+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tinnitus

Hooligan

Re: Tinnitus

Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    I wear earplugs for everything now after decades in heavy construction. I have a slight whine but it's not bothersome yet.
    I even wear them for mowing the lawn, snow blower, hammering, power saws. You name it.
    Iím the same way. Hearing protectors all the time now. Even when in the garage with the compressor, grinder, buffer etc. Just trying to mitigate any further issues.
    Mike

BadAss Hooligan
    Stranded just south of delirium and north of nirvana........

Right ear constant, Left ear transient, no significant hearing loss thank goodness, guns, loud music, hot rods/machinery.

I've been blessed w/ the ability to ignore it as I've been told that for some it can be debilitating.
    "Lord grant me strength and health....we'll steal the rest"

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave 436 View Post
    24/7/365 for me too. Result of 37 years in a noisy printing plant. In the 70's and early 80's hearing protection was not mandatory. Actually received a small settlement on retirement. Left ear is pretty bad but mostly bothers me at night. Right ear comes and goes but when it does ring I freak out thinking what if it continues constant like the left.

ENT guy pretty much said not much can be done other than masking it as others have said. I also had a bout with vertigo diagnosed as BPPV benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Let me say that REALLY sucked! Mostly when laying down or getting up from bed or sitting. Severe spinning and nausea. It arose after my triple bypass surgery and I was told could have been from laying in one position for surgery. Took 3 months to subside. Doc did this epley maneuver head position thing that seemed like smoke and mirrors to me. Between recovery from heart surgery and the vertigo it was a real fight to get back to work.

Anyway back to tinnitus I'm now anal about hearing protection. ALWAYS wear ear plugs riding and mowing. I have a pretty much lifetime supply of disposable plugs from where I used to work.

Anyone reading this hearing problems or not wear hearing protection when riding, shooting , mowing, etc. !!!!!!! You might just save yourself from loss/tinnitus.
    I started a thread on hearing protection last year because I read an article that had MC's high on the list of culprits. I'm thinking Harley riders have it worse because many of them wear those faux "half" helmets that don't cover the ears. I wore an old one I had lying around from my old KZ750 LTD Twin last week and decided no more. The sound of the wind going by was literally deafening. Its all I could hear.

I was mistaken, gammer started a thread on wind db http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...=1#post4334279
    Last edited by Cundalini; 07-20-2019 at 02:30 PM.

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

I use something similar to these that I picked up at an air show. I leave them hanging in the shed. They go on in two seconds and you can have dirty hands with no worries.
    Hang around the neck when not needed and washable.
    I've had the same pair for years. The foam inserts have a soft non porous shiny coating.
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-Rflex-Hear...ateway&sr=8-42
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

I've been using ear plugs when I ride for the past several years. That's when I remember to. I know use a rubber band and attach them to my clutch-side hand grip.

I have a couple of different designs to choose from. And, I always carry extra pairs on my bike.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Mine is also 24/7/365. It's constant. I've communicated with many that have it. I deal with mine quite effectively. I just ignore it. Even in a quiet room, I can still sleep fine.

I'm aware of it all the time, but yet I can block it out. For me, that's a real blessing. I was going to look into some help to see if it can be even better managed, but from what I have heard from others, it's hit / miss.

I've gone this long (30 yrs. or more) with it. I figure that I can do another 20.

Same deal, for about 20yrs. Turn it sideways and ignore it.
    God, grant others the serenity and wisdom to change the things I cannot accept.

'We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.' -Anais Nin

69 H1 500
    71 H2 750
    73 Z1
    74 Z1
    76 KZ650
    78 Z1R
    00 HD XLHC (11yrs 206,000mi)
    85 CB700SC
    99 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    I use something similar to these that I picked up at an air show. I leave them hanging in the shed. They go on in two seconds and you can have dirty hands with no worries.
    Hang around the neck when not needed and washable.
    I've had the same pair for years. The foam inserts have a soft non porous shiny coating.
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-Rflex-Hear...ateway&sr=8-42
    It doesnít look like you can wear them under a helmet though, can you?

BadAss Hooligan

No, those can't be worn under a helmet. It's for protecting what's left of your hearing while working.
    They're the most convenient of all.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

I bought a set of bigears custom plugs that have filters in them. https://www.bigearinc.com/product/mo...ng-protection/ . I bought the short ones so it's easier to port my helmet on and off. I bought them with the 9db, 25db and solid (for the shooting range). They're great. I listen to music over a cardo packtalk slim and the music actually even sounds better with the 25db filters in. I wear them any time I'm riding now, love em.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

BadAss Hooligan

When I go shooting I wear the -32db foam plugs PLUS the over the ear head phone type.
    No percussion shall enter my ear drum.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent View Post
    I bought a set of bigears custom plugs that have filters in them. https://www.bigearinc.com/product/mo...ng-protection/ . I bought the short ones so it's easier to port my helmet on and off. I bought them with the 9db, 25db and solid (for the shooting range). They're great. I listen to music over a cardo packtalk slim and the music actually even sounds better with the 25db filters in. I wear them any time I'm riding now, love em.
    Interesting iíll look into those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

Mine is also 24/7/365. It's constant. I've communicated with many that have it. I deal with mine quite effectively. I just ignore it. Even in a quiet room, I can still sleep fine.

I'm aware of it all the time, but yet I can block it out. For me, that's a real blessing. I was going to look into some help to see if it can be even better managed, but from what I have heard from others, it's hit / miss.

Ditto. Army field diesel generators ran 24/7 on field problems in mid-70s. Stones concert in Frankfurt, 1976, ears rang for three days. Playing in bands off and on for a lot of years--finally started wearing hearing protection. Loud bikes with Kerker pipes and didn't wear earplugs back in the day.

Wearing hearing aids now. They actually help with the ringing.
    ďIs life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!Ē Patrick Henry, American patriot.

"Red is faster of course" 8/5/19 Ca Pete acknowledges the obvious.

Hooligan

I put mine down to 30 years of mil flying made worse by wind noise from 30 years of bikes. I don't have the ringing, I get the low frequency humm. It's a bit like a trip down the back of a C130 with out-of-sync props or some days like a very loud humming refrigerator. Left side dominant too. Can be a proper bitch some nights when it's all quiet in bed. Just gonna live with it I guess.

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

Years of shooting and hunting, working night clubs, and 22 years of a dogs barking in my ear inside closed vehicles. Rings 24/7.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Rickrides View Post
    Ditto. Army field diesel generators ran 24/7 on field problems in mid-70s. Stones concert in Frankfurt, 1976, ears rang for three days. Playing in bands off and on for a lot of years--finally started wearing hearing protection. Loud bikes with Kerker pipes and didn't wear earplugs back in the day.

Wearing hearing aids now. They actually help with the ringing.
    I'm betting Keef (Keith Richards ) has some serious hearing issues then as well as he's been standing in front of his stacks for decades

BadAss Hooligan

here too but not as bad as some of you guys - really only notice it in a completely quiet room

it gets frustrating as many of you know, I try to forget about it at bedtime by putting classical music on when I got to bed

Loud rock music, shooting, bikes, work - not sure what to blame but it is a bummer & just started a yr or so ago

TMZ of the ZRXOA

I thank my lucky stars, that as bad as mine is, it doesn't bother me all that much. Mine is more of a hissing sound, that chances pitch and tone at times.

I know for fact that it does interfere with my overall hearing. My wife reminds me of that every now & then............

BadAss Hooligan

mine is constant high pitch sound - very high - it can be very annoying

my hearing was tested - I can still recognize even some of the highest pitches though there was a weird gap in the middle range I could not detect in one ear, weird

even as I can hear the notes during testing, my general hearing isn't what it used to be

getting old aint for panzies

Legal Eagle

I've had it for as long as I can remember, it's become almost invisible to me. I think it is the cosmic background noise from the Big Bang.

Hooligan

All the time, some days louder than others.

I picked mine up originally from a particular type of eardrop prescribed for an ear infection I got in a tropical swimming pool. Exacerbated by motorcycling without earplugs when younger, and from "white noise" in computer classrooms.
    I can generally ignore it, but sometimes it is just too loud.

Every so often I put a couple of drops of olive oil in my ears, it gives some relief, but not always.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

BadAss Hooligan

The Ultimate Tinnitus Insult

I'm DEAF in my right ear but have a constant roaring in that 'ear' all the time. Talk about adding insult to injury
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Hooligan

Mine never goes away. It will change pitch all of the sudden. Could also be TMJ. Ultimately, it has to do with the auditory section of the brain that causes the ringing, hissing, etc,,,.
    82' maxim 400
    78' CB 750 four
    78' KZ 1000
    84' GPZ 750 TURBO
    99' ZRX 1100
    00' ZRX 1100

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by springer815 View Post
    Mine never goes away. It will change pitch all of the sudden. Could also be TMJ. Ultimately, it has to do with the auditory section of the brain that causes the ringing, hissing, etc,,,.
    So my brain is ROARING in my dead ear???
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Interesting responses. I thought that it was a rather common issue. Now I know for sure.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by springer815 View Post
    How is TMJ connected ? curious ...thx

The Young and the 'Rex-less

Im 37 and noticing it already as well as the "huh, can you say that again?" response to a lot of questions. Im legit turning into you old guys
    Quote Originally Posted by bkra13 View Post
    Youngzrxer - the only guy that can sound like he's 13 and 80 years old in one post.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    Young'un was right on the mark with his opinions.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    Im 37 and noticing it already as well as the "huh, can you say that again?" response to a lot of questions. Im legit turning into you old guys
    haha - even worse you are ! (yoda)

I hear just fine - only when very quiet - does the high pitch become noticeable

I did have the floating cartilage in my left jaw get displaced due to gum chewing as I shoveled snow, and the dr. had to work it back into place , and as such I have a script for cyclobenzaprine for if it happens again, it was called TMJ they said , so I am curious why the one poster mentioned tmj for tinnitus