+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Not for the Price but the Idea

I have a junk ZRX cylinder that would facilitate building one of these...

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/mpo...866443231.html

Name:  Ring Compressor.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  40.4 KB
    May the dust of your carriage wheels blind the eyes of your foes.

I used to be....

Re: Not for the Price but the Idea

Seems like a great idea for of us that don't do on a regular basis, pros have their methods, and may not benefit.

The other white meat.

I don't understand how it works. The pistons don't all go up and down together.
    -Steve
    ZRXOA Member 6902
    '99 Green

Team Short Bus..........

Bleeding Kawasaki since the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by crabs View Post
    I don't understand how it works. The pistons don't all go up and down together.
    Yes they do, just in a different sequence.

You can actually get them all in line at one point in the sequence.

SS
    For all the members we've lost - this board can only hope to help you live on in others. YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek, Mitch#101 and all the others you are forever remembered.
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    Perko has a good point though....

The other white meat.

Ahh. Gottcha!
    -Steve
    ZRXOA Member 6902
    '99 Green

Team Short Bus..........

Truly a BadAss Hooligan

But won't work if you have cylinder studs.
    1307cc BOTM March 09
    1/8 mile: 5.8385 @ 120.35 mph
    1/4 mile: 9.161

ZRXOA # 6771
    "A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man."

Smokey 'ash
    Arashphalt

Not for the Price but the Idea

A rounded screwdriver works awfully good to first feed the center pistons/rings into the block and then the outboard ones. I donít use the FSM instruction to use old bolts as a guide with their heads cut off. Others have used threaded rod. I find it helpful to be able to slightly rock the block fore/aft without any guide bolts in place.

Cylinder block installation.

That rig pictured in the first post looks neat and if it comes apart easily I can see how it would work good. If itís a pain to remove from around the cylinders I can see it taking more time than just the screwdriver method.

Do you think it would have enough clearance with the engine installed in the bike without hitting any frame down tubes?
    Last edited by AV80R; 04-15-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Zip ties work as well, but I always just use my hands and a helper tool like Arash showed. By hand you can tell if there is any issue before you break a ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrly View Post
    A lot of the fun is going out of this place at a real quick pace .

Got a sloppy shifter? I can fix that
    http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222626

Jims_rex 4430

Color Monitor

YTRAP always used the end opposite the cap on a Sharpie marker to work the rings into the bore. That's how he showed me to do it and it worked well for me.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan

This is a lengthy setup, but worth it IMO. I did this back in April 2002, 17 years ago, did not have any help so I had to improvise
    Copy/paste from 2002 thread !!

" After installing base gasket, dowel pins + pistons/rings on rods per shop manual, Rotate engine SLOWLY to level all pistons(keep cam chain taut and make sure pistons don't catch on skirts, gasket,etc), drop cam chain into and remove aft chain guide from advancer area(easily inst. latter).
    I used 2ea. 20in long by 3/8in. dia wood dowels, placed across under all piston skirts in front+back of connecting rods,now use shop rags to fill any remaining gap where the dowel would sit on outer edge(L+R) of lower crankcase gasket to snug dowels and protect gasket from damage, this holds pistons straigth.
    Piston ring compressors, go to your school supply section of walmart,etc, find you one of those flexible plastic (vinyl) 3 ring binders(about 1/16 thick), now cut 4ea. strips 9 1/2 in. long x 1/2in. wide, now wrap these around your piston rings and secure on center of strip with a large plastic 1/8in thick Zip tie and tigthen till all rings are compressed, beforehand you may want to wrap strips around a round object like a screwdriver handle to preset plastic to piston shape. Leave aprox. 1/16in exposed of piston on top of strip to engage pistons to cylinders.
    Now coat cylinder with oil, place carefully on top of pistons making sure everything is mating and all pistons are ligned up, push down straigth with even pressure to slide cylinder down pass rings(aprox 1in.), now cut/remove zip ties, strips, dowels, rags, then push down all the way and lign up with dowel pins.
    DONE , BTW make sure your cam chain opening is on the left side, heard of somebody put it on backwards the first time .
    Hope this Helps, Latter Allen#212 "

Orig. owner, 99 ZRX, 61k+
    ZX11D cams,pistons
    2017 Honda stick coils, DIM Harness
    Cam degree 105 int.,107 exh.
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti. needles,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N , no snorkle
    Full Akro S.S/Ti.
    Stock ignition w/Advancer
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.
    Ohlins shocks, Race tech fork
    Fork brace+Steering damper

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.