+ Reply to Thread
    No More Clowns
    relocating..... USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Any of you Hooligans live in Tacoma, WA?

It's not a set deal yet.... but Tacoma, or somewhere in it's close surroundings may be our next home.... If any of you have any input, we'd love to read it! We've done some googling and such.... but coming from some of yous guys, it'd be more realistic.....

D

CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

"Feb. 22 '05" and a single word, "counselor"

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R Bleu (sold)
    1995 Honda VFR750f (sold)

Father Joe

Re: Any of you Hooligans live in Tacoma, WA?

Tacoma (Tack Oh Mu) is a partial military town. There's an army base AND an airforce base on the south side of town. Now known as Joint Ft. Lewis McCord Base. Or something like that. Was always the usual problems that went with a military base in the greater community. Crime. Hookers. Dead beats. Just...just...just shit.

I lived there in the later 1980's for 2 years or so. Taken as a whole I'd leave it behind. The west side of Tacoma is on Puget Sound. Water. Nice. But overall I'd skip it if I had another opportunity.

What are your other options?
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

Tanner's Photo Assistant

I'm 15 miles southeast of Tacoma and it has gone through a bit of a gentrification over the last 20 years. There are several nice pockets within the city borders as well as some others in the surrounding towns. The financial district downtown has been cleaned up tremendously with theaters and restaurants a plenty. Brown's Point is the nicest area on the northeast side, Old Town is close to Puget Sound and is a nice part of North Tacoma, Ruston, Fircrest, and University Place all offer nice neighborhoods.

As mentioned, I would avoid areas close to Joint Base Lewis-McChord such as Lakewood, Parkland, Spanaway....
    ZRXOA #2754

I cut it twice and it's still too short!!

Originally Posted by philobeddoe
    ..........wanna know the law? ask a criminal, not a cop.........

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ZREX MIKE View Post
    I'm 15 miles southeast of Tacoma and it has gone through a bit of a gentrification over the last 20 years. There are several nice pockets within the city borders as well as some others in the surrounding towns. The financial district downtown has been cleaned up tremendously with theaters and restaurants a plenty. Brown's Point is the nicest area on the northeast side, Old Town is close to Puget Sound and is a nice part of North Tacoma, Ruston, Fircrest, and University Place all offer nice neighborhoods.

As mentioned, I would avoid areas close to Joint Base Lewis-McChord such as Lakewood, Parkland, Spanaway....
    I'm really glad to hear of these upgrades and improvements Mike. Between the topography and the proximity to wonderful water (inland Puget Sound) I've always thought that Tacoma was ever-so-close to really being a place worth living.

Kwackifoofoo

Tanner's Photo Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    I'm really glad to hear of these upgrades and improvements Mike. Between the topography and the proximity to wonderful water (inland Puget Sound) I've always thought that Tacoma was ever-so-close to really being a place worth living.
    It really has improved and with the development along the water on Ruston Way, Tacoma has become a great destination for those visiting the Puget Sound. As a kid we could smell Tacoma from our house now that's 15 miles away. After all, it's most notable trait back then.............."The aroma of Tacoma".
    ZRXOA #2754

BadAss Hooligan

It really has improved and with the development along the water on Ruston Way, Tacoma has become a great destination for those visiting the Puget Sound. As a kid we could smell Tacoma from our house now that's 15 miles away. After all, it's most notable trait back then.............."The aroma of Tacoma".
    Very familiar with "the aroma of Tacoma" since I went to Pacific Lutheran University in Parkland from 1967 to 1970. But you just reminded me, Mike, that I haven't smelled it in years. In fact it's a pretty nice ride down to your place. Even nicer heading out from your place toward Mt. Rainier and Chinook Pass!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)

The Busa Cop

Beautiful places around Washington.
    Had enough of Houston already?
    Do you like rain? Wife took me to school on Washington
    State weather.

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

No More Clowns

We've done some research and my Wife is there now for an interview... No C10.... we haven't had enough of Houston yet haha!!! But..... a significant raise could make a big difference!

Thank you for the input guys! It seems like a place ...like most places.... a good side and some bad sides!

CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."
    "The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Derro View Post
    We've done some research and my Wife is there now for an interview... No C10.... we haven't had enough of Houston yet haha!!! But..... a significant raise could make a big difference!

Thank you for the input guys! It seems like a place ...like most places.... a good side and some bad sides!

Birmingham, Alabama, is situated at the foothills of the Appalachian mountain range. Just sayin'...........................

Kwackifoofoo

No More Clowns

Birmingham, Alabama, is situated at the foothills of the Appalachian mountain range. Just sayin'...........................
    I don't get to choose where we're going....
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR

BadAss Hooligan

Tacoma is situated at the foot of Mt. Rainier and the Cascade Range. Short ride to Windy Ridge up the back side of Mt. St. Helens, Windy Ridge through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, and some other nice roads.

Prolly more people than Alabama though.

---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)

Tanner's Photo Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
    Tacoma is situated at the foot of Mt. Rainier and the Cascade Range. Short ride to Windy Ridge up the back side of Mt. St. Helens, Windy Ridge through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, and some other nice roads.

Prolly more people than Alabama though.

We have much higher housing costs as well..............definitely something to consider if basing your move on a raise in pay.
    ZRXOA #2754

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
    Mike gave us the VIP tour last summer. Great roads / scenery.

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

Thread Hijacker
    Fun City so Cal. on the West Coast of our U. S. of A.

Quote Originally Posted by c10 View Post

Beautiful places
    around Washington .

Had enough of
    Houston already ?

Do you like rain ?

Wife took me
    to school on
    Washington
    State weather .

No More Clowns

We have much higher housing costs as well..............definitely something to consider if basing your move on a raise in pay.
    Well.... quick backstory.... We are from San Diego CA.... where your money and taxes go to the politicians and nothing else.... The median house cost is $643k ...... then we moved to Houston.... where the people are much more friendly and the median house cost dropped to $258k.... It appears the median home cost in Tacoma is $312k... So we are still pretty good with it!

The only real negative of Houston, to me is the lack of hilly..... our mountainous roads. Getting to Tacoma has it's positives and negatives ....... We did a good ol fashioned Quantitative Pros and Cons list and moving to Washington, or AZ tips the quantitative scale (in favor of) DRASTICALLY because either place gets us closer to family or friends we already have.
    CLOWNS ARE MY FAVORITE..

ZRXOA# 8889

Current 2016 BMW S1000XR