+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Administrator

Confronting texting drivers

I confronted a texting driver today. I was in my truck - driver crossed into my lane 6 times - head down the whole time looking at his phone.
    I honked and him at the light and motioned for him to roll down the window. I said your phone is not more important than my life. Please pay attention to the road and not your phone before you hurt or kill someone. He immediately went into a curse filled rage and threatened me. (I assume it was his son sitting in the seat next to him).

What would you guys do in this situation? It's getting so bad here I don't want to ride on the street anymore....too many distracted drivers.

I did consider calling 911 to report a possible impaired driver...

CarlM

Re: Confronting texting drivers

A woman pull out if front of. I said hang up and drive bitch. She flipped me off. made me uncomfortable. NOT

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

BadAss Hooligan

There is nothing you can do. Any unwelcome action from you, even helpful words as you saw today, are UNACCEPTABLE to the ever growing faction of our society that can do no wrong in their minds.

Get and old truck. Ram them. Let insurance sort it out.

The words you tell them are really for you. These people are incapable of listening. As you observed today.
    ZRXOA 8377
    '01 Green Machine with some Bling
    '00 RC51
    '83 GPz 550-- Number 4.
    93 Ninja 1100

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
    For those who will not try, no explanation is possible

BadAss Hooligan

I think the 911 call to report a suspected impaired driver has merit. After all, if their face is in their phone, does that not impair their ability to drive?
    ZRXOA#9262

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

I love catching them red handed. Sign here.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

Born In The USA

People have been run into for less. It's important, but maybe let Darwin sort it out.

People that are stupid enough to do that with their kid in the car, aren't going to see the problem with it.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan

My son in law is a county correctional deputy sheriff one day riding to work he was in back of a lady who was texting and when they came up to a light he pulled up next to her window and told her to put the phone down. Well she didn’t like that and told him to eff off and what are you gonna do? He had his deputy badge around his neck beneath his shirt so he pulled it out and showed it to her. She instantly put her phone down and apologized. He just laughed to himself because while being a deputy sheriff he isn’t a ticket writing one so he couldn’t really do much but she didn’t know that and she about pooed herself when she saw the badge

Mainely here

It's bad here too. Best friends daughter started driving this year. Went through telephone pole and upside down into a swamp a couple days ago. Crawled out onto the road alive and only bruised. Looking at the car she should have died. Hoping her lesson sticks but the problem is only going to get worse. Kids are born with the phone in hand now. I've been giving the phone hang up sign with my left hand when I know they can see me. Earns me the finger almost every time.

Hooligan

On a recent trip a friend and I had a somewhat heated discussion about texting after riding behind an idiot that crossed center over a dozen times, twice causing on coming traffic to swerve, and of course on a section of road I was uncomfortable passing. His argument was people have all kinds of distraction driving, eating day dreaming, heck some people just suck at it. I said you were following that a** just like i was. The only reason you would defend him is because when you drive, you sometimes do the same. And Although I agree that there are others distractions they are not the same as trying to put thought to text, or comprehending while reading.

Drop a fry and be distracted for a second or read and respond numerous times and be distracted over miles of road countless times. And the thing that gets me is that I bet 99% of the time it is useless, do not need to know information being transmitted and received. My phone stays in my backpack in the backseat while I drive. Also most modern cars have bluetooth or you can buy one cheap.

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by bossracer View Post
    There is nothing you can do. Any unwelcome action from you, even helpful words as you saw today, are UNACCEPTABLE to the ever growing faction of our society that can do no wrong in their minds.

The words you tell them are really for you. These people are incapable of listening. As you observed today.
    You nailed it..
    NOBODY in today's society is prepared to be wrong..

I Detest seeing people with a phone clamped to their ear or texting while in traffic....

These are the consequences over here..

Penalties for using your phone while driving. If you are caught using a hand-held mobile phone or similar device while driving or riding, you'll get an automatic fixed penalty notice - three penalty points and a fine of £60. If your case goes to court, you may face disqualification on top of a maximum fine of £1,000.

Yet....people still do it.,and if you dare to motion to them regarding it..........they "get in your face"

You get
    1/the finger
    2/a mouthful of obscenities
    3/confrontation and threats
    4/road rage..and aggressive driving manoeuvres..

Usually a combination in varying degrees of all the above..

Zero respect......and hate to be wrong..! (About anything.)
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY

Hooligan

I don't think there is a person in the world who hasn't run into a idiot with a phone in there hand. Best one I ever saw was a car in front of me all over the road. When I passed her and looked to see what her problem was, there is was, phone in one had, cigarette in the other.

2009 Hooligan of the year

Confronting texting drivers

Quote Originally Posted by john1263 View Post
    I confronted a texting driver today. I was in my truck - driver crossed into my lane 6 times - head down the whole time looking at his phone.

What would you guys do in this situation?
    Regardless of the reason for their inability to stay in their lane, when in the truck I may honk the horn to bring to their attention that they are out of their lane. If on the bike, I just get the hell away from them to avoid the pileup that may result.

I’ve learned that it is a complete waste of time to try and interact with them directly; they will loose their effin’ mind and in some case try to harm you in a stage of rage. Honking (just a quick tap to alert of lane encroachment) typically doesn’t set them off since they quickly see they’re in the wrong. Scold them directly for texting, putting on makeup or whatever and it’s on! It is you then that is out of line.

BadAss Hooligan

I think an even worse problem is people playing with things in their car and I don't mean themselves. I was behind a guy in traffic and he was watching Frozen as he drove. Maybe he had little kids in the car but certainly a distraction. The Tv or what ever else it is called was big enough for me to see.
    Member # 7722

BadAss Hooligan

Just looked up the penalties for cell phone while driving here in Manitoba. Automatic 3 day licence suspension, 5 points on your licence and $675 fine.(First offense) The sad part is it doesn't seem to be working. I never go out without seeing numerous drivers with their heads down or their phones up against their ear.
    ZRXOA#9262

BadAss Hooligan

Texting And Driving Worse Than Drinking and Driving
    https://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Weirdly Peculiar

Cadman, Bossracer and ZRX24 nailed it. Complete waste of time trying to get them to see the danger in their actions. Do what you have to do to keep yourself safe.

When I lived in Colorado I called *CSP several times while on the highways with bad drivers to report them. Was a direct line to Colorado State Patrol dispatch. Saw a few pulled over, one surrounded by 4 officers from 4 cars. Wish Arizona DPS had a similar shortcut.
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

BadAss Hooligan

When I was an MP in Germany, the fine for talking on cell phone was loss of license. The Polizei would come on post and physically take your license. If you got caught driving without a license they would find out as they had people everywhere.
    Member # 7722

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by pete11zrx View Post
    When I was an MP in Germany, the fine for talking on cell phone was loss of license. The Polizei would come on post and physically take your license. If you got caught driving without a license they would find out as they had people everywhere.
    Reading all your experiences I do not even bother to write down mine. I can get so frustrated with these kind of phone horny people. Just in one year alone I got three times away with being ran of the road while riding the bike. Always try to talk some sense in my kids' heads.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

No More Clowns
    relocating..... USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Man, you should see the reactions here.... if you honk or rev the engine at someone for almost killing you... People fly off the handle. It's terrible!!!
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

BadAss Hooligan

In a day and age of social unrest where people are quick to respond with violence and then point fingers on cell phone videos, I just call 911 to report anything rather than getting confrontational.

Hooligan

When I worked in NYC years ago I saw a lady almost scrape the concrete divider on the Jersey Turnpike. When I finally passed her, she was flossing her teeth

Born In The USA

I saw a guy in a company truck hit the leading edge of a concrete bridge. Crap flew everywhere, but he didn't stop. I called the CHP, and they had nobody within 50 miles of where I was on I-5. I had the cruise on at 77 MPH.

Later, I caught up to him and he was pulled over, looking at the damage and making up a story to tell the boss.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Mainely here

Nobody has the skills to pull off texting and driving and everyone's luck eventually runs out.

Even talking to someone hands free in my truck I find myself getting into the conversation and not paying attention elsewhere.

Auto kill the phone when it's in a moving vehicle.

No More Clowns
    relocating..... USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Nobody has the skills to pull off texting and driving and everyone's luck eventually runs out.

Even talking to someone hands free in my truck I find myself getting into the conversation and not paying attention elsewhere.

Auto kill the phone when it's in a moving vehicle.
    There has been research on hands free safety and..... well.... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2cf873a7f9ac

"The statistical difference, the MythBusters said, is negligible. It is no safer to use a hands-free device while driving than it is to use a handset."
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

Weirdly Peculiar

Hands free has proven to be a myth. A rationalization of bad behavior.
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

I've found that a high end, (read: loud), train horn gets their attention. Scares the crap out of them....and you don't have to say a word, just drive away.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

So true, part of the narcissistic society that's been created here. Over the past twenty years, hell, longer than that, the elite have flouted the law and rules of social conduct and that has filtered down to the common man and woman. People run stop signs or, at best, roll them, frequently around here. Blow through red lights. Text, speak on an non-hands free phone.

And I rarely see the CHP on the freeway in So Cal to do anything about it. Few local cops to enforce traffic laws as well.

Society is degenerating. Just another sign of it in the way people behave toward one another.
    “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry, American patriot.

"Red is faster of course" 8/5/19 Ca Pete acknowledges the obvious.

Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

Quote Originally Posted by pete11zrx View Post
    When I was a MP in Germany there were no cell phones. '74-'77.
    “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry, American patriot.

"Red is faster of course" 8/5/19 Ca Pete acknowledges the obvious.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Derro View Post
    There has been research on hands free safety and..... well.... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2cf873a7f9ac

"The statistical difference, the MythBusters said, is negligible. It is no safer to use a hands-free device while driving than it is to use a handset."
    Years ago I had a technical service job that required a great deal of car traveling. I remember that my company had a 'hands free' policy when talking on the phone, which I used daily. But during one trip from Charlotte to Richmond (5 hours), I did not remember anything of the trip because I was on the phone the entire time. From that point forward, I NEVER talked on the phone while driving. I would regularly pull into rest stops, check messages and return calls. SCARY STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

people's phones are like a member of the family now

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100