+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hooligan

Iím back... first time here in maybe 15 years - still need to work on my ZRX

Just trying to get back in the saddle again, after years of medical issues and bikes sitting dormant like aliens in the garage in various states of repair. Iím finally starting to work on my Ď99 ZRX1100 again. Iím mainly looking at a carb rebuild, as theyíre all gummed up, with gas and vacuum leaks, etc. I may finally install my Zx11d cams while Iím at it. And Iím putting a ZX11d wheel on the back, now that I think Iíve figured out the spacer flip.

My previous posts, long ago, were all from the San Diego area... I didnít stop to think when I moved to Upstate NY over 13 years ago that I wouldnít be able to ride all year, or that there was anything wrong with having a steep driveway...

Itís finally looking like Spring here (local joke: How do you know when it is Spring in Upstate? When you run a robin through the snowblower!), and looking forward to getting my rex back on the road. Been getting myself ready, too: new left hip and shoulder, and my broken foot (ice) is almost fully healed. Fun getting old.

Greetings to all - good to be back
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď99 ZRX1100 : Green, CVK40 carbs, ZX11 cams, ZX11 wheels, +4 advancer, Supertrapp tunable full system
    Ď11 GW250

Father Joe

Re: Iím back... first time here in maybe 15 years - still need to work on my ZRX

Welcome home fastfrank. We're glad that you're back.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

President Emeritus

Re: Iím back... first time here in maybe 15 years - still need to work on my ZRX

Welcome back, if you need help with your carb rebuild, checkout www.VenturiCity.com

Born In The USA

Welcome back!
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Devilsí Advocate

Sportsman is in your neck of the woods also.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

Welcome home
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

BadAss Hooligan

Welcome back Frank what area are you in "upstate"

President of the ZRXOA

Welcome back!!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Welcome back

Good luck getting the bike back up an running

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan

Name:  WELCOM-BACK_zps219fc524.gif
Views: 393
Size:  606.1 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Hooligan

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I'm around Utica NY in New Hartford - thankfully it isn't snowing today, and it might even hit 50 degrees. Might even be time to take the snow tires off the car & truck, but that's often a dangerous provocation.

I'll likely take my KZ twin out for an easy ride somewhere in awhile. Got lots of wrenching to catch up with, though.
    Aside from my ZRX, I'm going to resurrect my old 83 GS1100ES, which has been idle since frying the stator. Needs a good rewire from scratch, though.

Kwick mentioned Sportsman - anyone know where he usually resides?

Cheers,
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď99 ZRX1100 : Green, CVK40 carbs, ZX11 cams, ZX11 wheels, +4 advancer, Supertrapp tunable full system
    Ď11 GW250

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by fastfrank View Post

Cheers,
    Wallkill I think?

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Walkill - yup, that's about 3 hours from here, around the Catskills, maybe 4 with more scenic routes.

I'm way north of there, in what is more accurately called Central NY, but everyone in the city calls anything north of there "Upstate".
    There is some really good riding in the Catskills, and also up here in the Adirondacks, which I can reach in 40 minutes or so.

I still miss riding Mt Palomar out there in SoCal - I used to sneak out for long lunches to drive there while nobody is there to race - I'd seen some folks really hurt themselves there.
    I had an RC51 for a couple of years (until we had twins) and used to go way too fast up there, and it seemed to provoke a lot of folks to try to keep up.

I'm not trying to be fast these days, just enjoy being able to ride.
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

Devilsí Advocate

My grandparents settled Calcium NY...

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Wow - up around Watertown. Lots of Amish up that way these days. Still a lot of farming up that way. And great salmon fishing. They weren't very far from Canada. Most folks think I'm near the city when they hear "New York" , but from where I'm at it is usually faster to get to Canada than to the city.
    Your family still around there?
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

Devilsí Advocate

Wow - up around Watertown. Lots of Amish up that way these days. Still a lot of farming up that way. And great salmon fishing. They weren't very far from Canada. Most folks think I'm near the city when they hear "New York" , but from where I'm at it is usually faster to get to Canada than to the city.
    Your family still around there?
    Yes, much of the family is.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Welcome back.
    I feel your pain. Well at least in regards to the weather, not the broken bones or new hip. Itís actually snowing here right now.
    Mike

Hooligan

I wouldn't be surprised if we got more snow here, too; it happens. Sorry to hear it is still going on up there, though. Hang in there, brother. It'll be Spring soon.
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

Hooligan

You are way up there... closest I've been on wheels is Quebec city, although I've flown into St. Johns, Newfoundland. Some of my best motorcycle trips were definitely in Canada. The highlight was a long '97 trip that included a ride up the Yellowhead Hwy, up to Prince Rupert on the West Coast, right on the Alaska border. Absolutely stunning landscapes, scenic campsites and great fishing. I also camped in Alberta, at Jasper, where they warned me to stay away from the Elk, since it was calving season and they were aggressive - I woke up surrounded by them , but no issues (but at the same time watched a couple of bears trying to get into the trash containers). Weird to have moose walking by on the sidewalk in Banff, too. And I'll never forget the scene ahead of me as I rode up into Calgary, with a huge localized dark storm over the whole city, but was fine where I was, and you could see the whole scene from many miles away, it was so flat. Felt like something out of a movie.
    Beautiful country.
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

Hooligan

That trip was on a '97 Concours, btw. I put a lot of miles on that one.
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

Hooligan

You are way up there... closest I've been on wheels is Quebec city, although I've flown into St. Johns, Newfoundland. Some of my best motorcycle trips were definitely in Canada. The highlight was a long '97 trip that included a ride up the Yellowhead Hwy, up to Prince Rupert on the West Coast, right on the Alaska border. Absolutely stunning landscapes, scenic campsites and great fishing. I also camped in Alberta, at Jasper, where they warned me to stay away from the Elk, since it was calving season and they were aggressive - I woke up surrounded by them , but no issues (but at the same time watched a couple of bears trying to get into the trash containers). Weird to have moose walking by on the sidewalk in Banff, too. And I'll never forget the scene ahead of me as I rode up into Calgary, with a huge localized dark storm over the whole city, but was fine where I was, and you could see the whole scene from many miles away, it was so flat. Felt like something out of a movie.
    Beautiful country.
    Iíve spent lots of time out west and have seen the views youíre referring to. Incredible. Having grown up in Quebec I am quite used to the cold weather now and spend the winters skiing so it goes by fast.
    Iím planning a trip of the Gaspť peninsula this season. Itís beautiful and can be done from my house in a couple/three days.

http://www.quebecamoto.com/en/gaspesie

Hopefully I find the time this summer to get it in.
    Mike

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I'm around Utica NY in New Hartford - thankfully it isn't snowing today, and it might even hit 50 degrees. Might even be time to take the snow tires off the car & truck, but that's often a dangerous provocation.

I'll likely take my KZ twin out for an easy ride somewhere in awhile. Got lots of wrenching to catch up with, though.
    Aside from my ZRX, I'm going to resurrect my old 83 GS1100ES, which has been idle since frying the stator. Needs a good rewire from scratch, though.

Cheers,
    Welcome back. I used to work for PAR Microsystems out of New Hartford from 88 to 98.

Hooligan

BTW, Thanks for the tip on doing the carbs... might just take advantage of that. The one good local shop is buried in work for months, and his prices went way up. Plus, he's more of a Harley guy and doesn't know what a ZRX is without the manual. On the positive side of the ledger, he is a Ham Operator, as well.
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

Hooligan

PAR?! Yeah, I had hired some guys that used to work there. I still see their POS (Point of Sale, not the other one) terminals at McDonalds and such. They had some good software engrs.
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

Hooligan

OK, I have a few pics to show - I don't want to post in the wrong place, though, or more than one. I suppose this could be either the beginning of a project, or it could be the current state of a custom bike...
    Where would you guys suggest I post them? Don't really know my way around the twisty little passages here yet.

Cheers
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

Devilsí Advocate

OK, I have a few pics to show - I don't want to post in the wrong place, though, or more than one. I suppose this could be either the beginning of a project, or it could be the current state of a custom bike...
    Where would you guys suggest I post them? Don't really know my way around the twisty little passages here yet.

Cheers
    There are no wrong places...except P&R...

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Cool (this definitely isn't the zook GS site) ! Pics coming soon.
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

Hooligan

OK - couple of quick pictures of the current state:

Actually not that much "custom" on this particular bike, I have ZX11D wheels with the bright rims, pods, stock carbs, ted's (?) advancer, jet kit, supertrapp, cams in hand waiting to go in, and a bunch of other farkles that I don't even remember now (radiator brackets, etc.)...
    Name:  IMG_1962.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  2.40 MB
    Name:  IMG_1963.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  2.34 MB
    I almost uploaded a picture of my flat-side carbs on my GS, but caught myself. Actually, I wish those carbs WERE on the ZRX. Hmmm.

I'm hoping that ironing out the carbs will work some magic, and I'll be back on the road soon.

Cheers
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250

huckleberry squarepants

There are bunch of us here upstate. Boz is not far from Utica. I am in Rochester. Greg D. is in the area too.

Hooligan

Good to know some of you are up this way - I occasionally take the train over to Rochester to hear music, sometime freeload on recitals at Eastman (incl free food after), and visit Bernunzios music shop. Always fun, but often cold and windy as heck.

I canít believe it is snowing again this weekend. Thought we were done with that.
    fastfrank

Ď78 KZ750 twin
    Ď83 GS1100ES
    Ď11 GW250