+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 37
  1. #1
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Quebec, Canada

    Finally getting my own ZRX

    After dreaming for years, I'm finally getting my own ZRX!

    5 years ago, my wife and I decided to get our motorcycle licenses together. The condition was that if I was to get a bike, she gets one too. She got herself a Shadow 750 since she's on the short side, and then after paying for the courses, riding gear, licenses, 1 bike and plates for it, we kindof had busted our bike project budget so me getting my own bike got put on the back burner and I just rode the Shadow instead.

    I had been wanting to get into riding for over 20 years, but just never had the money or time. Ever since we got the Shadow, every spring when bikes come out after winter the urge to get a new bike was back. I have been wanting to get a ZRX after seeing it and hearing comments on it for lots of years, but in Canada they usually go for 5500$ and up.

    Last week, I had shared an add for a vintage dirt bike a buddy was selling, he was asking 1000$ for it. My wife saw the add and she told me she was surprised I didn't ask her if I could have that bike since 1000$ wasn't much, I told her it wasn't the kind of bike I was looking for.

    I started looking online classified adds for cheap bikes, found an 84 Nighthawk 650 for 1500$ and showed it to the wife, she was ok with it. Found another 84 Nighthawk 650 in better shape for 2100$ and she was fine with it. I figured, why not check bike shops inventory too for cheap bikes and found a 41000 miles '03 ZRX 1200R (green) for 3400$. I went to check it out before work wednesday morning. The engine purred, and besides a bit of wear on the rear grab bars, a scratch on one side of the tank and a small dent on the other side, surface rust on the black exhaust headers and mirror stems, the bike was perfect.

    Later during the day, I told my wife about it, and that I knew I was stretching the bike budget a bit, going from 1000$ to 3400$, but that I had to have this bike. She knew how I loved it, I had pics of a 2003 green ZRX as wallpapers on both my laptop and PC for years. It's not that my wife didn't want me to have a bike, but since she's bringing home 50% of the household income, and with all other projects we're involved in, cash always has to be discussed.

    She told me to go get it. I went for a test ride last night, stopped at a buddy's house to give it a thorough inspection and then left a deposit. Delivery should be sometimes next week, I can't wait!

    Here's the link to the bike for obligatory pics: http://www.gouletmoto.ca/motorcycle-...m?locale=en_CA

    JF

  2. #2
    The Green Widowmaker
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Shakopee, MN

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Congrats on a very nice looking REX. The green ones are the quickest!

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    i gave him a stupid look and said that 'tricks are for kids' and i'd rather stunt his mom and walked out...

    Formerly known as Racer5349...........a fool by any other name is still a fool.

  3. #3
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Belfast, Ireland

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    You have good taste!
    Enjoy the new toy, hope you have many happy miles on it.
    2006 ZRX 1200R in proper flat lime green.
    1982 Z400J3 - the project..

  4. #4
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shiny Side Up ^

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Congrats JF!!! Good looking Rex. You do realize that this is just the beginning!!! Let the modding begin

    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  68.5 KB
    Big Harry

    "As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

  5. #5
    President of the ZRXOA
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Congrats!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

    CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

    2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

  6. #6
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Palmer Lake, CO

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Great story, and welcome!
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1” risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40’s@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

  7. #7
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Quebec, Canada

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    Congrats JF!!! Good looking Rex. You do realize that this is just the beginning!!! Let the modding begin

    Attachment 309273
    I don't know if I'll be modding it much, I'll probably look into getting back some stock blinkers for it and removing the bullet studs/screws the previous owner installed at various places. I had an 03 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon a few years back and I know once you start modding, it doesn't stop and gets expensive real fast!

    JF

  8. #8
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shiny Side Up ^

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Name:  Mod Doc.gif
Views: 341
Size:  26.5 KB
    Big Harry

    "As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

  9. #9
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockoliCosmique View Post
    After dreaming for years, I'm finally getting my own ZRX!

    5 years ago, my wife and I decided to get our motorcycle licenses together. The condition was that if I was to get a bike, she gets one too. She got herself a Shadow 750 since she's on the short side, and then after paying for the courses, riding gear, licenses, 1 bike and plates for it, we kindof had busted our bike project budget so me getting my own bike got put on the back burner and I just rode the Shadow instead.

    I had been wanting to get into riding for over 20 years, but just never had the money or time. Ever since we got the Shadow, every spring when bikes come out after winter the urge to get a new bike was back. I have been wanting to get a ZRX after seeing it and hearing comments on it for lots of years, but in Canada they usually go for 5500$ and up.

    Last week, I had shared an add for a vintage dirt bike a buddy was selling, he was asking 1000$ for it. My wife saw the add and she told me she was surprised I didn't ask her if I could have that bike since 1000$ wasn't much, I told her it wasn't the kind of bike I was looking for.

    I started looking online classified adds for cheap bikes, found an 84 Nighthawk 650 for 1500$ and showed it to the wife, she was ok with it. Found another 84 Nighthawk 650 in better shape for 2100$ and she was fine with it. I figured, why not check bike shops inventory too for cheap bikes and found a 41000 miles '03 ZRX 1200R (green) for 3400$. I went to check it out before work wednesday morning. The engine purred, and besides a bit of wear on the rear grab bars, a scratch on one side of the tank and a small dent on the other side, surface rust on the black exhaust headers and mirror stems, the bike was perfect.

    Later during the day, I told my wife about it, and that I knew I was stretching the bike budget a bit, going from 1000$ to 3400$, but that I had to have this bike. She knew how I loved it, I had pics of a 2003 green ZRX as wallpapers on both my laptop and PC for years. It's not that my wife didn't want me to have a bike, but since she's bringing home 50% of the household income, and with all other projects we're involved in, cash always has to be discussed.

    She told me to go get it. I went for a test ride last night, stopped at a buddy's house to give it a thorough inspection and then left a deposit. Delivery should be sometimes next week, I can't wait!

    Here's the link to the bike for obligatory pics: http://www.gouletmoto.ca/motorcycle-...m?locale=en_CA

    JF
    Excellent buy. Congrats.

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Quebec, Canada

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    LOL good one Big Harry!
    JF

  11. #11
    Color Monitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    in process.




    TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!


  12. #12
    avtech3d
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona 85286

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Welcome to the asylum
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    I is Approving Stuff

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    SoCal: Splitting Lanes Since 1968...

    Welcome To The Board...

    .


    Congratulations, and it sounds like you and your wife make a great couple, so double Congratulations !




    .


    Sometimes I forget people can see me make the jerk off motion when they're talking to me...

  14. #14
    Bitches Be Krazy....
    What the HELL!!!!

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Kingman AZ

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    your going to love it , Ive had mine for 18yrs and still will not let it go
    Team Short



    2010 KTM RC8r 1198
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1224r (Green) Rocket --- MAY 2015 BOTM
    2001 Kawasaki zrx 1200r (Black) KCR Cafe Bike--- JULY 2015 BOTM
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200r (Red)
    2005 Kawasaki ZX10R Track Bike
    2000 Honda XR650R ( Plated ) Dual Sport

    Sprich nicht mit mir, du verrückter Mann!

  15. #15
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Quebec, Canada

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigrnzrx View Post
    your going to love it , Ive had mine for 18yrs and still will not let it go
    I'm sure I will.

    I the test drive was perfect. I rode a Vmax 1200 a few years back, as well as a smaller Ninja and a 2016 Goldwing and this was by far the comfiest bike to ride. The Vmax and Goldwing felt too heavy while I didn't like having to hug the Ninja's tank. And riding my wife's Shadow just gives me cramps in my legs and back aches from slumping forward. The ZRX has the perfect riding position.

    I had spoken with the shop's owner and asked him why he was selling it so cheap. He says that he took it as a trade in 3 weeks ago and got it for really low price and wanted to make room in his garage. He he said I'd be able to ask twice for the price in 3 years with how hard they're hard to find, but I told him it was a keeper, regardless of its price.
    JF

  16. #16
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Snohomish, WA

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockoliCosmique View Post
    I don't know if I'll be modding it much,

    JF
    Famous last words...

    Welcome! Good looking REX!
    You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office.


    Steve

    ZRXOA #6575

  17. #17
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    GTA Ontario, Canada

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Welcome, and great find.

    Rob, #10002

    2000 ZRX1100 C4 - Green. Ohlin's shocks, Corbin seat, fork brace, steering damper, Gimbel bugspoiler, ELS: KWICK Kill, +4 Advancer, Tension Tamer & ELS Rack ("lighter than the grab handles"), 65700 kms.

    1978 KZ650 C2 - Bored, ported, electronic ign., K&N, Delkevic SS Ex., braced forks and swingarm, Progressive suspension, steering damper, Koni shocks, Rickman fairing, Guiliari seat, GSXR Rearsets, 125,000 kms.

  18. #18
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    White Salmon WA USA

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Great story and congrats - you will love it.
    I also almost bought a nighthawk and rode one I liked, then saw the ZRX and like you it stretched my buget but I am so glad I did

  19. #19
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Quebec, Canada

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by klickitatal View Post
    Great story and congrats - you will love it.
    I also almost bought a nighthawk and rode one I liked, then saw the ZRX and like you it stretched my buget but I am so glad I did
    At first, I just wanted to get a Nighthawk since they're supposedly reliable and not too expensive to buy. I also did my motorcycle course on a Nighthawk 450 that was loads of fun, well, compared to the Shadow we have at home anyway. I didn't want to spend another summer getting back aches and leg cramps riding the Shadow anymore, and riding 2up on the Shadow is even worse as it struggles to go uphills.

    I've read lots of reviews of the Rexs over the years. I had only seen two of them before briefly. One of them while stopped at a red light, the bike's body was covered in putty and primer and I had a quick chat with the owner while waiting for the light to turn green, the other (green) parked at a hardware store as I drove by. They're pretty rare around here I guess. After doing a test ride this week, I've got to agree that it's the most comfortable bike I've ever rode, and I'm sure glad to have found one.

    My wife told me that with this she will not be getting me any present for my 40th birthday this fall, which I'm completely fine with. As I've been told today, when men turn 40 years old some get a perm and start cheating on their wifes, others just get a motorcycle instead... I'm grateful to have a wife to share my passion with
    JF

  20. #20
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    causing trouble near Milton, Ontario, Canada

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    That sound s and looks like a great bike. You are going to love love. love it
    like many other on here I sold my rex for something new and shiny
    But I did not go a year and I am getting another one.
    I know where it is The price has been settled
    I just need to make arrangements with customs find time to go and get it.
    Im so excited. That will make four bikes in the stable. but I know which one will get the most use
    Oh and its stock. and this time it is going to stay stock
    It may be the only one on the planet
    jp
    Johnnie Phatt
    Head honcho of project
    Rise of the Phoenix

    bring Dave if you must....Perko

  21. #21
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Davenport,Florida

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    You can have both

    Name:  2005PhilSpectorPA170512.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  159.2 KB
    #1212

  22. #22
    Do you feel BRUCE!, punk?
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Congrats on your "new" bike!
    2003 Green ZRX
    1983 Red Honda 1100F (sold)
    1983 Blue Honda 1100F (sold)
    1979 Honda CB650 Custom (broke cam/sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (bad cam/stolen/sold)

  23. #23
    Legal Eagle
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Welcome to the absolute best MC forum in the world.

    SS brake lines don't cost much and are worth the $$. How old are the tires? Do you know how to find the date on them?

    The REX likes to roll off its kickstand, so always park in 1st gear, but start her in neutral.

  24. #24
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    oakland county michigan

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Welcome and congratulations. You have a great wife. Enjoy.

  25. #25
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Quebec, Canada

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Name:  IMG_20190430_151916.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  3.25 MBName:  IMG_20190430_151916.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  3.25 MB

    It's finally home!

    Thanks for the advice! I've always taken care of leaving my bikes in gear when parking them, but this one the stand switch doesn't seem to be working. I'll have a look at that.
    JF

  26. #26
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Shiny Side Up ^

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Name:  Thats A Nice Bike.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  36.3 KB
    Big Harry

    "As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

  27. #27
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Quebec, Canada

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Well, started the maintenance...

    Chain was way dirty, got it looking better. Needs a new air filter. Fixed the heated grips as, two of the wires were cut and the fuse was blown...

    Doesn't seem like the shop did thorough inspection before delivery.
    JF

  28. #28
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    near Hamburg, Germany

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Sorry, posted in the wrong thread.

    But you’re welcome to the party too of course.
    Last edited by Black-ZRX; 05-01-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    Godspeed Jaco. You're missed down here mate.

    Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

  29. #29
    Beetle Bagged Hooligan
    KotF Firestarter

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central NY

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockoliCosmique View Post
    Well, started the maintenance...

    Chain was way dirty, got it looking better. Needs a new air filter. Fixed the heated grips as, two of the wires were cut and the fuse was blown...
    Doesn't seem like the shop did thorough inspection before delivery.
    Took it in on trade cheap & flipped making a buck or two off it, lot of shops operate that way & the "warranty" is nothing.

    Wife & I both ride, it's a nice way to get out and enjoy life, 130 mile run for an ice cream is normal.
    I just bought a '19 Z900 2 weeks ago after 17 years when the REX came home with me- up to 3 bikes now....
    Added a radiator guard, reflectors stripped / bolts changed out, different mirrors, brighter headlight bulbs, tidy tail kit on the rear section. A full exhaust system, different wind screen + frame / case sliders are the next things going on.
    Modding them never ends
    "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

    ZRXOA # 5243

  30. #30
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    God's Country

    Re: Finally getting my own ZRX

    Congrats.

    Just take a brass wire brush to the headers and spray them with black barbecue grill paint. Do it right on the bike, it lasts a long time.
    I've sprayed right over the rust and it still holds up good. The pipes stainless steel.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.7
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.
vBulletin 4.0 skin by CompleteVB