pick her up. Of course, because I’m me, I almost made it home without getting rained on. Almost. About 30m outside of home territory, the heavens opened up & the rain started. Got so heavy I couldn’t see 30 yards in front of me and I had to pull over under a turnpike overpass- a nearly drowned rat. Dennis- friend, buddy, pal, brother that he is- stayed with me until the rain lightened enough that I could see beyond the front end of the bike. I eventually made it home, soaked to the bone, where, of course, it wasn’t raining. Did I mention it hadn’t rained here in a month? Just my luck and another story, right?

Anyway...

Initial impressions: very impressed w/the bike, especially the tranny/gears and brakes. Gears were buttery smooth, very unlike any of my Kawi bikes, including the Ninja 1000. And the brakes were surprisingly strong. Alho I'm generally not a fan of linked brake systems, these were very sure-footed & strong- caught me off-guard a couple of times.

I absolutely love the cruise control and adjustable shield. Power was very usable and even the weight didn't bother me too much. Overall, it proved itself a very comfortable bike, even in stock form & w/no finagling of seat height, bars or suspension. Nothing on me aches tonight and that's a testament to the bike considering I did 215 miles in 3.5 hours, w/weather that was either roasting or soaking me.

FJR folks complain about the OEM seat, but I guess they've never ridden on an OEM Kawasaki seat, which as we all know are torture racks. I managed about an hour before I had to get off and stretch, and then lasted the remaining 2.5 hours w/no issue. Yeah, it could be improved, however this stock seat is light years ahead of any Kawi seat I've ever had.

The bike is filthy but I've already promised to take my daughter out in the AM. She's also calling it 'her bike' since I bought it w/the intent to take her riding more. Gonna have to clear that thought up right quick like, tho.
    Lee
    "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."
    Rorschach

Born In The USA

Re: And the FJR 1300A has arrived.

Looks like you washed it on the way home.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan
    Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

Nothing worse than riding a clean bike in the rain. Glad to see you got back okay. Actually...you had a pretty good shakedown cruise with multiple weather patterns so it will no longer be a surprise. How was the wind/rain protection? Heat coming off the motor? Loved the power wind screen on my 88 Katana 1100.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver
    1995 Suzuki RF900R

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic
    Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

Hooligan

Nice find.
    Enjoy her, all of you.

Rob, #10002

2000 ZRX1100 C4 - Green. Ohlin's shocks, Corbin seat, fork brace, steering damper, Gimbel bugspoiler, ELS: KWICK Kill, +4 Advancer, Tension Tamer & ELS Rack ("lighter than the grab handles"), 65700 kms.

1978 KZ650 C2 - Bored, ported, electronic ign., K&N, Delkevic SS Ex., braced forks and swingarm, Progressive suspension, steering damper, Koni shocks, Rickman fairing, Guiliari seat, GSXR Rearsets, 125,000 kms.

BadAss Hooligan

sweeeeeet
    ZRX 1200R 7/2003 -5/15/2015 (sold to a good home)

ZZR1200 April 2009 -September 2014 (dealer trade in)

2017 Concours 14 ( June 2018 -current)
    HD 2013 FLHTK Stage 4 ( Sept 2014-Current)
    HD 2003 FLHTCI cammed. closed loop FI, upgraded suspension ( Sept 2005 - current)

Hooligan

Very nice. Bet you are going to love it.

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

Nice bike! I'd be damn proud to swing a leg over that.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

The Doctor Is In
    About 90 miles north of where I was before & 15 minutes from the Kingdom of Kazmania, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie View Post
    Nothing worse than riding a clean bike in the rain. Glad to see you got back okay. Actually...you had a pretty good shakedown cruise with multiple weather patterns so it will no longer be a surprise. How was the wind/rain protection? Heat coming off the motor? Loved the power wind screen on my 88 Katana 1100.

The weather protection was pretty good but the storm we rode thru was a toad-strangler. No way was I gonna stay dry. It almost looked like we were going to avoid it and then blammo, by then it was too late to find shelter or gear up in the Frog Togs. We were lucky to have that one overpass, one I'd hidden under before during another downpour!

The motor does generate some heat, primarily down in the ankle area, left side more so than the right, but nothing unbearable. 'Course, the outdoor temp was registering 96 too so that may have been contributing. Overall, she was a very comfy ride. I've found my Ninja 1000 a very comfy, protective ride too but this FJR is another dimension of moto-comfort.
    "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."
    Rorschach

I came to ride

Congrats. I really like that color.

I picked up FJR up March 2, 2013, one day after I retired. I've seriously enjoyed the ride.
    '99 ZRX1100, Akropovic, jet kit
    '13 FJR1300, Givi touring stuff

BadAss Hooligan

Congrats on your new ride. Love the color

The Doctor Is In

My daughter & I went our for the inaugaral daddy/daughter FJR ride. Headed out around 0720, got back 3 hrs later so I'm guessing she liked it.

She informed me that it was much more comfortable than my N1K or the ZRX so winner, winner. Mindya, zero mods, stock seat, no backrest.

Perhaps next weekend we'll loop Lake Okeechobee.
    Lee
    Rorschach

President of the ZRXOA

Congrats
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

The Busa Cop

FYI FZ1 mirrors fit the FJR , fold all the way in for storage , much lighter , and your not looking at your elbows .

Here is only photo I have of my FJR with the FZ1 mirrors ( Actually R6S mirrors same as FZ1 except shorter studs for mounting )
    I seemed to always had a problem keeping front end down .

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

The Busa Cop

Found this one too . What are we doing you ask ? got side stand stuck in my house side walk crack

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

Hooligan

Nice looking bike!

I've been kicking around the idea of something similar. Not sure though If I'll stay Kawi loyal. I like the idea of factory cruise. Not sure I want something that heavy too. Might look to a bandit or versys. So in short, I have no idea what I want.

The Doctor Is In

Quote Originally Posted by Barsinister View Post
    Nice looking bike!

I've been kicking around the idea of something similar. Not sure though If I'll stay Kawi loyal. I like the idea of factory cruise. Not sure I want something that heavy too. Might look to a bandit or versys. So in short, I have no idea what I want.
    I have owned Kawi's and Hondas my entire riding life. I do feel a little like a traitor but Kawi/Honda offered nothing similar in my view, certainly nothing at this price point and w/cruise control and the other amenities. The FJR is, at this point, a legendary ride, w/many out there exceeding 200,000 miles on their odos.

So I've never owned a Yamaha before. They just never really called to me over the other two. But I like this one very much. It's a bit top heavy, especially when the tank is full, but the weight disappears pretty much once under power. Kawi could certainly learn something from Yamaha in regards to the tranny- buttery smooth on the FJR. The suspension rides so much more comfortably too than my N1K, ZRX's, ZZR or GPZ.

I'm not unhappy w/my choice. Did I mention it averages over 45 MPG?
    Rorschach

triton who?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Spectreman View Post
    I have owned Kawi's and Hondas my entire riding life. I do feel a little like a traitor but Kawi/Honda offered nothing similar in my view, certainly nothing at this price point and w/cruise control and the other amenities. The FJR is, at this point, a legendary ride, w/many out there exceeding 200,000 miles on their odos.

So I've never owned a Yamaha before. They just never really called to me over the other two. But I like this one very much. It's a bit top heavy, especially when the tank is full, but the weight disappears pretty much once under power. Kawi could certainly learn something from Yamaha in regards to the tranny- buttery smooth on the FJR. The suspension rides so much more comfortably too than my N1K, ZRX's, ZZR or GPZ.

I'm not unhappy w/my choice. Did I mention it averages over 45 MPG?
    There's a lot to like. The most impressive thing for me is well the linked brakes work in a panic stop.

Last year, I was leading 5 of us in an suburban commercial area.....a un-divided 4 lane filled with Motels, MickyD's, banks ect Running about 50 in the rain....Coming downhill, I saw a red pickup on my right ready to exit a McD's…...he looked me right in the eye, and I thought well he's waiting...……….and then he pulled RTFO!!!! I hammered both brake s for all I was worth, and waited to go down or hit him...………..there was NO WAY my old ZRX would have had a snowballs chance in hell...……..and then, I stopped! No slide, no drama, just stopped! Had maybe 4 ft to spare. AZZ rolled across 4 lanes and sped off. I had so much energy stored, I never put a foot down, just let off and continued on our way. EVERYBODY was thinking I was toast, that there was no time to avoid. Yes my tires were new, but you had to be there to see how little room I had. This thing just works
    The measure of a grown man is not the steps he takes, but his ability to live with the consequences.

BadAss Hooligan

Looks great Lee...... Congrats

Like any new (to you) bike will have a transition period, the getting used to it and its unique items, weight etc.

Great two up bike for sure! The FJ was one I strongly considered. Some great features.

Glad the old 'Platypus' helped you out aka Dennis....

I hope you have many great miles on her......... Enjoy

Mainely here

Cool!

I've been riding an 03 all these years. Has 140k on it. Still goes great. I bought an 08 off a friend thinking I would semi retire the old one but i'm still riding it. Going to sell the 08. They are a great traveler and still can be ridden spirited once you arrive at the good stuff.

Congrats on a very nice ride!

BadAss Hooligan

Beautiful bike Lee... looks like you got a very nice well kept bike!

I had an 07 with the auto clutch I purchased in 09 new. Took awhile to get use to the auto clutch but it was a cool feature. They are very nice bikes and one of the coolest options IMO is the adjustable windshield... it is really a great feature.

The bike is great stock but I did several thing to fit my needs and the one biggest thing was I added California Scientific windshield. I'm only 5' 6" tall so I believe I got the 2 inch taller WS which when it rained I could run it to the top and look through but the height helped to shed water over my head. I know your to adjust a WD so you look just over the top but have a little taller WD and the option to adjust it make for the ability to do so.

The biggest and most significant part of the CA Scientific WS it comes with a vent in the lower front that totally illuminates any all buffing... this makes for a much more enjoyable ride IMO.
    The other nice thing about the vent is it allows you to hear the engine and exhaust a little... t just totally makes it's quieter behind the WS. Plus having the option to run the WS up helps the passenger wind as well.

Well hope you find this info helpful... I know you'll enjoy the bike... take care and be safe

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan

I'm watching and learning. Very good info . My BMW has two features I feel I want to keep in my next bike : electronic cruise, and an adjustable windshield. Looks like the FJR clicks BOTH those boxes. I regularly get over 50 MPG, fully loaded....... but its a slug compared to the FJR
    Love the bike DR.

....and if Greg likes it, well, it gets my vote. c10 as well
    WGARA........ (Thanks G).....
    Ytrap.......
    ZRXOA # 3545

2001 BLACK ZRX !!!!
    2000 BMW k1200LT

Faster black one! All other are green with envy.

triton who?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    ....and if Greg likes it, well, it gets my vote. c10 as well

She's a sexy beast....My pipes and that Russell seat.....GAME CHANGER!!!Name:  gregs phone 807.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  3.30 MB

Oops....I didn't realize that my Delkvic ovals were not on that pic....but the sound really cool and are WAY lighter.
    Last edited by Greg; 06-05-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Dumbass
    The measure of a grown man is not the steps he takes, but his ability to live with the consequences.

BadAss Hooligan

Beautiful
    I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

BadAss Hooligan

Love that color Greg !! I’m drooling 🤤
    Ytrap.......
    ZRXOA # 3545

2001 BLACK ZRX !!!!
    2000 BMW k1200LT

The Doctor Is In

Quote Originally Posted by savedzrex View Post
    Looks great Lee...... Congrats

Like any new (to you) bike will have a transition period, the getting used to it and its unique items, weight etc.

Great two up bike for sure! The FJ was one I strongly considered. Some great features.

Glad the old 'Platypus' helped you out aka Dennis....

I hope you have many great miles on her......... Enjoy
    Honestly, Greg, I was hoping my daughter was going to find the V1K to her liking. I figured the transition would be easier and, of course, it's still 150+ lbs lighter than the FJR. But once she sat on the FJR, it was over; good thing I didn't let her sit on a Gold Wing!

I'm not disappointed tho- the FJR is a nice ride and she loved her first ride- a 3 hr tour!
    Lee
    Rorschach

The Doctor Is In

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    She's a sexy beast....My pipes and that Russell seat.....GAME CHANGER!!!Attachment 312391

Oops....I didn't realize that my Delkvic ovals were not on that pic....but the sound really cool and are WAY lighter.
    I do not plan many mods to the bike. The OEM seat, IMO, is miles ahead of any Kawi/Honda OEM seat I've ever had but we'll see. And I'm kinda digging how quiet the bike is w/the stock exhaust- very unobtrusive but yes, if a swap comes, it'll be Delkevis also as they seem to be the choice of FJR owners and reasonably priced. Perhaps a different screen too, some type of fairing protectors, but for now, I'm pretty pleased w/the overall package.
    Lee
    Last edited by Dr. Spectreman; 07-07-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    Rorschach

triton who?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Spectreman View Post
    I do not plan many mods to the bike. The OEM seat, IMO, is miles ahead of any Kawi/Honda OEM seat I've ever had but we'll see. And I'm kinda digging how quiet the bike is w/the sock exhaust- very unobtrusive but yes, if a swap comes, it'll be Delkevis also as they seem to be the choice of FJR owners and reasonably priced. Perhaps a different screen too, some type of fairing protectors, but for now, I'm pretty pleased w/the overall package.
    Lee
    I've never had a chance to try the stock seat, it came with a Sargent and the Russell. I tried the Sargent first, as that's what I had on my ZRX Plus I thought the Russell looked a little funky.
    However, one ride convinced me, and I immediately sent the Sargent off to my buddy Nick. Probably never matter to you, but leaving here to S.C. last March @ 37 degrees, the heated Russell shines again!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've never had a chance to try the stock seat, it came with a Sargent and the Russell. I tried the Sargent first, as that's what I had on my ZRX Plus I thought the Russell looked a little funky.
    However, one ride convinced me, and I immediately sent the Sargent off to my buddy Nick. Probably never matter to you, but leaving here to S.C. last March @ 37 degrees, the heated Russell shines again!
    Ahhh, heated seat .That too. AND grips. Don't need the passenger armrests, six disc cd changer, etc. All you guys talking about weight....
    MY LT is over 850lbs
    Damn ,now I'm looking for an FJR. Maintenance is also a huge issue. No one touches my bike.
    Thanks your all for the good user info.
    Ytrap.......
    ZRXOA # 3545

2001 BLACK ZRX !!!!
    2000 BMW k1200LT

The Doctor Is In

There's no shortage of FJR's on the market, new or used. Lots of room for negotiation too. And there's rumors of a revised 1400CC FJR in the near future if you want to wait.

I wanted a '16 & up for the 6 speed tranny, slipper clutch and LED lights. I wasn't as concerned w/the A vs ES suspension set-up, altho the ES model would've been nice. I would've settled on a '13-15 model tho too if the price/deal had been right. I found a beautiful, low mileage '13A model f/s in Erie PA w/a stellar price and had I not found this one, I was seriously considering that.
    Lee
    Rorschach

Slightly opinionated, but never politically correct

Great bikes and I can concur on the MPG . For such a big powerful heavy bike the fuel economy is outstanding.
    I to have an Auto , would have preferred a clutch but got such a good deal on this one I deal with it!
    F1 rules NASCAR is like dumping a box of Fruit Loops in the toilet and watching them all swirl around when flushed. Add some screaming redneck to announce the event and you could sell tickets.

when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity - Hunter S Thompson