+ Reply to Thread
    Hooligan

77 Z400 clutch problems

Hi there,
    I have recently pulled the clutch apart to inspect as this bike has been sitting a long time.

Found a couple of suspect friction discs and ordered some new ones. Received same and put clutch back together.

Now, the push rod does not seem to be pushing the plates apart as expected. The lever has no tension and has gone loose.

Everything seems to be in the right place apart from the manual calling for 2x shims under the circlip (16) shown on my photo with the cotton bud pointing to it. I only have 1.

The push rod ball is in place.

The replacement friction discs are the correct ones.

The sequence of plates and rings are correct.

I am wondering how this could be as this is a mechanical operation as opposed to a slave cylinder push rod operation.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

The other issue I have is that I am unable to remove the sprocket cover. I think it must be seized on the gear shifter.

Thanks, Dean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadAss Hooligan

Re: 77 Z400 clutch problems

The clutch looks like it is disengaged like you have the lever pulled in. Something is wrong, I'd take the clutch back apart and make sure the push rod and cable move as expected.
    My other rides:
    1968 Harley Davidson XLH
    1986 Honda V65 Magna 1100
    1985 Honda V45 Magna 700
    2001 Harley Electra Glide 124" S&S
    2005 Honda CR450F

Hooligan

Make sure item #10 the ball is installed. Easy to misplace. Also make sure it is still round and not flat spotted. This is a very common issue

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    The clutch looks like it is disengaged like you have the lever pulled in. Something is wrong, I'd take the clutch back apart and make sure the push rod and cable move as expected.

Trapper John

Roger on number 10 Ball, I've seen that one happen before! Nice manual exploded view!!
    zdaneman
    Curve Carver !!

Hooligan

Should see what happens when someone is not paying attention and the ball falls into the motor. Then that person puts everything back together and starts the bike to see how the clutch works. The missing ball somehow gets into the clutch basket and starts bouncing around.

Quote Originally Posted by zdaneman View Post
    Roger on number 10 Ball, I've seen that one happen before! Nice manual exploded view!!

BadAss Hooligan

He states the ball is in place in his original post.

It's possible if he pulled the clutch lever in while the plates where out the worm gear or clutch rod is frozen but if that took place you'd think installing the clutch springs would be next to impossible to install.

I'd suggest removing the sprocket cover and make sure the worm gear and clutch cable are working correctly.

Wayne

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Thanks Casper,
    I am hoping to get the sprocket cover off as well to get a real good look from the lever to clutch basket.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by oldkaw79 View Post
    Make sure item #10 the ball is installed. Easy to misplace. Also make sure it is still round and not flat spotted. This is a very common issue
    Thanks OldKaw,
    When I pull it back out, Iíll check it for flat spots. I canít recall seeing any though.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA-ZRX View Post
    He states the ball is in place in his original post.

It's possible if he pulled the clutch lever in while the plates where out the worm gear or clutch rod is frozen but if that took place you'd think installing the clutch springs would be next to impossible to install.

I'd suggest removing the sprocket cover and make sure the worm gear and clutch cable are working correctly.

Wayne
    Thanks Wayne, I can see the worm gear moving but it doesnít look like it is moving much. Got to get that cover off to have a real good look at the linkage operation.

BadAss Hooligan

It looks like thereís quite a bit of freeplay in your cable, have you tried backing off the adjustment screw at the lever to take up some of the slack?

BadAss Hooligan

Does it have a nylon spiral that actuates the pushrod ? Those can wear out.

Hooligan

77 Z400 clutch problems

Quote Originally Posted by RixRex View Post
    It looks like thereís quite a bit of freeplay in your cable, have you tried backing off the adjustment screw at the lever to take up some of the slack?
    Rixrex,
    I will try that. Iím yet to get back to the bike. Iíve got to get this sprocket cover off so I can have a look down in there. I think I saw somewhere that the cable adjustment at top and mid should be reset after any work has been done, so Iíll do that. Thanks.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by eddy21 View Post
    Does it have a nylon spiral that actuates the pushrod ? Those can wear out.
    It does have the worm gear Eddy. It seemed to be working fine before I disassembled the clutch, but I am going to check that out. Just got to get the sprocket cover off first. Thanks.

Hooligan

Hi all,
    update on my clutch issue. I was finally able to get the sprocket cover off after spraying the seals repeatedly over a few days where the gear shift shaft goes through.

What I found behind there makes me want to check the Rex out as soon as I can.

The inside of the sprocket cover and clutch actuator were covered in a cement like compound. It was hard to break up and remove.

Once I cleaned it all out, took all the components apart and lubed everything, I put it back together and the clutch seems to be moving like it should.

I am thinking that whilst I had the clutch apart and the pressure was off the push rod, the actuator has moved and seized in a position that didnít allow free movement.

Maybe when I pushed the clutch plate pusher back in I pushed the push rod back and it pushed the actuator out of place then.

I am guessing but thatís all I can put it down to.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions.

Thanks, Dean.