+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sharing

BadAss Hooligan

sharing

Anyone has that 1 friend who wants to ride your ZRX? I have had my ZRX since I came home from Germany in 2006-a present to myself. I have spent money with gas, repairs, accessories and insurance-typical bike costs. An accident in 2012 kind of took the wind out of my sails. Took the next year off because of a torn rotator cuff. Yet when I go riding and on rare occasion will ride with someone-they want to ride the bike. Everybody thinks its a toy and wants to share it with me. I was on this ride last year and a guy who I worked with (I since left job) pulled over and said let me ride your bike. I said no and he complained for 5 minutes along the road until I told him-got to go home. He continued his debate at work the next day and says what could go wrong? Too much blood, sweat and hard work has gone into my bike to share it. Now a days I ride by myself as just don't need the drama.
    Member # 7722

Two wheeled FREAK

Re: sharing

If he doesn't respect the answer he's a tool

I only ride a friends when its a test ride after I have done work to it. And then it is very carefully... mindful of the time and expense repairs or replacement would cost.

PM me for great prices on ÷hlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by pete11zrx View Post
    Anyone has that 1 friend who wants to ride your ZRX? I have had my ZRX since I came home from Germany in 2006-a present to myself. I have spent money with gas, repairs, accessories and insurance-typical bike costs. An accident in 2012 kind of took the wind out of my sails. Took the next year off because of a torn rotator cuff. Yet when I go riding and on rare occasion will ride with someone-they want to ride the bike. Everybody thinks its a toy and wants to share it with me. I was on this ride last year and a guy who I worked with (I since left job) pulled over and said let me ride your bike. I said no and he complained for 5 minutes along the road until I told him-got to go home. He continued his debate at work the next day and says what could go wrong? Too much blood, sweat and hard work has gone into my bike to share it. Now a days I ride by myself as just don't need the drama.
    Your right all the way. I won't either.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

BadAss Hooligan

This guy has a 1982? Kawasaki 550 LTD that I was with him when he bought it. The bike barely ran and this guy has 0 mechanical ability. The top speed was 50 mph before I cleaned the carbs. Now it will do easily maybe 100 mph. I test rode his bike to diagnose an issue, and I guess he thinks that is why he should be allowed to ride mine. I also have a 1980 Yamaha XS 1100 and feel the same way about that bike.
    Member # 7722

BadAss Hooligan

I have a pretty solid, nobody rides my bikes but me policy. There is no benefit and if shit goes wrong you know they aren't going to pony up the money to fix it.
    My other rides:
    1968 Harley Davidson XLH
    1986 Honda V65 Magna 1100
    1985 Honda V45 Magna 700
    2001 Harley Electra Glide 124" S&S
    2005 Honda CR450F

Hooligan

I've let my brother ride it. He actually rode it to my house from the dealer.

I let one friend ride it up my street a few years ago.

usually I get asked this way while riding. Hey, you wanna try my bike? The Answer is Nope.

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Steve516 View Post
    If he doesn't respect the answer he's a tool

I only ride a friends when its a test ride after I have done work to it. And then it is very carefully... mindful of the time and expense repairs or replacement would cost.
    The 2nd post. Steve saved me the typing.

Tool. A tool. That is such a perfect phrase/word for those of us who understand it. One 4 letter word that captures it all.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

I don't let just anyone ride my bikes, but I will let people I know and trust use or borrow them.

It is less about the bike and more about liability.

Nobody has asked to ride the C14 yet, we will cross that bridge when I come to it
    ZRX 1200R 7/2003 -5/15/2015 (sold to a good home)

ZZR1200 April 2009 -September 2014 (dealer trade in)

2017 Concours 14 ( June 2018 -current)
    HD 2013 FLHTK Stage 4 ( Sept 2014-Current)
    HD 2003 FLHTCI cammed. closed loop FI, upgraded suspension ( Sept 2005 - current)

No More Clowns
    Olympia, WA, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

I let someone ride my VFR once..... The deal was, he could ride it if I could borrow his BMW 5 series for a trip to AZ.... It was to visit my Aunt and there was significant weather on the route at the time. He agreed..... The same day he took the bike, he layed it down due to a lack of understanding that intersections can be slick due to oil, fluid or dirt in the intersection. He vowed to pay me $1,000 to fix the needed stuff...... well, he never payed. He disappeared and now we aren't friends. I learned a lesson Dad had been trying to teach me. Friends shouldn't let friends ride their motorcycles. It can ruin friendships. Last time that will ever happen.
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

Hooligan

My friends wouldn't dare ask to ride one of my bikes and I wouldn't dare ask to ride thiers. I have however offered to very close (and Employed) friends it they'd like to ride certain bikes.

The Green Widowmaker

I have one good friend that rides Harleys that I trust. He was asking a lot of questions a few years ago and I told him he could ride it to answer the questions for himself. He's the only one I've ever made this offer to. He was honest.....'no thanks, your bike scares the hell out of me just looking at it'. No one but me had ever put miles on it. It will always be that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    i gave him a stupid look and said that 'tricks are for kids' and i'd rather stunt his mom and walked out...

Formerly known as Racer5349...........a fool by any other name is still a fool.

The Green Widowmaker

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jimmy_B; 05-15-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    i gave him a stupid look and said that 'tricks are for kids' and i'd rather stunt his mom and walked out...

Formerly known as Racer5349...........a fool by any other name is still a fool.

BadAss Hooligan

Several months back a ex-brother in law was having some financial difficulties.(he quit his job ) and said you have 2 bikes and 2 Jeeps could I borrow 1 until I get some cash NO NO NO and he doesn't even have a motorcycle license. I don't know why people have such big nads they would even ask.
    Member # 7722

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Derro View Post
    I let someone ride my VFR once..... The deal was, he could ride it if I could borrow his BMW 5 series for a trip to AZ.... It was to visit my Aunt and there was significant weather on the route at the time. He agreed..... The same day he took the bike, he layed it down due to a lack of understanding that intersections can be slick due to oil, fluid or dirt in the intersection. He vowed to pay me $1,000 to fix the needed stuff...... well, he never payed. He disappeared and now we aren't friends. I learned a lesson Dad had been trying to teach me. Friends shouldn't let friends ride their motorcycles. It can ruin friendships. Last time that will ever happen.

This is exactly why I do not let anybody ride my bikes, even friends. The same thing happened to a friend of mine back in the 80's, no money was paid and friendship dissappeared like snow on a sunny day.
    The eyes are the window of the soul.

#10174 Z650b1 '77, Z650b2 '78, ZRX 1100 R '98, ZRX 1200 R '01.

BadAss Hooligan

I never ever let people ride my bikes... NEVER! Working in M/C dealerships and owing a dealership I've seen more bikes tore up because the owner let's his friend ride his bike.

However I did let (at the time) my brother in law ride a 1983 Suzuki GS750es one Thanksgiving afternoon. He had been asking me for years to ride it so in a weak moment I gave in

Within less than 5 minutes he come driving it back... laid it down and wiped out the front end and all down the left side... plus he looked like he'd been but through a meat grinder.

Was hauling around a corner and a lady was backing out of her driveway and didn't see him... he ended up in yard just missing a mailbox and a huge oak tree.

Well needless to say... I haven't given in again and won't.

If somebody ask to ride my bike... I tell them what is printed above and if they don't like it.. well tough $h_t

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

My son and I were out on a short ride one night. I offered up the swap. I let him take it for a couple miles on a straight 4 lane road with little traffic just so he could get a sense of what it had. He was fine swapping back. He was riding his RF900 and later told me the Rex scared him. He never asked to ride her again.

I forgot....Old Dude, a member on this forum came by the house on his Rex. We did swap for a short ride around town. I figured if he crashed mine I'd keep his.
    Last edited by Dirty Howie; 05-15-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

BadAss Hooligan

Double post
    ZRXOA #9877
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

BadAss Hooligan

My best friend has a Goldwing, a Harley ,and a CBR 1000. We've traded several times, but I like my ZRX the best , lol. I trust him with my life, but no one else will ride my ZRX . I won't ask others out of respect, unless offered. Even then, I usually decline.
    WGARA........ (Thanks G).....
    Ytrap.......
    ZRXOA # 3545

2001 BLACK ZRX !!!!
    2000 BMW k1200LT

Faster black one! All other are green with envy.

Hooligan

If asked... usually no. That is unless it is some one VERY close and whose skills I trust completely. I have not been burned... yet....but as I have been offered to ride many other friends bikes I always do so with the understanding that I have enough loot to buy the bike if something happens. I expect the same when I let someone else throw a leg over. I think it was way more common at the track when I was doing a lot of track riding and I never heard of anyone not ponying up the loot to make it right if something went wrong. Only heard of two instances of something happening though. To me the bike makes a big difference though. My Rex was always a dreambike for me from the first day I saw one. Honestly though it's not like it's a dreambike pricewise though. I love my Rex as much as I love my 18' factory Tuono but I would want something in writing before I let some one on my Aprilia. Even if I got burned I could easily replace the Rex the Aprilia would be a bit more difficult though.

Father Joe

Does anyone remember a good many years ago that MPFab (Walker Morgan) showed up at Skeenah Creek for the YTRAP rally with his 2012 (didn't know it at the time) ZRX Of The Year. And then let a bunch of these darn hooligans ride it.

I think Tacmedic was in that very very select fraternity.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

President of the ZRXOA

sharing

I donít like to share anything that goes between my legs, including but not limited to, my motorcycles and women.

Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Certainly you share a good fart now and then?
    ZRXOA #9877
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

President of the ZRXOA

sharing

Those are given only to my best of friends.

Preferably in an enclosed cabin of an airplane.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Respect! Nothing like a "captured" audience
    ZRXOA #9877
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

BadAss Hooligan

And I have heard the excuse-You have insurance if something happens you are covered. No not a valid excuse. The same guy took the bike to get a tire changed and complained when they took it for a test ride in front of him. I had told him a bike shop tests your vehicle and wrecks it-they have insurance to cover it.
    Last edited by pete11zrx; 05-15-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    Member # 7722

BadAss Hooligan

I have other bikes that I've let good friends ride but the ZRX's are a nope, nada, ain't happening.
    It's not a thing about insurance/repairs, it's about getting bodywork for them.
    Even if the money is there the parts may not be.
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

BadAss Hooligan

sharing

I would, at most, let maybe 2 ppl I know ride my bike. Name:  smiley-transport031.gif
Views: 153
Size:  7.5 KB The rest have to have $3500 cash in my hand first
    Last edited by Cundalini; 05-15-2019 at 07:35 PM.

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Hell, the last time someone asked to ride my bike, I said "Put $10,000 cash in my had first". That was the end of the discussion
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

President of the ZRXOA

In all seriousness, if someone hands me a bike worth equal to or more than mine, Iím usually up for sharing it for a short putt while Iím with them on their bike.

I used to be....

The only ones I let ride are our kids, they can ride any of them. Taking the Honda CRF250L supermoto to the youngest tonight and he'll probably keep it until winter. The only ZRX we have is the one the kids built and they let me ride it