+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 24 34 ... LastLast
    Born In The USA

Re: AV80R’s 1980 Ford Pinto “Shaggin Wagon”

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    There is a law that says you cannot work on your own car in the driveway until 9am?
    I guess it depends on where you live, but it is considered rude to disturb your neighbors before 9 AM and after 9 PM.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Devils’ Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    Ford loved vacuum back then.
    ...that sucked....

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    There is a law that says you cannot work on your own car in the driveway until 9am?
    There’s a city ordinance that says you can’t work on your car in your driveway at all no matter what time it is!

That should have a filter screwed into the carb with a 5/16 line on it with a clamp. Take note of the locations and condition of the vacuum hoses as you are pulling stuff off. Ford loved vacuum back then.

I think purging the fuel line is a good idea, and a dangerous one.

Exactly as you mentioned.

It has oil

Before I pull the fuel line, I wanted to clean up the interior a little bit. It looks half decent after a half assed effort!

Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

The Green Widowmaker

Friend of mine lives in Wholesome Folsom. She can't even wash her car in the driveway. Ever. Strange place....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    i gave him a stupid look and said that 'tricks are for kids' and i'd rather stunt his mom and walked out...

Formerly known as Racer5349...........a fool by any other name is still a fool.

Devils’ Advocate

I've painted a couple-three dozen cars in my driveway...

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

If I couldn't putter around on my vehicles IN MY OWN FRIGGING DRIVEWAY, I'd go nuts.

I had no idea that CA. has such restrictions.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

Born In The USA

All those plastic vacuum lines are important, and fragile as egg shells. You can patch with rubber tubing as required. The hockey puck looking gadgets in the vacuum lines are check valves or delay restrictions. There will be vacuum solenoid valves scattered all over the place.

All computer related connectors have to be clean, as the computer is looking at tenths of volts. The ignition box looks like it might have a blue plastic part by the connector. That was a common one, and they are unreliable.

That electric part on the top of the carb looks like a purge solenoid. It's job is to block the bowl vent hose when the engine is running. It opens when you turn it off to allow vapors to flow downhill into the canister. If it doesn't work, it will pull fuel vapors into the carb and it will run very rich.

The tip of the idle stop solenoid looks like it has a wire on it. The throttle contacts it to provide a ground that the computer sees to know it is at idle.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

AV80R’s 1980 Ford Pinto “Shaggin Wagon”

Thanks Bill. You’re a freaking wealth of knowledge and I wish you were still local since you’re the best carb guru I know.

I disconnected the fuel line and cranked for awhile with nothing coming out.

So I grabbed some starting fluid, gave it a couple squirts, and then when I cranked the engine it started to come to life and I was able to hop out and squirt more starting fluid in the carb to keep it running.

Eventually some clear fluid (gas? water? ) started coming out of the fuel line so I stopped spraying and let the engine quit.

Buttoned it all back up, reconnected the fuel line and now time to see if we can get it to come to life.

Last edited by AV80R; 04-04-2019 at 12:39 PM.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

President of the ZRXOA

It’s alive! Runs pretty darn good. I only had to crank for about 20 seconds and it started idling well.

Brakes and clutch feel good.
    Tires feel oval.
    Power steering works, but the steering rack needs some love.
    Alternator light is on
    Horn doesn’t work

At least now I can move it into my garage to work on it without fear of getting cited by the cops.

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    If I couldn't putter around on my vehicles IN MY OWN FRIGGING DRIVEWAY, I'd go nuts.

I had no idea that CA. has such restrictions.
    It's not Kalifornia. It's Pleasanton, a very nice place to live. One of the reasons it's so nice, is there are not cars on blocks on the front lawn with shit everywhere. Houses there are very expensive because they are not next door to a junk yard. Most people there have someone in a pricey shop work on their fancy ass car, so it just isn't done.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Born In The USA

That silver box on the fenderwell at 10 seconds in on you video, is the voltage regulator, and looks like the solid state type. I would clean the connectors at the back of the alternator and the regulator. I think you have to slightly lift up the plastic part just above the regulator connector to get it to release.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

That silver box on the fenderwell at 10 seconds in on you video, is the voltage regulator, and looks like the solid state type. I would clean the connectors at the back of the alternator and the regulator. I think you have to slightly lift up the plastic part just above the regulator connector to get it to release.
    Thanks Bill! I’ll try that and report back.

Born In The USA

I am under pressure to produce a set of plans for an apartment remodel to go into the S.F. building department by tomorrow. They gave me the info yesterday. That's crazy. But I am still more interested in the progress on the Pinto.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

If there’s an old carbureted car that needs TLC, you’re drawn to it like a moth to a bright light!

BadAss Hooligan

Back in the day I thought Pinto's were a joke... sorry for those who had them and also like them. It was all about performance and power for me and the Pinto didn't have it plus it wasn't a standout.

After looking through the brochures that were posted and watching Arash get the Sylvester yellow beast up and running I wouldn't mine having one... get little fun car!

Looks like I should have been more broad minded back in the day

Great thread... it's been fun to watch

Wayne

President of the ZRXOA

Thats half the fun of it Wayne. No one ever thought that anyone would care about these disposable cars so 40 years on, now they are an endangered species and they’ve all been thrown away...when you see one again it’s like WTF?

Same thing happened with airplanes. Aeronca Champs and Cubs were throw away toys. The factories building them didn’t expect them to still be flying 70 years later.

Now they are treasured classics instead of throw away novelty airplanes.

Devils’ Advocate

"A Pinto in every front yard, Pleasanton CA."

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Arash, I love your projects. That rear bumper is wide enough to sit your whole family on it for a picnic.
    Godspeed Jaco. You're missed down here mate.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    "A Pinto in every front yard, Pleasanton CA."

Oh man, I’d be lynched and strung up in the town square if I had that out front!

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ZRX View Post
    Arash, I love your projects. That rear bumper is wide enough to sit your whole family on it for a picnic.
    Thanks Heino! Those federally mandated “5 mph” bumpers were a hideous phase of American automotive design.

My wife is telling me she ain’t driving in it. Ever!

BadAss Hooligan

Great analogy and it's so true!

Guess that's why we rode 15 plus year old motorcycles

Wayne

Devils’ Advocate

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

The cruising wagons look awesome. The only thing cooler was if they had the Rallye package too!

The Green Widowmaker

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    My BIL has one of these built as a drag car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    i gave him a stupid look and said that 'tricks are for kids' and i'd rather stunt his mom and walked out...

Formerly known as Racer5349...........a fool by any other name is still a fool.

Super Moderator
    I is Approving Stuff

damnnn.. What a trip back in time.. those were just cheap, little starter family station wagons to me.

Yours looks, and sounds pretty decent, have fun with it.

Sometimes I forget people can see me make the jerk off motion when they're talking to me...

President of the ZRXOA

Thanks! It’s giving me some joy for now. Hopefully that continues as I deal with the DMV paperwork and smog

So I went to the airport to help my buddy get his green ‘79 running.

We put a new battery and fresh fuel in the tank. It ran using starting fluid but we couldn’t get any fuel to come out of the line to the carb. The other guys think the mechanical pump needs to be primed.

We just rolled it off the trailer and parked it until he can figure out why there is no fuel moving to the carb.

The interior on this one is pretty clean, but what an ugly shade of brown framed by an even uglier green exterior.

They were all bragging about how it only has 3k miles on it

And then I noticed this on the windshield and the 3k miles magically turned into 103k miles

The engine bay on this one is much cleaner and tidier than mine. I need that smog pump!

The fuel hose to the carb looks like something from the lawn and garden section of Home Depot.

And it’s parked for now on the ramp.

I came to ride

It's not Kalifornia. It's Pleasanton, a very nice place to live. One of the reasons it's so nice, is there are not cars on blocks on the front lawn with shit everywhere. Houses there are very expensive because they are not next door to a junk yard. Most people there have someone in a pricey shop work on their fancy ass car, so it just isn't done.
    It's a double-edged sword. I can do any damned thing I want to on my property. Of course, my neighbors can too.

Here, meet my neighbor.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 89
Size:  1.55 MB
    '99 ZRX1100, Akropovic, jet kit
    '13 FJR1300, Givi touring stuff

Devils’ Advocate

One word:

AMC Pacer

There is a club in Phoenix....

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

A nice find in the glove box of the green ‘79 was some original paperwork for my yellow ‘80!

Man, I wish it still had the original blue plates

In Charge of McGov Only

Born In The USA

If you have some spray carb cleaner, it works like gas. Starting fluid burns so fast that it detonates, and could (in theory) break ring lands.

Mechanical fuel pumps have a diaphragm and inlet, and outlet check valves. If the diaphragm has a hole in it, gas usually runs out onto the ground. If the valves have anything blocking their closure, it can't pump. If the supply line is cracked, it will only pump the air that goes in there. If you take off the gas cap, and pull the supply hose from the pump, you can blow air back into the tank and hear it bubbling, or hissing out where the line is broken. You can apply a little pressure at the tank filler opening and fuel will come out the hose you took off the pump. Nothing can go wrong with that.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550