+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    BadAss Hooligan

Re: Broken Swing Arm

Ya I forgot about having to break the chain too...

But back to the point, I have never seen or heard of a ZRX swing arm breaking like that, and I can't see any way to do it unless the pinch bolt was beat in with an impact wrench WITH the eccentric removed.

We have seen every ham fisted ape in need of having their tool box welded shut wander thru here in the last 2 decades, and as I said none of us have seen this before.

To the OP: the easiest way to break the master link is to take a dremel tool ( or any powered small grinder type tool) and grind the pins flush then push them thru, and then use a chain tool to replace the master mushrooming the pins.
    ZRX 1200R 7/2003 -5/15/2015 (sold to a good home)

ZZR1200 April 2009 -September 2014 (dealer trade in)

2017 Concours 14 ( June 2018 -current)
    HD 2013 FLHTK Stage 4 ( Sept 2014-Current)
    HD 2003 FLHTCI cammed. closed loop FI, upgraded suspension ( Sept 2005 - current)

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by compressor59 View Post
    I don't think you could over torque it without stripping the threads. You already have a junk swingarm see how much torque the other side will take to strip or break.
    ^This here.
    Once you know you're going to throw the swing arm out it would be interesting to see what happens when it's over torqued with the eccentric in place.

The torque spec for that bolt is 29 ft/lbs. Take a torque wrench and go 10 lbs at a time til something gives.
    My guess is the threads strip.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

Color Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    ^This here.
    Once you know you're going to throw the swing arm out it would be interesting to see what happens when it's over torqued with the eccentric in place.

The torque spec for that bolt is 29 ft/lbs. Take a torque wrench and go 10 lbs at a time til something gives.
    My guess is the threads strip.
    It's not from over torqueing alone. Doing what you are suggesting won't do shit. Hit it with an impact gun as we've been talking about for maximum effect. Even then, my guess is that 90-100 times it will pull the threads out. It's a freak failure that will likely be hard to reproduce.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan

Send it to James Compton for repair.

Then you can be rid of those stupid essentrics.

Name:  FB_IMG_1559471880840.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  172.6 KBName:  FB_IMG_1559471848690.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  172.7 KB

Just call me Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Parko View Post

Attachment 312171Attachment 312172
    I was there just yesterday for a visit and always over that S A !

NOV 2017 BOTM

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Deerslayer64d View Post
    I was there just yesterday for a visit and always over that S A !
    Looks like he cleaned up the drool I left on it last time. Hey Gordon how you been have not seen you for a while
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    It's not from over torqueing alone. Doing what you are suggesting won't do shit. Hit it with an impact gun as we've been talking about for maximum effect. Even then, my guess is that 90-100 times it will pull the threads out. It's a freak failure that will likely be hard to reproduce.

TG
    I have to disagree. Using the torque wrench will find out for us just how much that set up will take. The impact will probably destroy it then we learn nothing.
    I'm always afraid that the 29 ft/lbs is too much and one day it'll strip out. If nothing happens by 60 or 70 lb/ft then by all means put the impact on it, hopefully on video.

I just now came in from adjusting my chain and I was afraid, especially because I put antisieze on the bolt threads to keep them from galling the aluminum threads.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

Weirdly Peculiar

I have to disagree. Using the torque wrench will find out for us just how much that set up will take. The impact will probably destroy it then we learn nothing.
    I'm always afraid that the 29 ft/lbs is too much and one day it'll strip out. If nothing happens by 60 or 70 lb/ft then by all means put the impact on it, hopefully on video.

I just now came in from adjusting my chain and I was afraid, especially because I put antisieze on the bolt threads to keep them from galling the aluminum threads.
    Where does your fear come from? I've been doing ZRX chain adjustments for years using anti-seize and 29 Ft\Lbs without issue.

2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by BASpro View Post
    Where does your fear come from? I've been doing ZRX chain adjustments for years using anti-seize and 29 Ft\Lbs without issue.

Agreed.
    A junk torque wrench might change the odds, but....

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Is this pain I feel envy?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

Color Monitor

Yep, anything less and the eccentrics tend to slip when doing wheelies or hard launches.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

Bleeding Kawasaki since the 70's

This thread gives me wood ....... because it wasn't me that caused it.

SS
    For all the members we've lost - this board can only hope to help you live on in others. YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek, Mitch#101 and all the others you are forever remembered.
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    Perko has a good point though....

I once asked James why he's (see what I did < over there) never braced a 1200 swingarm ..... his answer, true story

It doesn't need it.

Me what does he know ..... it just looks badass.

Then
    Name:  DSCF5011.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  288.5 KB

Now except the shocks are a couple notches up on those in that ^ picture as it sit in the shop right now.
    Name:  braced arm.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  711.6 KB

SS
    For all the members we've lost - this board can only hope to help you live on in others. YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek, Mitch#101 and all the others you are forever remembered.
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

BadAss Hooligan

OK, troof be told I wasn't afraid, never was, but I'd certainly like to see how much torque it takes to break that clamp/bolt/threads whatever. Am I alone on this?

I like the eccentrics. I think they're beautiful. There are so many bikes with the nut and bolt adjusters that look like an afterthought. Especially the ones that stick out the end of the swing arm. Few do them right.
    And then there's the axles with castle nut and cotter pin. Ooof.

President of the ZRXOA

Yeah, only fancy bikes like the 916 had an eccentric adjuster. A really, really big one!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Yeah, only fancy bikes like the 916 had an eccentric adjuster. A really, really big one!
    Name:  big eccentric.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  41.4 KB

Like that?

SS
    YTRAP 2/23/05

Mod/Admin

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Or maybe a zrx.

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo View Post
    Or maybe a zrx.

:
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Anything further on the breaking of the swingarm?

2009 Hooligan of the year

...but I'd certainly like to see how much torque it takes to break that clamp/bolt/threads whatever. Am I alone on this?

Yes.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Yes.
    I guess so.