+ Reply to Thread
    Licensed to Mod

New member...new project

I wanted one of these way back on 2001...had a Bandit and still have but this thing nipped at my brain for years.
    Anyway me and my mate were out on a run and happened upon a Triumph bike store. At the back of the shop was one of these and it was everything to me. My bro was a massive Triumph nut and said "just buy it...just buy it...I'll lend you the cash"
    I couldn't do it because reasons.
    About a month later he turned up at my door with this bike saying "here's the keys take her for a spin" I honestly thought he'd bloody bought that bike from our run out and he knew it haha....played me a good 'un. Anyway it was a different bike and it was his..no worries we had loads of ride outs until he got serious about his Triumphs.

This bike has come to me through pain and loss but also through heaps of fun and laughter and damn good memories.
    It's an 8 year mess that fall to me to get back on the road and ride it like it deserves.
    Little cash to spend so don't expect much...but ridden it will be.
    Guys, any advice is appreciated.
    Name:  DSC_0588.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  1.32 MBName:  DSC_0594.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  1.13 MBName:  DSC_0581.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  4.56 MBName:  DSC_0608.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  1.23 MBName:  DSC_0596.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  1.35 MB

2009 Hooligan of the year

Re: New member...new project

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Little cash to spend so don't expect much...but ridden it will be.
    From the looks of those photos its going to take more than just a little cash to get that thing road worthy again. Tires for starters, of course. Carbs will not only need a good going through, but also replacement of all the rubber o-rings. Honestly, your best bet there is to box them up and send them to KWICK. The petcock has a little o-ring in the back that will need replaced - very little expense but a must do to avoid future problems. Looks like its been sitting outside, so all the rubber tubes/hoses/carb boots, etc. would be suspect and need to be closely inspected (at a minimum) and (likely) replaced to ensure no vacuum leaks. The list goes on and on and on. Lots to do there.

Just had a moment to look a little closer at the pics.

Given the angle of this valve stem, there's a good chance there is a tube in that tire.

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  145.7 KB

That's some serious pitting on those upper fork tubes. Doesn't look like the lower portions are as badly rusted. Maybe that's grease that somebody thought to smear on there to protect the lower legs?

Name:  Clipboard02.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  Clipboard03.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  108.5 KB
    Last edited by zrx24; 04-26-2019 at 05:47 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

If you need any bits Iíve got some stuff and any questions just pm me and Iíll give you my number also there are some good guys on the OC aswell
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

BOTM JUNE 2018 THE VANILLA GORILLA

BadAss Hooligan

If you need any bits Iíve got some stuff and any questions just pm me and Iíll give you my number also there are some good guys on the OC aswell oh ja I forgot to ask what does the tank look like inside? I also have a set of stock headers if you need
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

Color Monitor

I suggest that you start by giving everything a thorough cleaning before you do anything else. It will be impossible to tell what needs attention until you get all of that crud off of it. Then see zrx24's recommendations above to get you started.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

Licensed to Mod

Yeah forks have been greased. Im no stranger to working on bikes so will do most of the work myself.
    Everything will come off the bike back to a bare frame and I will rebuild it and tidy, clean and repaint or replace as I go. Carbs will be stripped out soon and cleaned. As you say the O rings will be suspect.
    Although it was stored in a garage, a fair bit of the hoses have turned.
    Tank is showing signs of rust inside. No fuel in it so Id guess it evapourated..meaning the carbs are probably gummed.
    Haha my mate would be laughing at me now with the work ahead but also a little jelous of having a cool project like this.

President of the ZRXOA

Subscribed! I always like following a good restoration project.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

2009 Hooligan of the year

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    +1

Be sure and share the adventure and post up pics as you go!

Hooligan

Wow, just when I thought I was subscribed to enough threads on this forum.....
    All the best with the resto Hawkmoon and in case you don't know, it's illegal not to post photos and regular updates!
    2006 ZRX 1200R in proper flat lime green.
    1982 Z400J3 - the project..

BadAss Hooligan

I'm in too. Can't get enough of these.

Good luck with your resto Hawk and do not hesitate to ask whenever you're in doubt or stuck. Everybody here (except me) is very knowledgeable and you will get answers in no time.
    Godspeed Jaco. You're missed down here mate.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

The Mod Father

.... I always like following a good restoration project.
    Me too....

This one needs a little "Tidy up"...
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart"

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY

Licensed to Mod

Wow! What have I done. I hope I can live up to some of the other projects on here..for sure a lot of the work Ive been looking at far outstrips my own capabillities and budget.
    My biggest worry is painting. Its the one thing I want to get right and I have never done it before. Primers, base coats, laquers and top coats..sounds like a minefield. The mechanical stuff doesnt worry me but this does. Its what everyone gets that 1st impression from.

BadAss Hooligan

Wow! What have I done. I hope I can live up to some of the other projects on here..for sure a lot of the work Ive been looking at far outstrips my own capabilities and budget.
    My biggest worry is painting. Its the one thing I want to get right and I have never done it before. Primers, base coats, lacquers and top coats..sounds like a minefield. The mechanical stuff doesn't worry me but this does. Its what everyone gets that 1st impression from.
    Look up the projects of BG Wells. That man puts EVERYONE to shame with his magnificent work!!!
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Licensed to Mod

Just a few more from todays stripping session. Hope the images are not too big.

I'm getting closer to the bare frame. I have started looking at powder coaters too as it might be an option over home job wet paint finish. Will clean and paint engine at home...black.

I am thinking of going green with the frame but not sure if it'll be too much, anyone else done this?...if I do then maybe what about the wheels? Overkill?

Also what about all the alloy parts do you guys just polish back and keep on top of it or spray over it..as you can see most off the alloy is pitted and stained so rubbing back is going to be very time consuming.
    Give me a shout up what you guys would be doing.. might give me some ideas.

Name:  DSC_0586.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  961.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0594.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  4.44 MB

I wish people wouldn't bend both legs of a split pin around the bolt..it just makes life difficult (you wouldn't do that to the Mrs)
    Name:  DSC_0602.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  4.22 MB

Will replace the nuts and perhaps put dome nuts on to protect the threads
    Name:  DSC_0607.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.02 MB

Pitting only on top of forks and bottom was greased so protected
    Name:  DSC_0590.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  1.06 MB

Carbs next then engine, air box and loom
    Name:  DSC_0617.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  1.59 MB
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 04-29-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Hooligan

subscribed as well

Lots of members here carry parts. You might ant to consider getting a pair of shocks or other components in good shape here instead of spending the time, money and energy to refurbish yours... ?

Good luck!
    Member # 10024 - 99 ZRX1100
    Les Coqs Sauvages - We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us...
    "A little extra is never enoughÖtoo much is just right..." - KWICK

BadAss Hooligan

My personal opinion: I think the frame in green would be too much but the rims will look good in the bike color.

You can restore the shocks yourself. Just mask everything up well (also the internals) sand, prime and paint the springs and brush up the rest.
    My GPz shock did not look better than yours. See herehttp://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...=1#post4942999.
    This is the after pics.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

Hooligan

Subribed too! I would leave the frame black but would do the wheels in color, and polishing up the rims.
    If you need a good painter in the UK I know a great one, via the Z650 owners group. Does brilliant work and is a Kawa enthusiast.
    His name is Richard Trowsdale. If you want his e-mail I can get it for you so you could talk.
    The eyes are the window of the soul.

#10174 Z650b1 '77, Z650b2 '78, Z650c3 '79, ZRX 1100 R '98.

BadAss Hooligan

Carbs next then engine, air box and loom.
    Got some bad news for ya. You ain't gettin' those carbs out until you take out that horrible air box!!!
    And it only comes out ONE WAY!!! Do a search on the site for a 'How To".
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Licensed to Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    Got some bad news for ya. You ain't gettin' those carbs out until you take out that horrible air box!!!
    Really? does the two strips of 2mm sheet between rubbers and carbs not work here?

Also thinking filters so maybe the saw will make an appearance.

BadAss Hooligan

Really? does the two strips of 2mm sheet between rubbers and carbs not work here?

Also thinking filters so maybe the saw will make an appearance.
    Others have made that work, but not me!!!
    Big Harry

George Carlin

Calamity Gil

I would certainly befriend someone who powder coats. Also someone with a blast cabinet. Good luck, it has potential.
    ZRXOA membr #8704
    "It is not the strong but the responsive that survive."

BOTM Feb '13

BadAss Hooligan

It did work for me, going along with some cursing of course, but it worked.

Stuffed Up

Wow, BIG project you've taken on there Hawk. But that just means the satisfaction at the end will be bigger!

There is basically a thread on here for everything you will need to do, but "The Modfather" (BG Wells) has one of the best OVERALL "Tidy Up" threads. If it's not on this forum, it's not worth doing.

Good luck!!!!!

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, Ivan's Block off plates, FP Jetting (35/130, 2.5 turns out, 3rd click down 1 washer on top), Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer

Sheriff

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    Don't be silly, of course you can.

t20p1 :- pronounced tango two zero papa one

Licensed to Mod

So today I wanted the carbs and the loom out.

Carbs came out really easy after I took the airbox mounting screws out. I didn't need the two bits of strip as the rubbers were real soft, it took about 5 mins of wriggling after all fasteners were set free and I'd re routed the cables.

There's a small bit of damage on one of the rubber carb mounts, I will assume it was existent as there was no debris after removal.

Loom came out easy too and I managed to get lots of other stuff detached and put away.

Next step is the last of the cooling system and then engine removal. I will clean and paint engine myself but kinda thinking to have the frame and wheels powder coated professionally (so shout up you best UK powder coaters). This would just give me so much more back..solid coating and good glossy finish with decent scratch resistance. Still tempted to go green on the frame.
    If I get time I will take some pics of the plastic and show you the custom paint job..it is luminous green with like a gold dust in it. (The bike was originally purple I think, going on the colour under the tank)

Ive looked through other project posts and they are far better and more in-depth than what Ive given you here. you know who they are. these pics are really just to flesh out my progress. I like looking at project pics so I know you guys must like em too...just don't want to spam you with too many.
    Attached Images            
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 04-30-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Hooligan

Subscribed too.
    Looks like a ton of work.
    GL.
    1999 ZRX1100
    Few odds and ends:

Licensed to Mod

Just as an add on.. when on a refurb, what do you do with the alloy? just polish back and leave it? as you can see theres a good bit of pitting here and Im not sure the forward plan.

Should I polish or powder coat the SA?

Ta!

Licensed to Mod

Just a few pics of some cleaning. Chain will be replaced. Brake callipers have had a good going over and the comparison is lovely.

Glad I split them as the crud inside was heavy.
    Attached Images            

BadAss Hooligan

This is going to be a great thread and in subscribing now !